• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
BKupa666 BKupa666 for EVO 2016 as K.Rool.

He will rekt with disrespekt m8s with his King.

Beign serious for a moment though, i would like to see K.Rool as competitively viable character just to shut up the "Heavyweights suck " hate bandwagon.
:4myfriends::4falcon::4wario2::4dk:

I get what you mean, I'm just being coy~ ;3

The K. Rool and Isaac fanbases have been on friendly terms for a long time now, so no one in either fanbase makes fun of the other, basically.

:231:
Nothing wrong with good-natured ribaldry.

It's a good comment on the current state of the ballot.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The K. Rool and Isaac fanbases have been on friendly terms for a long time now, so no one in either fanbase makes fun of the other, basically.

Oh no, I wasn't trying to make fun of Issac, it's just that I belive that there's a chance he may be a Mii Costume later on. Not trying to offend anyone.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
There's a chance for anyone to be a Mii costume. ****ing Flying Man became a Mii Costume. FLYING MAN (Disappointed there is no Masked Man costume).
Well to be fair, the Brawler's attacks match up quite well with the Flying Man's from the Magicant stage, such as the Brawler's up Smash.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
@TropicalBreeze These crocodile facts have really been a highlight of this thread recently, keep 'em up!

I remember suggesting the Kremlings should be redesigned to look more like gharials with long snouts in response to this guy from DK Vine who said Kremlings don't have gameplay value compared to Tikis (due to Tikis having flat drum heads that invite players to jump on them). Nowadays, it'd definitely be cool to see some in the next DKC's water levels, along with that saltwater crocodile from earlier.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Huh. Can't believe I missed the post about Gharials, considering they're native to the region when I live.

A Gharial Kremling with an exaggerated snout would make for an interesting boss or enemy. The fleshy bit could be a jumping pad.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
BKupa666 BKupa666 for EVO 2016 as K.Rool.

He will rekt with disrespekt m8s with his King.

Beign serious for a moment though, i would like to see K.Rool as competitively viable character just to shut up the "Heavyweights suck " hate bandwagon.
I don't understand why casuals would say heavies suck because they're good at that level lol. Heavies are super fun on FG

If he just gets the canon moves everyone gives him in their movesets, he'd suck unless he had some serous frame data or really early kill confirms. DK has kill confirms at like 70% off a grab at the moment and he's still held back competitively by his size.

For some reason I think Sakurai won't make K.Rool because of supposed moveset issues, which I think would be bull. Not because he has a bunch of canon moves at his disposal like everybody mentions. Just throwing together canon moves doesn't necessarily make a good moveset. The reason I think it's bull it's because the guy often forgoes canon and just makes up his own moves, or gives them another character's moves.

That's why it annoys me when people try justify unwanted characters like WFT by her 'unique moveset'. If Sakurai is willing to make up his own moves then he can make any character have an interesting moveset. He could've just given us the characters we wanted and improvised moves so they'd play well.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
User was warned for this post
I don't understand why casuals would say heavies suck because they're good at that level lol. Heavies are super fun on FG

If he just gets the canon moves everyone gives him in their movesets, he'd suck unless he had some serous frame data or really early kill confirms. DK has kill confirms at like 70% off a grab at the moment and he's still held back competitively by his size.

For some reason I think Sakurai won't make K.Rool because of supposed moveset issues, which I think would be bull. Not because he has a bunch of canon moves at his disposal like everybody mentions. Just throwing together Canon moves doesn't necessarily make a good moveset. The reason I think it's bull it's because the guy often forgoes canon and just makes up his own moves, or gives them another character's moves.

That's why it annoys me when people try justify unwanted characters like WFT by her 'unique moveset'. If Sakurai is willing to make up his own moves then he can make any character have an interesting moveset. He could've just given us the characters we wanted and improvised moves so they'd play well.
Because they don't know how to play heavies. I mean c'mon guys, its super easy. Just have a MEDIC! stick by you at all times. :troll:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I remember reading recently that the K. Rool costume is possibly a product of the team choosing K. Rool and starting to make him, but dropping him because of "some problem coming up." Which, I don't think it's a real possibility...there's nothing truly difficult about making K. Rool in comparison to other characters, and no way would they model him and map out a moveset, uncertain if he'd "work," only to find that midway through the project, he doesn't.

It's still something worth discussing, though, how easy it would be to actually program a K. Rool moveset. A few people have said "maybe they won't add him because he's too complex." I imagine, barring some convoluted mechanic, he'd be around the difficulty of Mega Man or Bowser Jr. in terms of having a bunch of projectiles, but nothing that requires a lot of drawn-out programming that could prove inhibiting.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I remember reading recently that the K. Rool costume is possibly a product of the team choosing K. Rool and starting to make him, but dropping him because of "some problem coming up." Which, I don't think it's a real possibility...there's nothing truly difficult about making K. Rool in comparison to other characters, and no way would they model him and map out a moveset, uncertain if he'd "work," only to find that midway through the project, he doesn't.

It's still something worth discussing, though, how easy it would be to actually program a K. Rool moveset. A few people have said "maybe they won't add him because he's too complex." I imagine, barring some convoluted mechanic, he'd be around the difficulty of Mega Man or Bowser Jr. in terms of having a bunch of projectiles, but nothing that requires a lot of drawn-out programming that could prove inhibiting.
It's possible, just saying that that's a justified reason as to why they'd omit such a popular character.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I just wanted to ask if anyone could find a character that K. Rool's skeleton could be rigged into. Bowser, Dedede, etc?

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Because they don't know how to play heavies. I mean c'mon guys, its super easy. Just have a MEDIC! stick by you at all times. :troll:
Meet the Rool.
K.Rool: "Dr. Mario! Are you sure this will work!?"
:4drmario:: "I HAVE NO IDEA!!" *übercharges K.Rool with unlimited Final Smashes and broken tier awesomeness*
K.Rool: "I AM Mii COSTUME-PROOF!!!" - standing gloriously a top pile of defeated K.ostume K. Miis.

I'd like to mention that I'm also thinking of a few Garry's Mod shorts - but most of those will wait for the end of the HSC. K. Rool will make a cameo at the end of one of them, that is, if I can work out how to get K.Rool's krown on Scout's head without crashing... and also fix the error on the K.Rool model that stops it from actually appearing... Now back to study for me.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Meet the Rool.
K.Rool: "Dr. Mario! Are you sure this will work!?"
:4drmario:: "I HAVE NO IDEA!!" *übercharges K.Rool with unlimited Final Smashes and broken tier awesomeness*
K.Rool: "I AM Mii COSTUME-PROOF!!!" - standing gloriously a top pile of defeated K.ostume K. Miis.

I'd like to mention that I'm also thinking of a few Garry's Mod shorts - but most of those will wait for the end of the HSC. K. Rool will make a cameo at the end of one of them, that is, if I can work out how to get K.Rool's krown on Scout's head without crashing... and also fix the error on the K.Rool model that stops it from actually appearing... Now back to study for me.
You should try to do some SFM. That's what Valve's using for there TF2 trailer, so you should be able to do some magic too;).

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice

I don't think there's any kind of technical reason that would prevent K. Rool from getting in. I do think, for balance reasons, he probably wouldn't play like a lot of people think he would. He's a character everyone expects to be heavier than DK (2nd heaviest in the entire game) and yet fans want him to have all sorts of projectiles and crazy stuff he can do, like the blunderbuss. That's fairly unprecedented, and the only super heavyweight character with a real projectile is Dedede, who is made so that it can backfire horribly on him.

So I think K. Rool's chances are pretty good, and I don't think he'd be excluded for a reason like that, but it is possible that the act of balancing him and making his uniqueness shine through is difficult for the dev team.

whitekirby9

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-2712-4478
Maybe. It's up to Nintendo/Sakurai to acknowledge Change. I honestly feel Nintendo might be a little sour on Change.org since that's where the ever infamous petition to remove Federation Force from existence was. I wonder how many sign ups it got...anyway, I think if Nintendo doesn't acknowledge that petition, I don't think they will acknowledge a K. Rool one.

To be honest I think the Ballot is the only way to really try and get through to them, as much as we'd all want to contribute something even more.

Welcome aboard, Kutthroat! This ship is due to either make port or sink in the harbor, but we're pleased none the less to have you part of the crew!

