• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Karissa the Destroyer" was a Marketing Hoax

Dan

Smash Lord
I don't really think anyone is mad about this. It just seems so pointless though. It's just a weird situation.

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867
I really wish this were real though. It made so many people salty. Lol

Cactusblah

Smash Apprentice
The question is whether someone had something to gain from doing this.

If this was just a prank, I don't see the problem. Pranks are funny. We all fell for it.

Dan

Smash Lord
The question is whether someone had something to gain from doing this.

If this was just a prank, I don't see the problem. Pranks are funny. We all fell for it.
Yeah, but I don't really see this as a prank though. It's still possible for a 10 year old to do this.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Well some little girls did look up to her after that as in " girls CAN play video games good~!" . and now that it is shown as a hoex....soo....
Maybe I'm a bit jaded but it's thier fault for having those expectations :/

I do empathize with the lack of role models but looking at this hoax and drawing conclusions that "this is a message stating girls can't game like guys" is pretty inaccurate IMO. Younger female smashers should look for more seasoned female smashers/gamers to emulate to. It's pretty quick to watch this video and immediately saying "This is my Smash role model" without getting to know who this girl is or her story. I empathize but I would be wary to attaching oneself to something so flimsy and uncertain. GameStop did mess up badly and should offer an apology and explanation for why they did this...though DDOS'ing the girls website is just plain awful...

We do need to support the younger female players by offering supportive encouragement and constructive criticism. This is indeed lacking in a general male dominated community with many unwilling to acknowledge/change the problem cause "derp it's just a joke". This change can only come from players and the leaders of the community.

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
So it was fake... Well easy come easy go. I wanted it to be real but oh well.

LOGIA666

Smash Apprentice
I'm honestly not upset about the hoax. I'm actually relieved that this is what actually happened, rather than the reality that a ten year old girl with zero smash experience can stomp all over competitive smashers who have done incredible amounts of practice, research, and have traversed many tournies over many years.

I'm not a fan of the idea that some kid can just be born into and skip what it takes to make it. Call me childish, or sexist, or an entitled competitive smash player. That's just how I feel about it. I didn't want to believe this girl could be anything other than what many would call "scrub material" (I wouldn't use that phrase, because I don't s*** all over less experienced players) and now I don't have to.

So all in all, I'm content. I have no plans to be up in this girl's face about this hoax. Just gonna let it bury itself.

Dan

Smash Lord
I don't really get it though. People who aren't interested in Smash are gonna get it now cause some 10 year old was good at it?

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
What is being marketed? Smash? Gamestop? The girl?
Smash? What else would it be? It's a weird headline that's going to draw attention to the game. The "scandal" of it all being a hoax will likely draw in even more business.

I don't really get it though. People who aren't interested in Smash are gonna get it now cause some 10 year old was good at it?
It's all about getting the word out there in a fun and interesting way. If even a hundred more people buy the game because of this than it was worth it. It's not like this cost them tons of money.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Why has smashboards front page turned into a freaking gossip page.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
There are so many people who are butthurt about this hoax that we're gonna need, like, a whole fleet of wambulances to deal with it.

Seriously, it's as if the offended people have never been pranked in their whole lives. It was all a JOKE, like whoever thought of this deserves a medal for comedic genius. Just look at the reactions it's getting, all because people are sexist or hate children or have trust issues or just can't take a joke.

The way I see it, this was probably a scheme cooked up by some "higher-ups" within the competitive Smash community (guys like D1) who just wanted to have a little fun, and what better way to have fun than to troll the crap out of the competitive Smash community? D1, BlackNerd, the "Secret Smasher" (whoever was actually playing), and anybody else who was involved in this are all amazing people and should be congratulated for their pranking prowess. They don't owe apologies or explanations to anybody because all they did was PULL A PRANK!

I'm actually surprised the Gamestop employees agreed to go along with this, but I am so glad they did. I bet at least one of them was a huge Smash fan. Like, most places would be a stick in the mud and shut this kind of thing down, but they decided to play ball and make this awesome joke possible. Props to Gamestop for being cool, they don't owe an apology or explanation to anybody just because they let some guys have their fun.

