• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
I remember reading recently that the K. Rool costume is possibly a product of the team choosing K. Rool and starting to make him, but dropping him because of "some problem coming up." Which, I don't think it's a real possibility...there's nothing truly difficult about making K. Rool in comparison to other characters, and no way would they model him and map out a moveset, uncertain if he'd "work," only to find that midway through the project, he doesn't.

It's still something worth discussing, though, how easy it would be to actually program a K. Rool moveset. A few people have said "maybe they won't add him because he's too complex." I imagine, barring some convoluted mechanic, he'd be around the difficulty of Mega Man or Bowser Jr. in terms of having a bunch of projectiles, but nothing that requires a lot of drawn-out programming that could prove inhibiting.
I think that if K. Rool was cut mid-development, it would be because of low priority and not because of technical issues. Basically the same reasons why Mewtwo, Roy and Dr. Mario didn't make the cut back then in Brawl. Now, of course this theory goes on the premise that Gematsu leak is incomplete/wrong, and doesn't explain why there is leftover data of various things cut, such as the Dr. Mario stage and of the Rhythm Heaven emblem, but not of K. Rool. Although we know as a fact that Ice Climbers were cut mid-development and there is no leftover data of them afaik.

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman

Kalypso's a little rough but it doesn't matter. Focus will be on the foreground anyway.

She was a bit of a nightmare tbh. Don't know why. Maybe because her facial structure is unlike any other Kremling. It's more serpentine. Kass and Kip are almost like twins and share the common Kritter characteristics somewhat so Kass was a bit easier. I had to change Kalypso's banner because that bouffant afro of hers is to...intrusive to go with my original plan.

I knocked a few ideas around and came up with this.
(NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHING!) Krusha's going to hold the the other pole... and be visibly smitten with his partner.

I love me a good shipping now and then too! ;)

...I entertained the idea of including Cranky Kong lending his "support" somewhere to a confused on-looker's surprise and him quipping his good-for-nothing son has had it too good for long enough. (Which kinda fits with the canon, right? Wasn't he the one responsible for the DKLand series?)
Anyway... it would ruin it overall. A random sentence in the chaos. It's a "show don't tell" piece.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Think a new mod is looking over this thread because people now are getting warnings for stuff that was deemed acceptable before. Think they want discussion to be strictly K. Rool DLC-based, and not also a general DK social thread like it has been over the last couple of years.

Also people are expecting DLC on the 30th, but if it was coming with the Maker patch I figured it'd make more sense to drop the patch after the ballot end. It's only three days after. But then I suppose that'd be a lot more suss and kill a lot of the surprise factor.
I notice that too. guess we better be more diligent to stay on topic from hereon. HAY THUR MOD HOWZ ABOUT THAT K. ROOL FELLOW? K. Rool K. Rool K. Rool.
Must be one of those Miiverse Mods.

Anyway, hope to see K. Rool next week.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Any suggestions for a final week thread title?

Ideally K. Rool would defy the conventional thinking that has led us to get nothing but mid-to-low tier heavyweights so far...that, if a character is remotely strong or heavy, it has to be absolutely crippled in its range or speed or else it will be "OP." Remember when Bowser was "OP" at first just for having slightly better speed? Look at him now.

Fans are mostly awful at hypothetical heavyweight balance; unless a heavyweight is crippled by the same weaknesses as the existing ones, they're "insanely overpowered" (you see this a lot with Ridley too). Size is a massive weakness to begin with, so you have to be very careful adding anything else on top of that...when Sheik can already easily get inside and U-Tilt you to 40-50%, do you really need terrible range and speed to make the fight even more unfavorable? Sakurai falls into this trap too, albeit just with using the "they're so good in FFAs" rationale to defend their 1 vs. 1 suckage.

This is a long-winded way of saying, in a perfect world, K. Rool should be heavy and huge, with middling movement and attack speed, good range on a number of projectile attacks (modified as needed from canon to fit a Smash environment) and mediocre KO power in comparison to other heavies. He wouldn't be the best in the game, but he could at least put up a fight.

