• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kid Icarus Uprising

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Have been toying with a random Electroshock Arm I've had for a while. Not streamlined but still effective.

R:4.5 M:4 V:288 / Conf+3 / Hom+1 / Run+4
RB4 / HL3 / EC3 / Rnd1

Ended up getting a pretty useless V:339 Stealth Claws last night during Ch13 w/ Palm.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Been running into a lot of players online who won't do anything so they turn into angels on purpose. Definitely annoying to have them on your team or to fight against.

Finally found a good way to counter Energy Charge after playing a few players who loved spaming it. Just used a Mega Laser to snipe them at a distance to punish them. lol

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I love going up against people who turn into angels on purpose. They become very easy to predict and get a handle on how they play.
I found that most people that do that are just scrubs.

When they're on your team, I just quit and find another match once that match is over.

:phone:

Braxton2011

Smash Ace
NNID
Braxtonian8
3DS FC
4167-4550-9020
God, I fought some Nip who had the following.

Brawler Claws
R0, M6
Shot Defense +4
Speed +2
Melee Combo +4
Melee Dash Attack +4
Shot Cancelation +1
Dash Charge Shot -2.

My Lancer Staff usually OHKO's anyone at mid range. It does 304 when you get it just right.
At perfected close range, I only took off half health.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
KI 2 came out in the eshop

I will give you the key to the game: Farm 999 hearts by the end of each level.

Since you start every level with 999 (After the first), you can't farm any more, so spend ALL your hearts every level than collect 999 hearts again.

Only hearts you collect during the level count toward your score. If you have 999 you collected the previous level, you get a score of 0. Any hearts you collect while you have 999 don't count toward your score.

Why does score matter? Score is what health upgrades are based on. The higher your score, the higher amount of health you have.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
That's pretty much what I do when I play that game. lol

Though I've never run into that problem as I don't hold onto my hearts for very long, I like to spend them on items so I can make it through dungeons and beat the bosses (who are harder than the ones in first game)...

Would love to see another 2d KI game before we get another Uprising style game.

Life

Smash Hero
Honestly, this game is balanced around LVD and I can't imagine it being easy to do a LVD ladder. 1v1 could work but is imba.

I'd really like a tournament but I can't imagine there being enough interest. It's a conundrum.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
Daedalus, here's my advice:

*Stop being a darwinistic hypocrite. It's been old since day 1.
*You claimed that I died more times than you in the match. I died only once, from being out of SA/Counter charges, and you died once too. At best, you're exaggerating the lead you got over me, which was purely a 3 KO lead, no less deaths than me.
*The problem with range 1HKs is that on their own, they prevent any options that aren't excessively strong from working, and anything that fails will simply do NO damage to the abusers, as if the Value system wasn't borked enough. Range 1HKs only works in a simple FPS. Here, add in the power system for anti-melee options and you have to tag the pests MULTIPLE TIMES EACH, when they only need to tag you ONCE.
*I put EVERY SINGLE POWER, SEARCHING THOROUGHLY, that could be used to combat range shenanigans in a single set (Mega Laser, Black Hole, Reflect Barrier, and Lightweight) and still could fit in Counter and Effect Recovery. If you don't believe me about that being every power, name ONE power outside the set that could help against range combat. Quick Charge is the only one that could come CLOSE, but ends up trying and failing miserably to fight fire with fire. I dumped Super Armor for ironically similar reasons.
*Which brings me to this point: why should I overfocus on combatting one problem just to stand a chance? I go to clubs for strategic factor, not to be forced to do one particular thing altogether. Granted, I do like the dynamic of the Mega Laser-Black Hole-Reflect Barrier combination (ML for control, BH for offense, RB for defense) but why should I be outright basically forced to use that? Give me more likeable options, like have Super Armor be better than providing only 1 charge at L1 for 1 more space than freaking Counter L2. Actually, better yet, provide a KB-immunity power that focuses more on space control than the other two, which don't even do anything to address it particularly well without being bolstered by other powers. There. More strategy along the KB-immunity stuff. Less need for particular powers to deal with one problem.

Know what though? KIU is hopelessly imbalanced. I'm sorry, but when I get 2 shotted by claws with only Aries Armor active when I'm having top notch defense, there's a problem. It earned itself a rant:
http://masterknightdh.deviantart.co...sing-s-balance-has-failed-miserably-317376279
Yeah, I shelved it. The touch of death claws problem wouldn't even be fixed by my Knight Charge power idea:
http://real-game-balance.blogspot.com/2012/07/kid-icarus-uprising-power-idea-knight.html

Good day.

