• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Karissa the Destroyer" was a Marketing Hoax

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Update: Sky denies being in on the hoax but gives a detailed account of how it was determined at the event that something was wrong. It also appears D1 and other personalities had no knowledge of the marketing ploy. It is still unknown who was playing the game in a sealed white room behind the large LCD screen.

This weekend a GameStop in West Hollywood, CA held a event showing off the new Super Smash Brothers for Wii U. Despite little fanfare or forewarning to the competitive community, the event somehow garnered the presence of many top Smashers - and the special presence of D'Ron "D1" Maingrette who was among the commentators at the E3 Nintendo Invitational. During the course of the event, many competitive Smashers and some outsiders with a unusually high volume of Twitter followers began to speak of a 10-year old who had an uncanny handling of the game.

There was so much hope.

The 10-year old was labeled "Karissa the Destoyer" and reputable sites like Shoryuken, Nintendo Life, and Kotaku, all jumped on the story - eager to point to a child prodigy demolishing competitive Smashers. The narrative was exciting and unfortunately all to believable for many who are unwilling to acknowledge the huge skill gaps that exist in Smash or in competitive gaming as a whole. Some even savored that an unknown, novice at the game could defeat players with over 10,000 hours of experience and national-level tournament victories. The story only lasted a few hours before it began to unravel. The below was posted to an LA Casting agency site on November 3rd regarding putting ringers at the GameStop event:

"RINGERS / Non-Union / "GAMESTOP/SUPER SMASH BROTHERS" / Principal / Male or Female / All Ethnicities / 16-30
Looking for 6 gamers as planted people to compete against our girl. Looking for men and women, aged 16-36, all ethnicities. NEED TO HAVE familiarity and some skill at Super Smash Brothers the game. {The shoot is basically a hidden camera job where we have a little girl (RINGER/LEAD GIRL) play Super Smash Brothers against a series of opponents at a sneak peak before the launch.
Wardrobe: Casual
Rate: $350/10 HR + 20% 2YR BUYOUT"​

The Casting Call for a Ringer at GameStop​

In additional to the casting call, the sheer number of personalities from a variety of gaming backgrounds should have raised suspicion, along with evidence in the video itself where the ringer's hands aren't on the controller but the characters continue to move on screen.

"Randomly" - Blacknerd has 37,000+ Twitter Followers.

Sky has over 100,000 Twitter followers.​

Exactly which Smashers were in on it and which were innocent bystanders will likely be revealed in the coming days. Still unknown is who was playing the character on screen behind the curtains as well. The several thousand dollars that went behind this hoax likely paid off for a little while as the first video initially exploded to over 80,000 YouTube views. Who was behind the hoax - Nintendo of America or GameStop, also remains to be seen. You can check out Karissa's professional actor website here.

Last edited by a moderator:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
EMP Karissa dream is dead ;_;
*sigh*.....just can't be first. Can I?

But seriously? a 10-year old girl beating everyone? Damn, wait til videogame sexists hear this.

Squad

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3582-9805-3549
Wh
What
What is this I don't understand
Like seriously can somebody explain what this is please

Last edited:

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
Now the real question here is... who was REALLY controlling her character? I need to know.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Gotta admit, I honestly have no idea what I just read.

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
D1....
Senpai why?
Senpaiiii?!
SENPAIII
(It's a joke.)

Last edited:

The Quarter Master

Smash Apprentice
Glad it was a hoax. Not a big fan of immature little kids beating experienced gamers. They always brag and act like brats when they win. Now that I know that this kid probably has no Smash skills at all, I'm much happier.

But I hate it when people pull stupid publicity stunts like this, so now I'm back to square one of my grumpiness.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Can't wait to see Gamestop's explanation on this.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
It's amazing that anyone actually believed a 10 year old could defeat competitive players who have been playing Smash Bros for years, especially one who seems to have no background in playing the game.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I actually called this. Sky mentioned "@kkbanister" and I just had to look. Most of the tweets she made were about auditions and talent, so I figured she may have been an actor.

I was doubting though, but nevermind now. I just called it. This was pretty hype for the moment.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Ah yes, the twitter crying from people like milktea & other stupid members of the smash community has begun.

Popcorn tiem :happysheep:

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
That was pretty lame to fake and what was the point it only makes d1 and others in seem shady to me.

Dust the Baptist

Weeaboos aren't people.
NNID
Mank210
3DS FC
2809-9541-0380
SKY has three letters, Illuminati Triangle has three "corners". Sky is a straight up Pimp, Pimps work with people who work on Street "corners". Sky is illuminartey cunfurmed.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
This hoax is nothing but bad for the Smash community, honestly. It's going to make people trust eachother alot less.

I also find that little girl's voice incredibly annoying. :glare:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Never heard of this till now. So it doesn't affect me.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
It was obviously staged, but what's with all the hostility? Come on.

Also the guy that was actually playing the match was totally ZeRo.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Black Nerd!? Have no idea why, but as soon as I saw his pic, I somehow became suspicious.
And just when I thought this girl would be an inspiration.... Oh well, time to move on.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
You thought the 10 y/o was playing. But it was ME, DIO!
sorry

Top Bottom