• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Ms. Pac-Man's origins lie with a third-party hack of the original Pac-Man. There were some convoluted legal issues with this, but I gather that the upshot of it is that while Namco ended up owning the rights to the game and character, the courts found that they must pay royalties to those who "created the concept of a Pac-Family". That's why Ms. Pac-Man doesn't appear very often, or have her game re-released very much, and it's why she isn't an alt in Smash.
Wow, I did not know that. Thanks for the insight!

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
As the last week of the Smash Ballot will go by, I think it's time for a musical countdown, featuring songs that have been sung by K. Rool in the show. I'll put up to two episodes per day, since K. Rool sings a lot of songs throughout the series.

For the first song, this one portrays the vast amount of paranoia that will ensue the remaining days of the Smash Ballot. As we are entering the final days, any character could be chosen. Regardless of the outcome, no one's making a monkey out of us.

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Ms. Pac-Man's origins lie with a third-party hack of the original Pac-Man. There were some convoluted legal issues with this, but I gather that the upshot of it is that while Namco ended up owning the rights to the game and character, the courts found that they must pay royalties to those who "created the concept of a Pac-Family". That's why Ms. Pac-Man doesn't appear very often, or have her game re-released very much, and it's why she isn't an alt in Smash.
Except she was in the original game's intermissions before she got bootleg knockoff, complete with her and Pac-Man starting the Pac-family right there in said first game. She's been in just about every non-maze Pac-Man game as his love-interest/wife for ages and it's only recently, with the advent of the "Ghostly Adventures" that she's started to drop off in appearance. She's ALWAYS been Namco's, and she's all over the Anniversary arcade collections right next to Pac-man.

Heck, she's even in Smash at the end of the Pac-Land stage! This royalty thing is a load of bunk, up there with claiming Rare owns the Kremlings.

Morbi

Scavenger
The rights thing has never been an issue. It's a widespread myth, to be sure, though.
It is sort of funny, as that myth, more likely than not, exists because King K. Rool is not already in Smash.

Croc fact of the day #5: the critically endangered Indian gharial (sometimes called the fish-eating crocodile) was named for the fleshy bulb on the male's snout, which is said to resemble an earthenware cooking pot, or "ghara." The lump's functionality is currently unknown. For those who have never seen one, I gotcha covered.

Male on the left, female on the right.
This reminds me, I just got back from Florida and I did not get to see any crocodiles. King K. Rool "deconfirmed." :troll:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Except she was in the original game's intermissions before she got bootleg knockoff, complete with her and Pac-Man starting the Pac-family right there in said first game. She's been in just about every non-maze Pac-Man game as his love-interest/wife for ages and it's only recently, with the advent of the "Ghostly Adventures" that she's started to drop off in appearance. She's ALWAYS been Namco's, and she's all over the Anniversary arcade collections right next to Pac-man.

Heck, she's even in Smash at the end of the Pac-Land stage! This royalty thing is a load of bunk, up there with claiming Rare owns the Kremlings.
As is very well documented, Ms. Pac-Man was derived from Crazy Otto, a hack of the original Pac-Man which was produced by General Computer Corporation, and purchased from them by Midway, who was Namco's US distributor in the early 1980s. Midway were impatient for Namco to produce a sequel to Pac-Man, hence why they jumped at Crazy Otto, and edited into "Ms. Pac-Man".

The rights to Ms. Pac-Man were turned over to Namco by Midway so as not to lose future licensing deals (though they did anyway), but it was later found that General Computer Corporation "created" the idea of a Pac-Family to merchandise out (compounded when Midway produced more unauthorised sequels - Baby Pac-Man and Jr. Pac-Man). Even when Ms. Pac-Man was originally in distribution by Midway, GCC were getting paid for it, and that continues when Namco re-releases the game today.

This is all very well-documented. Books-wise, The Ultimate History of Video Games by Steven Kent (EDIT: Here's a page from that book mentioning the issue of Pac-Family royalties after the Baby Pac-Man lawsuit), and Vintage Games - An Insider Look at the History of Grand Theft Auto, Super Mario, and the Most Influential Games of All Time by Bill Loguidice and Matt Barton, touch on this, and numerous online historical documentation efforts (this is one of them, an archive of an article from the time), and print magazines also have.