Life

Smash Hero
Got a couple dozen tags at the Zelda concert this evening. I wonder if some of these people even realize you don't lose the weapon you make a gem of...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well you guys complaining and making bad Brawl jokes are certainly depressing. Uprising's mulitplayer is closer to the Mario Kart series than a fighter or shooter, who cares about balance, it's supposed to be a game that anyone can pick up and play and have fun with, and even then unlike MK you still get a lot out of it even if you lose.

Was able to setup DayBreak a few times within a small set of 10 matches I did earlier. So satisfying to complete it right when an angel walks by. :shades:

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Finally made a couple cannon sets. Still need to make a couple decent palm sets. This sets me at:

1. Eyetrack Orbitars
R:3.5 M:0 V:284 / HP+2 / Brn+2 / Sta+1 / FDCS+4 / FDCF+4 / IPAD+3
Black Hole Lv1 / Quick Charge Lv2 / Homing Boost Lv3 / Slip Shot Lv1 / Random Lv1

2. Aquarius Blade
R:3 M:2.5 V:289 / OvDef+2 / Weak+1 / DCF+3 / Item+3
Mega Laser Lv4 / Reflect Barrier Lv4 / Bumblebee Lv3

3. Upperdash Arm
R:3.5 M:3.5 V:259 / Shk+2 / Spd+2 / BDCF+1 / KBR +1
Mega Laser Lv1 / Virus Lv3 / Lightweight Lv3 / Transparency Lv2
Or I could use: R:4 M:1 V:314 / OvDef+3 / HP+5 / MDA+3 / Item+1 / KBR+1
Personally Speed+Shaking+Lower Value sounds better.

4. Laser Staff
R:5 M:2 V:304 / KBDef+3 / Frz+4 / Heal+4
Sky Jump Lv1 / Quick Charge Lv2 / Slip Shot Lv2 / Invisible Shot Lv1 / Health Recovery Lv1 / Random Lv1
I really don't ever use this.

5. Phosphora Bow
R:4.5 M:4.5 V:288 / KBDef+1 / HP+1 / Cnf+2 / MC+1 / FHB+2
Reflect Barrier Lv1 / Quick Charge Lv3 / Slip Shot Lv2 / Lightweight Lv2

6. Compact Arm
R:4 M:3.5 V:288 / Spd+3 / DCS+1 / SCF+2 / MC+4 / HP-1
Invisible Shots Lv2 / Trade-off Lv3 / Playing Dead Lv3

7. Electroshock Arm
R:4.5 M:4 V:288 / Cnf+3 / Hom+1 / Run+4
Reflect Barrier Lv4 / Heavenly Light Lv3 / Energy Charge Lv3 / Random Lv1

8. Crusader Blade
R:5.5 M:1 V:291 / OvDef+1 / Psn+4 / Hom+2 / Run+3 / IPAD+1
Angelic Missile Lv1 / Quick Charge Lv2 / Tempura Attack Lv3 / Darkness Lv1 / Lightweight Lv1

9. Flintlock Staff
R:5.5 M:0 V:261 / Para+1 / FDCS+1 / KBR+1 / FHB+6
Sky Jump Lv1 / Warp Lv3 / Reflect Barrier Lv3 / Health Recovery Lv4 / Random Lv1

10. Magnus Club
R:0.5 M:5.5 V:242 / Frz+4 / Sta+3
Black Hole Lv3 / Lightweight Lv4 / Aries Armor Lv4

11. Darkness Bow
R:4.5 M:2 V:269 / OvDef+2 / FDCS+4
Explosive Flame Lv1 / Autoreticle Lv1 / Quick Charge Lv3 / Slip Shot Lv3 / Counter Lv1

12. Bear Claws
R:0.5 M:2.5 V:282 / OvDef+3 / Eva+2 / SDCS+2 / MC+3 / Heal+4 / KBR+1
Heavenly Light Lv3 / Poison Attack Lv1 / Virus Lv1 / Counter Lv3 / Transparency Lv3

13. Ball Cannon
R:1.5 M:3 V:220 / Para+2 / MC+4 / MDA+1
Explosive Flame Lv4 / Homing Boost Lv1 / Libra Sponge Lv2 / Counter Lv1

14. EZ Cannon
R:3 M:0 V:260 / OvDef+2 / SCS+1 / FDCS+4 / IPAB+5
Angelic Missile Lv4 / Speed Boost Lv1 / Mega Laser Lv1 / Energy Charge Lv4

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Well you guys complaining and making bad Brawl jokes are certainly depressing. Uprising's mulitplayer is closer to the Mario Kart series than a fighter or shooter, who cares about balance, it's supposed to be a game that anyone can pick up and play and have fun with, and even then unlike MK you still get a lot out of it even if you lose.:
Games as unbalanced as KI don't become fun. They become annoying, and show just how bad of a multi player it is. Sure, its fun, whether win or lose, but fun gets thrown out the window when balance makes skill irrelevant.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Games as unbalanced as KI don't become fun. They become annoying, and show just how bad of a multi player it is. Sure, its fun, whether win or lose, but fun gets thrown out the window when balance makes skill irrelevant.

