• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I get that every character that was made as a costume has fans, but for most of them they're very few. Right now, Chrom has only those few loyal fans that didn't jump off the Gematsu bandwagon when it crashed, and they're basically forced to hide, like Ridley's fans, since their character has become object of ridicule. I don't think I've ever seen someone actively supporting Flying Man. Even those who want another Mother character would rather have Ninten or Porky. If you think they can be compared to K. Rool, then you have no idea about how huge the support for him is.
Yeah, pretty much this, K. Rool and the Inklings are in a unique position among the Mii costumes. Trying to imply they must be consolation prizes when no other ones were nearly as requested as they were in the ballot is implying you know the exact reasons why Sakurai made them despite him never giving any reasons whatsover. In short, using your own opinions backed by little more than gut feelings as opposed to anything Sakurai stated is pure bias. Could K. Rool be a consolation prize? Sure? Is it for sure? No absolutely not, so people should stop treating their own opinions as facts.

If this counts at all, back before all the alts and palettes were revealed for Sm4sh, there were a lot of people who were hoping for a Protoman alt for Mega Man. Which reminds me of how disappointed I was when there was no Mrs. Pac Man alt for Pac Man. How they did not think to do that boggles my mind.
*shrugs* I suppose.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Are we really so desperate to "feel" that K. Rool doesn't have a good chance that we're going to say the Flying Men had a big fanbase voting for them on the ballot and therefore their costume was a consolation prize too? That's hilarious.

I could see it if it were Masked Man or Kumatora, who do have a little group of supporters on various YouTube comment sections, but the Flying Men? Really?

Anything to clear the path for our new Arle Nadja overlords, I guess.

Anyhow, nice analysis there True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior . Now it'd be interesting to see if any of those costumes had new models made for them that didn't reuse assets and textures from existing models. Seems to me now that all the other Nintendo ones recycle stuff from character models (even a scrapped one with the Flying Men) or trophies, or are third parties with models/trophies (and potentially some new stuff from Capcom/Namco, not sure).

K. Rool is in a unique situation among the costumes for sure. Him being in this situation doesn't rule out the possibility that he's the lone consolation prize that they killed off from the ballot early, but it sure makes it harder to fathom.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Are we really so desperate to "feel" that K. Rool doesn't have a good chance that we're going to say the Flying Men had a big fanbase voting for them on the ballot and therefore their costume was a consolation prize too? That's hilarious.

I could see it if it were Masked Man or Kumatora, who do have a little group of supporters on various YouTube comment sections, but the Flying Men? Really?

Anything to clear the path for our new Arle Nadja overlords, I guess.

Anyhow, nice analysis there True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior . Now it'd be interesting to see if any of those costumes had new models made for them that didn't reuse assets and textures from existing models. Seems to me now that all the other Nintendo ones recycle stuff from character models (even a scrapped one with the Flying Men) or trophies, or are third parties with models/trophies (and potentially some new stuff from Capcom/Namco, not sure).

K. Rool is in a unique situation among the costumes for sure. Him being in this situation doesn't rule out the possibility that he's the lone consolation prize that they killed off from the ballot early, but it sure makes it harder to fathom.
It was just an example, but I do think that I should've brought up Lloyd. Sorry. Are you by any chance referring to the Runbow rumor by any means?:p

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
People are more worried about how liked a character is than they are about liking the character.
I think that this is what makes a difference in terms of "true" support. It reminds me of something said by aldelaro5 aldelaro5 over in the Daisy thread not too long ago;

going tbh, it will eventually become more obvious whether you support by want or by chances and I learned the pretty hard way how you should never do the the later.

But assuming people do want the character and support because of that, then I would see why they start acting like it. Because essentially, what you're trying to do as supporter is to spread the idea of a character in ssb4, acting like it, just makes it really obvious.

usually, I notice that if people starts to do that, it;s because they legitimately want the character before supporting. The reason I learned the hard way to never support by chances is it;s just not true support, you;re jsut rooting for a likely idea to happen instead of actually wanting it.
I don't think it's a stretch to say that a successful character campaign hinges on actually caring about the characters concerned.

The only thing that worries me are his damn fans. One of them bragged about putting in 300 f***ing Shovel Knight votes in the comments.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. However much we as Smash fans don't want skewed results, Nintendo won't want skewed results on a much grander scale - after all, they have to invest actual resources, time, and money into this DLC, and they want it to sell. Rigged voting is doubtless a big concern for them.

If this counts at all, back before all the alts and palettes were revealed for Sm4sh, there were a lot of people who were hoping for a Protoman alt for Mega Man. Which reminds me of how disappointed I was when there was no Mrs. Pac Man alt for Pac Man. How they did not think to do that boggles my mind.
Ms. Pac-Man's origins lie with a third-party hack of the original Pac-Man. There were some convoluted legal issues with this, but I gather that the upshot of it is that while Namco ended up owning the rights to the game and character, the courts found that they must pay royalties to those who "created the concept of a Pac-Family". That's why Ms. Pac-Man doesn't appear very often, or have her game re-released very much, and it's why she isn't an alt in Smash.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well i just want to remind everyone

King kr ool is not necessary a lock for one or more of the ballot characters

Because the site said we will consider this character for dlc

So they could pick anybody.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
If K. Rool gets in this time, what will become of the Kutthroats?

Will you continue to engage in speculation and support your next most-wanted character?

Or will you walk away and rest kontent with a job well done?

I am going to keep supporting my favourite characters and helping others support theirs. It's what I did when my most-wanted character was revealed for the main game, it's what I will do if my most-wanted is revealed for DLC.
I'll remain here, supporting the krew...

And hopefully contribute something meaningful to the Kremling King's Meta game.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
BKupa666 BKupa666 Also before I did say why I chose a pick as obscure as the flying man. It was because of a video I saw.

Last edited:

oinkers12

Smash Apprentice
It kind of sucks that our fanbase has to deal with all of this. While nothing is deconfirmed, we have to deal with the aftermath of the Mii costume. We are a campaign that was built from the ground up (while lots of other contenders got celebrities or developers closely backing them). We are campaigning for a character that should have been in the franchise 14 years ago but we need to fight the hardest and overcome the most hurdles over any other ballot contender. However, we have done a great job overall and we should be proud of ourselves.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
It kind of sucks that our fanbase has to deal with all of this. While nothing is deconfirmed, we have to deal with the aftermath of the Mii costume. We are a campaign that was built from the ground up (while lots of other contenders got celebrities or developers closely backing them). We are campaigning for a character that should have been in the franchise 14 years ago but we need to fight the hardest and overcome the most hurdles over any other ballot contender. However, we have done a great job overall and we should be proud of ourselves.
Even if K. Rool doesn't make it into Smash, I would imagine that it's very likely now that he will return to the DK series, where he rightfully belongs.

If that happens, that would mark the first time that fan-demand has overturned the alleged Miyamoto-bias that affects some characters introduced into his series by others, as far as I know.

Last edited:

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
Just about to give King K. Rool another vote before giving one vote to Wolf. (These will be the only characters I'll vote for, seeing as votes won't matter anyway.)

King K. Rool is the main antagonist of the Donkey Kong series, a franchise that is under-represented in Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U. His move-set can utilize his attack strategies from the Donkey Kong Country games, such as using the iconic Crown-Toss from the first game, and the blunderbuss from the second game. In addition, he can also have costumes based on his appearances from the DKC games, such as Kaptain K. Rool alias from the second game. As much as I appreciate the costume for the Mii Fighter class, King K. Rool as a playable fighter would expand variety in game-play of Smash Bros.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Even if K. Rool doesn't make it into Smash, I would imagine that it's very likely now that he will return to the DK series, where he rightfully belongs.

If that happens, that would mark the first time that fan-demand has overturned the alleged Miyamoto-bias that affects some characters introduced into his series by others, as far as I know.
Yes, now that Nintendo owns the full rights to the character, I can definitely see it happening, even if he's not in Smash, I still think that there's a great chance that he'll make his triumphant return with his Kremling army. Also, I'm trying to think of something to help your campaign, it may take a bit, but the wait will be worth it.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Yes, now that Nintendo owns the full rights to the character, I can definitely see it happening, even if he's not in Smash, I still think that there's a great chance that he'll make his triumphant return with his Kremling army. Also, I'm trying to think of something to help your campaign, it may take a bit, but the wait will be worth it.
The rights thing has never been an issue. It's a widespread myth, to be sure, though.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo always owned the full rights of King K. Rool and every other character of the Donkey Kong franchise. In fact, he made an appearence not long after the Rare buyout, in DK: King of Swing.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The rights thing has never been an issue. It's a widespread myth, to be sure, though.
Oh, I guess I was informed wrong, I thought I heard something about Nintendo having copyright issues involving the character due to conflicts with Rare, which was bought out by Microsoft in September of 2002, apparently trouble with his company resulted in him only appearing in brief roles and cameos. I guess that was wrong though. Oh and by the way I think I may have found something that may be the slightest bit of help, but it's something, anyone thought of a Change.org petition?

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Nintendo's always owned K. Rool. Any character made in the DK universe by Rare was always theirs.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Nintendo always owned the full rights of King K. Rool and every other character of the Donkey Kong franchise. In fact, he made an appearence not long after the Rare buyout, in DK: King of Swing.
Oh yes, or as some have called it, "the anime looking one". That art style doesn't really fit the series imo.

Last edited:

jranks

Smash Cadet
King K. Rool deserves to be in Smash, even though people will argue that that doesn't matter, but I think it's true. He has been around since 1994 and he is the main villain to Mario's original villain. Bowser was introduced when the Mario series was rebooted and so was King K. Rool, when Donkey Kong was re-introduced into the World. #KrocTheVote.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
I guess that the not so memorable appearences of PAON K. Rool are what convinced Nintendo to try something new for Donkey Kong. I should try to play one of the handheld PAON game, so I can judge them better. I played Jungle Beat though, decently solid game, but it doesn't quite feel like a DKC game. It didn't have K. Rool anyway, so I haven't get to personally see how PAON handled his character.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
As others are saying, any DK character made by Rare is owned by Nintendo. The only exceptions are Conker, Banjo, Tiptup (who all first appeared in Diddy Kong Racing) or any character that originated in a DK game that later appeared in a separate ip (Except for maybe Gnawty, who was in both in DK and BK). The K. Rool being owned by MS rumor is still alive pretty much only because he has only appeared in Spin Offs after the buyout (mostly because after Rare buyout there was no main DK game until 2010, and Retro innitially wanted more created freedom), and that detractors use this myth as amo to try and "deconfirm" King K Rool in Smash (although, most detractors have moved on and are now using the mii outfit as deconfirmation amo)
King K. Rool deserves to be in Smash, even though people will argue that that doesn't matter, but I think it's true. He has been around since 1994 and he is the main villain to Mario's original villain. Bowser was introduced when the Mario series was rebooted and so was King K. Rool, when Donkey Kong was re-introduced into the World. #KrocTheVote.
Well put, friend. We're not gonna stop Krockin the vote until K. Rool gets Kongfirmed!

As others are saying, any DK character made by Rare is owned by Nintendo. The only exceptions are Conker, Banjo, Tiptup (who all first appeared in Diddy Kong Racing) or any character that originated in a DK game that later appeared in a separate ip (Except for maybe Gnawty, who was in both in DK and BK). The K. Rool being owned by MS rumor is still alive pretty much only because he has only appeared in Spin Offs after the buyout (mostly because after Rare buyout there was no main DK game until 2010, and Retro innitially wanted more created freedom), and that detractors use this myth as amo to try and "deconfirm" King K Rool in Smash (although, most detractors have moved on and are now using the mii outfit as deconfirmation amo)

Well put, friend. We're not gonna stop Krockin the vote until K. Rool gets Kongfirmed!
It's strange that Tiptup was playable in DKRDS despite being apparently owned by MS.

jranks

Smash Cadet

I think King K. Rool is long overdue at this point, he's a Nintendo All-Star. As a huge Donkey Kong fan, King K. Rool holds a place dear to my heart.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
Who else is waiting for Etika's fake reaction if K. Rool is revealed?
I already know how it will play out:
EWN: "WHO IS IT, OH MA GAWD THE HYPE (comment section filled with lenny faces and 'my d***' jokes)"
Sees K. Rool:
EWN: "K. ROOL!!!! YEEEEAAAHHHHHHH!!!! OH MY GOD! DADDY SAKURAI! THE BEST BALLOT CHOICE EVER!!! HE WAS TEH ONE I WANTED!!!"

Something like that I suppose.

@bellboy64 Nice Signature :).

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I think that this is what makes a difference in terms of "true" support. It reminds me of something said by aldelaro5 aldelaro5 over in the Daisy thread not too long ago;

I don't think it's a stretch to say that a successful character campaign hinges on actually caring about the characters concerned.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. However much we as Smash fans don't want skewed results, Nintendo won't want skewed results on a much grander scale - after all, they have to invest actual resources, time, and money into this DLC, and they want it to sell. Rigged voting is doubtless a big concern for them.

Ms. Pac-Man's origins lie with a third-party hack of the original Pac-Man. There were some convoluted legal issues with this, but I gather that the upshot of it is that while Namco ended up owning the rights to the game and character, the courts found that they must pay royalties to those who "created the concept of a Pac-Family". That's why Ms. Pac-Man doesn't appear very often, or have her game re-released very much, and it's why she isn't an alt in Smash.
it is not a stretch.

Like, I can tell you that I personally lived it several time. I would never consider myself to work so much on paper mario if I wasn;t obsessed on his series in the first place. There were a lot of characters who was popular, but had imo the most amount of "not true" support where you root for him only because he's popyular and likely. The opposite is also true, I noticed the more unpopular choices (and paper mario is a good example here) are more proportially "true" support and therer's almost no "not true" support.

The reaoson I started lately to care is you gotta ask the question which sides would matter more for Sakurai? Does Sakurai care about people actually wanting the character or he would care abotu what character has more support? Because I can tell you, both side sre drastically different. Again, Paper Mario is the best example for me because tbh, he doesn;t have that much support (I do like 75% of it in this entire forum), but he is very wanted, it's just silent, you have to dig it on googel to find that,. but you likely won;t see soemthing klike kkr where pretty much almost everyone would publically say it.

At this point, I realised that "being msot likely", doesn;t matter anymore, I think what would matter too is how your character is popular in general. I have a feel Sakurai will care more abotu want than support, but that question is wide open for interpretation :)

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
People always forget the Donkey Konga minigame where you smash K.Rool on the head with a metal barrel

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So I'be been thinking that we could do a change.org petition, it would help make Nintendo even more aware of his popularity and maybe even have him in consideration for Smash if enough people sign it. Any thoughts?

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
So I'be been thinking that we could do a change.org petition, it would help make Nintendo even more aware of his popularity and maybe even have him in consideration for Smash if enough people sign it. Any thoughts?
Maybe. It's up to Nintendo/Sakurai to acknowledge Change. I honestly feel Nintendo might be a little sour on Change.org since that's where the ever infamous petition to remove Federation Force from existence was. I wonder how many sign ups it got...anyway, I think if Nintendo doesn't acknowledge that petition, I don't think they will acknowledge a K. Rool one.

To be honest I think the Ballot is the only way to really try and get through to them, as much as we'd all want to contribute something even more.

I support king k rool!

Welcome aboard, Kutthroat! This ship is due to either make port or sink in the harbor, but we're pleased none the less to have you part of the crew!

Edit: POKEMANSPIKA POKEMANSPIKA I'm catching up with you!

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Maybe. It's up to Nintendo/Sakurai to acknowledge Change. I honestly feel Nintendo might be a little sour on Change.org since that's where the ever infamous petition to remove Federation Force from existence was. I wonder how many sign ups it got...anyway, I think if Nintendo doesn't acknowledge that petition, I don't think they will acknowledge a K. Rool one.

To be honest I think the Ballot is the only way to really try and get through to them, as much as we'd all want to contribute something even more.

Welcome aboard, Kutthroat! This ship is due to either make port or sink in the harbor, but we're pleased none the less to have you part of the crew!
Welp, I'm out of ideas.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Welp, I'm out of ideas.
Thank you for trying to contribute a bit more. We all appreciate the extra support. We'll see what the other Kutthroats feel about the Change petition idea. I guess it can't hurt to give K. Rool a bit more exposure but it might just feel like going "too far" with it in the eyes of other fanbases, and we don't need any more bad publicity. Plus, we have merely a week left in the ballot.

And since you're looking for ways to help out K. Rool and increase his influence, well...

Not sure if you've already received this video or not.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Thank you for trying to contribute a bit more. We all appreciate the extra support. We'll see what the other Kutthroats feel about the Change petition idea. I guess it can't hurt to give K. Rool a bit more exposure but it might just feel like going "too far" with it in the eyes of other fanbases, and we don't need any more bad publicity. Plus, we have merely a week left in the ballot.

And since you're looking for ways to help out K. Rool and increase his influence, well...

Not sure if you've already received this video or not.
I have, but it's okay, I just see you all really want the character, so why not help I thought! :)

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
It would be kool seeing a petition with hundreds (or thousands) of signatures showing the massive support of K. Rool (which apparently doesn't exist according to Etika :p). But Nintendo (especially NoA) have been very slow if they even consider reacting to petitions. Iirc, Reggie or some other NoA rep said "60,000 signatures does not equal 60,000 sales"(Refering to Operation Rainfall, iirc). And while they sometimes listen to petitions (Oper. RF, N3DS) they do so in an odd way (Xenoblade being Game Stop only, New 3DS only in bundles with face plates only sold on the online Nintendo store). A petition may catch their eyes, especially if it has a lot of signatures, but for now I think the Ballot is our best way to show Nintendo our support. (But im pretty sure all of us here would still sign a K. Rool petition! :) )

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
Croc fact of the day #5: the critically endangered Indian gharial (sometimes called the fish-eating crocodile) was named for the fleshy bulb on the male's snout, which is said to resemble an earthenware cooking pot, or "ghara." The lump's functionality is currently unknown. For those who have never seen one, I gotcha covered.

Male on the left, female on the right.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Croc fact of the day #5: the critically endangered Indian gharial (sometimes called the fish-eating crocodile) was named for the fleshy bulb on the male's snout, which is said to resemble an earthenware cooking pot, or "ghara." The lump's functionality is currently unknown. For those who have never seen one, I gotcha covered.

Keep these coming. I love these, these croc facts of the day.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman

A gharial Kremling would be pretty cool.

Sidboylol

Smash Cadet
7 days to go and I'm ready. Instead of the Final Countdown music, I decided to use this music.

Top Bottom