It's certainly not a bit like claiming Rare owns the Kremlings. ;)

Last edited:

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
This reminds me, I just got back from Florida and I did not get to see any crocodiles. King K. Rool "deconfirmed." :troll:
Fine, y'all are gonna squeeze another fact out of me. The reason you didn't see any crocodiles in Florida is because crocodiles are strictly tropical beasts; they can't handle water under 45 degrees Fahrenheit, which sets the northern limit of the American crocodile's range at the very bottom tip of Florida, whereas alligators have been seen poking holes in ice to be able to breathe. On top of that, they're much more timid than American alligators, making them more likely to slip into the water just before we approach, and their population (both in Florida and globally) is much smaller.

Was "Rare owns K rool" even a thing back in Brawl or did people come up with the idea out of the blue because they ran out of ideas to make him seem unlikely for Smash 4?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Was "Rare owns K rool" even a thing back in Brawl or did people come up with the idea out of the blue because they ran out of ideas to make him seem unlikely for Smash 4?
It wasn't because K. Rool wasn't nearly so highly requested then.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
User was warned for this post
Nevermind. This was R-rated.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'm pretty sure it was a thing before the Wii was ever released, alongside "Rare owns Diddy/Dixie/etc.", to dismiss the notion of any of the Rare-created DK characters ever returning.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Maybe. It's up to Nintendo/Sakurai to acknowledge Change. I honestly feel Nintendo might be a little sour on Change.org since that's where the ever infamous petition to remove Federation Force from existence was. I wonder how many sign ups it got...anyway, I think if Nintendo doesn't acknowledge that petition, I don't think they will acknowledge a K. Rool one.

To be honest I think the Ballot is the only way to really try and get through to them, as much as we'd all want to contribute something even more.

Welcome aboard, Kutthroat! This ship is due to either make port or sink in the harbor, but we're pleased none the less to have you part of the crew!

Edit: POKEMANSPIKA POKEMANSPIKA I'm catching up with you!
I'm always away from my computer whenever new users join goddammit.

NintenZ NintenZ you should probably remove the video even if you put it in spoilers.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If K. Rool's konfirmed, we need to have a proper K. Rool kommunity tournament.

No items, Gangplank Galleon, K. Rool only.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
What about a doubles Mii Brawler+K. Rool only tournament?
To be honest, that sounds more fun.

There'd be an element of intrigue where you don't know if you're going to fight a heavyweight trap-master or a combo-heavy fighter.

K. Rool or Mii Brawler (with mandatory K. Rool kostume), tourney stages, no items (except banana and barrel, if that takes your fancy), winner gets tagged with "Finest Hour".

Hell, Sakurai, make it happen!

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman

There'd be an element of intrigue where you don't know if you're going to fight a heavyweight trap-master or a combo-heavy fighter.

K. Rool or Mii Brawler (with mandatory K. Rool kostume), tourney stages, no items (except banana and barrel, if that takes your fancy), winner gets tagged with "Finest Hour".

I was actually thinking about a 2vs2 tournament with Mii Brawler+K. Rool as the obligatory team, but this honestly seems more fun, kek.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So I just want to say that I wasn't trying to go against the King, I was trying to find reasons as to why Sakurai would reject him despite his popularity. That is all.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH

That would be awesome! Would be especially cool since the fans that worked so hard to get K. Rool in Smash could learn how to play him together.
We'd create a legion of K. Rool mains. :p

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Ok, so off the recent source gaming translation article on some of Sakurai's logic behind character choices, one seems to be encapsulating the character in 2-3 word descriptions, like Heavy Weapons master, marital arts fighter, etc. What do you guys think could encapsulate K.Rool? My pick is:
Wild-Card Beserker
In that has a number of varying attack methods, but also tends to be get more intense as he fights. Also what if he had an aura effect that was say similar to Lucario, but rather damage increases his speed and attack rather than just attack

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
If K. Rool's konfirmed, we need to have a proper K. Rool kommunity tournament.