Speak for yourself, I feel that I'm getting better at the game all the time and am having fun while doing it. :bee:

Only time I get frustated is when my rest of my team does nothing the entire match.

I already have several gameplans based on which stage I'm on, what weapons and powers my enemies are using, as well as my own weapons and powers. Often times I feel like I'm playing a strategy game more than anything. Took me a while to find a set of weapons and powers that I enjoy and work together, so it's satisfying to use them.

Yeah, I'll get my *** handed to me every once in a while, but I then look at what weapons my opponents use as well as well paying deep attention to what powers they use. I feel like I'm learning all the time. The game's so deep it's feels great to experiment with everything.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Got a couple dozen tags at the Zelda concert this evening. I wonder if some of these people even realize you don't lose the weapon you make a gem of...
I'm 100% sure they don't.

I always give my best weapon, and get level 1 junk from other people

Reason why I stopped bringing it to places, and eventually stopped playing

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Nah, KI:U is balanced just fine. All the butthurt about powers/broken weapons stems from an inability to make better weapons themselves.

Only problem with the game is that the fusion system is too hard to people without extensive experience and workarounds to ever get a decent amount of good specialized weapons. As well as a lack of ability to actually test, and implement theories at a reliable rate.

I can guarantee you that if it only took maybe a week or two to make value 260-299 dream weapons, there'd be a LOT less whining.
The fact is, pretty much every KI:U player's weapons never even come close to their full potential. And the problem weapons/powers you see stem from the easier to meet potential weapons.

Ex. Eyetracks are pretty hated, even though the Great Reaper palm is probably better in every way. Harder loops, doesn't suffer from the cancellation problem, and has better charge time, damage(with weakening up) and cont. fire. (less overall range, however)

Problem is, it demands everything eyetracks needs, and weakening. And in order to have decent power, a good negative mod.
Those 2 extra mods make it maybe twice as hard to make as those eyetracks you keep getting crushed by.

Whether GRP is actually superior to ETs is entirely debateable, but it's comparable strength is not. So the fact you see people only whining about ETs and not GRP is proof that the claims of imbalance stem from an inability to tap into the full potential of weapons en masse.

Same with magnus, all it needs is dash ch. shot, and speed... if even that.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Same with magnus, all it needs is dash ch. shot, and speed... if even that.
I get by just fine with my Magnus. Would prefer Speed over Stamina, yeah..Freezing means that, no matter how bad your ranged stat is, BDCS = frozen opponent = dead opponent (unless they have Warp/Effect Recovery).

I think without latency, you can lock opponents with a WCS (Walking Club Swing). Unable to test this, though. Looks viable because the fighter never exits their flinching stance.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I get by just fine with my Magnus. Would prefer Speed over Stamina, yeah..Freezing means that, no matter how bad your ranged stat is, BDCS = frozen opponent = dead opponent (unless they have Warp/Effect Recovery).

I think without latency, you can lock opponents with a WCS (Walking Club Swing). Unable to test this, though. Looks viable because the fighter never exits their flinching stance.
Status ailments on a magnus isn't so great considering if it hit already, it should've OHKO'd unless they had especially high defense. And even then, the backdash lets you accurately kill them when they get up from the first hit.

And i think only ogre club has a good melee swing game.
Freezing seems like a cp to a unique type of high level weapons.

-----------------------

lol@MKDH using an alt to get an agreeable opinion on DA.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
lol@dunnobro thinking that's an alt instead of a friend of mine on Skype. Because, you know, responding to a comment on my own journal post totally requires an alt.

"Nah, KI:U is balanced just fine. All the butthurt about powers/broken weapons stems from an inability to make better weapons themselves." Because using a top notch defense weapon and still being melee 2HKed by somebody using a weapon that closes the distance easily when they had no offense buffs active is totally balanced.

And needing to make "better" weapons in the first place, when Value exists to DISCOURAGE that? Congratulations, you just admitted the game is imbalanced.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Edit: Ahh, not gonna waste my time with someone who whines about balance, but has no experience with high-value specialized weapons like me.
Come back with some experience using good weapons, and then I might take you seriously.

Life

Smash Hero
Maybe we could scour the internet for KIU players and host a big 'ol tournament in a month or two? I don't think any *one* community has enough people to support a tournament unless it's 1v1, but I bet across the various KIU forums there are enough people to hold a reasonably-sized LVD event.

Top Bottom