• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City Area Brawl Thread

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Come to Nebraska and make them quit, that game sucks and I don't want our smash players wasting their time with that crap.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Sorry, probably won't make it

I might take a few days to process if I still want to keep playing. Something about the last tournament just didn't sit right with me. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely ecstatic when I see you guys improving so it's not anything with the scene. I got more of a thrill rooting for Eggman and GIMB to win than I did playing my own matches.

It's more that I haven't been doing any technical preparation for tournies and even though I'm doing "well", I know I could be doing so much better if I would get off SWF for a second and practice like I used to. I didn't really realize that my preparation was an issue because I've been so busy working and going to school, but I took stock of how I budget my time and I've been doing between 0-1 hours of tech work a week when I used to do 1 hour a day at least, usually more. And thinking back through my last few tournies, I've been losing options because my tech game wasn't there.

:\ If I can't make time, it might be time for me to do something else. I wish for once I had a tourney that I came back happy with how I played, instead of having a sleepless night agonizing over my mistakes like right now. I have a lot of things going on in my life all of a sudden (especially with some stuff that came up today), and Brawl is only worth it if it's fun and I'm motivated to do the work

Smash Lord
Sorry, probably won't make it

I might take a few days to process if I still want to keep playing. Something about the last tournament just didn't sit right with me. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely ecstatic when I see you guys improving so it's not anything with the scene. I got more of a thrill rooting for Eggman and GIMB to win than I did playing my own matches.

It's more that I haven't been doing any technical preparation for tournies and even though I'm doing "well", I know I could be doing so much better if I would get off SWF for a second and practice like I used to. I didn't really realize that my preparation was an issue because I've been so busy working and going to school, but I took stock of how I budget my time and I've been doing between 0-1 hours of tech work a week when I used to do 1 hour a day at least, usually more. And thinking back through my last few tournies, I've been losing options because my tech game wasn't there.

:\ If I can't make time, it might be time for me to do something else. I wish for once I had a tourney that I came back happy with how I played, instead of having a sleepless night agonizing over my mistakes like right now. I have a lot of things going on in my life all of a sudden (especially with some stuff that came up today), and Brawl is only worth it if it's fun and I'm motivated to do the work
Lux, don't worry about it. Stuff will pile up. Sometimes you need to go on a temporary hiatus to deal with it. It can also help a lot with the whole agonizing over mistakes thing because people usually come back more optimistic and start off with a clean slate mindset.

Above all else though. Don't quit. People like me need your help.

Working on labor day is fun.......well I made 100 dollars anyways
God I'm so jealous right now. I spent my day doing homework. I don't get paid for that at all.

By the way, if you ever feel like having someone take over an inconvenient shift for you, let me know.

I think I can say that I've made some improvement to my game. My DI has gotten a lot better. I'm living through stuff that would have killed me 3-4 months ago. I didn't really notice it until Saturday.

DeLux

Remember that whole speel where I was like "it's not you guys, it's me"?

I take it back

You guys are too homo for me.

BBL quitting brawl

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
im not gay

i just find that acting gay can provide some.....interesting....results

also an old mechanism i had as a child to keep myself isolated from people LOL

still find it funny to do though

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Hey guys, if any of you are going to Pathways in Springfield, could you give me a ride? I'm on the way and I'll contribute to gas.

DeLux

I said most likely.

I already listed that I needed 3 other people that wanted to go for me to go for gas money

DeLux

I'm bad and will probably come in like 4th/5th because they figured out that all Iv'e been doing is dash grabbing down there :\

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Phil let me know if you find some people, I'd appreciate a ride and I'd be on the way :D If you wanna team too let me know, I'm not bad in teams (i hope!)

And if we play in singles I only want to play your ics >=]

Smash Lord
Alright I need some advice.

I was leaving school today. I left through a side door, walked up the stairs to go out to the parking lot (which runs by the front door). Some guy walks up to me and says he needs a ride home since the bus isn't coming or something along these lines. He looked kind of shady so I was reluctant to do anything. He walks with me out to my car and keeps pleading and I give in at the last second. He said he lived about a mile or so out, so I thought that it wasn't too bad to take him.