Edit: POKEMANSPIKA POKEMANSPIKA I'm catching up with you!
Yes indeed, i am one of you,
along with the Supporting Shantae on on the Dee-lc Waddle dee supporters
also
go isaac as well
they all are confirmed but not shantae
BTw
king k rool WILL make it

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't think there's any kind of technical reason that would prevent K. Rool from getting in. I do think, for balance reasons, he probably wouldn't play like a lot of people think he would. He's a character everyone expects to be heavier than DK (2nd heaviest in the entire game) and yet fans want him to have all sorts of projectiles and crazy stuff he can do, like the blunderbuss. That's fairly unprecedented, and the only super heavyweight character with a real projectile is Dedede, who is made so that it can backfire horribly on him.

So I think K. Rool's chances are pretty good, and I don't think he'd be excluded for a reason like that, but it is possible that the act of balancing him and making his uniqueness shine through is difficult for the dev team.
Actually, he'd probably suck if they designed him the way fans are proposing. Blunderbuss and crown toss would be slow by nature. Jetpac recovery would be gimpable unless they gave it armour or he could re use it if he gets knocked out of it.

Slow projectiles plus likely low mobility means he'd be easy to get in on. Also, if he's heavy, has range (he would given his size) and projectiles, then they'd make it difficult for him to kill. Jr. is an example of this design philosophy. He has unusually good mobility for a heavy, so they gave him low kill potential. Wario is mobile and can kill relatively easily, but it's balanced by his short range.

If K.Rool is to be strong competitively it'd likely be a result of having good normals, and possibly improvised specials too. But if you made a canon-based kit that's true to his games then he'd probably be lower-mid tier.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Not really K. Rool related, but I'm having a ton of fun with DK in the new Skylanders

Just wondering if anyone else here is playing it. I'm basically soloing the story mode with him so he's super strong right now. Only thing is I went TNT path when spike path is probably better for nightmare runs. I went TNT because it seemed cooler and it's also the more technical path, but it bugs me that it's probably worse, although I don't know the damage numbers at the moment.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Not really K. Rool related, but I'm having a ton of fun with DK in the new Skylanders

Just wondering if anyone else here is playing it.
I picked up both, but I'm playing the 3DS version mainly as I have a lot more time for handheld titles. I'm alternating between a few characters, though, with Bowser and DK among them. :p

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
Actually, he'd probably suck if they designed him the way fans are proposing. Blunderbuss and crown toss would be slow by nature. Jetpac recovery would be gimpable unless they gave it armour or he could re use it if he gets knocked out of it.

Slow projectiles plus likely low mobility means he'd be easy to get in on. Also, if he's heavy, has range (he would given his size) and projectiles, then they'd make it difficult for him to kill. Jr. is an example of this design philosophy. He has unusually good mobility for a heavy, so they gave him low kill potential. Wario is mobile and can kill relatively easily, but it's balanced by his short range.

If K.Rool is to be strong competitively it'd likely be a result of having good normals, and possibly improvised specials too. But if you made a canon-based kit that's true to his games then he'd probably be lower-mid tier.
The problem with the Bowser Jr. comparison is that K. Rool would probably be much heavier than he is. Donkey Kong is already significantly heavier, and I expect K. Rool would have to be at least as hard to launch as he is, probably more so. I'm also not sure that making a super heavyweight with bad killing potential would be very fun, but that's beside the point.

Also, I wasn't really talking about K. Rool being strong competitively. Competitive play is only one form of play that the game needs to be designed around. Most people would agree that in a 1v1 situation, the big heavyweight characters aren't that good, because they get dominated by faster characters that have more tools, but Smash is built around much more than that. You also need to factor in player skill level and the number of players. Certain characters like Kirby have moves like his Down Special that will work on less experienced players but almost never hit a veteran. Additionally, some characters thrive in team battles or 4-player free-for-alls, and some work better in timed matches than in stock matches.

I'm not saying that K. Rool can't have a projectile, it's just that giving him "a bunch" and making them pivotal to his moveset isn't something you see for a reason. Heavyweights are usually simple characters because making them big and strong and hard to launch means scaling them back a lot in other ways, otherwise they become broken in certain game modes.

