• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Massive speaks the truth. Besides, what other tourney would we even go to as a crew? Peefsmash XII?

And Jace I suppose I can drive to NE this weekend as long as you can make it to Topeka somehow.

Massive

Smash Champion
I'd hate to bring up that we've been doing this a long time, AGAIN.
You don't need to.

If they haven't figured out that most smash players do not and can not have a permanent Asperger's priapism for smash by now, they won't figure it out until they lose theirs.

only1Z

Smash Champion
SMYM is just where most of the midwest meets up and that's our clique, FC's WERE where we'd meet the rest of the smash community and be within a reasonable distance. Now there's Apex and Genesis, way out of some of our $ ranges. And no one wants to go to Rolla, just a fact. The last two tournies within our reach for a fun afternoon were just bad.
It's nice that Nebraska comes to chill with us every now and again though. It'd be cool to return the favor time and again, but I'm an old soul and would just prefer to spend 5-8 hours somewhere familiar on a Saturday.
However, this small rant is silly and meaningless~

Zantetsu

Smash Master
And no one wants to go to Rolla, just a fact.
Nobody other than Massive has explained their reasons for not wanting to go to Rolla. Can I ask you guys why you choose not to go to Rolla when opportunities arise? It was quite disappointing seeing Jace as the only Melee player who traveled from KC. It seems like Missouri's smash scene is rising, but our old prime locations (KC and St. Louis) are dying out. It sucks to see this.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Massive seemed to hate Rolla because of personal reasons, which shouldn't effect other people from going. I don't know about you all, but it seems very weird to me that you won't go to a smash tournament just because of where it is (not counting distance).

I go to Rolla and I stay in the venue the entire time, except for maybe walking across the street to the gas station or going on a lunch break with a few other players. I've talked to Rolla locals and they tell me how the place sucks because there's nothing to do.
I get that.
They get that.
We all get that.
Rolla is a ****ty city.

But you see, all of this information doesn't even matter, because I'm at Rolla for one reason, and that's to smash, so the city itself has no effect on me. I can understand other reasons to not attend, such as money issues, having to work, or just plain out not wanting to go, but when people use the city the tournament just happens to be located in as an excuse, I feel there's other reasons behind it.

only1Z

Smash Champion
I didn't want to go to the tourney. Your inability, in this, thread to take things even slightly as humorous is very taxing.
I'm tired of traveling, and I rarely have the money. Our scene was only a big deal because of Darkrain, and he's gone.

Jace08

Smash Lord
easy there, z. zantetsu can't be expected to understand our crew perfectly, he hasn't spent that much time with everyone

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
you shouldnt have to go to every tourney cause its close. as someone that kinda gets laughed at for going to nationals and going to less then ten percent of locals, sometimes you get more out of a bigger/further tourney, perhaps with more people you are interested in seeing/meeting again. kinda how i view it, at my job i make way more on the weekends so its hard for me to justify going to a tourney unless its worth my time

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I didn't want to go to the tourney. Your inability, in this, thread to take things even slightly as humorous is very taxing.
I'm tired of traveling, and I rarely have the money. Our scene was only a big deal because of Darkrain, and he's gone.
I'm apologize for not seeing the humor in any of this. I was just asking why people didn't want to go to Rolla specifically because it was in Rolla. That was all. I still don't see what's so humorous. Being tired of traveling/not having much money, those are fine excuses. I am perfectly fine with seeing these excuses because they're legit.

Also, having your scene being a big deal has nothing to do with you guys traveling. Do you think Springfield is a big deal? I doubt anybody outside of Missouri knows of our existence, but we don't care. I don't want you guys to travel because I think you're a big deal, I want you to travel because I enjoy playing a variety of players and most of you guys are good players, so of course I'm going to want to play you guys. The least you all could do is give real reasons why you can't go instead of following Massive's excuse which doesn't seem to apply to any of you.

you shouldnt have to go to every tourney cause its close. as someone that kinda gets laughed at for going to nationals and going to less then ten percent of locals, sometimes you get more out of a bigger/further tourney, perhaps with more people you are interested in seeing/meeting again. kinda how i view it, at my job i make way more on the weekends so its hard for me to justify going to a tourney unless its worth my time
This is another valid reason. I could probably save a lot of my money I spend going to Rolla and attend a bigger tournament in the summer, but I would rather play at all of those monthlies than attend 1 large national because I'm starting to lose interest in smash and I'm finding it more fun to focus on the local scene than the worldwide scene.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
I'm apologize for not seeing the humor in any of this. I was just asking why people didn't want to go to Rolla specifically because it was in Rolla. That was all. I still don't see what's so humorous. Being tired of traveling/not having much money, those are fine excuses. I am perfectly fine with seeing these excuses because they're legit.

