• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Morbi

Scavenger
Ganondorf is also rather menacing, as is Wolf, albeit to a lesser extent. Depends on whether you consider him a villain, though.

I think K. Rool should finally find a happy medium between menacing and goofy, and Smash is a great place for that to happen. Why not play up his kooky insanity to the point where his mental instability alone makes him menacing? He can look really goofy and still come off as a threat.
So basically we should model K. Rool after Heath Ledger?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yes. I'm saying exactly that. Do you think I'm not so serious?
That's a comparison I've actually seen made before, beyond K. Rool's insanity being similar. The users were theorizing that, while Donkey Kong has a decent-sized library of one-shot antagonists he's faced, his main and most popular villain will never not be K. Rool, just like with Batman and Joker.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Are you happy now? :awesome:
*sigh* I must admit that this got me excited for a sec, just to find out it was fake. D: Too bad. D:

Ok, with TF being delayed, it gives me a bit more hope, to be honest. More hope than I've had before. K. Rool is still my #1 most wanted newcomer, and fave Nintendo character of all time, so I hope he gets his dues this time around.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
If, let's say, theoretically King K. Rool were to be announced sometime in Spring 2014, maybe alongside Tropical Freeze, would this then bode certainly well for the chances of almost all the other most popular requests making the cut?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If, let's say, theoretically King K. Rool were to be announced sometime in Spring 2014, maybe alongside Tropical Freeze, would this then bode certainly well for the chances of almost all the other most popular requests making the cut?
To a point. The thing is, once Mega Man, Mewtwo and K. Rool are all revealed, there's only Ridley leftover as a massively popular addition, and his inclusion at this point hinges entirely on whether Sakurai is or is not a toobigot. While definitely popular, I don't know that the fanbases of Little Mac, Palutena, and Roy would have the same sway, though the former two are still very likely, with the first being a lock.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I just beat Baron K. Roolenstein on DKC3 for the first time today. It took me about 15 tries the first time. Now I can do it with ease.:smirk: It only makes me want him in Smash even more. Anyways, in celebration lets get this page to 100 already! K. Rool 4 Smash!

Groose

Smash Champion
The King is taking Rate Their Chances by storm from now until probably this Saturday.

You know what to do to his want percentage, boys!

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
The King is taking Rate Their Chances by storm from now until probably this Saturday.

You know what to do to his want percentage, boys!

Sure do. Been there. :D

I wonder if Sakurai ever reads these forums when directing as new Smash... :p

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Sure do. Been there. :D

I wonder if Sakurai ever reads these forums when directing as new Smash... :p
To this day, I still have no idea why this thread was swamped with dozens of thousands of views for that one week in late March, even when it got bumped to the second page. I theorized that Nintendo had a hand in it somehow, since the thread hadn't been linked anywhere else to anyone's knowledge and it's been discussed before that Nintendo potentially browsed Smashboards' Brawl Demo Impressions threads in search of techniques Sakurai wished to "distill" (namely L-Canceling).

In all honestly, while it would be cool to know Nintendo is browsing SWF character threads, I'd be nervous if it were confirmed to be the case with this thread. If the game started development in early 2012, why would Nintendo be browsing a character thread in 2013 when characters are the first elements of the game decided upon?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
To this day, I still have no idea why this thread was swamped with dozens of thousands of views for that one week in late March, even when it got bumped to the second page. I theorized that Nintendo had a hand in it somehow, since the thread hadn't been linked anywhere else to anyone's knowledge and it's been discussed before that Nintendo potentially browsed Smashboards' Brawl Demo Impressions threads in search of techniques Sakurai wished to "distill" (namely L-Canceling).

In all honestly, while it would be cool to know Nintendo is browsing SWF character threads, I'd be nervous if it were confirmed to be the case with this thread. If the game started development in early 2012, why would Nintendo be browsing a character thread in 2013 when characters are the first elements of the game decided upon?
Wow. Good eye putting that all together. That is a bit nerve-racking, I suppose. But I'd also be just as anxious about Sakurai/Nintendo browsing these forums because they might take "muh relevunce" and "too big" to heart.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Okay, now I'm almost dead certain that, if K. Rool is in the game, he's getting his alternate costumes (at least Kaptain). If He Fit Trainer's slightly larger model can be made to mirror the regular Trainer's moveset, there's no reason Kaptain can't do the same despite lacking a spiky crown for jabbing opponents.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Does anybody know as to whether or not Masahiro Sakurai is cognitively aware of certain Smash-related communities (Smashboards, for instance), or if he ever made mention of any of them directly?

