• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Sooooooooooooooooooooo games at Arc's then? At 6 or so? What is the verdict

Massive

Smash Champion
If there's massivesmash during the week it will have to be after I get off work (i'm usually home at like 6:30ish) and dudes would have to leave at midnight so I could sleep. That is, unless we did it on Friday.

Smash Lord
I'm going to both NE and OK

I need a partner for NE though, as I believe Z greatly dislikes me as a teammate. Me, of all people! ME!

@quote -- Probably about $20 for gas, $20-30 for a hotel and whatever you need for food and the entry fee
Not likely I'd that I'd be able to go. If you do have an extra seat in the car later on and I manage to scrape in some extra money I'd go. As of right now I can barely afford to drive. Thanks for giving me a price tag, it helps me out a lot.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
So Arc and I are off to KC to play with the BRAWL kids...

I'm so disappointed in all of you.

dmac

Smash Champion
minnesota markis what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

my smash travel time is up to that length NP for a big tourney

my ssf4 travel time is about an hour...

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
So Arc and I are off to KC to play with the BRAWL kids...

I'm so disappointed in all of you.
Man, I was hoping to see you guys there. If you ever want to go to this, I always drive out there by myself. I'd be willing to carpool. We've been getting a consistent 8-12 people over the last month.

papermarkis

Smash Lord
minnesota markis what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

my smash travel time is up to that length NP for a big tourney

my ssf4 travel time is about an hour...
Did you not see that they have Smash there? I don't know how big the Melee participation will be but considering it's like 5 months from now that gives it time to become a big Melee tourney.

Massive

Smash Champion
Man, I was hoping to see you guys there. If you ever want to go to this, I always drive out there by myself. I'd be willing to carpool. We've been getting a consistent 8-12 people over the last month.
Are they doin' stuff at the JCCC again?

Hory ****, I just realized that SMYM 12 is only 2 months from this Saturday.
That's only 5 Massivesmashes away.

Get practicin' kids.

Smash Lord
Are they doin' stuff at the JCCC again?

Hory ****, I just realized that SMYM 12 is only 2 months from this Saturday.
That's only 5 Massivesmashes away.

Get practicin' kids.
Not really, the JCCC people pretty much moved to having smashfests at Duck's place.

Any chance of games today?

7:00 is the latest I will leave.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
I would play quote but no one in Lawrence wants to host it seems

@Lux - I may take you up on that sometime, I've been to Blake's once by myself but coming from Topeka the drive would be pretty intense

DeLux

You totally should. I'm trying to build a Lawrence Brawl scene. And after the end of the month, I'll pick up melee to play with you guys a little. For fun. If I took melee as seriously as I take Brawl, my head would explode.

Massive

Smash Champion
You can take brawl seriously? lol

If you take melee seriously you get better at all 3 smashes.

If you take brawl seriously you only get better at brawl.

DeLux

You can take brawl seriously? lol

If you take melee seriously you get better at all 3 smashes.

If you take brawl seriously you only get better at brawl.
Going in order:

Yes you can.

Debatable, given the amount of customization my Brawl game has, I suspect it would make me worse at my competitive main, but better at Brawl in general.

That's a sacrafice I'd be willing to make.

rpotts

Smash Lord
my 64 tech skill helped a lot in melee. learning melee tech skill got me a bit faster and helped me learn to tech chase/react quicker in 64. My prowess in the aforementioned games makes me suck at brawl. Y I NO L CANCEL?!?!! MY WAIVEDASH TYMING IS OFF FFFFFUUUU I CANT HAZ WAVESHINE??

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Brawl seems to help my spacing a LOT, at least as Peach

Last time I played Brawl I remember playing Peach for about two hours, basically fairing the entire time since that's her only good move. When I switched over to Melee, besides having to adjust to the technical side of things a bit, I was spacing her fairs super-ridiculously well. That is why I want to play more Brawl.

Massive

Smash Champion
Brawl seems to help my spacing a LOT, at least as Peach

Last time I played Brawl I remember playing Peach for about two hours, basically fairing the entire time since that's her only good move. When I switched over to Melee, besides having to adjust to the technical side of things a bit, I was spacing her fairs super-ridiculously well. That is why I want to play more Brawl.
I'm going to posit that if you had played peach for 2 hours in melee basically fairing the entire time, you would have also ended up spacing your fairs super ridiculously well (perhaps, more super ridiculously well).

I'm still a firm believer that after you have a decent technical grounding in melee, the game ends up being a largely mental pursuit. You can practice dashdancing, technical waveshining, pillaring, or dropzone-knees all you like; it amounts to nothing when someone who is able to analyze your patterns reads you like Seuss and makes you feel like you're getting HOMESCHOOLED.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Massive, is that why you refuse to learn to waveshine?

EDIT: Speaking of, honda you ever get that falco insanity vid edited/uploaded?

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
I'm going to posit that if you had played peach for 2 hours in melee basically fairing the entire time, you would have also ended up spacing your fairs super ridiculously well (perhaps, more super ridiculously well).
Maybe. Peach has more air mobility after her fair in Brawl though, so it's arguably easier to get them off, as opposed to in Melee where she has more windup before/cooldown after. Something about that extra period of vulnerability seems to mess with my rhythm when doing a bunch of consecutive fairs in Melee. When I play Brawl first, fairs are such an integral part of her game that you just learn how to space them naturally and on a more precise level. Then when I switch to Melee, it's like shackles have been taken off her since she's quicker and has more jumping range, and the difference in fair timing is very manageable. Plus the spacing seems to carry over.

It's not a solution I expect to work with everyone, and it tends to be more psychological than technical, but it definitely works for me on a very noticeable level.

rpotts

Smash Lord
NICE TRY TOLLVAR MCTROLLERSON.

I can waveshine just fine.
I just hate playing as space manimals, get your facts straight.
wasn't tryin to troll. It's just been to long since I've made it out to massive smash. Last time I played your falco you exclusively SH'd out of shine, and told me you never waveshined.

Massive

Smash Champion
wasn't tryin to troll. It's just been to long since I've made it out to massive smash. Last time I played your falco you exclusively SH'd out of shine, and told me you never waveshined.
I never waveshine on falco because it doesn't really fit into my "I hate them space animals" style. Please note that in our fox matches, I waveshine > usmash quite frequently.

pyroty

Smash Apprentice
Maybe. Peach has more air mobility after her fair in Brawl though, so it's arguably easier to get them off, as opposed to in Melee where she has more windup before/cooldown after. Something about that extra period of vulnerability seems to mess with my rhythm when doing a bunch of consecutive fairs in Melee. When I play Brawl first, fairs are such an integral part of her game that you just learn how to space them naturally and on a more precise level. Then when I switch to Melee, it's like shackles have been taken off her since she's quicker and has more jumping range, and the difference in fair timing is very manageable. Plus the spacing seems to carry over.

It's not a solution I expect to work with everyone, and it tends to be more psychological than technical, but it definitely works for me on a very noticeable level.
Nah Handa, I can vouch for you. When I played brawl, near the end I was excessively using peach because of her still available float canceling. I don't think its just psychological, it is easier to do them consistently, in sequence. Meaning, its easier to do them over and over and over again to help you optimize spacing/timing ect. Which in turn could help you substantially in Melee where it's not as easy to pull them off in sequence like this so I can see where you're coming from. In the end, yes, brawl is still a terrible game, but it could be useful in this aspect.

Top Bottom