• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

darkrain

Smash Ace
woops... Jesi here... dark wont' be around until 6ish. But i'll be here!!! :)

and i'm glad discussion returned to smash stuff. gamestop FTL.

Also, on another note.

April 5th, there will be no barrio smash. That's next weekend. As dark and I will be out of town! Mark your calendars. lol

papermarkis

Smash Lord
When are we suppose to have that Berserk day we've been talking about for like ever? Because I finally finished the anime and am no longer scared of spoilers.

DrSalvador

Smash Cadet
I was thinkin about having a weekly or bi-weekly smashfest in Lawrence. I know of 5 other people that go to KU with me that are interested, and I wanted to get some feedback on interest from smashboarders. If there is some, I'll try to make something happen. Most likely this would be on Friday night or Sunday as not to attempt to 'compete' with Barrio smash. If people want to do something during the week instead that would be possible too. PM me or post in this thread if you are interested.

Because we all know playing smash once a week isn't enough (unless you're Z or DYC)

dan smith

Smash Champion
Yo, good doctor, both Dan Luckey and I are interested in more smashing in Lawrence. We vote for Sunday night though, cause Friday night is when the Magic tournaments happen at the comic book store.

Cups

Smash Ace
idk the game is okay, and i understand about the advanced techs and whatnot, but still meh.

lack of hitstun hurts comboes and is just dumb (ie jturley getting hit by the first hit of Diddy's upsmash, then airdodges out of the second and third hit, wtf), the auto ledge grab function is lame and noob, the item stuff is stupid (ie grabbing items while pretty much doing anything, airdodging, attacking, shielding, etc.), it is extremely repetitive; just seems matches are made up of doing the exact same thing over and over again, but somehow still different than melee. i think that we can all agree that watching dark and smeesh play was 100 times more exhilarating than any brawl match i've seen, and that game is 7 years old. the game is based on just standing there and not being aggressive, as shielding, shield grabbing, spotdodging, and airdodging are all incredibly OP. games for noobs is all i'm saying.

maybe in the future it will be more exhilarating and fulfilling, but as for now once a week at barrio is almost too much, idk what that says, and this is all IMO, so direct your comments to my suggestion box *picks up trash can and points to it*

DrSalvador

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the feedback. I'll converse with my friends and see if Sunday works. If this goes through, I may need a Wii and TV. Right now all we have for sure is my roommate's Wii, TV, and my TV. I should be able to get 1 more Wii though.

Jesi

Smash Ace
to be honest...

melee was never really about melee for me. and brawl isn't really about brawl.
IMO. i play and hang out w/ people because i love playing games w/ friends.

maybe that's not enough for ppl... so then i guess you could stay home and play melee. lol by yourself... or with other ppl who feel the same way. and i don't think we're really opposed to playing melee here either...but no one strikes it up? we have like 3 setups still... *shrug*!

but as for me, I love hanging out w/ people it's what made the 3 years i played melee worth it. The trips, the friends, the weekends spent drinking and playing haha all too good.

And like towards the end of melee..we were playing other games anyway. Those of us that had played that game to death and still loved it... were taking breaks to play other stuff anywayz. Like board games etc and we still had fun.

I guess you could call me a social gamer through and through. I don't find anything wrong w/ brawl, its' just different and I still have fun. *Shrugs* It just feels like a lot of people are looking through a narrow peep hole at the game to me... but what do I know I'm pretty lax about this sorta thing I guess. :)

anyways remember no barrio smash this weekend! Not that SOME people would have wanted to come anyway.... lol

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
I was thinkin about having a weekly or bi-weekly smashfest in Lawrence. I know of 5 other people that go to KU with me that are interested, and I wanted to get some feedback on interest from smashboarders. If there is some, I'll try to make something happen. Most likely this would be on Friday night or Sunday as not to attempt to 'compete' with Barrio smash. If people want to do something during the week instead that would be possible too. PM me or post in this thread if you are interested.

Because we all know playing smash once a week isn't enough (unless you're Z or DYC)
hey i would be very interested...i live in topeka so that would be easier for me...let me know details

Echo

Smash Champion
Getting together and playing games with friends and having a great time is... well, its great. But Brawl is just that - for fun. Theres just as much competitive aspect to it as you'd find in a game of Marty Party. I have been nerding smash bros since 64 and I honestly can't believe that I have no motivation for the game. I haven't even unlocked everything like chrs and stages and I probably never will because every time I think about turning the game on, I either pop in Melee and combo a cpu, or I turn on the 360 instead.

I see where you're coming from, both Jesi and Cups, and I totally agree with both. I would love to come down and hang out again sometime just because its too fun, but I won't be coming to take brawl seriously in the least.

but yeah how's everyone been doing ^_^

CFMV

"The Marf"
I'm not giving up on brawl just yet. I wish I coulda been at the barrio this weekend but i had too much work to do :(

And I'm with jesi ^^^^^

papermarkis

Smash Lord
Yes, I like playing Brawl because it's fun as well. It's just that Melee was both a very fun game and a very good competitive game at the same time. Brawl seems to have removed the latter portion.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend

I think it would be awesome, though i couldn't do sunday nights, but don't take me into account.

I might as well remind you guys, some may have missed it, that we have a twice a week game meeting at my Johnson County Community College that at the moment plays nothing but Brawl, though you may see the occasional Melee and Smash 64.

Jace08

Smash Lord
You guys can't forget that there's still a possibility that Brawl can become highly competetive in the future. I don't have to remind you that it took awhile to discover the SHFFL and wavedash. Perhaps the metagame will develop in a different direction than melee (i.e. technical skill). Maybe the focus will center more around character knowledge and prediction; I don't know, but something like that.

Of course, there's always the chance that the competetive game doesn't really improve much from this point... that would sure suck. I really do miss all of those competetive aspects from melee, especially comboing. On the bright side, though, I do think there is added depth to team play, what with the bigger roster and more moves to combine with each other and whatnot.

Hey, I'll cya at JCCC tomorrow, Stealth. If anyone else here lives somewhat close to the college you should really swing by.

Jesi

Smash Ace
But echo...i have never and will never have as much fun playing mario party as i will brawl. i don't even know how you can compare the two lol. I guess mario kart is on the same lines of brawl too huh? Maybe better right? lol....

personally i think some people are a little bitter..because the skills they learned in melee are m00t now and you have to learn a game all over again and it is of course not easy anymore because in melee everything was discovered already. all you had to do was practice the good stuff other ppl discovered and you could do decent in the game.

now without the instruction manual...you have to do some digging into the game by yourself. Which probably means YOU SUCK. and believe me, a lot of us suck. which is why..it's probably not very fun for some ppl. lol

But i know few ppl are accustomed to doing the kinda work to INVENT meta game, not just follow what others have discovered. In fact the only person i personally know who has done that is darkrain. i know for a fact he sat at home experimenting with combos and tricks to help create a meta game for falcon...and he continues to do so for DK. And as far as i can tell he's far better than a lot of us because of it. (And i don't just mean playing for like 20 mintues in practice mode or playing w/ your friends... i mean really sitting down and finding new things, hardcore experimentation).

Just think back to melee, why would you want to play a falcon? or fox? or falco? More likely, not solely because you loved star fox 64, or f-zero, but because of what you saw... you saw something amazing. Why? because someone invented a meta game, and won for it, even before you started playing and all you had to do was learn the tricks and suddenly you were competitive.

Well, and for most people they're not going to spend the time it takes to start inventing meta game.. and it probably doesnt' come as naturally to some as it does to others.

Basically what i'm trying to say is, there those that invent the game, and those that just want play the game.

Those who want to just play, will probably drop out of the beginning works of this game claiming its boring, and not as fun as melee, and maybe even go back to playing just melee (Isai anyone?) Those who are dedicated enough to discover this game will probably stay on and will become the next great generation of competitive smashers.

But what do I know. maybe brawl will tank in a few years...i just thought 'd get my two cents out. :p Hope no one's offended.... Best thing to do imo. Realize you suck right now. and probably will for a long time, and that if you want to be GOOD... i mean really good in this game, you have to start right now and keep going. if you don't care... yeah go back to melee. But i guarantee this game will get a competitive following. Your choice whether you want to be in it or not. Right now.

Man...Rob Falco guaranteed lol. <3 you guys.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
wow. I agree with everything said. already advanced techniques are popping up, and i believe that eventaully, it will approach the competitve level of melee (though i doubt the same qaulity of techniques will be the same as melee, as nintendo seems to have stamped a ton of stuff out). for an example of an interesting advanced technique, look at shell shifting on youtube http://youtube.com/watch?v=2yTMrFboN2I. very similar to stuff found in melee.

edit: Thank you Papermarkis, i spent so long trying to find a non-existant virus..... scared the crap out of me when i saw smash turned into halo.......

papermarkis

Smash Lord
Nice april fools day joke.
Brawl = Melee
Mario = Wario
Smash = Halo
ZSS = Boobs
PT = Ash
Dedede = Daydayday

EDIT:
****it! I can't even say the real words on some of these because it's only one way!

N64

Smash Champion
personally i think some people are a little bitter..because the skills they learned in melee are m00t now and you have to learn a game all over again and it is of course not easy anymore because in melee everything was discovered already. all you had to do was practice the good stuff other ppl discovered and you could do decent in the game.

now without the instruction manual...you have to do some digging into the game by yourself. Which probably means YOU SUCK. and believe me, a lot of us suck. which is why..it's probably not very fun for some ppl. lol
Now i'm going to say something probably very egotistical, but very true to me. I developed my own pikachu in melee from the ground. From almost nothing. I stole the basic all-character tactics from others (various lag cancelling, wding, dashdancing, etc.), and I stole quickattack ledge-hogging from AK's pika, but everything else I know about pikachu (I believe) I figured out myself. And I still hate brawl.

It's fun. Brawl can be fun. It's new. I've done my share of exploring already. I'm not saying I've 'discovered everything in the game' (I still have so much improvement to make in melee as well), but brawl seems different. I'm used to losing, right? I've played one of the worst characters in melee for so long. But there was almost always some way around a lot of tactics that would initially beat me. I just had to change my playstyle, watch and react faster, predict my opponent, or do something unorthodox. I could think of something that might work, try it out, and then judge if it's a viable solution throughout a match.

Now in brawl, I can do this more often. If it doesn't work, I get hit like 1-2 times, and I can try it again, whereas I might straight up die from it not working in melee. BUT, I have spent ENTIRE brawl games where my opponent does two to three things, and NOTHING I do works. I may be stuck in my melee ways thinkingwise, but regardless it's honestly not fun for me.

I've played around with knockback degredation to see what combos i can make, with limited success. I've sat and stared at my character going through individually every approach option I have and every defense option I have, what I can do from each, what the flaws in each are, etc. There's more for me to discover, I'm sure, but I don't get the same thrill as I did when I was in the same position in melee. There are fewwwww combos I've seen/done, and most of them suck. There are few safe approaches and far too many safe defenses. I dislike the game mechanics as we understand them now.

I dunno. Brawl = :/ for me. That's my personal take on it so far.

DrSalvador

Smash Cadet
The smashfest in Lawrence I mentioned earlier seems to be working out just fine. The best time for everyone seems to be Sunday afternoon. I plan on having the first smashfest this Sunday the 6th beginning at 4pm. The only problem is that I only have 1 confirmed wii and TV set to be there. If anyone can please bring their Wii that would really help. I have an extra TV that should work, though I don't know if it does, I've never used it(I think it needs a universal remote to get to the VIDEO input so you can play games on it). Also, there are only 2 people I know for sure that will be there. Once 2 more people post up that they are planning to come, I'll put up my address and directions. The time can still be changed a few hours later or earlier if that will work better. Now while only 2 people are confirmed to be there, we could have as many as 12, assuming everyone that said they were interested shows up. I anticipate we will have closer to 5 people, so if you were expecting more, sorry, but this is just the first event. I think we will get more people to come after the first few weeks.

Shaka

Smash Rookie
I can bring a wii and maybe a TV maybe

I can also bring like 3 people but they are worse than me and im pretty bad :ohwell:

Cups

Smash Ace
yay after 3 days of trying to get on, i've finally gotten back on SWF. you can only have fun if you are winning by a substantial and stupid amount, obviously you haven't attended a KC/Law run tourney, "where no fun is our rule number one."

cups is calling for berserk day soon

DrSalvador

Smash Cadet
"where no fun is our rule number one."
That's secretly my motto too... but keep it on the DL.

yay after 3 days of trying to get on, i've finally gotten back on SWF.
Wow you've got it even worse than me. I wonder what's going on anyways? It's always been bad, but not this bad.

D

Deleted member

I've been trying to get into this site forever :\

I got locked out so long i created an account on all is brawl

linkw00t

Smash Journeyman
It's been a while for me, I've been doing overtime saturday nights at work. 8 hours overtime = 120 bucks for me so...IDK.

I might be there this saturday, still playing smash alot. RL sucks.

Wow I just read back a few pages. A lot of what you all are saying makes sense. Especially Z and a few others. The game is really fun to me when I can play at a decent level. Against people who aren't going to stomp me to utter ruin. That being said, a lot of people like the game more than I do and want to be the best at it. I lack that kind of motivation for most games. I just like to play on a competitive level of my own. Getting destroyed over and over really breaks morale. But it's true, you gotta practice to get really good.

I mean I can spam the **** out of people with Falco, but that's about it. The game just doesn't keep my attention. It's flashy, it's awesome, it has good nintendo history. But honestly, to me it kinda feels like playing Oblivion after playing Morrowind. Almost seems to be like everything they've done to improve the game just makes it frustrating to me. Not to mention that I was never really that good at Melee to begin with.

I mean, once a nice meta game is developed and I can get some good instructions, I'll probably want to play more. I mean, I think it'd be nice if there was Warcraft 3-fests every Saturday. :p I've stuck to ladder and footmen frenzy at that one since 2002, and I have a 2v2 that's viscious! But Z's right, it's dissapointing to realize you suck. And unless you don't work hard you'll continue to suck.

Top Bottom