We chat on the way there. We talked a bit about music, my car's lack of AC, etc. Initially before going into my car I told him that I was going the opposite direction into downtown Kansas City because I really wan't too interested. Anyway, when get to his house, he asks if he can borrow my cell phone to make a call, so he heads upstairs in the apartment complex while making a call. He comes back out, and realizes that he doesn't have my cell phone, so he goes back up to get it.

When he comes out, he tells me that his uncle is holding onto it and says that he can't have it back for some reason. I ask him if I can talk to his uncle can come out to talk to me. His response was just a roundabout way of saying no. Then he says that his uncle would give it back for some money. At this point, I know that he's screwing me for sure. I just didn't know how he was going to do it until just then. I thought it would have been a little bit more direct but whatever.

Anyway, I went ahead and asked him how much on the off chance that it was something small like 5 bucks. He says 50$. I laugh in the back of my head because the thing isn't even worth half of that, and probably less because I don't like my cell phone in general. I tell him that it's not even worth fifty bucks.
Then he lowers his price to thirty. I show him my empty wallet. He opens up the thing between the two front seats where people keep coins to see if I have any change and asks if I have a lot of quarters. In retrospect this is actually kind of funny. This guy was desperate to try to steal quarters from me. He doesn't see much and puts it back.

At this point I'm impatient and just want to get home. In the meantime, he's trying to get me to go to a gas station for some reason. So I extend the lie about me needing to get to downtown Kansas City and said that I needed to be there in thirty minutes (It takes that long to get there give or take 5 minutes.)because I work then. He let's me go.

Before I left, I told him he could leave it at the music department at the school and I could just pick it up tomorrow. I seriously doubt that he would do this, but if it works, that's awesome.

I called the campus police a little while ago to see if they might be able to pull something off of the security cameras because I was able to give them a fairly reasonable timeframe so that it wasn't too much work. I'll be seeing if I can do anything with it tomorrow.

So this is the story of how I lost my worthless cell phone. I kind of feel sorry for the guy. He just committed a crime for absolutely nothing. It was a disposable cell phone that he probably didn't have a charger for. It's going to be fairly difficult for him to get any use out of it. The only issue is that I still don't have my cell phone. It'd probably be about 20-50$ to get another one. I haven't called the normal police yet and would like to avoid it if possible. The whole process is a hassle, and I'm not fond of the idea of sending someone to jail just because they took a small easily replaceable object.

TL;DR

I lost my cell phone and need to know what to do. Bare minimum read the last paragraph.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
That's one of the best stories I've ever read, I'm sorry you got screwed over by a crackhead and his crackhead uncle.

Edit:

wait, you need advice? Yeah, don't give rides to strangers, don't let people take your phone away from your view of sight.

For this specific event, you can't do much really, unless you see the guy again. Stalk him and find out where his classes are and then let security take care of him.

Smash Lord
This is kind of weird. I'm getting responses all over the place. I've posted this in a number of different forums. About half of the people I hear say call the cops and the other half are saying that it's probably best to just be passive. What bugs me is that I don't have any hard evidence, let alone soft evidence to work with. I'm pretty sure that the dude's uncle doesn't exist in the first place. Nobody goes about extortion spotaneously. It always involves a plan. Furthermore, I don't think for sure that the place he had me take him was really his apartment. If it is, he's pretty dumb.

DeLux

Uhhh call your phone and have it traced?

Call the cops for sure and they will give you more advice.

Don't call 911. Call the regular police phoneline for your city

Smash Lord
Uhhh call your phone and have it traced?

Call the cops for sure and they will give you more advice.

Don't call 911. Call the regular police phoneline for your city
I'm not sure if every PD has that kind of tech of them, and even then, that stuff has it's limits. Keep in mind that this is KCK and not KCMO. I'll try it anyway though. If there's something that I've missed, that would be good to know.

Is there anyway I can take care of this without the guy being arrested? I'd rather not press any charges if possible. I mean seriously, going to jail over a 30$ phone is just dumb and this is coming from the guy that got screwed over.

I should point out that I'm not super pissed about this or anything.

DeLux

Just call the cops and ask "what do we do from here"

Top Bottom