ThePhenomTaker

Smash Cadet
at this point king k.rool really is confirmed for Super Smash Bros WiiU/3DS from the Ballot also i liked the way he was in ''Super Donkey Kong with mario'' Manga book made by japan i just checked that out on twitter a Minute ago

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I picked up both, but I'm playing the 3DS version mainly as I have a lot more time for handheld titles. I'm alternating between a few characters, though, with Bowser and DK among them. :p
I got both but haven't played 3ds. Might give it away since Wii u has racing anyway.

Haven't played much with Bowser, but he doesn't seem as fun as DK because not as mobile and his kit has less utility. His superchallenge is way easier though.

Fun fact- If you summon Diddy and go to the Barrel Blaster, you'll have two Diddies on the screen at once. It also bugs me that he only uses one popgun.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
at this point king k.rool really is confirmed for Super Smash Bros WiiU/3DS from the Ballot also i liked the way he was in ''Super Donkey Kong with mario'' Manga book made by japan i just checked that out on twitter a Minute ago
You mean that one manga where Funky runs around in his underwear, Rambi cracks open a a living seashell to get its pearl, Winky eating a bunch of Zingers, Mario being attracted to Candy, Yoshi and Peach giving you the finger, and DK stuffing K.Rool in a barrel and dumping it into the ocean leaving K.Rool to drown?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You mean that one manga where Funky runs around in his underwear, Rambi cracks open a a living seashell to get its pearl, Winky eating a bunch of Zingers, Mario being attracted to Candy, Yoshi and Peach giving you the finger, and DK stuffing K.Rool in a barrel and dumping it into the ocean leaving K.Rool to drown?

ThePhenomTaker

Smash Cadet
yup thats the one i was looking at however there is only two ''Super Donkey Kong with mario'' manga books found at DKvine and i checking them out to find it very interesting

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
How are you so sure that we will see something aside from Maro Maker's stage on the 30th? If anything, we may get more customes, and that's it...

Decomfirmations, at that, most likely... :troll:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
The 30th is a good day to get pre-ballot stuff if there is still any left. Mii costumes are the most likely, perhaps another stage.

But I don't think there are any pre-ballot characters left. Especially K. Rool and Wolf. It would mean that all the votes that went for those characters meant nothing because they were making them already.
Kind of like Roy who was getting a lot of votes at the beginning (mostly Japan). The he got revealed, and people had enough time to change their vote.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The 30th is a good day to get pre-ballot stuff if there is still any left. Mii costumes are the most likely, perhaps another stage.

But I don't think there are any pre-ballot characters left. Especially K. Rool and Wolf. It would mean that all the votes that went for those characters meant nothing because they were making them already.
Kind of like Roy who was getting a lot of votes at the beginning (mostly Japan). The he got revealed, and people had enough time to change their vote.
I don't really see how any votes went to waste if they were just making them anyway. Besides, they could've started the characters within the first couple months of the ballot, or used ideas from the ballot to improve characters.

Sir_Killz

Smash Cadet
Character leak confirmed, Donald Trump to be announced on September 30th.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace

Well if K. Rool DOESN'T get in, either way if he was cut, or sakurai is clueless about quality character choice, I'll demand a reason as to "why" like ridley got or I'll be indefinitely diisipointed with sakurai, not smash 4, because I love smash 4 and any dlc characters that get in.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Think a new mod is looking over this thread because people now are getting warnings for stuff that was deemed acceptable before. Think they want discussion to be strictly K. Rool DLC-based, and not also a general DK social thread like it has been over the last couple of years.

Also people are expecting DLC on the 30th, but if it was coming with the Maker patch I figured it'd make more sense to drop the patch after the ballot end. It's only three days after. But then I suppose that'd be a lot more suss and kill a lot of the surprise factor.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Think a new mod is looking over this thread because people now are getting warnings for stuff that was deemed acceptable before. Think they want discussion to be strictly K. Rool DLC-based, and not also a general DK social thread like it has been over the last couple of years.
I notice that too. guess we better be more diligent to stay on topic from hereon. HAY THUR MOD HOWZ ABOUT THAT K. ROOL FELLOW? K. Rool K. Rool K. Rool.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
A part of me feels that we will only get the MM stage and MAYBE some customes, and that's it. But with Sakurai being Sakurai, you can never be sure...

Top Bottom