Nintendo probably had nothing to do with this, and if they did then colour me surprised and impressed. I can't think of a more inventive way to advertise the game as being playable by people of all ages, genders and skill levels than by having a young girl wipe the floor with some of the best players out there. Again IF Nintendo was involved, then I'd say this was a really refreshing and progressive form of marketing, and I hope they do more stuff like this in the future for other games. Nintendo doesn't owe apologies or explanations to anybody because they probably weren't even involved, and if they were then I say good marketing, keep it up!

The girl was just an actor doing her job, there's no reason to hate her. I mean, come on, she's only 10. How many of you were making money at that age? Besides, I don't know about the rest of you but I did some pretty stupid things when I was 10, and I didn't even get paid for it! The girl doesn't owe apologies or explanations to anybody because she was just doing her job, and she's just a kid, give her a break. Way to break down those social barriers and show that girls can play video games too, even if it's just as part of a prank! I will say that it's too bad she kept taking her hands off the controller and looking away from the screen when the advanced tech was happening, otherwise who knows how long this might have gone on.

When I first heard about this, I joked that the girl was actually Mew2King's daughter from the future who travelled back in time. Turns out I was wrong, and fell for this prank as hard as anybody else. But what's the point of a prank if nobody falls for it? I say congrats to the people who pulled it off, and stay strong against the hate! Watch this end up being a Sakurai Scheme all along, since he is the Master Troll.

Consider this: if this prank had been pulled on April 1 as part of an April Fool's Day joke, how many of you would be mad about it?

NiderQueen

Smash Cadet
NNID
YakiStrider2409
3DS FC
2681-0178-5926
:( I wanted to believe in The Destroyer....*sigh* WELP title of Mew2Princess is back on hold.
On a happier note, I do hope an actual child prodigy arises in the competitive smash community. It'd be awesome to see a 10 or 12 year old go up to Apex or even EVO and take on people like a boss.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
****ing unnecessary wall of text
I don't care about this entire ordeal, but i just wanted to say that pranks don't involve NDA's. Or casting call ads. Or the kind of money used to make this happen. Pranks are pranks. Hoaxes are hoaxes.

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
Some people are going to act like children about this, but it's a really funny and cool marketing campaign.
Wasted all those players' time is what it did. Was cheap tho, they hired D1 to grab our attention as to pull a marketing stunt that was built on a complete lie.

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
For everyone who didn't know what a 10 year old was, this must have been shocking news.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
I don't care about this entire ordeal, but i just wanted to say that pranks don't involve NDA's. Or casting call ads. Or the kind of money used to make this happen. Pranks are pranks. Hoaxes are hoaxes.
But would you be mad if it was an April Fool's joke? And casting call ads can totally be used in pranks. And it's not like millions were spent. And I don't see how NDA's are involved, so why mention that?

Edit: And that wall of text was totally necessary. Totally.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
But would you be mad if it was an April Fool's joke? And casting call ads can totally be used in pranks. And it's not like millions were spent. And I don't see how NDA's are involved, so why mention that?

Edit: And that wall of text was totally necessary. Totally.
I'm not mad period, though i can understand why some people are.

I forgot to say usually not involved.

Millions no. Thousand(s) probably.

NDA's are involved. D1 is under one, apparently.

Last edited:

Glottis

Smash Cadet
I can't really see the problem with this.

It's just a marketing ploy. It garnered some attention for Smash and Gamestop. The girl made some money and an asterisk in her acting portfolio. The players who were hired got some money.
And the result is a harmless little joke.
Everybody wins as far as i can see.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
I'm not a fan of the idea that some kid can just be born into and skip what it takes to make it. Call me childish, or sexist, or an entitled competitive smash player. That's just how I feel about it. I didn't want to believe this girl could be anything other than what many would call "scrub material"
The amount of bias in this comment makes me scared for Smash community.

Bomber913

Smash Cadet
NNID
ferrer3
3DS FC
3523-2231-5548
If they were playing with items on and non Omega stages then I will believe it.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
There are so many people who are butthurt about this hoax that we're gonna need, like, a whole fleet of wambulances to deal with it.

