• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I'm honestly gonna keep my expectations low for expecting K.Rool.

Everyone on this forum expects that "their" character is going to be the ones revealed or something.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Everyone on this forum expects that "their" character is going to be the ones revealed or something.
This is very true.

I feel K.Rool has a good chance, but I'll simply refrain from really expecting him to appear tomorrow.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Approximately 24 hrs left! I'm not sure what I'm expecting for the presentation, to be honest. The existence of newcomer trailers makes me wonder how secret newcomers will be handled. Will there even be secret newcomers? I'm wondering because K. Rool certainly seems like the type of character to be kept under wraps until release. In any case, I'm hopeful for good news tomorrow.

To celebrate K. Rool and get the hype going, I wanted to share some great posts from artists I've found all over Miiverse:

Kuroi:

Uma

The Trav

Phil

Michael

Ace

Me

Romance D

Caleb

リック

Koopaul

I'll stop there because this post is getting way too long! There's a lot of love out there for the King. Hope Sakurai can show him some love, too (E3 or not).

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
At this point, I'm not going to do anything big like change the thread title to a stupid E3-related pun...

Basically, the hopes and dreams for tomorrow should be that K. Rool does not get disconfirmed over anything else. There's nothing riding on tomorrow for him other than that.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
just noticed your thread title. hue.

gl at E3 guys. I know I don't really come 'round here but if DK gets a new rep (which it should) it needs to be this guy.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

It's been that way prior to any E3/direct since.. forever. I refuse to get my hopes up for anyone though.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
At this point, I'm not going to do anything big like change the thread title to a stupid E3-related pun...

Basically, the hopes and dreams for tomorrow should be that K. Rool does not get disconfirmed over anything else. There's nothing riding on tomorrow for him other than that.
But I love stupid puns...

...hence my change in the Chrom Thread title. :p

And that box art is gorgeous. Best ever. 5/10 - IGN

D

Deleted member

Love this picture. Probably how he feels about receiving the invitation; a chance for revenge after six years of absence.

This. I very much doubt King K. Rool's chances of showing up as a playable character at E3, so the best we can settle for is that if a series of bosses are shown, he is not part of it. He'll be in a better shape if he survives that.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think "hope" is more appropriate.

I'm not going to make any predictions, as Sakurai likes to surprise us all the time.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
The ultimate outcome would be to see the king as a playable character of course, but all I realistically want tomorrow is to not see King K. Rool as a boss / Trophy or Assist Trophy. If we don't get an answer (but perhaps another hint), then that just leaves the doors open until release, as nothing gets confirmed or denied that way.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
This version of Gangplank Galleon of K. Rool's theme made me think of another possible gimmick K. Rool could have

King K. Reaper anyone? It was a quick doodle based on the thought so don't get too critical lol.

Attachments

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I posted something similar in the Ridley thread earlier, but I'm going to post it here too. I'd honestly rather have no K. Rool than Boss K. Rool. I was of the opposite opinion awhile ago, but now that I think about it, reducing him to cannonfodder while leaving DK and Diddy as the only DKC characters is an insult.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Funny thing. I read on the Donkey Kong wiki that there's a theory going on Tiki Tong is actually K. Rool.

http://donkeykong.wikia.com/wiki/Tiki_Tong (under Trivia at the bottom)

I then came up with this crazy and elaborate theory that perhaps the destruction of the Kremling Island and its power source killed the life source of the Kremlings, and Bananas are some sort of life source as well which allows DK Island to thrive. So K. Rool continued his goals to try and take the DK banana hoard (even though he hates bananas) so he could gain that life source, but failed. Using the few bananas he had left before all their life source was drained, they constructed new forms then attacked DK Island to try and rejuvinate their life force. When that failed, they brainwashed the Snomads to once again try to steal bananas in order to restore life to the Kremling race.

Although the Snomads were defeated, they had still collected enough energy to rejuvinate the Kremling race, and just need one final push, which will culminate in a third game where the Kremlings come back.

