• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Karissa the Destroyer" was a Marketing Hoax

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
It wasn't a joke tho. Nobody was joking with it. It was meant to fool you. If you're cool with poor business practices then you can get in line at Walmart blackfriday and trample some people. Brushing it off like a joke makes you look like a part of the "sheeple". We're just consumers analyzed by statistics and trends.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
I noticed that a certain smasher was leaving gamestop. When I named the smasher out of excitement he turned his head and quickly walked away.
I pay to watch a dramatization of that (it was most likely ZeRo so just use him) :4wario:

Kid_Carlton13

Smash Cadet
NNID
KidCarlton13
3DS FC
0447-6623-7476
You know
Update: Sky denies being in on the hoax but gives a detailed account of how it was determined at the event that something was wrong. It also appears D1 and other personalities had no knowledge of the marketing ploy. It is still unknown who was playing the game in a sealed white room behind the large LCD screen.

This weekend a GameStop in West Hollywood, CA held a event showing off the new Super Smash Brothers for Wii U. Despite little fanfare or forewarning to the competitive community, the event somehow garnered the presence of many top Smashers - and the special presence of D'Ron "D1" Maingrette who was among the commentators at the E3 Nintendo Invitational. During the course of the event, many competitive Smashers and some outsiders with a unusually high volume of Twitter followers began to speak of a 10-year old who had an uncanny handling of the game.

There was so much hope.

The 10-year old was labeled "Karissa the Destoyer" and reputable sites like Shoryuken, Nintendo Life, and Kotaku, all jumped on the story - eager to point to a child prodigy demolishing competitive Smashers. The narrative was exciting and unfortunately all to believable for many who are unwilling to acknowledge the huge skill gaps that exist in Smash or in competitive gaming as a whole. Some even savored that an unknown, novice at the game could defeat players with over 10,000 hours of experience and national-level tournament victories. The story only lasted a few hours before it began to unravel. The below was posted to an LA Casting agency site on November 3rd regarding putting ringers at the GameStop event:

"RINGERS / Non-Union / "GAMESTOP/SUPER SMASH BROTHERS" / Principal / Male or Female / All Ethnicities / 16-30
Looking for 6 gamers as planted people to compete against our girl. Looking for men and women, aged 16-36, all ethnicities. NEED TO HAVE familiarity and some skill at Super Smash Brothers the game. {The shoot is basically a hidden camera job where we have a little girl (RINGER/LEAD GIRL) play Super Smash Brothers against a series of opponents at a sneak peak before the launch.
Wardrobe: Casual
Rate: $350/10 HR + 20% 2YR BUYOUT"​

The Casting Call for a Ringer at GameStop​

In additional to the casting call, the sheer number of personalities from a variety of gaming backgrounds should have raised suspicion, along with evidence in the video itself where the ringer's hands aren't on the controller but the characters continue to move on screen.

"Randomly" - Blacknerd has 37,000+ Twitter Followers.

Sky has over 100,000 Twitter followers.​

Exactly which Smashers were in on it and which were innocent bystanders will likely be revealed in the coming days. Still unknown is who was playing the character on screen behind the curtains as well. The several thousand dollars that went behind this hoax likely paid off for a little while as the first video initially exploded to over 80,000 YouTube views. Who was behind the hoax - Nintendo of America or GameStop, also remains to be seen. You can check out Karissa's professional actor website here.

how pissed I would be if a 10 year old kid beat me in Smash Bros. I get mad when my 8 year old brother beats me in Project M.

SanicJan

Smash Cadet
All I hope now is that we get more information on the person who's behind the scenes. He was likely behind everything of this and if he was he controlled Gamestop, D1 and Sky and Karissa.

Robogamer64

Smash Rookie
So what happened exactly all I got was: some 10yr old beat all the Competitive Smashers @ a GameStop but the whole thing was a joke/hoax? Is that right?

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197
And you guys are going to make a huge deal out of this?

Skyline1992

Smash Apprentice
I had a feeling it was a hoax. There's no way some 10 year old girl can beat experienced players that are twice her age. Unless she was some sort of fighting game prodigy but I highly doubted that. I just hate publicity stunts like this.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
*Sees Reddit post
*Tries to comprehend all the drama and madness

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
she may be a fake

but im the 9 year old that 4stocked mew2king. he just never told becuz he is 2 ashamed 2 have been beaten by me :)))

NintyTheRagekid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NintyTheRageKid
3DS FC
5455-9431-1608
Switch FC
SW-2209-3322-3333
And you guys are going to make a huge deal out of this?
Making a good point... Check.
Using a .gif to go along with it... Check.
The .gif is A RASSLIN' .GIF?
BOLBY AVATAR?!

I like this guy.

To stay on topic: I wonder who is behind the person behind the sealed white room?

