• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

jayray

Smash Apprentice
a pro would have a chomputer that has a video card with record input and we could be "hookin it up" ~dota reference by dmac

anyway then you'd have a nice svid or better connection and make for some nice clean vids that can be easily edited.

Jace08

Smash Lord
No Z no! It'll be awhile before we settle on a song and everyone has time to give their suggestions. When I finally have all the footage together then I'll listen to every song while watching the video to see which one matches the combos best & then see what Dark thinks.

Yeah that's a good point Jayray I want to make sure this is as high a quality a video as possible and recording is really important for that. I've found, however, that when I log the footage from my vcr into Final Cut it looks crystal clear; it's when I put a video on youtube or google video it loses a lot of quality. I don't know if that is because I didn't use a video card like you described or I've been uploading the wrong way, but my guess is the latter. In any case, I'm pretty confident that I can get a high quality video onto the internet with the equipment I have, and don't worry I won't settle for anything less.

Does anyone have a video card with good input like Jayray's talking about?

jayray

Smash Apprentice
most likely either the final format you are submitting is being compressed or youtube itself compresses files, ive never really seen a nice clean vid on youtube anyway. you'll have to do some research on the web about different codecs you can install on your chomp. but most vids on the web have to be compressed otherwise no one can load them and its extra bandwith which = $ so.

regardless in my later days of recording i'd just save 2 copies, one is the raw format which is ****ing nice but is massive as ****. and then a second form which is just a 10mb vid for the purposes of youtube and ****, you might check youtube they may have a section that tells you what they limit files to or suggestions for quality.

edit: ~dmachan - GOOIN ~ HOOKIN its all the same in a baby box bro !

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
Hey guys I miss me some smash... Anyone live near Overland Park/Olathe? I just moved and need somebody to play with, or need to find some kind of ride out there. It would be appreciated =/

Cups

Smash Ace
Z and I talked about this combo video before, here's what I think: this video should be a Captain Falcon Character Overview. It should be a video that shows proper set ups and mindgamey moments that David has had. Everyone knows he combos, but I don't think a cheezy combo video would properly encapsulate how good David is. Still tho, it could be a brutal mindgame into techchasing and stuff, with combos that own.

Also, it should be all new footage, nothing ever seen before. You could show combos working off of grabs, without grabs, edge guards, flashy ****, etc. This video should show people the right way to play Falcon, none of this Scar bull****. Here is the video that gave Z and I the idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so41H1AhGqE. This used to be the Darkrain of 3rd Strike, and it is a brutally cool video.

Jace08

Smash Lord
most likely either the final format you are submitting is being compressed or youtube itself compresses files, ive never really seen a nice clean vid on youtube anyway. you'll have to do some research on the web about different codecs you can install on your chomp. but most vids on the web have to be compressed otherwise no one can load them and its extra bandwith which = $ so

regardless in my later days of recording i'd just save 2 copies, one is the raw format which is ****ing nice but is massive as ****. and then a second form which is just a 10mb vid for the purposes of youtube and ****, you might check youtube they may have a section that tells you what they limit files to or suggestions for quality.
Yeah I think you're right in saying that youtube itself compresses files, because what I do is convert my videos to quicktime, and they still look great in that form, and then I upload it onto youtube and it looks relatively terrible. And yeah saving two copies is a good idea. After the vid is done, I had planned on showing the crew the raw file via a dvd so you all can watch it in high quality, but the masses are pretty much stuck with youtube and its pixelation. I'll have a high quality download available through some online source like stage6 (although unfortunately they're out of business now) for those who want it, but most people just blindly want youtube.

Hey guys I miss me some smash... Anyone live near Overland Park/Olathe? I just moved and need somebody to play with, or need to find some kind of ride out there. It would be appreciated =/
I live in Olathe and I'm pretty sure I'm like the only melee player in the whole town... But anyway I can't complain b/c there are GIG meetings at Johnson County Community College and we get some good melee games going there. You should come to those; I'll even give you a ride to and from as long as you aren't TOO far out of the way. They happen every tues. from 4 until we feel like leaving, usually around 10pm. There are also meetings from 1 to 5 on Fridays, but I can't make those. As far as this coming week goes, I'm not sure if they're going to happen or not due to winter break. I'll let you know as soon as I find out. I don't think I could give you rides to cherry smash b/c I always have to leave early on in the night. In fact, this Sat. I'm being forced to leave even earlier than normal to be home for a sibling's birthday :(

Z and I talked about this combo video before, here's what I think: this video should be a Captain Falcon Character Overview. It should be a video that shows proper set ups and mindgamey moments that David has had. Everyone knows he combos, but I don't think a cheezy combo video would properly encapsulate how good David is. Still tho, it could be a brutal mindgame into techchasing and stuff, with combos that own.

