• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KGD - The Kewkky Thread! - Kirby's Wasteland: Dead Social

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Zero's Meta Knight is doing everything and anything at the same time!! Or at least that's the illusion he gave me. His spacing is incredible! I mean, I wasn't going "tournament" mode against him but most of the outcomes in our in-game situations wouldn't have been too much different. I did a little bit of surprising stuff against him but he so superior. He's a cool guy over all, outside the game. Heheh, he called me "ChuDat2". Flattering really. :laugh:

I played Denti, too! Talk about reeeally tight matches. It's good to know that my Olimar MU is looking on the up and up. I wanna play him again!! I know I can take him!!! >=D

:phone:

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
lmao you want every mk to beat me hater~
That's not true Nairo. D:

If you look through my other posts (and even this one as I said I was really happy ZeRo beat Anti) ZeRo's one of my favorite players, he's my second favorite right now honestly, only M2K being higher. I root for M2K and ZeRo at all times, unless it's M2K vs ZeRo in which case I'd want M2K to win. I was happy when you beat Kakera and wanted you to beat Otori. I like seeing you beat Anti too when it happens (I dunno if yesterday counts, I dunno what he was doing not MK ditto'ing you XD). In that Wi-Fi tourney the other week if it means anything, I was sad when Tyrant beat you in WFs, but happy when you won GFs. XD

My top 5 favorite MK list is: M2K, ZeRo, RAIN, you and Anti. In that order

You just run into M2K every tourney so me rooting against you is nothing against you, I just love M2K and now ZeRo is really impressing me as well. XD

Nairo Nairo Nairo Nairo (to induce the namesearch, I don't want you thinking I always root against you, it's more like I always root for M2K... And now ZeRo. Looking forward to you beating Anti in MK dittos if he dittos you next time you meet in tourney. XD You beating Otori in a re-match would be really hype too.)

Zero's Meta Knight is doing everything and anything at the same time!! Or at least that's the illusion he gave me. His spacing is incredible! I mean, I wasn't going "tournament" mode against him but most of the outcomes in our in-game situations wouldn't have been too much different. I did a little bit of surprising stuff against him but he so superior. He's a cool guy over all, outside the game. Heheh, he called me "ChuDat2". Flattering really. :laugh:

I played Denti, too! Talk about reeeally tight matches. It's good to know that my Olimar MU is looking on the up and up. I wanna play him again!! I know I can take him!!! >=D

Yeah ZeRo's amazing. :D Btw speaking of Chu, I actually played Chu in friendlies yesterday, apparently he's been playing Sonic lately, he was using Sonic in a lot of friendlies and when we had a friendly round robin with him and some other MD/VA players, he went Sonic game 2 after ****** me with Kirby game 1. XD

Gonna pick up Sonic now to copy your teacher, Michael Kirby? ;D

Labernash

Smash Lord
You'll never beat Dentiiiiii!!!!

My main man.

Also, I would love to play Sonic, but my Sonic is sooo booty. I tried, at least. :(

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
That's true to an extent. I feel like the big thing Kirby has to do is get in (which is the hardest part) and make when he gets in count. Like you don't wanna get in just to do a 12% bair or 12% d-throw or something, when you get in, you wanna get a clean string of preferably 30%+ and if you can, still get Olimar in an uncomfortable position.

Getting in is too hard though, I just go MK vs Olimar. XD

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
The Olimar MU is really unique in the fact that Kirby's best neutral position on the ground is to be facing Olimar rather than having your back turned to him. Multiple hitting attacks are the best in the MU (F-air and D-air) cause they clash and win Vs most pikmin. Good thing is that your B-air will end up being a whole lot fresher. Getting in is not as hard as you might think. Olimar doesn't totally control the pace at which this MU is faught in. I'm just throwing my thoughts out there. I'm curious to hear as to what some of your tips are in this match-up. I've seen a lot of people say the match-up is hard, which it is, but I've rarely seen much in depth discussion about it. :ohwell:

How do you guys try to get in?
How do you guys go about gimping?
Share some knowledge with me! :bee:

Also, Poyo, I just got roomed up for a hotel so there's a possibility that I can attend all 3 days for Apex! What days will you be there?

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
I'll be there all three days! :D

Also just wondering MikeKirby, are you going to Collision and/or United this weekend? I got a crap ton of money (like $300) on Christmas and instead of doing the $50 MM (I haven't been practicing Kirby much lately, so I think you'd **** me), Me and my brother (Serynder) want to go to them (TWO tourneys before Apex would be great practice) so just wondering since you live in NJ/NY and know the community there, do you know who I should ask for housing/to pick us up from the bus station/take us back? If you don't it's cool but just wondering cause I wanna ask soon before everyone's houses are full.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
hello luco and ah i see kk i understand now poyo
Heya! :p

I didn't even know you were on the smashboards so i was actually surprised! Anyway... *is super nervous, runs away :p*

Anyway, why do i get the feeling that Oli would just out-prioritize SH Fair with a Fsmash? I'm not a kirby main but... which wins?

Also, been curious about this for a long time... do different pikmin have different priority on ground?

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Sounds great Poyo! I'm not sure who lives upstate but I will definitely ask around. You can try asking in the tourny thread and the NY/NJ thread. I'm planning on attending Collision.

Different Pikmin have different priority. Electric are the highest priority attacks he's got. Usually you don't want to challenge them head on. Olimar can hit you out of F-air with F-smash [especially with yellow] but with other pikmin you can beat it out clashing with your F-air.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Olimar is an easier MU than MK.

