• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think we should record our live reactions when (if) K. Rool is announced in the next directs and then post them here, what do you guys think?
I was thinking it would be fun to record my reaction.

But really, the most excited I ever react is my eyes slightly widening and saying "Oh, hey. That's cool"

I don't really react

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
My friends and I all had a reaction video about Ultimate's reveal, we even did it for most of Smash 4's reveals. We're definitely going to do it again for the rest of the reveals too. (I'd link the reaction to Ridley, but this is the King's turf!) :ultridley:

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
My friends and I all had a reaction video about Ultimate's reveal, we even did it for most of Smash 4's reveals. We're definitely going to do it again for the rest of the reveals too. (I'd link the reaction to Ridley, but this is the King's turf!) :ultridley:
Then PM me, I gotta see that ^^

I subscribed to the Direct calendar in case. :)

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
Sadly, I doubt it. The previous Japanese tournaments did not reveal any newcomers.
Now that you mention it, I probably misread that line about fighting game personalities. I wonder when the next time we will be getting any kind of official news in regards to new characters or anything, though I won't believe anything until I see it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Among tehponycorn's stash of leaks, one of them pertained to possible Retro DKC info:

Hello Everyone. I have a dear friend (who will remain anonymous due to his request and business reasons) that has a good chunk of information regarding the new Donkey Kong game on the switch created by Retro Studios. Don't get yout hopes up, this will not release anytime soon and isn't even being fully developed. This is just the direction in which they wish to take the new Donkey Kong game on the switch.

The game will be called Donkey Kong Country: The Rescue and is planned to be released sometime in 2021, most likely being the big announcement of that year (like Smash bros was for 2018). The plot is that King K. Rool wants to take over the island one last time, and he wants to start doing so by capturing Diddy Kong and taking him away. The goal is to stop K. Rool from ruling the island and also to save Diddy.

There will be more cutscenes than ever before. There will always be the opening and closing cuteness, as well as the cutscenes for each individual big boss, but they took a different route to add a couple more. Squacks (the bird that helps you find puzzle pieces) will follow K Rool and Diddy Kong and tell you about the progress K Rool is making. This is similar to how different toads talked about Peach in Super Mario 3d land, except Squacks will be comical and you get more of a cutscene.

There are 10 different worlds planned, and you will fight K Rool in world 5 and world 10. 6 different Kongs will be playable: Donkey Kong, Funky Kong, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, newly playable Kiddy Kong, and Diddy Kong. Diddy Kong will be playable in boss battle 5 when you regain control of him for that level, and also for the entirety of World 10, when you completely gain him back. (Diddy Kong manages to escape K. Rool by himself after K Rool trips on a banana) and is then playable in World 10. In addition however, there are extra levels in each world that are unlocked after beating the game if you want to use Diddy Kong more.

This game can be played by 4 players. The first 2 players are automatically Funky and Donkey Kong, but players 3 and 4 have a choice to choose between the others. There are three modes, easy moderate and hard. The one thing you should all know is that if player 3 jumps on Donkey Kong's back for example, both of them will take a heart of damage if they are hit. Each character has 2 hearts.

Believe this or don't. Doesn't really matter. Have a good day to all who are reading.

What do you think of this, ladies and gentlemen?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I probably won't, so I'll just tell you that mine will probably look like this.
Man I did like DK64.

I'm usualyy not big on platformers, but this was the first Nintendo game I got. And I finally beat it.

Really hope to see more DK64 representation in Smash, including a certain crocodile...

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Among tehponycorn's stash of leaks, one of them pertained to possible Retro DKC info:

Hello Everyone. I have a dear friend (who will remain anonymous due to his request and business reasons) that has a good chunk of information regarding the new Donkey Kong game on the switch created by Retro Studios. Don't get yout hopes up, this will not release anytime soon and isn't even being fully developed. This is just the direction in which they wish to take the new Donkey Kong game on the switch.

The game will be called Donkey Kong Country: The Rescue and is planned to be released sometime in 2021, most likely being the big announcement of that year (like Smash bros was for 2018). The plot is that King K. Rool wants to take over the island one last time, and he wants to start doing so by capturing Diddy Kong and taking him away. The goal is to stop K. Rool from ruling the island and also to save Diddy.

There will be more cutscenes than ever before. There will always be the opening and closing cuteness, as well as the cutscenes for each individual big boss, but they took a different route to add a couple more. Squacks (the bird that helps you find puzzle pieces) will follow K Rool and Diddy Kong and tell you about the progress K Rool is making. This is similar to how different toads talked about Peach in Super Mario 3d land, except Squacks will be comical and you get more of a cutscene.

There are 10 different worlds planned, and you will fight K Rool in world 5 and world 10. 6 different Kongs will be playable: Donkey Kong, Funky Kong, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, newly playable Kiddy Kong, and Diddy Kong. Diddy Kong will be playable in boss battle 5 when you regain control of him for that level, and also for the entirety of World 10, when you completely gain him back. (Diddy Kong manages to escape K. Rool by himself after K Rool trips on a banana) and is then playable in World 10. In addition however, there are extra levels in each world that are unlocked after beating the game if you want to use Diddy Kong more.