Also, it should be all new footage, nothing ever seen before. You could show combos working off of grabs, without grabs, edge guards, flashy ****, etc. This video should show people the right way to play Falcon, none of this Scar bull****. Here is the video that gave Z and I the idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so41H1AhGqE. This used to be the Darkrain of 3rd Strike, and it is a brutally cool video.
I'm open to the idea Cups. And of course this combo video won't properly capture how good David is. I don't really think that's what combo videos are for; that's what tournaments are for ( & even then, stuff happens). Just wanted to clarify. What does everyone else think about this idea?

As for me personally like I said I'm open to teaching people how to play Falcon right, but a compilation of Darkrain's best moments (they won't all necessarily be "combos") over a long period of time seems hard to pass up.

papermarkis

Smash Lord

I thought we said we wanted to do a regular combo video, AND an overview.

Also, the only real way to do a good overview and is to take the footage from actual tournaments with money at stake against high profile players. Not all the footage would have to be like this, but we'll need some. So we'll need to record pretty much every match he plays at GA, and SMYM9.

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
I live in Olathe and I'm pretty sure I'm like the only melee player in the whole town... But anyway I can't complain b/c there are GIG meetings at Johnson County Community College and we get some good melee games going there. You should come to those; I'll even give you a ride to and from as long as you aren't TOO far out of the way. They happen every tues. from 4 until we feel like leaving, usually around 10pm. There are also meetings from 1 to 5 on Fridays, but I can't make those. As far as this coming week goes, I'm not sure if they're going to happen or not due to winter break. I'll let you know as soon as I find out. I don't think I could give you rides to cherry smash b/c I always have to leave early on in the night. In fact, this Sat. I'm being forced to leave even earlier than normal to be home for a sibling's birthday :(
That sounds awesome man. I'd probably be down for for a couple of the JCCC meetings just to check it out. But I don't know, my car should be up and ready to drive again sometime soon, but not sure when. I may only need a ride this week if anyone reads this in time... I have friends going to cherry smash tonight, but it's hard to car pool with them since they're coming from Lawrence and I live in Overland Park =/

Anyways if you wanna check out the distance, my address is: 9100 west 159th street Overland Park KS 66221

I would look it up but even looking at the map would confuse me, since I have no idea where I am anyways hah hah.

pyroty

Smash Apprentice
I just wanted to add to the whole darkrain combo video thing, this is the reason I've been trying to start recording and bringing my VCR, I've got a few clips already on my PC, and I got some footage last night I've yet to review, maybe I'll throw together a video just of the clips I think are worthy and upload or send them to you guys to comment on, and review them yourselves.

Jace08

Smash Lord
Sounds good Pyroty.

Hey I'm pretty sure I left my wii-mote at cherry smash, I think next to the middle tv. Did anyone grab it on their way out?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
jungle japes
lol saturdays are too fun :o that drakrain video sounds sweet so far. im pretty sure youtube just messes up quality because it has to be converted into Flash (youtube plays with Flashplayer from a browser), if you use a Flash filetype/codec (I could do that pretty easy) it might be higher quality on utoob
darkrain gonna show them his moves

papermarkis

Smash Lord
Youtube no longer has the quality problems that plagued it in the past. You can choose between normal, high, and sometimes even HQ quality for a lot of videos.

pyroty

Smash Apprentice
Youtube no longer has the quality problems that plagued it in the past. You can choose between normal, high, and sometimes even HQ quality for a lot of videos.
Yeah, now you just have to make sure you mention somewhere to have everyone watch in high quality and it's not bad at all =)

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Ok I wanted to wait a little while to post this, due to the possible sensitivity of the situation.....