Stupid theory, I know, but it was just something that came up when I read that little bit about Tiki Tong. Don't heed it any mind. :p I love a good story and a good plot twist, though the Donkey Kong games have never been big on this, so I really doubt this kind of thing would come up....

But that said, after doing some research I did figure out that it appears Gloomy Galleon is the sunken remains of Gangplank Galleon, naturally dragged along in the rebuilt Kremling Island. And there's several other references to past games I've noticed as well.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
But that said, after doing some research I did figure out that it appears Gloomy Galleon is the sunken remains of Gangplank Galleon, naturally dragged along in the rebuilt Kremling Island. And there's several other references to past games I've noticed as well.
Same here, hey that reminds me, that could be a good final boss stage for Reaper K. Rool/King K. Reaper as I just posted, give it a Davy Jones kind of feel and have K. Rool swinging his Scythe at you or whatever, that'd be creepy and epic.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
This is my absolute favorite. It just fits him so well.

See, the artists of Miiverse would never forget the King, and the fans never will either!

Yeah, I'm on the "let's hope he's not disconfirmed tomorrow" train, especially if there's a playable DKC stage. I'd totally **** a ****ing brick (more than for any other possible ever newcomer...except maybe Banjo. :( ), but I'm gonna just...hope the ship is still sailing after tomorrow.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I posted something similar in the Ridley thread earlier, but I'm going to post it here too. I'd honestly rather have no K. Rool than Boss K. Rool. I was of the opposite opinion awhile ago, but now that I think about it, reducing him to cannonfodder while leaving DK and Diddy as the only DKC characters is an insult.
Honestly, I'd like K. Rool to be a boss if he's not playable because it means Nintendo still remembers him. That said I think that this whole setup is for more "simplistic" bosses, so frankly, I think it makes sense for K. Rool to be playable with Tiki Tong as the boss instead.

Likewise, Ridley doesn't fit for being a "simple" boss. Kraid would be better for that; less movements but still decent attacks and the like.

We'll have to see how things go, though.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Honestly, I'd like K. Rool to be a boss if he's not playable because it means Nintendo still remembers him. That said I think that this whole setup is for more "simplistic" bosses, so frankly, I think it makes sense for K. Rool to be playable with Tiki Tong as the boss instead.

Likewise, Ridley doesn't fit for being a "simple" boss. Kraid would be better for that; less movements but still decent attacks and the like.

We'll have to see how things go, though.
What bothers me is that Ridley is likely going to be a boss. If K. Rool ends up as one too, that means that two of the most popular characters were unceremoniously tossed aside, and made into glorified punching bags.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Yeah if K.Rool is not playable, I'd rather have him as a boss. That way, Retro has no reason to ignore him this time.

Of course, the downside would be Retro being too unimaginative for their final bosses and DKC6 K.Rool is the exact same as Smash Boss K.Rool. :troll:

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If you're gonna hope K. Rool has any major nonplayable role if he's disconfirmed, hope for an AT, not a boss. Depending on what happens with Ridley, a boss appearance might be the final nail in the coffin for his chances to ever get into a Smash game, while we know that's definitely not the case with an AT role.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If you're gonna hope K. Rool has any major nonplayable role if he's disconfirmed, hope for an AT, not a boss. Depending on what happens with Ridley, a boss appearance might be the final nail in the coffin for his chances to ever get into a Smash game, while we know that's definitely not the case with an AT role.
In all honesty I think Ridley is playable, but we'll see. I wouldn't mind a K. Rool AT, I just think he'd fit better as a boss. (But even better if he's playable, naturally.)

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
What bothers me is that Ridley is likely going to be a boss. If K. Rool ends up as one too, that means that two of the most popular characters were unceremoniously tossed aside, and made into glorified punching bags.
I agree.

I'm on the fence about boss status, because it implies characters may never get character status. If Ridley is a boss character, and boss characters end up being a staple from now on, will we ever see Ridley as being playable, or will he just always be a boss character for every future smash bros we get because thats how Sakurai see's Ridley? If K.Rool is a boss, its goo because it at least brings him out of hibernation. But at the same time, it may doom him from ever being playable. It's hard to say now, but it does give me reason to worry (I guess boss would be better then nothing though).

