• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

darkatma

Smash Hero
I dunno about the rest of you, but a huge reason I go to tournies is to hang with my crew... so sorry darkatma but it doesn't look good. Also I pm'd that guy who said he was from kc but he hasn't responded. If he and his brother do, I guess that'd be a good opportunity to get to know them and we'd still go quote
yeah i'd understand if you didn't wanna go, half the time i'm only willing to go to tournies if my friends go as well.
but you guys should still try to make it, meet peeps and make friends haha

try to get the other 2 KC people to go if you can!

Massive

Smash Champion
I wish LeVar Burton could come to massivesmash.

The last 3 episodes have successfully 1-Upped the ones immediately before them in terms of awesome.
If this trend continues the show will have become OPTICAL HEROIN by the end of the season.

JoeMotion

Smash Cadet
Use of Chase and Chang characters is amazing.

So is anything going on local this weekend? Kinda want to play, but don't want to travel too far. Also just got a couch and an awesome chair!!

Smash Lord
Use of Chase and Chang characters is amazing.

So is anything going on local this weekend? Kinda want to play, but don't want to travel too far. Also just got a couch and an awesome chair!!
It looks like a joke imo, but naka kon is supposed to be running some melee stuff tomorrow. I don't expect any serious players to be there, but since no one seems to be hosting, it might be a good plan.

@honda and strongbad- Good luck. Hopefully the airports won't treat you too badly.

darkatma

Smash Hero
2 hours isnt that far guys!
cmon i just convinced 2 more (good) ppl from stl to go, pleasee go jace haha
you + massive + quote + any others would be really cool to hang out with, and you get there and get back on the same day

and I really wanna play some good falcon

gluck hondafoo at pound!

Smash Lord
Is anybody going to Naka-Kon? I have never been to an anime convention before...
I've never gone either. A friend that was going told me that they were running smash stuff. Melee starts at 2:00 just in case any of you are interested.

I blame mvc3 for obliterating our crew this weekend

I guess nakacon too

get em, hondafoo!
Is someone out of our group up there?

Man I wanna play so bad.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Posting from my phone...

Anyway, even though I didn't make it out of 1st round pools I felt like I was playing decently. I was a couple stocks away from getting 2nd or 3rd, but things just didn't work out.

Hax (0-2) - Did decent first game, I could tell he didn't have a strategy against Peach, but he was just way too fast and kept me off the stage. Second game I CPed FD and got 4-stocked, I was totally out of rhythm at that point

Apollo (0-2) - Suuuper close Peach dittos on FD, I could tell he was the better player but my spacing was really spot on. When things got tense though I got baited into a lot of stuff and he capitalized. Last stock high percentage for both games, really could have gone either way, and I should've won at least once. I definitely feel I'm better at dittos now though, so thats one good thing

Jake (1-2) - Another super close set that could've gone either way. First game was close on FD but I won, then he went Stadium and barely won there. Then I CPed DK64 and basically the whole thing degenerated into random moves, neither of us were spacing or anything lol. He played safe though and I got baited into stuff and eventually lost. I should've just went Dreamland

Maggot never showed

Other highlights:

- I took a game off Linguini in friendlies on Friday, he looked pissed haha
- Tec0 completely destroyed me with his Marth, that guy is ridiculous at the matchup. Arc you got company
- Beat Vectorman's Yoshi, but he's so fast god damn. His Falco also might be the best I've ever played
- Did really well against XIF in Peach dittos, so I think I'm getting way better at the matchup
- Played against M2K/Armada in team friendlies, 222rape

More updates later!!

Jace08

Smash Lord
thanks for the update honda, keep em coming. That's too bad about pools but the important thing is you're getting better. Good stuff against Linguini and Vectorman!

dmac

Smash Champion
http://www.justin.tv/redd91

if anyone is awake they're getting a live stream of the tourney started (i'm in the library lulz)

apparently no one knew there was a stable enough connection that a stream could have been run, till vectorman started up a hidden stream for friendlies and money matches... but they brought it up to the TOs and its tourney now

AustinRC

Smash Lord
O shiiiii Armada with the Y.Link damn.

Its not a horrible matchup. Y.Link has some very good projectiles that can go in many different directions. So its pretty much just a bair/ throwing projectile game on high level of play which is what armada did and won. Its not one sided but more like 55/45 in Jigglypuff's favor is my guess.

Massive

Smash Champion
ylink vs jiggs is actually a pretty good matchup.

Where Peach will die at very low %s to rest combos, young link can escape them just by holding onto a bomb.

Additionally, jiggs has trouble with projectiles, and ylink has a LOT of projectiles.
The boomerang will give decent spacing vs jiggs and can cancel some approaches if the coming back angle is within the trajectory of the jiggs' approach.

Finally, ylink has that unavoidable dthrow -> dair combo that KOs at mid %s and is effectively a vertical jacecombo.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
When Armada pulled out the Young Link everyone was out of their mind, it's possibly the most hype thing I've ever experienced ever, I can't even describe it

I'll post all of the results & reflections of my experience tomorrow

btw we had to leave before GFs, Armada lost :(:(:(

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I talked to Armada about why he used Young Link. His explanation was something like this:
I wanted to use a character that Hungrybox would have no experience against and had an okay match-up against Jigglypuff, so my choices were Ice Climbers or Young Link, and Young Link was way easier to learn.

btw I leveled up so much at this tourney. should have vids up against Uuaa, Lord HDL (took 3 stocks off of him game 2 :o), Scar (last stock two games in our money match), Vectorman (ridiculous stuff in friendlies), Axe (WTF this guy is too good), and more within the week.

I played Phish-it & RockCrock and learned a bit of DK stuff from them, too. I'm just sad I didn't get to play Amsah in more than 1 game and I didn't play Armada at all -.-

Best weekend of my LIFE!

EDIT:
Did someone say young link 0_0
hahaha HondaFoo and I kept saying "that ain't jturley" during that set

Massive

Smash Champion
I really just wanted to have an awesome massivesmash this weekend, lol.
Now we got Jace all starry-eyed about tourneys and whatnot.

Top Bottom