• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

Echo

Smash Champion
Now i'm going to say something probably very egotistical, but very true to me. I developed my own pikachu in melee from the ground. From almost nothing. I stole the basic all-character tactics from others (various lag cancelling, wding, dashdancing, etc.), and I stole quickattack ledge-hogging from AK's pika, but everything else I know about pikachu (I believe) I figured out myself. And I still hate brawl.
Andy here seems to have a similar feeling towards it as I do. I lived in random small town Nebraska with no one to play with but my friends from High School, and we played it from the very day it came out and played all the time, however I being quite the nerd discovered alot of things before I even knew smashboards existed. Bomb jumping back to the stage, L-cancelling, even wavedashing but I never used it because I didn't think it was as useful as it really is. When I did first get on the boards, I was very inspired by Wes... but I'm sure that is pretty obvious to anyone that has played me or has even seen me play. That was all before I even came up to Omaha, and thats why when I came up and started playing competitive I could get where I am now. I knew all of those things and then started to apply it all in my own style. Everything I have done and accomplished in Melee is because of things that I have been able to do to create my own personal playstyle and continuing to be innovative.

Lately I have been playing the better characters in Brawl, and it doesn't seem sooo bad... I've been working my little nerd heart out to bust out the most amazing Samus metagame the country is ever going to see, but the game might just not allow it. lol I mean I have never had a serious match for brawl, unless you count that one KC tourney... but I lost to my girlfriend and all she did was pick pit and shoot arrows then do Over B.

I think the problem I have is that I'm doing the same exact thing Dark is, sitting there trying nerd the game, but I don't get the opportunity that he has to play with people every weekend and test what he's been working on, and though I've love to come hang out theres a 3 hour drive and ridiculous gas prices that are probably going to be a problem.

also, this made me lol:
yay after 3 days of trying to get on, i've finally gotten back on SWF. you can only have fun if you are winning by a substantial and stupid amount, obviously you haven't attended a KC/Law run tourney, "where no fun is our rule number one."

cups is calling for berserk day soon
JESI if you wanna fire up a debate kreep at me on AIM, son... I'm all about politics :]

DrSalvador

Smash Cadet
To anyone that wants to smash in Lawrence, my address is:

2000 Heatherwood Dr., Apt #103
Lawrence, KS, 66047

The building my apartment is in, #2000, has 4 entrances. You should come in one of the southmost doors and go downstairs. Then, depending on which door you entered, my apartment is either on the left at the end of the hall, or the first door on your right. I don't expect much turnout this weekend because of the lack of forewarning, plus the boards have been down a lot lately and some people may not have seen my notices. If you have a Wii and/or TV you can bring, go ahead and bring it. If you can't, that's fine, I'm sure we can live with just 1 Wii.

I plan on doing this next weekend as well, and I hope to get more people and be more organized about it too.

darkrain

Smash Ace
YOU, did not just do that....

back from my college trip guys... went well. really well. wonder what the smash scene in texas is like....

we'll do berserk day soon :)

EDIT: Dave's gonna kill me...my bad this is JESI :p

dmac

Smash Champion
sorry i can't usually come to the sunday smashfests in lawrence, im usually working during this time(i just dropped in at home to pick up something for work) :(

DrSalvador

Smash Cadet
Thanks to everyone who came today, I had a great time, hope you all did too. Thanks for bringing the TV and Wii, we will probably need it next week as well. I would say it was a success, about 8 people showed up, we played a tourney and some team battles.

Next week I think we might make it start a little later if that doesn't cause problems. Maybe 6 or 7pm. I think we could get more people that way too. Dmac: are you still unable to come if we start it later? I know Dan Smith said he was interested as well, can you make it at that time?

papermarkis

Smash Lord
Wow, Sakurai knows nothing about multi-player games, or competition at all for that matter. Nintendo in general is starting to piss me off with this whole "Make games for your grandma and not for you" mindset. Then you add in the fact that things like their Wi-Fi service is made for little kids and it seems that Nintendo hates people in the age range of 15 - 45.

only1Z

Smash Champion
Would most of you just go back into your holes if we went back to melee?

Man, KU made it ****in close, but ***** finally.