I wish boss characters would stay as more generic bosses from video games. I think the Witches in the Gerudo Valley stage will be bosses, and they do that well. Same with Yellow Devil. For Kirby you could get Kracko, and Metroid really should of had a character that aren't possible to be playable like Kraid, or Crocomire. I feel its better boss characters should stay in the realm of avoiding characters that are easily identifiable as major villain roles and easy to make into working characters such as Ridley and K.Rool.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Thinking about it now, K. Rool would just seem really weird as a boss, when historically he's been shown in a game as no bigger than Bowser, so logically, it wouldn't make sense for him to appear bigger than Bowser on an in-game stage.

Granted, they could forgo Super Sluggers size for classic DKC size, but I'm pretty sure that was to accentuate "THIS GUY IS A BOSS" on SNES graphics, and Sakurai wouldn't make him that unrealistically large. At the same time, having a boss the same size as playable characters seems...****ing weird and insulting.

But he's got to have a bigger role than just a trophy this time. He's just got to. AT just doesn't seem right though.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Thinking about it now, K. Rool would just seem really weird as a boss, when historically he's been shown in a game as no bigger than Bowser, so logically, it wouldn't make sense for him to appear bigger than Bowser on an in-game stage.

Granted, they could forgo Super Sluggers size for classic DKC size, but I'm pretty sure that was to accentuate "THIS GUY IS A BOSS" on SNES graphics, and Sakurai wouldn't make him that unrealistically large. At the same time, having a boss the same size as playable characters seems...****ing weird and insulting.

But he's got to have a bigger role than just a trophy this time. He's just got to. AT just doesn't seem right though.
Which is also why I think Ridley is playable. Ridley has quite clearly been downsized, he's about half the size as he normally is now.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This is my best attempt to emulate what his "classic DKC size" from the first game would look like as a Smash boss.

Needless to say, it's juuuuust a bit off-putting.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just wanna say, if we are gonna see Shulk, Mii, PacMan and Chorus Men tomorrow I'm gonna be mad as ****.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Oh yeah, before I forget just wanting to put in a request to ah who am I kidding why am I being so damn formal.
Add me to the kutthroat list plz

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Meanwhile...

upload_2014-6-9_17-18-18.jpeg

In the vast majority of DKC instalments, I'd place King K. Rool at only slightly bigger than Bowser, but even that's pushing it, since Bowser's new model is him standing up-right. Bowser's new stance makes him slightly taller than DK as it is. King K. Rool's girth is really what makes him look bigger. As for his DK64 form, Bowser has shown up numerous times in the past where he is easily 8-10x the size of Mario. Mind you it's usually the result of Bowser tampering with something he shouldn't have been (Shine Sprites, Power Stars, the Star Rod, etc), but the majority of the time, again, Bowser is scaled down once Mario pounds him (the end of Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, etc).

Overall, I'd pay no mind to those who use the size argument against King K. Rool. As the rest of you pointed out, he looks plain ridiculous when he's bigger.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I hope they can find a good balance with K. Rool's height.

He needs to be taller than DK, but I don't think he should be taller than Bowser (at least not without the crown). The problem is that DK is almost as big as Bowser in Smash.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I hope they can find a good balance with K. Rool's height.

He needs to be taller than DK, but I don't think he should be taller than Bowser (at least not without the crown). The problem is that DK is almost as big as Bowser in Smash.
Not to spam the thread with size comparisons, but here's the playable K. Rool mock-up I made as well. He'd look perfectly fine at that size, although he'd look slightly larger due to his girth actually extending out in 3D.

Also, regrettably, I don't think the gaming media cares enough about K. Rool to say two words about his disconfirmation, let alone ask anyone that matters about him. These were the people who praised the Tikis for being original and better than Kremlings, lest we forget.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, here's hoping if the worst case scenario happens tomorrow, we'll get some answers at the Q&A.
I think that the Q&A is closed off from the general public. It will only be available to journalists I believe. This means that you have to hope that one asks about King K. Rool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom