• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Well, pretty soon is E3, where we may see the King! I'm not expecting much at E3 (maybe a few vets and Palutena or something), but damn... I would almost like to just see the whole roster now and get my happiness or frustration over with.

Here's to hoping the Sal leak is moot, like all the other leaks we've had except maybe that Palutena one.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, pretty soon is E3, where we may see the King! I'm not expecting much at E3 (maybe a few vets and Palutena or something), but damn... I would almost like to just see the whole roster now and get my happiness or frustration over with.

Here's to hoping the Sal leak is moot, like all the other leaks we've had except maybe that Palutena one.
I'm pretty sure even the Palutena leak has been debunked as an elaborate hoax.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure even the Palutena leak has been debunked as an elaborate hoax.
You're probably right, I stopped paying attention to leaks a few months ago when the thread dedicated to them became a war zone. That being said, I can definitely see her being in the game given the circumstances (Pit's FS changed, the Trophy, etc), and Sakurai's got a boner for the Kid Icarus series, similar to his boner for Kirby dare I say.

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
I dunno... as a kid I always liked Donkey Kong Country. Now I think it looks lame, but some parts are funny. I never cared much for "One of Us," but I did like the mirror song (forget what its called, I should look it up).

EDIT: Skurvy's side of the song is so ANNOYING. DK's voice is actually pretty good, though. :p
That's the reason why I like it so much. Because it's so cheesy and lame! It's very endearing.

I was pleasantly surprised in some aspects though. The characters (the main ones) are full of personality, especially our beloved Kroc King. The animation for the most part is pretty great from a technical standpoint. (It's smooth and much like the characters has real life to it and acts along with them. It's rarely "dead").

Some of the writing's great too.

Bluster: I came here to talk, Cranky! Isn't that what friends are for?
Cranky: Yes! You're right! That is what friends are for...but that still doesn't explain why you're here!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Some of the writing's great too.

Bluster: I came here to talk, Cranky! Isn't that what friends are for?
Cranky: Yes! You're right! That is what friends are for...but that still doesn't explain why you're here!
Agreed. Although most of the plots are hackneyed (read: all revolving around the Crystal MacGuffin Coconut), there are instances of really biting wit. One of my favorites:

K. Rool: (to self) Why must my world be littered with such homespun idiots??
Klump: (enters room) Mornin', King Kuh-Rool, suh!
K. Rool: Speaking of which. . .

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
It almost depresses me how Cranky has changed so much in Tropical Freeze to be cheery... I much rather him being the old coot in the shop or in a house along your journey who tells you every few worlds or so how you're failing as the future king and how much of a useless numbskull you are. Tropical Freeze Cranky is simply not Cranky. I think it would have been cooler if it was Cranky in the shop bellowing witty insults at you when you hovered you cursor over an item. Ranging quotes depending on what item it is.

I think it's something that in part disappeared with the magic that was Rareware (not sure if they had any influence over the Donkey Kong Country show, but Tropical Freeze and DKCR are other examples), and in part that Retro wanted to change things up, but I feel it was a bad idea, along with trying to diverge from King K. Rool as well. I did like the Snowmads mind you, but I think next game it's time to go back to the Kremlings.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It almost depresses me how Cranky has changed so much in Tropical Freeze to be cheery... I much rather him being the old coot in the shop or in a house along your journey who tells you every few worlds or so how you're failing as the future king and how much of a useless numbskull you are. Tropical Freeze Cranky is simply not Cranky. I think it would have been cooler if it was Cranky in the shop bellowing witty insults at you when you hovered you cursor over an item. Ranging insults depending on what item it is.

I think it's something that in part disappeared with the magic that was Rareware, and in part that Retro wanted to change things up, but I feel it was a bad idea, along with trying to diverge from King K. Rool as well. I did like the Snowmads mind you, but I think next game it's time to go back to the Kremlings.
Yeah... I get REALLY annoyed when I keep hearing people saying how they want Cranky over Dixie or K. Rool. Cranky Kong lost all his charm when he became a playable character. I don't have Tropical Freeze yet mind you; its one of my first goals once I get a Wii U (other than Smash). But I definitely think Cranky just isn't as fun anymore.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Agreed. Although most of the plots are hackneyed (read: all revolving around the Crystal MacGuffin Coconut), there are instances of really biting wit. One of my favorites:

K. Rool: (to self) Why must my world be littered with such homespun idiots??
Klump: (enters room) Mornin', King Kuh-Rool, suh!
K. Rool: Speaking of which. . .
I loved the scene where K. Rool is playing a video game, and Klump chooses the wrong time to call.

Krusha: Only 500 more points to beat your record, your crocship.
K. Rool: Come on, come on, come on!
*Klump appears on the screen, crashing the game*
Klump:
King K. Rool sir! You read me, your high and mightyness?...Looking a little pale there, chief!
K. Rool: NOOOOOOOOOOO!
*K. Rool smashes the screen. Suddenly his phone rings*
Klump: Chief? You there, chief? Seems we had some sort of interference.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
It almost depresses me how Cranky has changed so much in Tropical Freeze to be cheery...
Can you blame the guy for being cheery? I mean, think about it. Tropical Freeze is probably his first real adrenaline rush in decades. He's getting to spend time with his family and actually go on an adventure with them instead of just advise them about their adventure, or brag about having done it himself. He probably stopped expecting his life to hit high notes after his wife died.

If I were in Cranky's position, I'd be in pretty high spirits, as well.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Can you blame the guy for being cheery? I mean, think about it. Tropical Freeze is probably his first real adrenaline rush in decades. He's getting to spend time with his family and actually go on an adventure with them instead of just advise them about their adventure, or brag about having done it himself. He probably stopped expecting his life to hit high notes after his wife died.

If I were in Cranky's position, I'd be in pretty high spirits, as well.
The problem is... just look at his name. Its right in his name. Cranky Kong doesn't sit right with me unless he's cranky. His quirky antics are at their best when he's berating you for not completing the game in a certain time frame or not completing a certain objective.

When Cranky became a playable character in an actual platforming DK game... it ruined his original charm. The charm in Cranky Kong was the fact that he always claimed he was better than DK, Diddy, and Dixie and wasn't afraid to show it. Then when he's playable, he's not better than the rest, he's just the same as everyone else.

I was excited about Cranky being playable when I first saw it in Tropical Freeze, then after thinking it over, I realized precisely what that meant. Then I got depressed because Cranky lost all his charm.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
It almost depresses me how Cranky has changed so much in Tropical Freeze to be cheery... I much rather him being the old coot in the shop or in a house along your journey who tells you every few worlds or so how you're failing as the future king and how much of a useless numbskull you are. Tropical Freeze Cranky is simply not Cranky. I think it would have been cooler if it was Cranky in the shop bellowing witty insults at you when you hovered you cursor over an item. Ranging quotes depending on what item it is.

I think it's something that in part disappeared with the magic that was Rareware (not sure if they had any influence over the Donkey Kong Country show, but Tropical Freeze and DKCR are other examples), and in part that Retro wanted to change things up, but I feel it was a bad idea, along with trying to diverge from King K. Rool as well. I did like the Snowmads mind you, but I think next game it's time to go back to the Kremlings.
I agree with you on both parts, might as well call him Happy Kong or something if he's no longer cranky. And while the snomads were better enemies than the tiki's, even they'll never be as great as the kremlings.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I sincerely hope that our next DKC game has a Snowmad/Kremling team-up.
Better yet, have the Snomads come back only for it to be discovered that K. Rool has taken them over and has become a Viking, so then we get to see King K. Roolson.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
The problem is... just look at his name. Its right in his name. Cranky Kong doesn't sit right with me unless he's cranky. His quirky antics are at their best when he's berating you for not completing the game in a certain time frame or not completing a certain objective.

When Cranky became a playable character in an actual platforming DK game... it ruined his original charm. The charm in Cranky Kong was the fact that he always claimed he was better than DK, Diddy, and Dixie and wasn't afraid to show it. Then when he's playable, he's not better than the rest, he's just the same as everyone else.

I was excited about Cranky being playable when I first saw it in Tropical Freeze, then after thinking it over, I realized precisely what that meant. Then I got depressed because Cranky lost all his charm.
It's not particularly fair to label Cranky and assume he's always going to be, well.. cranky. I mean, the Smurfs have indicators of notable personality quirks or flaws right in their name, but that doesn't entirely make up what the Smurf is, y'know?