Last edited:

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
Croc fact of the day #I lost track: crocodiles have three forms of locomotion on land. First is the "low walk," where a croc just kind of drags its body across the ground. Next is the "high walk"; this is what most of us think about when we picture a croc walking, i.e., body raised entirely off the ground. Finally, we have the gallop, which only the smaller species are capable of pulling off. I'm dead serious.

Also, since big brother is apparantly watching us, WHAT IF THEY MADE THE RARE DESIGN INTO A COSTUME AND THE PAON DESIGN PLAYABLE? #NEWTHEORY

Tom the Scrublord

Smash Cadet

Kalypso's a little rough but it doesn't matter. Focus will be on the foreground anyway.

She was a bit of a nightmare tbh. Don't know why. Maybe because her facial structure is unlike any other Kremling. It's more serpentine. Kass and Kip are almost like twins and share the common Kritter characteristics somewhat so Kass was a bit easier. I had to change Kalypso's banner because that bouffant afro of hers is to...intrusive to go with my original plan.

(NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHING!) Krusha's going to hold the the other pole... and be visibly smitten with his partner.

...I entertained the idea of including Cranky Kong lending his "support" somewhere to a confused on-looker's surprise and him quipping his good-for-nothing son has had it too good for long enough. (Which kinda fits with the canon, right? Wasn't he the one responsible for the DKLand series?)
Anyway... it would ruin it overall. A random sentence in the chaos. It's a "show don't tell" piece.
Is Kalypso winking?

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Also, since big brother is apparantly watching us, WHAT IF THEY MADE THE RARE DESIGN INTO A COSTUME AND THE PAON DESIGN PLAYABLE? #NEWTHEORY
That's not a new theory, it was suggested pretty much right after the costume reveal.

And my response to it was
"Rare K. Rool as a costume, Paon K. Rool as playable" is the stupidest idea I've heard.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Croc fact of the day #I lost track: crocodiles have three forms of locomotion on land. First is the "low walk," where a croc just kind of drags its body across the ground. Next is the "high walk"; this is what most of us think about when we picture a croc walking, i.e., body raised entirely off the ground. Finally, we have the gallop, which only the smaller species are capable of pulling off. I'm dead serious.

Is it weird that I can't help but find that galloping Crocodile adorable?

InsaneHippo

Smash Cadet

wow, thats looking really amazing!

one thing though, assuming you meant kalypso's partner, that would be kludge, not krusha. if you meant klump's partner, though, then forget this. :p

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I do hope the thread title is changed to "THIS IS OUR FINEST HOUR!" if K. Rool is konfirmed.

I expect BKupa's got titles prepared either way.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I do hope the thread title is changed to "THIS IS OUR FINEST HOUR!" if K. Rool is konfirmed.
And that song's going to be getting posted all day, and it's going to be stuck in everyone's heads all day regardless of whether anyone listens to it or not. :laugh:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
It'd be cool if Nintendo called BKuppa666 to be a part of the next Nintendo Direct so he could announce K. Rool himself for Smash lol.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord

I expect BKupa's got titles prepared either way.
I saw it mostly as "OUR FINEST HOUR HAS ARRIVED!" personally. Unless it's specifically "THIS IS OUR FINEST HOUR" which comes from the cartoon?

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I saw it mostly as "OUR FINEST HOUR HAS ARRIVED!" personally. Unless it's specifically "THIS IS OUR FINEST HOUR" which comes from the cartoon?
The original quote is, "This is my finest hour!"

Just thought it'd be a cute play on that~ ;3

If K. Rool is confirmed, I think the title should just change to "K ROOL" followed by a bunch of inarticulate pounding on the keyboard, since I expect that to be how many will celebrate.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The celebrations will be immense if he's konfirmed.

We're mere days away from the end of the ballot, and history is quite possible about to be made thanks to the krew's ineffable effort...~

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Any suggestions for a final week thread title?

Ideally K. Rool would defy the conventional thinking that has led us to get nothing but mid-to-low tier heavyweights so far...that, if a character is remotely strong or heavy, it has to be absolutely crippled in its range or speed or else it will be "OP." Remember when Bowser was "OP" at first just for having slightly better speed? Look at him now.

Fans are mostly awful at hypothetical heavyweight balance; unless a heavyweight is crippled by the same weaknesses as the existing ones, they're "insanely overpowered" (you see this a lot with Ridley too). Size is a massive weakness to begin with, so you have to be very careful adding anything else on top of that...when Sheik can already easily get inside and U-Tilt you to 40-50%, do you really need terrible range and speed to make the fight even more unfavorable? Sakurai falls into this trap too, albeit just with using the "they're so good in FFAs" rationale to defend their 1 vs. 1 suckage.

This is a long-winded way of saying, in a perfect world, K. Rool should be heavy and huge, with middling movement and attack speed, good range on a number of projectile attacks (modified as needed from canon to fit a Smash environment) and mediocre KO power in comparison to other heavies. He wouldn't be the best in the game, but he could at least put up a fight.
Now or never? Awaiting our Finest Hour?

D

Deleted member

Today is Sunday, September 30th of 2015.....
We are so close to the end of the Ballot,(just 6 days away) looking back at our efforts, i wonder...
¿What happens if K.Rool doesn't made it in? ¿What are the haters going to do to us? ¿Was this even worth it?
I can feel that only bad things are going to happen right now, not just to K.Rool, but to many frontrunners. A few weeks ago i was just having flashbacks from the ESRB leak that happened back in August to September 2014.

I can only feel that one among our most wanted characters.....will shortly perish.

Despite what happens, i want to say thanks for accepting me as part of this community. When i first signed in, i though i was gonna get disliked and mocked like usual. Im not the most social person ever, even though most people say im quite gentle, which is something i don't believe in.

I didn't thought i was gonna get accepted this quickly. But i feel i haven't contributed to this community that much. I only joined SmashBoards to speculate until all DLC is revealed, but despite only joining this year a few months ago, it feels like i have been part of here since the beggining. I have been lurking these character speculation forums since 2013, but i never had enough courage to join in.

I feel like i failed to do something helpfull, as if i didn't help at all, even though i voted for him.

Hovewer, i still want to thank you for let me join your group. When Sm4sh speculation ends, i will dissapear until the next game comes out, but i will always remember these fond memories of disscusion. Thank you. and Sorry for sounding so dramatic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
No krocodile tears.

Only K. Rool.

I feel the opposite way. I reckon that, whatever our fate is, good things will happen. It's most definitely been worth it. And I have to say that you're one of my favourite people on this site, and I hope that, if K. Rool is konfirmed, you swing by the K. Rool board and say hi for old times' sake.

All will be well~ :3

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Remember our purpose is two fold.

Get K. Rool in Smash

and

Get K. Rool back into DKC

The latter is looking more and more likely.

So even if K. Rool doesn't get into Smash then we don't automatically fail. In fact we already succeeded, putting a forgotten character on everyone's minds and giving him exposure you couldn't possibly pay for.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Did that Eitika video mean anything or is it just Eitika being himself?

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
It's just Etika being Etika. Mostly him using 2 old polls to prove a point, or try to prove one anyway. Pay him no mind.
I figured as much. He just popped up in my Youtube feed with that video so I had to ask. Anyway, not much time left, this is getting exciting.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I figured as much. He just popped up in my Youtube feed with that video so I had to ask. Anyway, not much time left, this is getting exciting.
In a sad kind of way, I'm kind of waiting for K. Rool to be revealed, so that Etika can put up an obligatory "OMG K. ROOL!!! THANK YOU DADDY SAKURAI!!! HE'S THE ONE I ALWAYS WANTED!!!!!" kind of video.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
In a sad kind of way, I'm kind of waiting for K. Rool to be revealed, so that Etika can put up an obligatory "OMG K. ROOL!!! THANK YOU DADDY SAKURAI!!! HE'S THE ONE I ALWAYS WANTED!!!!!" kind of video.
And then proceed to watch him get called out and then he'll delete his anti-K Rool videos.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
In this moment I don't care what anyone else thinks. If K. Rool is revealed, then I can safely hang up my hat and just stick around for casual speculation if I stick around at all. If he's not, then I'm going to take my leave of the speculation scene altogether. I'm just hoping the former happens.

Right now, ANYTHING can happen.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
in your own thoughts, why do you feel some people don't like King K. Rool????

. I cannot understand why people hate him. Crocodiles have always been such awesome animals. Who wouldn't want to play as a giant crocodile! I''m starting to have less and less respect for the smash community nowadays. For years we have been asking for characters that would make smash unique and fun. Making it fill complete. Instead, people are voting for these characters that were never as popular back then. They are asking for characters that play similarly to other characters. They complain about clones, but they still want characters that play like other characters. Semi clone, tri clones. What ever happened to making this roster unique? Where is all the respect? I'm tired of people bashing in on other characters, its making them look like total ( sorry ) *****. This community has no respect for one another and is filled with immature brats. Not everyone is like that, i'm just talking about the ones that are like that.

I need some news right now. I just want king k rool to be announced already so people can stop spreading the hate on him. This whole costume thing isn't fair for k rool. He was doing so well. I hope he's DLC.. I say on the final voting day we all on this thread do something that'll get our voices out to the whole internet. After all, it would be the last day for the ballot, so we have to finish this strong!

Last edited:
in your own thoughts, why do you feel some people don't like King K. Rool????

. I cannot understand why people hate him. Crocodiles have always been such awesome animals. Who wouldn't want to play as a giant crocodile! I''m starting to have less and less respect for the smash community nowadays. For years we have been asking for characters that would make smash unique and fun. Making it fill complete. Instead, people are voting for these characters that were never as popular back then. They are asking for characters that play similarly to other characters. They complain about clones, but they still want characters that play like other characters. Semi clone, tri clones. What ever happened to making this roster unique? Where is all the respect? I'm tired of people bashing in on other characters, its making them look like total ( sorry ) *****. This community has no respect for one another and is filled with immature brats. Not everyone is like that, i'm just talking about the ones that are like that.

I need some news right now. I just want king k rool to be announced already so people can stop spreading the hate on him. This whole costume thing isn't fair for k rool. He was doing so well. I hope he's DLC.. I say on the final voting day we all on this thread do something that'll get our voices out to the whole internet. After all, it would be the last day for the ballot, so we have to finish this strong!
Some probably hate him just because he happens to be the most popular newcomer candidate.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Well, the Ballot ends this Saturday. If K. Rool gets Kongfirmed for Sm4sh or not... I'm optimistic he will. But when? I'm not so sure. He kould be one of this first Karacters to be revealed this fall, to start Post-Ballot DLC with bang and show how Sakurai wasn't kidding when he said DLC will be fan service (He would be a nice K. Ristmas present from Nintendo if you ask me :p!). But, they kould decide to save him as best for last and release him Circa E3 2016 when DLC will (probably) start to kome to an end, and end with a bang. Anything kan happen, but our Finest Hour will happen sooner or later. No one is going to make a Monkey out of us!

And even if the first couple Ballot karacters aren't K. Rool and are instead Wolf, Banjo & Kazooie or even Shovel Knight, to quote Earth Bound, just remember...
No K. Rying until the end ;)

Last edited:

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Well if K.Rool isn't (one of) the DLC character(s) it'll either:

a) prove that Sakurai doesn't care about fan opinions and/or the DK franchise.

or

2) show there was some serious, non-racial case of the Bradley effect

And frankly, I'd rather lose faith in one man than lose my already low faith value of the Smash fandom in general

Last edited:
Top Bottom