Seriously, it's as if the offended people have never been pranked in their whole lives. It was all a JOKE, like whoever thought of this deserves a medal for comedic genius. Just look at the reactions it's getting, all because people are sexist or hate children or have trust issues or just can't take a joke.

The way I see it, this was probably a scheme cooked up by some "higher-ups" within the competitive Smash community (guys like D1) who just wanted to have a little fun, and what better way to have fun than to troll the crap out of the competitive Smash community? D1, BlackNerd, the "Secret Smasher" (whoever was actually playing), and anybody else who was involved in this are all amazing people and should be congratulated for their pranking prowess. They don't owe apologies or explanations to anybody because all they did was PULL A PRANK!

I'm actually surprised the Gamestop employees agreed to go along with this, but I am so glad they did. I bet at least one of them was a huge Smash fan. Like, most places would be a stick in the mud and shut this kind of thing down, but they decided to play ball and make this awesome joke possible. Props to Gamestop for being cool, they don't owe an apology or explanation to anybody just because they let some guys have their fun.

Nintendo probably had nothing to do with this, and if they did then colour me surprised and impressed. I can't think of a more inventive way to advertise the game as being playable by people of all ages, genders and skill levels than by having a young girl wipe the floor with some of the best players out there. Again IF Nintendo was involved, then I'd say this was a really refreshing and progressive form of marketing, and I hope they do more stuff like this in the future for other games. Nintendo doesn't owe apologies or explanations to anybody because they probably weren't even involved, and if they were then I say good marketing, keep it up!

The girl was just an actor doing her job, there's no reason to hate her. I mean, come on, she's only 10. How many of you were making money at that age? Besides, I don't know about the rest of you but I did some pretty stupid things when I was 10, and I didn't even get paid for it! The girl doesn't owe apologies or explanations to anybody because she was just doing her job, and she's just a kid, give her a break. Way to break down those social barriers and show that girls can play video games too, even if it's just as part of a prank! I will say that it's too bad she kept taking her hands off the controller and looking away from the screen when the advanced tech was happening, otherwise who knows how long this might have gone on.

When I first heard about this, I joked that the girl was actually Mew2King's daughter from the future who travelled back in time. Turns out I was wrong, and fell for this prank as hard as anybody else. But what's the point of a prank if nobody falls for it? I say congrats to the people who pulled it off, and stay strong against the hate! Watch this end up being a Sakurai Scheme all along, since he is the Master Troll.

Consider this: if this prank had been pulled on April 1 as part of an April Fool's Day joke, how many of you would be mad about it?

It wasn't meant to be a joke. It seems to have been an attempt by Gamestop to create a fake viral video. Much like those fake viral videos of failed proposals. Its an attempt to trick you as a player and to mainly attract more players.

The way I see it , they knew it was fake, they thought they could play you for a fool, and its not the girl im annoyed at, its the smashers, Blacknerd, Sky, D1 and others who thought they were being sneaky. Its like political corruption but in video games xD

If you claim it was a prank then you probably work for gamestop and you've been ordered to come in and make positive comments. Lessen the blow as it were.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
If you claim it was a prank then you probably work for gamestop and you've been ordered to come in and make positive comments. Lessen the blow as it were.
Seeing as I put up something along these lines (saying that it was most likely a harmless joke), I just wanted to say, buddy i'm Australian. :laugh:

Good luck proving i'm in with Gamestop. :grin:

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
It wasn't meant to be a joke. It seems to have been an attempt by Gamestop to create a fake viral video. Much like those fake viral videos of failed proposals. Its an attempt to trick you as a player and to mainly attract more players.

The way I see it , they knew it was fake, they thought they could play you for a fool, and its not the girl im annoyed at, its the smashers, Blacknerd, Sky, D1 and others who thought they were being sneaky. Its like political corruption but in video games xD

I don't work for anybody.

Obviously they knew it was fake, that's how a joke works. The point is to be sneaky in order to do something funny.

They also thought they could play you AND me for fools, and look at that, they were right.

Top Bottom