• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
King K. Rool was amazing in that footage! Combos and all! I am definitely maiming this guy now! Can’t wait for this game!

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
He looks awesome, but one thing I've noticed is I haven't seen him cancel his blunderbuss after firing the cannonball. If he can't cancel the sucking animation that'd be pretty rough. And I haven't seen the cannonball be shot at any other angle after he sucks it in.
But he can suck in characters which kinda of make up for it

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
But he can suck in characters which kinda of make up for it
I don't know about that. If he can't cancel and move after shooting the blunderbuss and is stuck doing the sucking animation that'd be a pretty big hit on the move.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
So the blunderbuss's projectile is slow enough for K. Rool to combo people into it after it's fired, but that might only be possible if he sucks it up with the latter half of the move since he seems forced to inhale after the first shot. This is interesting because it makes it the only projectile move I can think of that actively encourages the enemy NOT to reflect it.
Also, cannonball seems to either drop to the ground or get knocked back when attacked, since Snake definitely doesn't have a reflect but K. Rool was able to suck the thing up anyway and set up the crazy f-air kill combo in the video. It looks like Snake throws his grenade at the cannonball, the grenade explodes on contact, and the cannonball looks like it just stops and K. Rool's able to get it back.

Crown turning into an item only seems to happen if it hits the ground after it returns past its starting point and doesn't meet K. Rool as it travels back - question of the day is if K. Rool himself can use the crown as an item or if picking it up just pops it back on his head to let him use the initial move again. The former option would be more exciting because it'd give him potential to goof around with z-dropping and upwards crown tosses and what have you.

K. Rool looks to have a very weird projectile game that's unlike any other fighter. Whether that's for better or for worse will probably depend on the matchup, but his normals also seem solid so at the very least he'll be a real threat at close-range.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Giving K. Rool projectiles with built in drawbacks allows him to have projectiles in the first place.

Since he is a heavyweight and probably fairly powerful.

StormC

Smash Hero
I wonder if Snake was chosen because of ballot write-ups saying “he could be like Snake, a heavy with a focus on traps/projectiles.”

As it stands, he’s basically Bowser and Duck Hunt in a blender, which is pretty much what I expected - and hoped for, since I played as them a lot in Smash 4. My new main is looking better every day.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
K. Rool straight up has Kragg's f-air from Rivals of Aether.

I am officially terrified.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Oy Kutthroats!

Also :ultgreninja:'D.
Not going to lie, when I saw this.

I was like:

"PLEASE STOP, THIS MAN HAVE A FAMILY"

Also, here is a gif of his victory animation.
Damn K. Rool is looking mad impressive. Gotta love the blunderbuss kombo. Plus that victory pose looks awesome and to think there is at least two more of those! I can't wait to play as him.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
K. Rool straight up has Kragg's f-air from Rivals of Aether.

I am officially terrified.
He also might have a move similar to Kragg's rock.

Be afraid.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Am I the only one that would like the jewel to stay at the top end of his golden chest plate instead of lower like it seems to fall during gameplay??? Something about it makes K. Rool look less "not put together".

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I appreciate how the occasional petty online comments about K. Rool's "fat and ugly" Rare design got answered by Sakurai literally having him bloat his gut up to three times its regular size for moves like DSpecial and NAir.

"You thought this was fat and ugly?"

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I love how the Blunderbuss has just become everything Bowser Jr's Cannonball Shot should have been.

I appreciate how the occasional petty online comments about K. Rool's "fat and ugly" Rare design got answered by Sakurai literally having him bloat his gut up to three times its regular size for moves like DSpecial and NAir.

"You thought this was fat and ugly?"
Those same people probably complain about Smash having too many "anime" characters too.

Like what do you even want, seriously?

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
it's weird that it never occured to me that K. Rool could use his fatness as a means of attack. its one of his most prominent features! I love how most people reacted to his taunt where he slaps his belly "He's Thicc!!" (looking at you shofu)

Last edited:

Sleepy_Icarus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarrKnight
3DS FC
4639-9220-1156
I don't why people would have beef with K. Rool just because of his appearance. His design is honestly such a breath of fresh air to have among the Smash cast. He's so goofy and cartoony, which really lends him well for the devs to play with his proportions in his animations. We should embrace our round, scaly overlord.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
I watched the Snake/Rool footage before I went to work and man...not only was that cannonball combo great but his size is perfect. He looks huge, exactly what I wanted from him. And though I do like his victory theme, I was expecting the failure fanfare from DKC1 when you lose a challenge in the bonus room or going back to Brawl, a small snippet of Welcome to Crocodile Isle. Nonetheless, he looks fantastic.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Dang, K. Rool is looking pretty darn good for a heavyweight type character. He looks really fun to play as. So far out of the entire playable cast he's seems to be the most likely to end up as one of my mains.

Oh boy, imagine team matches with K. Rool. That Blunderbuss could lead into some great moments...
Yes King K. Rool and Ridley team!

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Idk if he has is "OOOF" sound at all. Maybe Sakurai saw that noise as a part of his goofy side and didn't want to use it. It would have been so cool to hear him go "ONK" when being KO'd though..shoot..

Standlord

Smash Cadet
I have to say, he looks promising. I've never liked K Rool's appearance and that's why he's never been in my whish list for smash and I didn't care for his inclusion (although I thought he deserved to be in and we needed more villains) but, watching him in actual gameplay makes me think he is gonna be very fun to use and his animations look much better than what I thought they would be like. I'm actually more excited to play him than the rest of the newcomers even though he's never been on my radar.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I figured the honk was a longshot. He isn’t “retro” styled like Mega Man is.

Curious what his star KO sounds like though.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
The real important question nobody seems to be asking...

Does Kirby get a pirate hat when he copies K. Rools Blunderbuss ability?

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
The real important question nobody seems to be asking...

Does Kirby get a pirate hat when he copies K. Rools Blunderbuss ability?
I'd guess so. I think he will have the Kaptain hat in the same way he has Lucina's mask, a temporary but iconic item of the character he's copying.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
SourceGaming has translated some of Sakurai’s recent comments in Famitsu, and well, as we expected...

To the surpise of absolutely no one.

Though, I believe he won the thing, but aren't just going to go back on the Bayo announcement.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
SourceGaming has translated some of Sakurai’s recent comments in Famitsu, and well, as we expected...

K. Rool support is just an echo chamber, kids these days don't know who he is!:troll:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
He didn't go into his move set and wants to leave room for imagination... Uhhh..what..?

If this man does not talk about King K. at all, I will lose my mind! Please don't tell me that little Famitsu explanation is all we get. Then it will feel like he doesn't want to speak about him..

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
"Doesn't want to speak to him", what are you trying to imply my friend.
That he doesn't really like King K Rool or was "forced" to put him in? He has complete control over the roster. As much as we have pointed out K. Rool wouldn't be here without us, and it's true, K. Rool is also a "Sakurai choice" as much as any other relevant character is. He had to pull the lever and agree with us. Not every popular character is going to have that happen.

It would be cool to see more comments but the main thing is K. Rool is in the game.
That's a comment in itself.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Yeah, if he didn't want K. Rool in, then he probably wouldn't be in right now. I think the more likely case is that he's saving further comments on K. Rool for a time when he has more space to do so. He did mention that there was a lot he wanted to talk about in the column.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, if he didn't want K. Rool in, then he probably wouldn't be in right now. I think the more likely case is that he's saving further comments on K. Rool for a time when he has more space to do so. He did mention that there was a lot he wanted to talk about in the column.
This. It's amazingly arrogant to think that anybody but top Nintendo executives can strong-arm Sakurai to do anything he doesn't want to. He doesn't give a crap about the bellyaching of random internet people, Daddy Sakurai does what he pleases. It's how we got dudes like Mr. G&W, Wii Fit Trainer and ROB into the roster. It's pretty clear to me that nobody "forced" Sakuari to add in Ridley and K. Rool, he added them in because he wanted to throw fans a bone and he saw interesting moveset potential in them, nothing more nothing less.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Nobody is saying he didn't want him. I said I 100% expect to hear about this character in detail from Sakurai. I expect him to be explained just like any other Newcomer was thus far.

I'm just want this character to detailed by word of mouth like all the others. One of my worst fears is getting little to no information from the man himself, so if that happens it will be pretty upsetting.

Obviously King K wouldn't be in the game if Sakurai didn't like him. However, I like many others want that proper move set/character explanation and nothing less will suffice. Our favorite game villain deserves that in-depth review.

Even Ridley was briefly discussed by him for 5ish minutes at the E3 Treehouse.

Last edited:
Top Bottom