I was just wondering if Darkrain still had my OC3 DVD....

If you do that's great, you can go ahead and still barrow it until I make some time to get up there to smash again. My car hasn't been the most reliable as of late, don't really want to risk driving it that far yet.

If you do still have it, have you watched it? I know a lot of the matches have been uploaded since, but you should really watch the HugS vs SilentSpectre match, and some others. It's a great DVD.

If you don't have it.....well lemme know.

Some good news is, I should be getting a really large tax return this year (somewhere in the range of five grand). And I will be putting a down payment on a newer car, preferably something reliable and japanese, like a corolla or something :p

Other than that, what's up guys how ya been? Anybody going to Genesis??

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
Yo Jace are you still going to that JCCC meeting tomorrow? I'd be happy to tag along if it's no problem...

EDIT: Omigosh Cups I watched that Makoto video, and some other 3rd strike videos, and I am really interested in learning how to get good. It looks awesome! Is there any 3rd strike machines at Cherry Smash, or do you guys play console or something?

Jace08

Smash Lord
Ah I wish there was a JCCC meeting tomorrow adhdsoad but I finished talking to Duck just now(the dude who hosts there) and he said there won't be a meeting tomorrow. I asked about next week but he wasn't sure. Dunno what the deal is there but I don't see a reason why we can't meet next week. I'll let you know when I know more. Oh and I checked your address: you're only about 15 minutes away from me but unfortunately the opposite direction from my path to JCCC. It's cool though I'll still give you a ride if your car isn't working by next week.

Okay sure Cups I'll just- waaaaiiiiit a minute...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yo Jace are you still going to that JCCC meeting tomorrow? I'd be happy to tag along if it's no problem...

EDIT: Omigosh Cups I watched that Makoto video, and some other 3rd strike videos, and I am really interested in learning how to get good. It looks awesome! Is there any 3rd strike machines at Cherry Smash, or do you guys play console or something?
Yeah there's usually a PS2, 3rd Strike, and two arcade sticks there.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Ok I wanted to wait a little while to post this, due to the possible sensitivity of the situation.....

I was just wondering if Darkrain still had my OC3 DVD....

If you do that's great, you can go ahead and still barrow it until I make some time to get up there to smash again. My car hasn't been the most reliable as of late, don't really want to risk driving it that far yet.

If you do still have it, have you watched it? I know a lot of the matches have been uploaded since, but you should really watch the HugS vs SilentSpectre match, and some others. It's a great DVD.

If you don't have it.....well lemme know.

Some good news is, I should be getting a really large tax return this year (somewhere in the range of five grand). And I will be putting a down payment on a newer car, preferably something reliable and japanese, like a corolla or something :p

Other than that, what's up guys how ya been? Anybody going to Genesis??
Does anybody have an answer to this?

Also Papermarkis, is that a fire emblem game in your sig? Which one?

darkrain

Smash Ace
I still have your dvd ziv!

Don't buy a brand new car. Get a nice used one in the 2003-2006 range.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to genesis. Gonna be keeping an eye on plane tickets for the next couple months.

Jturley46

Smash Journeyman

I'm pretty sure I'm going to genesis. Gonna be keeping an eye on plane tickets for the next couple months.
That does look pretty badass. Are you playing just melee? I would be tempted to play both if you're paying for it.

EDIT: holy ****, plane tickets are $500.

papermarkis

Smash Lord
That does look pretty badass. Are you playing just melee? I would be tempted to play both if you're paying for it.

EDIT: holy ****, plane tickets are $500.
They're even discussing having SSB64 there. I would definitely participate in all 3 games because this whole thing is too epic to just lose in one game.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master

Sweet, you're my hero Darkrain :p Did you watch any of it?

And yeah, a brand new car is like the worst possible investment you could make. I'm wanting to buy something between 2000-2003, or newer if the price is right. Really want a corolla.....

Darkrain, lemme know what tickets you get for genesis, I'll try to fly with you; as I'm most certainly going.

On a side note....

Has anybody in the midwest been checking out the new Mango vids coming up lately? Mango vs SilentSpectre and Mango vs Zhu, oh and Mango vs PinkShinobi....

Holy crap Mango is good.....

Top Bottom