I would also like to request being added to the support list, if you are willing.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wow. Good eye putting that all together. That is a bit nerve-racking, I suppose. But I'd also be just as anxious about Sakurai/Nintendo browsing these forums because they might take "muh relevunce" and "too big" to heart.
Sakurai willingly defies the fanbase. Many of the things we say aren't possible he makes possible. Remember the "Has to be in a video game" rule? R.O.B didn't care. Just one example. Even if he read people going nuts about relevance and characters being too big, I'm sure he'd just see it as a challenge towards him. Or he just doesn't care and goes around doing his business either way. I'm pretty sure Sakurai doesn't have as strict requirements as we make it out to be.

I don't think he can read English, can he? Though I'm dead certain that there is a level of observation that occurs.
It's not unusual to hire people to gather in fan community responses. Sakurai most likely had/has people that observe our reactions and responses to different things. It'd be odd if the people he have hired aren't looking around the biggest western Smash Bros community, I'm pretty sure that they're reading our responses from time to time.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Nope, I don't remember a non-existent rule formed by misinterpretation.
Exactly like the "relevance" and "too big" "rules". The counter-arguments for R.O.B turned out to be a load of bull****, because like so many things they were made up by fans, and the same will likely hold true to these two. Heck, neither of these arguments hardly hold any meaning anymore as it is.

D

Deleted member

Exactly.

That is why K. Rool is not "too big" or "not relevant enough", but instead is too fat for Smash. :troll:

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Exactly.

That is why K. Rool is not "too big" or "not relevant enough", but instead is too fat for Smash. :troll:

I hope you meant that with a "ph" lol. XD

I'm going back to work on my SSBB K. Rool mod, inspired by this thread. :D I swear, if K. Rool makes it in this next game, I can die a happy man.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Does anyone else think that alt. costumes might RAISE K. Rool's chances?
Sure, costumes are a cool idea, but how can you have costumes without the KING OF KCOSTUMES?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Sure, costumes are a cool idea, but how can you have costumes without the KING OF KCOSTUMES?
I don't think costumes will affect the chances of K. Rool at all. That's like saying I want Style Savvy in Smash Bros because there is tons of costumes to choose from. (BTW Style Savvy)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's difficult to say. I don't know that the costumes will raise his chances, per se, but they're a unique element of the character that could catch Sakurai's eye, since he's a guy who seeks out characters who offer uniqueness that no other character can replicate. What I'm excited about is that, although I had earlier doubts that Kaptain wouldn't be able to copy all of K. Rool's crown moves with his hat, He Fit Trainer erases them since his physical hurtboxes are a bit different as well.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think the Male WFT pretty much gives away that the King will have his costumes. If not, that´d be a crime against humanity.

D

Deleted member

Does it confirm K. Rool or increase his chances? No.
Does it increase the chance of K. Rool having at least one of his signature costumes outside the King appearance if he's in? Yes.

My money would be on Kaptain.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hopefully Baron as well, because I wouldn't want that version of K. Rool to fade into obscurity either.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I had an interesting mechanic for K. Rool.
So K. Rool has 4 costumes:
King, Kaptain, Baron, and Krusha.
These costumes each have different stats and can drastically change a certain mechanic for K. Rool.
For example, Baron gives you multiple jumps and allows you to hover.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Does it confirm K. Rool or increase his chances? No.
Does it increase the chance of K. Rool having at least one of his signature costumes outside the King appearance if he's in? Yes.

My money would be on Kaptain.
Basically this. K. Rool is one of very few characters whose costumes are more than just a temporary gimmick or power-up; when he changes his get-up, the entire motif of the game around him changes accordingly. Surely this can't be overlooked by developers?

And Kaptain's the one who was, however offensively-Japanesely, referenced in his Brawl trophy, so he seems to have the best shot of becoming a costume.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
After realizing the GBA version and SNES version had different soundtracks, I really wish for these two tracks make it in.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And Kaptain's the one who was, however offensively-Japanesely, referenced in his Brawl trophy, so he seems to have the best shot of becoming a costume.

Think this was also cause DKC2 was the most popular DKC game. And the fact that Diddy was a newcomer in Brawl. I don't see why they should skip the Baron now. DKC3 is as forgotten as it is already.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I'm not too sure about alternate costumes for him. He would probably have a crown throw attack and throwing a captain hat or a... whatever that thing the baron wears just doesn't fit.

Top Bottom