Also, having your scene being a big deal has nothing to do with you guys traveling. Do you think Springfield is a big deal? I doubt anybody outside of Missouri knows of our existence, but we don't care. I don't want you guys to travel because I think you're a big deal, I want you to travel because I enjoy playing a variety of players and most of you guys are good players, so of course I'm going to want to play you guys. The least you all could do is give real reasons why you can't go instead of following Massive's excuse which doesn't seem to apply to any of you.

This is another valid reason. I could probably save a lot of my money I spend going to Rolla and attend a bigger tournament in the summer, but I would rather play at all of those monthlies than attend 1 large national because I'm starting to lose interest in smash and I'm finding it more fun to focus on the local scene than the worldwide scene.
Oh, we've definitely done our fair share of traveling. I was a relatively late addition to the crew and even I feel like I've been everywhere. Once that happens, it's hard to get up for anything that doesn't include some kind of non-Smash incentive (in SMYM's case, seeing lots of our old MW bros).

Sorry that we don't play Smash simply for Smash's sake anymore, but you're not going to guilt-trip us into going to Rolla

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I'm not trying to guilt trip anybody, because I myself don't feel like traveling most of the time, so I understand the feeling. Did my last 2 posts not clearly explain that all I wanted to know was "why" you don't want to travel? There was no attempt to convince you to go at all, so I don't know why you assume that I'm trying to guilt trip you into going.

I get it now. You're all burnt-out on smash and/or traveling. That's perfectly fine. I just wanted to see it confirmed by you guys so I don't go expecting the possibility of you guys traveling to a local tournament in the future. Now that I know, I won't expect nor will I bug you about it again. I'm sorry if I've offended anybody, because it wasn't my intention to piss anybody off. I was just curious to find out why we never see you guys, not ***** at you for not showing.

only1Z

Smash Champion
After your last 4 or so random drop ins on our thread you finally change your tone, thanks for that to. We traveled for darkrain, even though more then likely he would have gone on his own anyways.

You're right, being a big deal is a moot point but we were still his crew and that had obligations *although fun times* to pack up and run away with him to a random tourney and support him. We don't have that driving force that can run off and win a tourney 4-8 hours away anymore.

Now we got our baby boy Jace being the last person who REALLY wants to travel because he's still a rising star in a dying solar system.

Frankly we didn't have to explain to you any of our choices for going or not going to a tourney. I come off as a tough internet guy, but that's because your posts make me mad.
I think you act entitled just because for some reason you think we didn't fulfill some obligation to go to a tourney that we never said we were going to go to. Just because you went and are in MO doesn't mean we shoulda been there to.

Luckily you apologized and said you'd go away. So all is right with the world.

I get it now. You're all burnt-out on smash and/or traveling.
Don't put words in others mouths btw, it's rude.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Zan, maybe someday I will travel to Rolla.

But, in the mean time, they should be focusing on getting Jace to Topika so they and whoever else can come to Nebraska this weekend for a Bro-out mixed with a smash tournament.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
It's because you have no one to practice against anymore, whereas I was home last month honing skills against norcal's finest: zhu, shroomed, hmw, tafo, sfat, etc
also because I plan on becoming the best player in the midwest soon :D
I thought Zhu was in NY for engineering school...at least he was when I randomly dropped in to the East Coast for a No Johns tourney last August

Massive

Smash Champion
It's because you have no one to practice against anymore, whereas I was home last month honing skills against norcal's finest: zhu, shroomed, hmw, tafo, sfat, etc
So boastful, lol.

To be fair, Jace's worst matchup has always been Sheik. That and being any color other than Blue Falcon.

only1Z

Smash Champion
I know it's a tall order for you massive, being the busy man you are. Since jace and foo are gone, do you and Joe just want to come out to lawrence on friday for some co op? Start at 9-10ish, leave when you want~

Is Joe even alive anymore? :(

Jace08

Smash Lord
do you and Joe just want to come out to lawrence on friday for some co op? Start at 9-10ish, leave when you want~
ooo can I actually come for a little bit too? co-op gaming with z, dmac, and massive is too fun to pass up. And honda I'm assuming we'll just leave in the morning, and I can meet you in topeka np. thanks for driving

to be clear atma I wouldn't say I have no one to practice against anymore; dmac, z, rezo, and massive (+ phat when you actually play me!) all still really challenge me and keep our games close (a lot of the time I don't even see myself as better honestly, I just care more). it's just that everybody knows we're no norcal lol, me included, so you're right in that respect

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I need to play you. My sheik needs so much improvement.

To be fair, Jace's worst matchup has always been Sheik. That and being any color other than Blue Falcon.
Hopefully Jace has been practicing his RPS.

I can meet you in topeka np. thanks for driving
Does this mean it's official you guys are coming? Gonna put it on the thread title.

Massive

Smash Champion
I know it's a tall order for you massive, being the busy man you are. Since jace and foo are gone, do you and Joe just want to come out to lawrence on friday for some co op? Start at 9-10ish, leave when you want~

It really depends on how rambunctious I'm feeling after work on Friday, but I'm tentatively down.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I am renting out a venue for March 10 to attempt to host a Brawl tourney to test run if it's a good venue for a super regional I'm coordinating with MWE some time in October. The room holds 190 people max.

Did KC/Law Melee want to join in on the venue and co-run a tourney?

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
ooo can I actually come for a little bit too? co-op gaming with z, dmac, and massive is too fun to pass up. And honda I'm assuming we'll just leave in the morning, and I can meet you in topeka np. thanks for driving
Awesome, here's my address in case you don't have it in your GPS:

2428 SE 28th Terr
Topeka, KS 66605

Speaking of which, my car's lighter socket isn't working, so I don't know how we're going to get a GPS going...time to print out some MapQuest directions like it's 2003 lool (at least until we're near the venue, then I can just use my phone)

Be at my place at 9AM and with plenty of beef jerky!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Massive

Smash Champion
I am renting out a venue for March 10 to attempt to host a Brawl tourney to test run if it's a good venue for a super regional I'm coordinating with MWE some time in October. The room holds 190 people max.

Did KC/Law Melee want to join in on the venue and co-run a tourney?
That's the same weekend as SMYM. So, definitely not.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Alright thanks for the heads up. The 10th is the only day that I can do it unfortunately, so hopefully we can coordinate in the future.

I just checked out the venue today, and I could see it being able to handle two regional level tournaments (bigger than my BTEH venue). I'll let you know how this tournament goes and maybe we can work something out for future dates?

darkatma

Smash Hero

to be clear atma I wouldn't say I have no one to practice against anymore; dmac, z, rezo, and massive (+ phat when you actually play me!) all still really challenge me and keep our games close (a lot of the time I don't even see myself as better honestly, I just care more). it's just that everybody knows we're no norcal lol, me included, so you're right in that respect
lol I didn't mean any disrespect, In fact I think kansas crew >> stl crew right now.. most of our good people are inactive now... deku, geno, and lixi rarely ever play anymore.

If you moved here though, i think we'd both improve a lot, because we're both bad at the respective matchup, and you have a really good mindset for improvement :p

Plus don't be discouraged: I actually improved the most in my time in the midwest, not in my time in norcal. As in, I only got good after losing to a lot of people here. It's more important to find people just around your skill level or right above you so you can hone your game.

tl;dr: I <3 kansas and don't mean to sound like a ****

only1Z

Smash Champion
Jace has been complaining that we don't play him in the sheik match up enough, for 4 flippin years. If he doesn't get it by now, he's not gonna.

Want a tip jace, counterpick chars :p

darkatma

Smash Hero
Jace has been complaining that we don't play him in the sheik match up enough, for 4 flippin years. If he doesn't get it by now, he's not gonna.

Want a tip jace, counterpick chars :p
my worst matchups with sheik are actually sheik and falcon
I have just not had any experience with them ever.. but I think I get the falcon matchup now.

my worst matchups with peach are sheik and falcon as well actually

JoeMotion

Smash Cadet

I would be super down for this. I haven't been to Friendly Friday in far too long. Do we have anything in particular in mind? I have Twisted Metal...

only1Z

Smash Champion
That would be pretty sweet actually. I figured we'd just run Rayman and Jam again. I was about to look up a list for multiplayer junk on Wii.

Top Bottom