It's me Austin!

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
It's obvious. Mew2King was controlling Karissa.

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
People are missing the important part of this news, I want to know how the game felt. Top players that played the game, how different from the 3DS game it felt?

D

Deleted member 268018

My reaction: Who cares? Even if she really did exist, she's just a gamer like everyone else.

Jdawg9876

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jdawg9876
3DS FC
4399-1836-0019
Oh well, in the end, looked like she had fun ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
Now the real question here is... who was REALLY controlling her character? I need to know.
There are very few people that can play Dedede, Diddy and Shiek at such a high level. It would have to be someone who's invested a lot of time into Sm4sh and is “famous" enough for GameStop to hire him.

There are few people that come to my mind but I would say that it's probably Vex. Not certain but...

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
There are very few people that can play Dedede, Diddy and Shiek at such a high level. It would have to be someone who's invested a lot of time into Sm4sh and is “famous" enough for GameStop to hire him.

There are few people that come to my mind but I would say that it's probably Vex. Not certain but...
Honestly though, whoever it was, you can't blame them for taking that gig. Getting paid to beat people in Smash all day sounds awesome.

ryu sciu

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0619-5783-9398
I just don't understand the point of even doing this. Is it to try to encourage younger players to try to become amazing at the game? Anyways, I really want to know who was really playing, because that was crazy.

Edit: Thinking about it a bit more, maybe it was a prank for the competitive community?
Nintendo has been known to have negative views towards competitive smash, this could be a ploy to get kids to think they can be good too, .. If u wonder why does nintendo dislike the competition, the only reason could be is they think its negative for sales since that's all that matters to them.. Plus it can also be used as a jab towards the competitive scene... All that would only make sense if nintendo was involved..

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Nintendo has been known to have negative views towards competitive smash, this could be a ploy to get kids to think they can be good too, .. If u wonder why does nintendo dislike the competition, the only reason could be is they think its negative for sales since that's all that matters to them.. Plus it can also be used as a jab towards the competitive scene... All that would only make sense if nintendo was involved..
Are you sure? With Sm4sh nintendo has been trying to cater to both audiences and not just casuals. I know it was just a fun tournament,but the E3 invitational was kind of showing the competitive players that nintendo wanted to try to make a game both them and casual players could enjoy. The same could be said about For Glory and For Fun, though FG isn't exactly the most competitive environment, they still tried to please competitive players. Another example is they removed random tripping, made the game speed faster than brawl, and (whether intentional or not) there are a ton of advanced techniques ( though most are character specific or only useful for few characters).

RazorsawTF

Smash Cadet
My only response to this is "... duh?"

I mean, this is such an obvious spectacle it's a wonder how anyone believed it was real in the first place. Honestly, how did people not pick up on this right away? Or do you honestly think screaming "SETTLE IT IN SMASH" will cause you to sound like Xander Mobus and 3DSes to materialize in people's hands?

Christ, guys.

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
Maaaann...Welp, see ya later Karissa!!
Naw, but seriously, maybe she just might play Smash herself!

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
My only response to this is "... duh?"

I mean, this is such an obvious spectacle it's a wonder how anyone believed it was real in the first place. Honestly, how did people not pick up on this right away? Or do you honestly think screaming "SETTLE IT IN SMASH" will cause you to sound like Xander Mobus and 3DSes to materialize in people's hands?

Christ, guys.
I couldn't help but chuckle a bit at that last part. :chuckle:

ryu sciu

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0619-5783-9398
Are you sure? With Sm4sh nintendo has been trying to cater to both audiences and not just casuals. I know it was just a fun tournament,but the E3 invitational was kind of showing the competitive players that nintendo wanted to try to make a game both them and casual players could enjoy. The same could be said about For Glory and For Fun, though FG isn't exactly the most competitive environment, they still tried to please competitive players. Another example is they removed random tripping, made the game speed faster than brawl, and (whether intentional or not) there are a ton of advanced techniques ( though most are character specific or only useful for few characters).
Yeah I know they tried to appeal to the competitive scene this time around but why did they strongly oppose it in the past? Tripping in brawl for example was purely made to make the game not viable for competitive play. They have been hostile to it.. The only reason to oppose it would be sales related. They did have the attitude of anti competition.. I bet some of that attitude is still with them Even though they did cave in a bit to the competitive scene this time around.

Last edited:

Hyruleslink

Smash Journeyman
GameStop and deception... color me surprised. Too bad this wasn't real. Thought this girl was my long lost daughter I never knew I had.

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
Soo...the controller/her hands and the gameplay itself weren't synced? You'd THINK that would have been very noticeable.

And credz to the staged opponents for managing to NOT make it seem like they were losing on purpose. If someone told me "Play your best, but lose on purpose" then I'd just be confused...

Top Bottom