• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I was just watching the Smash Run portion of the Treehouse stream, and during the gameplay, one of the hosts pointed out that "he loved seeing the Kremlings back," to which the other guy responded that "he loves those guys." I don't know what sort of positions they hold within Nintendo, but it's good to see we're not alone in being loyal Kutthroats in any case.

Also, in looking at the Green Kritters in action, it seemed as though they were performing spastic headbutts, kind of like the Kritter mechanics in DK64 did on the Blast-o-Matic to start it up. I don't know if that's what the team was going for, but if so, wow, that's a really awesome subtle reference.

Last edited:

pandajedi

Smash Cadet
I'd like there to be a "villains" trailer along the lines of the Pokemon one they had. It's a shady backdoors meeting room, Bowser laughs as the camera pans over to Dedede as Meta Knight glides up, continues panning to reveal Wario, and finally lands on Ganondorf. Cue footage of Ganondorf, Wario, and Meta Knight gameplay, with tweaks to their moves. Finally, cut back to the evil meeting room, and have a cannonball smash the table. K. Rool slams down, and "K. Rool does a cannonball!" appears. The ensuing gameplay footage would show off his moves as well as the Gangplank Galleon stage.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I was just watching the Smash Run portion of the Treehouse stream, and during the gameplay, one of the hosts pointed out that "he loved seeing the Kremlings back," to which the other guy responded that "he loves those guys." I don't know what sort of position hold within Nintendo, but it's good to see we're not alone in being loyal Kutthroats in any case.
If only those guys worked at Retro...
Also, in looking at the Green Kritters in action, it seemed as though they were performing spastic headbutts, kind of like the Kritter mechanics in DK64 did on the Blast-o-Matic to start it up. I don't know if that's what the team was going for, but if so, wow, that's a really awesome subtle reference.
I guess I should've watched the Smash Run coverage after all. It just got kind of repetitive after it was shown at the Digital Event and the Invitational.

Any sign of other crocodilian foes?

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
If only those guys worked at Retro...I guess I should've watched the Smash Run coverage after all. It just got kind of repetitive after it was shown at the Digital Event and the Invitational.

Well, there's still a klaptrap on the jungle japes past stage from melee.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If only those guys worked at Retro...I guess I should've watched the Smash Run coverage after all. It just got kind of repetitive after it was shown at the Digital Event and the Invitational.

Not in Smash Run, but the four different types of Kritters play VERY differently. Its awesome how much love was put into their animations. (Now if only they can do it for K. Rool as well.)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Fine, I will accept your argument for the Namco props. Even if I still dislike it that improves it somewhat. However; you did not even attempt to defend the accusation of him summoning his mortal enemies, the ghosts.

No, I am not stupid enough to think that K. Rool's moveset being like that is an actual risk. I am saying that summoning the ghosts is as bad as if K. Rool summoned the Kongs. There is plenty arbitrary nostalgia throughout the set with the props without the need for that. This is also the Classic Pac Man, not the new Pac Man where the ghost characterization is corrupted and they're turned into his friends.
Before moving on from the Pac-Man thing, I can see why they gave him all the retro props, since without them, he's basically left with generic butt-bouncing and chomping, but it's absolutely out of character for him to summon his enemy ghosts in particular. It would be like Mario showing up as a guest in some third party fighter as a "Nintendo Rep" and pulling out Goombas and Koopas to fight loyally at his side.

As far as a K. Rool trailer goes, check out that split second clip of DK running through the jungle in the very first trailer. That's the style I think we'd see in a K. Rool trailer.
Well, keep in mind that the Ghosts are actually his allies a surprising number of games. Most notably Pac-Man World 3 and Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures. So, it's not completely out there even if it is a bit unusual.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Not in Smash Run, but the four different types of Kritters play VERY differently. Its awesome how much love was put into their animations. (Now if only they can do it for K. Rool as well.)
Wait, four? I was only aware of the green and blue variations. What other types are there and what do they do?

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Was going to point out that K. Rool fighting his own minions would be strange, but then again Dedede vs the Waddle Dees happens, same with Bowser vs Goombas, Koopas, Bullet Bills, Banzai bills... they actually have a lot of Mario enemies in there don't they?

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Was going to point out that K. Rool fighting his own minions would be strange, but then again Dedede vs the Waddle Dees happens, same with Bowser vs Goombas, Koopas, Bullet Bills, Banzai bills... they actually have a lot of Mario enemies in there don't they?
Yeah, dude, K. Rool frequently abuses his own minions.

Missed a lot. Did anything good happen?
Nope. Nothing really. Doubt that'll change. There's a developer Q&A coming, along with a 3DS game reveal, so maybe there?

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
So I was at Smash Fest, and in the line right before the main demo there was a lady with 3DS with Smash Run. I had my turn with it and guess what I came across?

Kremlings. Kremlings everywhere. I could just see K. Rool there, jumping around under my control.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
This...@WingedSnagret, are there more color varieties? Namco used blue, green, red and brown varieties in Sluggers, after all.
I saw green and blue (Krushas? Forget what the blue ones are called). They both hit hard, and twirl all over the place. I think they also punched and maybe chomped at times, but my memory is foggy so I'm not sure.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I saw green and blue (Krushas? Forget what the blue ones are called). They both hit hard, and twirl all over the place. I think they also punched and maybe chomped at times, but my memory is foggy so I'm not sure.
The green and blue ones we've seen have been Kritters, which make sense since they're the most iconic types.

This is a Krusha, which, according to urban legend, Nintendo cannot use anymore, since allegedly, a rapper named Krusha trademarked the name before Nintendo could. This is why you see Kludge appearing in Barrel Blast instead, as well as Kruncha and Krumple mentioned in Kludge's Brawl trophy, but not Krusha.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
You get to joke around because your dream character is already in. Meanwhile, ours and that of most everyone else is damaged severely by the 95% leak confirmation.

Please continue snarking about how I am imposing my opinion on others as if you're not doing the same thing.
I was joking on people dissing Pac-Man waaaaaay before he was confirmed. And I said speak for yourself because Pac-Man does indeed make up for the rest of the roster in some peoples' opinions. Including mine. I wasn't implying anything else.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
The green and blue ones we've seen have been Kritters, which make sense since they're the most iconic types.

This is a Krusha, which, according to urban legend, Nintendo cannot use anymore, since allegedly, a rapper named Krusha trademarked the name before Nintendo could. This is why you see Kludge appearing in Barrel Blast instead, as well as Kruncha and Krumple mentioned in Kludge's Brawl trophy, but not Krusha.
Oh, okay. In any case I was having too much trouble with the controls to pay enough attention since the button configuration was really odd. But I asked the lady and she did say that you can reconfigure them, so there's that.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I played the demo today, and seeing Kritters got me all happy. Blue ones have a nasty spin attack, and tend to get multiple hits with their basic punches, kicks, and bites.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Kritters bite to attack, surely K.Rool would do this to!

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
How'd the game feel to you? I've heard complaints that it felt kinda meh.
Game felt awesome! Gameplay is great, both versions are gorgeous, and what I heard of the music is top-notch. Only complaint is with the control on the 3DS version. It's X to jump, which is hard to get used to if you're used to pressing A.

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Game felt awesome! Gameplay is great, both versions are gorgeous, and what I heard of the music is top-notch. Only complaint is with the control on the 3DS version. It's X to jump, which is hard to get used to if you're used to pressing A.
I'd imagine the released game would let you rebind controls; didn't Brawl allow that?

Also, congrats on getting to play and good to hear that it was awesome!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Good. I'm hoping I feel the same way.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Yeah, that's what got me. But I was told reconfiguration is possible so no worries there.

Groose

Smash Champion

Krusha was a pretty prominent character in the cartoon, and that just saw a rerelease. What kind of issues were involved with that?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The newcomers in this game are lame...
We'll get Dark Pit next and you'll learn to love it, you'll see!

Krusha was a pretty prominent character in the cartoon, and that just saw a rerelease. What kind of issues were involved with that?
I'm rather curious about that as well, honestly. *pays a respectful moment of silence for Krusha while I'm at it*

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So the people in the Gematsu leak topic think that the characters we already know is the final set of newcomers. I just couldn't possibly understand Sakurai's logic of adding a Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem character due to sales when DKC Returns sold over 5 times the amount of both games, and more than double the two games combined. (Granted, it came out two years earlier, but...)

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
So the people in the Gematsu leak topic think that the characters we already know is the final set of newcomers. I just couldn't possibly understand Sakurai's logic of adding a Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem character due to sales when DKC Returns sold over 5 times the amount of both games, and more than double the two games combined. (Granted, it came out two years earlier, but...)
It may seem meek but you do have to remember one thing about the leak. It really only had one character in it that made it believable which was WFT. At this point I have a feeling its real, but really besides that, all the predicted characters in reality were pretty obvious choices.

Yes I know, not everyone is happy with all the newcomers. But you have to be able to suck it up and say to yourself, "Ya I didn't like the idea of this character getting in, but really was a pretty obvious choice." I didn't want Mii's in but I understand why they got in. I wasn't sure how Pac Man would fair because he isint on the same level of popularity as the other 3 mascots, but really all the stars were aligned in his favor.

I am not saying the leak doesn't hold weight, because until they announce another character he didn't predict, he has been right so far, just remember that the only reason it ever did hold weight was because of the WFT prediction. Every other character so far has a legitimate reason for being there. Lets just hope the Top Kroc finds his way in.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's one interpretation of the phrase "characters participating." That, and people are starting to tinker with the demo select screen and have found out that, without changing the boxes' dimensions, the screen fits 48 slots (47 characters plus random), which we already have. It's not guaranteed that these spell doom for any other newcomers yet, but they're still hellishly troubling.

Good point, yeah, and he's in Donkey Kong Land as well (which is being released on the U.S. Virtual Console now!). If such a controversy even existed in the first place, maybe it only applies to new releases? I really don't know, but his lack of mention on Kludge's Brawl trophy despite his DKC2 and DKC3 expies getting name-dropped is certainly a head-scratcher.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
It's one interpretation of the phrase "characters participating." That, and people are starting to tinker with the demo select screen and have found out that, without changing the boxes' dimensions, the screen fits 48 slots (47 characters plus random), which we already have. It's not guaranteed that these spell doom for any other newcomers yet, but they're still hellishly troubling.
That presents an interesting problem, because if post-launch character DLC really IS a thing and not just hot air, where are the newcomer icons going to be? They going to shrink the icons to fit the extras?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It may seem meek but you do have to remember one thing about the leak. It really only had one character in it that made it believable which was WFT. At this point I have a feeling its real, but really besides that, all the predicted characters in reality were pretty obvious choices.

Yes I know, not everyone is happy with all the newcomers. But you have to be able to suck it up and say to yourself, "Ya I didn't like the idea of this character getting in, but really was a pretty obvious choice." I didn't want Mii's in but I understand why they got in. I wasn't sure how Pac Man would fair because he isint on the same level of popularity as the other 3 mascots, but really all the stars were aligned in his favor.

I am not saying the leak doesn't hold weight, because until they announce another character he didn't predict, he has been right so far, just remember that the only reason it ever did hold weight was because of the WFT prediction. Every other character so far has a legitimate reason for being there. Lets just hope the Top Kroc finds his way in.
Believe me, the leak is legit. The leaker came out again and said "Mii Fighter" and "Goddess Palutena" specifically, and both appeared with those exact name. Plus we've seen Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run.

EDIT: Come to think of it, from a marketing perspective, it might actually be better for K. Rool and Ridley to be DLC characters as annoying as that is. Both of them are among the most popular requests and DKC Returns at least sold far, far better than the latest Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus games.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's quite simple: Uprising's characters are his babies and he's a massive Fire Emblem fan. As far as we know, he has no such affinity for Donkey Kong.

Top Bottom