I mean, I was jokingly looking too deeply into it when I made my origin post about Cranky to see what kind of 'Whoa.' responses I could get, but I think you might be digging even deeper than I am. In which case, I'm going to bail before you hit bedrock.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Hmm, King K. Rool and the Snowmads teaming up...

Reminds me of this; I'd call him King K. RØØlsteinn.

upload_2014-6-8_21-3-19.jpeg

Last edited:

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Considering that K.Rool and Frederick act too much alike, they wouldn't get along long enough to form an alliance.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Considering that K.Rool and Frederick act too much alike, they wouldn't get along long enough to form an alliance.

That's why I think, if anything, K. Rool would find Frederick's ruined fleet and take over, booting out Frederick, then try and come back to get revenge on Donkey Kong.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'd prefer the Snowmads to make cameo appearances in the snow world of next game, rather than to be in any sort of power or plot-relevant position. Diet K. Rool had a game's worth of spotlight to himself, now it's regular K. Rool's turn.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
What if in the next DKC cranky is back in the shop, but he's super upset about not being playable again.

I'd like that

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
What if in the next DKC cranky is back in the shop, but he's super upset about not being playable again.

I'd like that
I'd rather Cranky go back to giving out advice and complaining about it. And complaining about the fact that he can't go out on an adventure again, perhaps because he pulled his back from the fight against Lord Frederick. :p

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
I'd prefer the Snowmads to make cameo appearances in the snow world of next game, rather than to be in any sort of power or plot-relevant position. Diet K. Rool had a game's worth of spotlight to himself, now it's regular K. Rool's turn.
But unlike Diet D.K, he's not (even) as cool as the original. Which is ironic...
Diet D.K was apparently one of the prototype names for Diddy during DKC1's development. (Thanks DYKGaming) Which I'm both glad and a little saddened wasn't picked for his final name.

This is a pipe-dream I know but if the DKC cartoon were revived I'd be quite happy to see Retro's villains make regular appearances as big bads of the week. Alongside King K. Rool.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
At this point I'd imagine he'd be Obese K. Rool given how long he's been sitting around doing nothing. :troll:
(I would actually find it funny if they make a joke like that sort of. Just a funny reference to how long he's been gone.)

Hey, hey guys!

DK64 Sequel is confirmed for E3!

I'm loving those conflicting art styles. It gives a certain charm.
I'm also glad they're still developing games for the Wii!
Hope that game doesn't need Wi-Fi!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's probably been said before, but make sure to watch for King K. Rool at E3, even if it is doubtful playable K. Rool will be shown there (expect him as a hidden character if he is playable). There is likely going to be a mass disconfirmation happen and if bosses occur, make sure to pay attention to whenever or not K. Rool shows up on there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm mostly interested in whether or not a DKC stage will be in the demo. It's unlikely, since we haven't seen it, but who knows.

Going to keep my eyes peeled for the King though. I'm not sure what my feelings are right now though. (Other than obviously wanting him to be playable very badly.)

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I'm keeping my expectations low. While I want to see playable K. Rool more than literally anything else right now, (real world stuff included) I'm not going to hype myself up for a possible disappointment. I did the same for Mega Man last year, so let's hope I'm pleasantly about an inch away from tears of joy hyped surprised again.

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
I'm keeping my expectations low. While I want to see playable K. Rool more than literally anything else right now, (real world stuff included) I'm not going to hype myself up for a possible disappointment. I did the same for Mega Man last year, so let's hope I'm pleasantly about an inch away from tears of joy hyped surprised again.
I hope K. Rool is one of the characters that gets revealed at E3 too but unlike some other characters if he isn't revealed it really doesn't hurt his chances, it just means he'll be revealed at a later date or unlockable when the game comes out.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I hope K. Rool is one of the characters that gets revealed at E3 too but unlike some other characters if he isn't revealed it really doesn't hurt his chances, it just means he'll be revealed at a later date or unlockable when the game comes out.
It means he COULD be revealed at a later date or unlockable. The sooner K. Rool is revealed the less we have to fret over worrying he's not playable. That said I think K. Rool is incredibly likely now that Kremlings are confirmed to be back, but we'll see how things play out.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Just wanted to say that I still fully support the villain of my all time favorite game. I simply don't post here (in dis thread) anymore for... reasons.

May he be revealed tomorrow along Rids.

Top Bottom