This game can be played by 4 players. The first 2 players are automatically Funky and Donkey Kong, but players 3 and 4 have a choice to choose between the others. There are three modes, easy moderate and hard. The one thing you should all know is that if player 3 jumps on Donkey Kong's back for example, both of them will take a heart of damage if they are hit. Each character has 2 hearts.

Believe this or don't. Doesn't really matter. Have a good day to all who are reading.

What do you think of this, ladies and gentlemen?
The title is really lame IMO and Kiddy coming back? Yeah right why would they bring arguably the worst and least relevant Kong member back? That being said it sounds like it would kinda work and be true. Although 10 worlds PLUS bonus levels sounds like a bit much considering Tropical Freeze only had 6 worlds and LESS stages than Returns. Also what has Retro been working on all this time? If it's this and it doesn't release until 2021 we would've gone a whole 7 year gap between releases. While this does sound too good to be true, I can see the message boards going into a frenzy about how "Retro is making ANOTHER 2D DK game and it took them 7 years!?"

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Man I did like DK64.

I'm usualyy not big on platformers, but this was the first Nintendo game I got. And I finally beat it.

Really hope to see more DK64 representation in Smash, including a certain crocodile...
I did enjoy it, but not as much as Banjo-Kazooie or Banjo Tooie. It just has too much in it, with some of the challenges being copy and paste. I do love exploring the worlds though and I'd love to see Nintendo take another crack at making Donkey Kong in 3D.

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone ever like Kiddy Kong? I always felt the character alone was what gave DKC3 such a bad name. They could of easily had it be Dixie and DK out to save Diddy and I think people would of eaten it up. Though to be fair, I didnt really like the redesigns/new kremlings much. They looked really weird. DKC and DKC2 had them down so perfectly.

Its also funny that im coming to the realization that despite the crown and cape being the absolute most iconic version of K.Rool, it also has the least amount of move set potential when compared to the Captain K.Rool set, which puts him in sort of an awkward situation. I could never imagine K.Rool without his his famous Crown Throw, but outside of that and the cannon ball drops, there isint much to the fight that can be used move set wise.

Meanwhile the pirate outfit has Cannon Ball and Fog Projectiles, Blunderbuss's ability to suck enemies in ((which could be a command throw)), the ability to disappear and teleport around, using the blunderbuss to glide across the floor ((or hell be used as a Up-B or side B kind of deal))

I cant imagine K.Rool not having his classic outfit for the starting outfit, but its going to be interesting to see how much they use the blunderbuss in his moveset. It actually makes me wonder if K.rool's redesign will be minimal and instead they will redesign a special royal looking Blunderbuss for the regular costume and then switch it back to the old version when you switch to the pirate outfit. ((If I am being honest, I never really was able to get into DKC3 so if the Doctor outfit doesnt make much of an appearance, I wont be all that choked up a bout it, but we will just have to see))

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was listening to those HD restored versions of the songs from the DKC series

I'm convinced some of the sounds were added with the idea of how they'd sound after compression. Because there are some parts that sound worse in HD

I think David Wise did make them with an idea of how they'd sound compressed and made them for that rather than to be listened to in HD

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Did anyone ever like Kiddy Kong? I always felt the character alone was what gave DKC3 such a bad name. They could of easily had it be Dixie and DK out to save Diddy and I think people would of eaten it up. Though to be fair, I didnt really like the redesigns/new kremlings much. They looked really weird. DKC and DKC2 had them down so perfectly.

Its also funny that im coming to the realization that despite the crown and cape being the absolute most iconic version of K.Rool, it also has the least amount of move set potential when compared to the Captain K.Rool set, which puts him in sort of an awkward situation. I could never imagine K.Rool without his his famous Crown Throw, but outside of that and the cannon ball drops, there isint much to the fight that can be used move set wise.

Meanwhile the pirate outfit has Cannon Ball and Fog Projectiles, Blunderbuss's ability to suck enemies in ((which could be a command throw)), the ability to disappear and teleport around, using the blunderbuss to glide across the floor ((or hell be used as a Up-B or side B kind of deal))

I cant imagine K.Rool not having his classic outfit for the starting outfit, but its going to be interesting to see how much they use the blunderbuss in his moveset. It actually makes me wonder if K.rool's redesign will be minimal and instead they will redesign a special royal looking Blunderbuss for the regular costume and then switch it back to the old version when you switch to the pirate outfit. ((If I am being honest, I never really was able to get into DKC3 so if the Doctor outfit doesnt make much of an appearance, I wont be all that choked up a bout it, but we will just have to see))
I don't hate Kiddy and never quite understood why people hate him so much. Also, DKC3 is my favorite.

StormC

Smash Hero
Having DK in Kiddy's role would have brought the trilogy full circle, but it also risks taking the spotlight away from Dixie in her own game.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't know if it's true, but I keep hearing Rare didn't use Donkey Kong to prove they weren't just leeching off the iconicness of Donkey Kong.

Some kind of feud between RARE and Nintendo.

And that whole Miyamoto quote.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't know if it's true, but I keep hearing Rare didn't use Donkey Kong to prove they weren't just leeching off the iconicness of Donkey Kong.

Some kind of feud between RARE and Nintendo.

And that whole Miyamoto quote.
The Miyamoto quote has far as I know never been proven to be true.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't hate Kiddy and never quite understood why people hate him so much. Also, DKC3 is my favorite.
Probably because he replaced Donkey Kong in DKC3.

Though, in retrospect, it's still surprising that the guy the series is named after only got to be playable in the first game of the original trilogy. That's like having Sonic 2 and 3 with no playable Sonic.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I'd like to give my two cents on the potential moveset. I could see Sakurai latch onto the insanity aspect and give K. Rool some madeup moves where he just goes completely and violently crazy on his opponent(s). Ridley's cruelty being reflected in his moveset gives precedence for this possibility.

Last edited:

Draugen

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to give my two cents on the potential moveset. I could see Sakurai latch onto the insanity aspect and give K. Rool some madeup moves where he just goes completely and violently crazy on his opponent(s). Ridley's cruelty being reflected in his moveset gives precedence for this possibility.
That would be pretty nice. It was quite shocking back in the days seeing K. Rool torturing a tied Donkey Kong before the final fight.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I think he'll have a Kaptain K. Rool costume, he could just throw his pirate hat instead. However I don't think he'll have his DKC3 and 64 costumes although they will probably be referenced in his moveset with boxing gloves and the helipack.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Well, Níntendo showed some interest in EVO in recent years. Other companies bring some news at the event, it would't be a surprise. A long month since the announcement is enough waiting and with Wario Ware hitting the shops Ashley would be a good timing if she's in.

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
Well, Níntendo showed some interest in EVO in recent years. Other companies bring some news at the event, it would't be a surprise. A long month since the announcement is enough waiting and with a popular choice Wario Ware hitting the shops. Ashley K.ROOL would be a good timing if she's in.
corrected quote

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I know it's not going to happen, but I really wish when he gets added that he'd be as Kaptain K. Rool instead of King.

I just find his Kaptain design a lot more interesting. As opposed to yet another "fat monster king" archetype that we already have multiples of in Smash.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I know it's not going to happen, but I really wish when he gets added that he'd be as Kaptain K. Rool instead of King.

I just find his Kaptain design a lot more interesting. As opposed to yet another "fat monster king" archetype that we already have multiples of in Smash.
By multiple do you mean Bowser and King Dedede? That's really only two. Also I wouldn't really classify Dedede as a "monster" he's just a fat penguin.

StormC

Smash Hero

Kaptain is kooler but King is more recognizable.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well sure. But Bowser is just a fat turtle and K. Rool is just a fat crocodile.
In fairness, Bowser is the archetype for "big monster kings" (which Ganondorf is whenever he's not a plain Gerudo) and similar villain types that are bulky and/or scary enough to qualify (like Gruntilda and the Shake King). Which there is still a relative few of in Smash compared to the perceived "swordsman" problem.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Which there is still a relative few of in Smash compared to the perceived "swordsman" problem.
That's just it. "swordsman" is a perceived problem. And I'd prefer "fat monster king" not become a similar problem.

Besides, gotta save that third spot for King Hippo!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
To be honest, I don't think the "fat monster king" trope is going to bother people as much as the sword-users, seeing as Bowser, K. Rool and Dedede are more obviously different from each other visually than even the likes of, say, Marth and Shulk. they're about as comparable to the bipedal humanoid Pokemon we have in Smash already (Mewtwo, Lucario and Greninja).

StormC

Smash Hero
A bunch of pale skinned thin humans with swords

vs.

a few evil big monster boys

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
*Kaptain K. Rool gets added.*
Sakurai: "I'm terribly sorry. I know you all wanted to play as King K. Rool, but I hope you will enjoy playing as his brother instead."

Meanwhile, is anyone else annoyed that Donkey Kong isn't included in the Mario Kart Hot Wheels lineup? He's the only character that has been in literally every Mario Kart game who isn't getting the Hot Wheels treatment. (I can't say I have any intention of buying these things personally, but it always annoys me when Nintendo reminds us that DK just isn't their favorite franchise.)

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
*Kaptain K. Rool gets added.*
Sakurai: "I'm terribly sorry. I know you all wanted to play as King K. Rool, but I hope you will enjoy playing as his brother instead."

Meanwhile, is anyone else annoyed that Donkey Kong isn't included in the Mario Kart Hot Wheels lineup? He's the only character that has been in literally every Mario Kart game who isn't getting the Hot Wheels treatment. (I can't say I have any intention of buying these things personally, but it always annoys me when Nintendo reminds us that DK just isn't their favorite franchise.)
DK wasn't in Super Mario Kart, and he took DK Junior's spot from MK64 onwards. But hey I don't blame ya, it's easy to get confused over that matter.
Actually, since the DK from Country is canonically supposed to be DK Junior, they're one and the same... so technically DK was in every MK.
But you bringing Mario Kart reminds me that Nintendo never does seems to do DK justice and it goes far beyond Smash... I mean, only DK and not even, at the very least, Diddy in MK8?

Last edited:
Top Bottom