If the MK knows the MU, yes, if the MK doesn't know the Kirby MU, they'll approach more than they should and I'd rather play an MK that doesn't know the Kirby MU instead an Olimar that doesn't know the MU.

But yeah, Kirby can exploit Olimar's gimpability/juggle weaknesses, etc whereas Kirby can't really exploit MK. EVERY hit on an MK that's playing the MU right has to be a HARD read and when you lose the lead, MK can just play too safe vs Kirby and that's it. So yeah, I agree with you if the MK knows the MU, but I like playing MKs that don't know the MU. XD

Happy New Years Kirbys! :D

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
How do you guys try to get in?
How do you guys go about gimping?
Share some knowledge with me!
I like these questions! :D

Approaching Olimar is possibly Kirby's most difficult challenge in the match-up. As we know Kirby's aerial approaches can be punished from a defensive opponent and Olimar's usual choice of action is to go into defense mode when someone gets close. He's either going to Shield or become evasive, both of which make it difficult for Kirby to do what he does best and go toe-to-toe with the opponent (or in the case of B-air, 'toe-to-face'). If Kirby tries to approach when on the ground he has to watch out for Pivot Grabs as well, which, unfortunately due to it's ridiculous range, generally beats out Kirby's grab game.

All of the above is also complicated by the fact that as Kirby squares off with Olimar he's getting Pikmin tossed in his direction at every opportunity. For the most part I would say you should just ignore the Pikmin Toss with the exception of incoming Purple and White Pikmin. You'll want to avoid getting hit by the Purple since they will knock you around and you'll want to make sure to get White off of you since they deal extra damage. Other color Pikmin will only be doing small amounts of damage so it's best to keep your focus 100% on Olimar unless you're still at a far range.

When you get up close to Olimar you should already know what Olimar is going to do next, otherwise you're just going to be throwing out random choices and crossing your finger (and this is not the kind of match-up where you can't afford to do that). 'Reading' Olimar is actually more of accepting the fact that he has strong options against you but then not putting yourself into the position where the options will work.

For instance, if you want to get a Grab on Olimar don't do the usual 'run in and hold shield' tactic - he's probably just going to Pivot Grab you. Instead, 'read' the Pivot Grab and accept the fact that it will beat your 'run in and Shield' tactic. Set up the situation in which Olimar is going to Pivot Grab; you can now avoid it.

One thing to keep in mind is that the 'reward' for successful reads is going to look small for the Kirby player. In fact, the advantages could even seem non-existent. Just remember that in this match-up it's the little things that are important, not because they add up over time but because they help get you to where you're going: taking stocks. Taking stocks from Olimar is usually a very sudden turn of events. He's either going to grab that ledge or get gimped; he's either going to whistle through your F-smash or get KO'd; etc. It's the level of play you build along the way that gets you to that point.

So if you find yourself making 'good reads' but feel like you're still struggling to get anywhere, just keep it going until the big opportunity presents itself. The important part is to make yourself a threat to Olimar and to be able to roll with the punches.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Ugh I always try to kill off many of his Pikmin while approaching. I hate getting sent away by the Purple Pikmin and then he plucks more of them. I have real bad experience in fighting Olimar. I have an easier time once I get him off stage but sheesh. Honestly that is one character if I can avoid fighting then I'm happy. Give me Ice Climbers or Meta Knight any day.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Haven't posted here in a while...
So how have y'all been doing? :)
I still main Ness, but still have Kirby as one of my secondaries. XP

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Haven't posted here in a while...
So how have y'all been doing? :)
I still main Ness, but still have Kirby as one of my secondaries. XP
The Kirby boards have been doing great (except for the lamentations regarding the absence of Kewkky and Hostess cupcakes).

Ness and Kirby go way back due to their roots with HAL Laboratories.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Kirby used to be my secondary. Now he's my main as much as Ness

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I've watched the hobbit yesterday, and it was great. Now all I have left is watch another mlp episode on saturday and then get ready for english composition.

Thanks, man.
Until I finished the hobbit, i didn't even know they were going to do it in 4 parts. :laugh:

I remember sitting there going, "Wow this was longer than in the book, but they still have so far to go, oh maybe they're speeding up thi-nope."

Also, the Necromancer and the druid (can't remember his name :() weren't in the book. I'm interested to see what they do though. Also the river trading system will be awesome to see. Wonder if he'll spend years with the wood elves like he does in the book?

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Btw guys, I think I'm gonna keep Kirby for Wario too.

Reason being, a few weeks ago, during a Wi-Fi tourney, my MK got ***** by a Wario, it was just too hard to wait until 150%+ to kill him every stock and gimping Wario is hard. I use fair too much with MK as well which isn't good vs Wario. I played another Wario later and went Kirby this time, I feel my Kirby's bairs are good against Wario as well as Kirby having stronger kill moves than Wario. And tbh, I feel like Kirby's dair on Wario is better at gimping him than MK is at gimping Wario as his gimp moves like his dair are horizontal gimp moves and Wario's horizontal recovery is really good. I feel how I play Kirby is just better vs Wario than how my MK is vs Wario.

So yeah... I think I'm gonna use Kirby for Marth, Wario and Pikachu. Since ZeRo's gonna train me, I might go Kirby vs him too and maybe even get good at Kirby vs MK for MKs who are too good at the MK ditto. We'll see what happens. :D

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Kirby I started using since the game came out (when I was 10 xD) but Ness I started using in like June 2010. Now my playtime with Ness far exceeds my other characters lol

Also, I don't know why, but some reason I like going on Frigate as Kirby. XP

Top Bottom