Jturley46

Smash Journeyman
well I will say one that really pisses me off about brawl, it caters to projectile spamming b1tches. Like I was playing this little queer, and all he did with ROB was constantly spam his laser and the spinning top, and then grabbed. It worked for a little while, and in melee you could never have spamming newbs use that stuff and it actually work, and its just gay as hell. Who would have guessed his other player was pit.

Jace08

Smash Lord
Okay I agree with CFMV. Markis go whine elsewhere, especially if you're just now realizing Nintendo's whole philosophy with the Wii. No one wants to hear that kind of childish rant.

I don't know what you're talking about, Jturley. In my experience, it's pretty easy to beat someone whose strategy is simple and repetitive. Why don't you just be a character who can reflect/absorb R.O.B.'s projectiles? There are plenty of them, and I'm sure you're at least decent with one. Why don't you just avoid his throws with SHFFs, aerials, etc.? The idea of someone "spamming" an attack makes them sound predictable to me, and everyone who is easy to predict in smash brothers generally does get destroyed.

While I miss a lot of aspects from Melee, the last thing I'm going to do with Brawl is give up on it just because it will take actual work to develop the metagame or that it feels "noobier."

Cups

Smash Ace
jace posted a pichu combo video, and was serious about it. that should discredit his argument completely.

Jesi

Smash Ace
I really miss the days when the forums used to be funny, light hearted...

now it's just whining, arguing, complaining and more a-holes than ever. lol

I think I'll give up on the smash community, for sucking.

papermarkis

Smash Lord
I'm not trying to whine or anything. I'm just trying to have a nice little discussion. We can never bring this up again if anyone wants to. I'm not quitting Brawl, I'm just realizing I probably won't play it as much as I did Melee. Hopefully when I come in Saturday no one will be giving me strange looks and thinking in their minds "There's the Brawl hater!". Brawl is a fun game no matter how shallow or deep it is. Can we at least agree with that?

Cups

Smash Ace
<3 pichu, <3 brawl, <3 melee, <3 the times we've had with the games and the ones we will. just a little stirring up of opinionated conversation never hurt anyone, and i'm sure the intent of everyone else is not to hurt anyone's feelings. i kind of think that it is a fruitless argument tho, just because nobody is going to change their mind, so it is basically someone stating their opinion, getting flamed for it, and then retracting their prior post. just keep that in mind when posting, and i miss phatgamer. :(

dmac

Smash Champion
phatgamer is dead. all thats left of him is his fat. in a jar. darkrain has it somewhere. well, its more like 30 jars.

DrSalvador

Smash Cadet
Just a reminder about the smashfest at my apartment in Lawrence Sunday at 6pm. The address is a page or 2 back. Bring TV/Wii if you can.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
OMG KC! Guess what fellas? I'm moving back to St. Joe soon, like in a month or so. AND I HAVE A FREAKING CAR NOW!!! So that means I should be smashing with you guys again soon. And I really hope you all haven't moved on to Brawl, since that would be terrible.

DYC man what's up?? I know you've been depressed since I left.....(lol you probably didn't even know I left =/ ) So I'll make it all better when I come back and destroy you in MELEE.

Can't wait to play KC again. Is there still Barrio smash? Darkrain???? CUPS??? JESI??? PHAT???? DMAC??? Z?? REZO???

I'm probably missing people, but it's been so long since I've smashed in KC....almost like a freaking YEAR!!

See you all soon.

N64

Smash Champion
yo z, i finally fired up the pokemans again.
got my dark pulse tm and everything.
YOU PREPARED?!

wait, this isn't superpokeworld forums? ****.

only1Z

Smash Champion
****, I need to get all my items grinded up from like 5 different pokemon. OH YEAH IT'S ****IN ON!

D

Deleted member

this might be a late post but I think im going to attend that smashfest in lawrence,

only1Z

Smash Champion
PM me an aim and poke code if you wanna duel. I may not show up to barrio tonight, feel like **** now, off to bed.

Vash_Ericks

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5472-8751-9768
I've been looking for a place near KC with people to play against. Think I might be able to drop by smashfest if you guys don't mind. I can bring my wii and some controllers, but can't bring my TV.

Top Bottom