No items, Gangplank Galleon, K. Rool only.
What about a doubles Mii Brawler+K. Rool only tournament?
Even better, have a 4-person Smash where 3 people play as K. Rool, on the same team, all pounding the Mii Fighter around like a piñata. :troll:
It's a real shame that you can't bring Amiibos in online, or else I'd bring my Turbo Charge DK Skylander/Amiibo, DC (who wears his green alt with pride!), into one of these events. He is, after all, one of us. :p

EDIT:

Ok, so off the recent source gaming translation article on some of Sakurai's logic behind character choices, one seems to be encapsulating the character in 2-3 word descriptions, like Heavy Weapons master, marital arts fighter, etc. What do you guys think could encapsulate K.Rool? My pick is:
Wild-Card Beserker
In that has a number of varying attack methods, but also tends to be get more intense as he fights. Also what if he had an aura effect that was say similar to Lucario, but rather damage increases his speed and attack rather than just attack
I can't think of a two to three word description, but I just want to say that I really like that Aura-like idea. :smash:

Last edited:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Not really. We're just sitting here, waiting for the bomb to drop.
I have a feeling once the Smash ballot is taken down on October* 3rd, that bomb is SET to drop. OR when the mario maker stage is released. Sakurai could throw a curveball at us. Again.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I have a feeling once the Smash ballot is taken down on August 3rd, that bomb is SET to drop. OR when the mario maker stage is released. Sakurai could throw a curveball at us. Again.
I think you mean October 3rd, dear.

Otherwise we'd be due for some intense fallout~ ;3

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I have a feeling once the Smash ballot is taken down on August 3rd, that bomb is SET to drop. OR when the mario maker stage is released. Sakurai could throw a curveball at us. Again.
Oh no, someone left K. Rool's prototype time machine running again!

Alright, own up, who's responsible?

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Actually this night, I dreamed of Kaptain K. Rool winning the ballot. The other winner was... Diddy Kong!?

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
inb4 k. rool is the best kharacter in the roster

inb4 bkupa666 plays him and beats zero

I want to believe~

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So if my predictions are correct, we should be seeing an announcement within a couple days. Of we get a character, these will either be Wolf, or Shovel Knight (with the ladder being the most likely).

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So if my predictions are correct, we should be seeing an announcement within a couple days. These will either be Wolf, or Shovel Knight (with the ladder being the most likely).
Lol, I don't think we're getting Shovel Knight at all. Maybe at best as a Mii Fighter costume along with other Nindies, but I don't see us getting Shovel Knight, especially right now. IF we got him, he'd be announced AFTER the ballot. At least they can justifiably say "yeah, we knew K. Rool was popular, we started him early in the ballot because we already had ideas and we drew ideas from the ballot" or "we started him before the ballot but drew ideas from the ballot to make him better." Shovel Knight is ONLY a ballot concept. And frankly, barring Tamaki, what reason is there to suspect Shovel Knight is coming?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Lol, I don't think we're getting Shovel Knight at all. Maybe at best as a Mii Fighter costume along with other Nindies, but I don't see us getting Shovel Knight, especially right now. IF we got him, he'd be announced AFTER the ballot. At least they can justifiably say "yeah, we knew K. Rool was popular, we started him early in the ballot because we already had ideas and we drew ideas from the ballot" or "we started him before the ballot but drew ideas from the ballot to make him better." Shovel Knight is ONLY a ballot concept. And frankly, barring Tamaki, what reason is there to suspect Shovel Knight is coming?
Oops, I misworded my post. What I meant was, IF we get a character. We'll definitely be seeing a few costumes (*cough* Isaac *cough*) and another stage.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

inb4 k. rool is the best kharacter in the roster

inb4 bkupa666 plays him and beats zero

I want to believe~
BKupa666 BKupa666 for EVO 2016 as K.Rool.

He will rekt with disrespekt m8s with his King.

Beign serious for a moment though, i would like to see K.Rool as competitively viable character just to shut up the "Heavyweights suck " hate bandwagon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom