• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Speaking of Yeti Kong, anyone else expecting Super Kong to replace that alt this time around?

Oh, and yeah. What everyone else said. K. Rool has enough potential from the games, but I wouldn't mind seeing some of his personality and mannerisms from the cartoon find its way into Smash. I'd absolutely love if his old VA somehow reprised his role.
Is his old VA still around/still do that kind of thing? Regardless though yeah. He has enough material from the games alone which should suffice. The cartoon is just an extra bonus.

All they'd really have to do to turn Yeti Kong into Super Kong is change his tie color from red to blue (and Eddie's hat was blue, not red anyway), so there's an okay shot of that happening.

At the very least, if K. Rool doesn't have his tail in Smash, you can point to the cartoon as the reason, given that it was his first appearance without one due to animation difficulties.
He better not have that shorter cape then too. Oi...

I'm not saying the Pokemon anime is good, by any means. It certainly isn't. What I am saying is that it's official. Not to mention, it's still massively popular all these years later and has greatly shaped the Pokemon brand as a whole. Pikachu says "Pika Pika" in X/Y with its voice from the anime. The Donkey Kong Country cartoon show is as official as the "EXCUUUUUUUUUUSE ME, PRINCESS!" Legend of Zelda cartoon. It was just a quick licensing grab to take advantage of the popularity of DKC at the time.
Ah, okay. I agree with you there then. Guess I misunderstood a bit.

Groose

Smash Champion

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Keep in mind, though, Dixie was only planned as an add-on to Diddy. We have no idea how Sakurai would feel about her being a separate character.
Wait how do we know Dixie wasn't planned to be a Diddy add-on? both Popo and Nana shared the same file, Dixie has her own file.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wait how do we know Dixie wasn't planned to be a Diddy add-on? both Popo and Nana shared the same file, Dixie has her own file.
Popo and Nana had seperate files. What are you talking about?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The (terrible) mechanic likely would have involved Diddy and Dixie swapping with Down Special, in addition to running around behind him, so to some degree, she would have had her own moveset. Little else is known on the subject, other than that, when Sakurai cut the mechanic, he chose to keep Diddy because "people found it odd" he hadn't been playable already.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
All in all, a nice video. I'm curious to see whether Sakurai gives K. Rool the blunderbuss/crown/shockwave/helicopter pack quartet of Specials, since in virtually every fan-made moveset, that's what he has. I imagine, when Sakurai saw the requests for K. Rool, he saw what they were requesting him to do with the character as well.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Little else is known on the subject, other than that, when Sakurai cut the mechanic, he chose to keep Diddy because "people found it odd" he hadn't been playable already.
I wonder if Sakurai will choose to add K. Rool (and maybe Ridley) for similar reasons... :confused:
There's one guitar rendition of Gangplank Galleon out there that is simply amazing. Problem is... I forget which YouTube video it was. :/
I know that one... but I don't know the name of it. All I know is it plays on Rumble Falls in my Project M thanks to my music mods! :shades:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
All in all, a nice video. I'm curious to see whether Sakurai gives K. Rool the blunderbuss/crown/shockwave/helicopter pack quartet of Specials, since in virtually every fan-made moveset, that's what he has. I imagine, when Sakurai saw the requests for K. Rool, he saw what they were requesting him to do with the character as well.
I'd imagine that. The Krown would be a must-have.

D

Deleted member

The (terrible) mechanic likely would have involved Diddy and Dixie swapping with Down Special, in addition to running around behind him, so to some degree, she would have had her own moveset. Little else is known on the subject, other than that, when Sakurai cut the mechanic, he chose to keep Diddy because "people found it odd" he hadn't been playable already.
Another little known matter on the subject is that Dixie was going to be kept as well, but on her own as presumably a semi-clone, going by Instance Slot data.
http://opensa.dantarion.com/wiki/Instance_Slots
She comes after Wolf but before the guests.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Another little known matter on the subject is that Dixie was going to be kept as well, but on her own as presumably a semi-clone, going by Instance Slot data.
http://opensa.dantarion.com/wiki/Instance_Slots
She comes after Wolf but before the guests.
As someone not savvy with the logistics of instance slots, is this confirmation that Dixie was indeed worked on after being dropped from the duo mechanic, or just that she received work while part of the mechanic and was then dropped along with it?

Not that I think it has much bearing on K. Rool, but it's a factoid that would be nice to confirm one way or the other.

Miguel Manzo

Smash Rookie
This guy is a genious!! Finally someone understands me! KING K ROOL FOR SMASH! or Dixie Kong would be nice too but K ROOL THE KING!!

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Where you come from, people don't think K.Rool is a good choice?

No, because he comes from my place :awesome:.

Finally great to see you join the boards, Miguel!

EDIT: Miguel is my friend, I've known him since kindergarten. He's a huge Smash fan, so I persuaded him to join the forums. Who knew he'd show his support for the first time on the exact same thread I did?

D

Deleted member

As someone not savvy with the logistics of instance slots, is this confirmation that Dixie was indeed worked on after being dropped from the duo mechanic, or just that she received work while part of the mechanic and was then dropped along with it?

Not that I think it has much bearing on K. Rool, but it's a factoid that would be nice to confirm one way or the other.
If it was work specifically for the duo, she would be right after Diddy like how Nana is to Popo, regardless on being scrapped or not.
Also worth noting is that while like the other scrapped characters (and the Pokemon Trainer himself), her Instance Constants data is primarily empty, she has programming for Wall Clinging like Diddy, but not Crawling. In a similar case, Toon Sheik is only programmed to be able to Wall Jump, but not Cling or Crawl like her non-Toon counterpart.

http://opensa.dantarion.com/wiki/IC-Constants

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The (terrible) mechanic likely would have involved Diddy and Dixie swapping with Down Special, in addition to running around behind him, so to some degree, she would have had her own moveset. Little else is known on the subject, other than that, when Sakurai cut the mechanic, he chose to keep Diddy because "people found it odd" OUTRAGEOUS he hadn't been playable already.
Fixed.

Dixie is cool to though. But solo Diddy is best Diddy.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If it was work specifically for the duo, she would be right after Diddy like how Nana is to Popo, regardless on being scrapped or not.
Also worth noting is that while like the other scrapped characters (and the Pokemon Trainer himself), her Instance Constants data is primarily empty, she has programming for Wall Clinging like Diddy, but not Crawling. In a similar case, Toon Sheik is only programmed to be able to Wall Jump, but not Cling or Crawl like her non-Toon counterpart.

http://opensa.dantarion.com/wiki/IC-Constants
That's fascinating stuff, not to mention believable. You're sure Dixie would be listed below Diddy if she received just duo work and was cut, though? I ask only because the basises for comparison with other veterans are a bit foggy, since they didn't get a transformation cut from their moveset (and among the current veterans, Popo/Nana and Zelda/Sheik are listed together while Samus/ZSS aren't). Either way, this gives context to "DIXIE WAS PLANNED FOR BRAWL," which is valuable for our speculative purposes.

D

Deleted member

That's fascinating stuff, not to mention believable. You're sure Dixie would be listed below Diddy if she received just duo work and was cut, though? I ask only because the basises for comparison with other veterans are a bit foggy, since they didn't get a transformation cut from their moveset (and among the current veterans, Popo/Nana and Zelda/Sheik are listed together while Samus/ZSS aren't). Either way, this gives context to "DIXIE WAS PLANNED FOR BRAWL," which is valuable for our speculative purposes.
Well you have to remember Zero Suit Samus, while a part of Samus, is still a Newcomer.
With Diddy and Dixie, they would have both been Newcomers. which means if Dixie was never intended on her own, Dixie would under Diddy like how Sheik is under Zelda, Nana is under Popo, the individual Pokémon are under the Trainer, and Toon Sheik is under Toon Zelda.

Groose

Smash Champion
Post number 1000, eh? I can think of only one thing to say on such a monumental occasion.
KING K. ROOL FOR SMASH!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well you have to remember Zero Suit Samus, while a part of Samus, is still a Newcomer.
With Diddy and Dixie, they would have both been Newcomers. which means if Dixie was never intended on her own, Dixie would under Diddy like how Sheik is under Zelda, Nana is under Popo, the individual Pokémon are under the Trainer, and Toon Sheik is under Toon Zelda.
Got it. I just wish Dixie weren't the only character cut from a duo so there'd be something else to use as a comparison.

Anyways, Dixie being lumped in among Wolf, Roy, Dr. Mario, and Toon Zelda/Sheik makes it all but clear what sort of moveset she'd have if playable. This is something to file away for when people falsely equate K. Rool and Dixie's uniqueness as 'the same'; K. Rool was never programmed ("thought about" or planned is unknown), but was never intended to be a last-minute (semi-)clone either.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Anyways, Dixie being lumped in among Wolf, Roy, Dr. Mario, and Toon Zelda/Sheik makes it all but clear what sort of moveset she'd have if playable. This is something to file away for when people falsely equate K. Rool and Dixie's uniqueness as 'the same'; K. Rool was never programmed ("thought about" or planned is unknown), but was never intended to be a last-minute (semi-)clone either.
Indeed. I think it's a very real possibility that both K. Rool and Dixie gets in, but K. Rool would be prioritized since Dixie would make the most sense as a semi-clone of Diddy, where as K. Rool will be a unique character and would be required to have a lot of focus during development. We don't know if Sakurai would consider Dixie outside of being a last minute addition either.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Another K. Rool sig from me, because I was tired of seeing his Jungle Climber artwork everywhere.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Another K. Rool sig from me, because I was tired of seeing his Jungle Climber artwork everywhere.
Admittedly, a major part of the reason I want K. Rool playable is so that he gets artwork that doesn't look...well, like the Jungle Climber artwork does. His crocodile jaws look way too frog-like for my tastes.

Groose

Smash Champion
So, we're having a bit of a special day today on Rate Their Chances. We're rating the chance that there could be FOUR DK characters on the roster... the concept of "can Dixie and K. Rool coexist?" And, would you WANT them both? I don't mean to derail this thread with that kind of chat, but since it does relate to K. Rool, I'd thought I'd let you guys know.

Groose

Smash Champion
Admittedly, a major part of the reason I want K. Rool playable is so that he gets artwork that doesn't look...well, like the Jungle Climber artwork does. His crocodile jaws look way too frog-like for my tastes.
I think that, if when K. Rool does get in, he'll have a cartoon-y design to him. Although he may have been scary as heck in DKC2, he's been portrayed as more of a comical character in the rest of the series. I'd imagine he'll have more menace than Dedede, but I do expect them to play up his "kooky" side more than his frightening side.

I understand that there is a void for the menacing villain since Bowser's redesign. But I think that someone like Ridley would be more likely to fill that role than our favorite croc.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Ganondorf is also rather menacing, as is Wolf, albeit to a lesser extent. Depends on whether you consider him a villain, though.

I think K. Rool should finally find a happy medium between menacing and goofy, and Smash is a great place for that to happen. Why not play up his kooky insanity to the point where his mental instability alone makes him menacing? He can look really goofy and still come off as a threat.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Speaking of crocodile jaws, I seriously hope his pummel is biting the opponent. Kind of like a reprisal of the Koopa Klaw from Melee.

I missed the biting animation...

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Koopa Klaw? I miss that attack as well.

I'd hope either K. Rool or Ridley (or perhaps both for that matter) would have a bite attack for their pummel.

Also, I wish that Bowser would've gotten a mix of Koopa Klaw and Flying Slam this time around, but it appears that isn't the case.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Speaking of crocodile jaws, I seriously hope his pummel is biting the opponent. Kind of like a reprisal of the Koopa Klaw from Melee.

I missed the biting animation...
Yep, those bites would be the perfect set-up for a Death Rool KO.

Top Bottom