• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Since Dixie was planned for Brawl, I bet she's planned for SSB4, and with Tropical Freeze coming out next year, Dixie Kong seems like high priority for the next character in development..
Keep in mind, though, Dixie was only planned as an add-on to Diddy. We have no idea how Sakurai would feel about her being a separate character.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't put too much stock in "Dixie was planned for Brawl, she'd at the front of the line for this game." Maybe that was the case when Sakurai's cut characters included the likes of monster newcomers like Bowser and Dedede, but when Dixie is in company with the likes of Doc, Toon Zelda/Sheik, and 'prai_mai' as the remnant of an outdated duo, I think it's a mild positive at best. "Sakurai thought about her moveset" is small bananas when you consider he "thinks about" the movesets of dozens of characters who don't make it into the final game or its list of scrapped data, including the Villager.

Tropical Freeze? The second of the two only reasons most people value Dixie as a newcomer? It's a new game, and yet it gives Dixie little additional value over what she already had...you can reskin her borrowed Tiny feather gun with her new bubblegum gun, but otherwise, she's still female Diddy visually and gameplay-wise. As far as Sakurai is concerned, the most he will know is that she exists in the game, with no idea of the fanbase's reception to her at large, given that he had finished collecting requests by then. If he personally thinks she meets and exceeds his criteria, he would have thought that before Tropical Freeze was a reality.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
K. Rool popped in my head again, and while thinking about his king persona I realized something. If I could compare him and Bowser to vehicles, I'd say Bowser's a tank and K. Rool's a truck.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Honestly, the more I think about K. Rool, the more I think he would be the best "next reveal."

Granted I said that pre-E3 about the E3 reveal.

I just think revealing a "conventional" super popular newcomer as the next revealed newcomer (whenever that is) seems like the way to go.

That is unless the people in charge of the reveals show a new cult character first (much like Ike on the Brawl Dojo; maybe Shulk or Miis=???), then followed by the super popular character (which on the Brawl Dojo was obviously Diddy Kong).

Regardless, I don't feel like there will be more than say 3 newcomers (if any) revealed before K. Rool, unless Sakurai really wants to save him for last.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
So, guys, while the Mewtwo talk is flooding the main discussion, one thought that I've kicked around is that, if Mewtwo is indeed revealed Friday, there's a pretty big void for popular characters (*cough* K. Roodley *cough*) between then and the game's release in (likely) Q4 2014. If Mewtwo is shown to be in, that's also an additional indication that our voices as fans are being heard.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Definetely means the fans are being heard, though I wonder if it would mean much for Newcomers.

And I'm here to take a break from the drunk improv of the Roster Prediction discussion thread.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
So, guys, while the Mewtwo talk is flooding the main discussion, one thought that I've kicked around is that, if Mewtwo is indeed revealed Friday, there's a pretty big void for popular characters (*cough* K. Roodley *cough*) between then and the game's release in (likely) Q4 2014. If Mewtwo is shown to be in, that's also an additional indication that our voices as fans are being heard.
Good point on the "big void for popular characters" idea, though there are still plenty of popular veterans to announce as well. Also, Mewtwo being announced probably wields just as much evidence for marketing influencing the game as it does for the fans' voices being heard.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Good point on the "big void for popular characters" idea, though there are still plenty of popular veterans to announce as well. Also, Mewtwo being announced probably wields just as much evidence for marketing influencing the game as it does for the fans' voices being heard.
That latter bit is definitely true with Mewtwo, since Pokemon is one series where the latest gen. Pokemon are given special focus to some degree. Mega Man is more of a testament to Sakurai listening to the fans, though I think it factors into Mewtwo at least a little as well.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It makes me wonder exactly what other newcomers inclusion would show that Sakurai is listening to the fans. What he would say about certain newcomers should they be revealed might help.

Also, the thread is getting close to 100 pages. Keep it up, fellow Kutthroats!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It makes me wonder exactly what other newcomers inclusion would show that Sakurai is listening to the fans. What he would say about certain newcomers should they be revealed might help.

Also, the thread is getting close to 100 pages. Keep it up, fellow Kutthroats!
Little things give me hope that Sakurai is in tune with what us fans want in terms of characters. Some examples include Sakurai saying on the Brawl DOJO, on Wario's profile that "Many fans clamored for Wario to join the fray," on Sonic's that he was "the one whose Smash appearance was most desired," and that he recognized Pit as a character popular in the US and Japan, and Meta Knight as a popular character in Japan in his post-E3 2006 journal. It's nothing to be 100% sure of, given that Sakurai claims to listen to the "silent majority" (a possible nickname for his own desires) as well, but based on precedent, there's no reason to believe the roster will be flooded with nobodies for the first time.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
All the characters revealed thus far are proof that the fans are being heard, especially the veterans.

Regardless of which Pokémon veteran we get, the fans will have demanded their return (well maybe minus Pichu). :laugh:

Still, you are right: no character is demanded quite like Mewtwo, although Ridley and K. Rool aren't too far behind.

If you look at Melee and Brawl, they added the most wanted characters.

With Melee, it was Peach, Bowser, Ganondorf, Zelda, and Mewtwo (and Marth in Japan).

With Brawl, it was Wario, Sonic, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, and Lucario.

With Smash for the Wii U and 3DS, it was Mega Man, and still is Mewtwo, Ridley, K. Rool, and the Miis (yes, they are asked for a lot; just not on sites like these).

So yeah, history should repeat itself there.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
All the characters revealed thus far are proof that the fans are being heard, especially the veterans.

Regardless of which Pokémon veteran we get, the fans will have demanded their return (well maybe minus Pichu). :laugh:

Still, you are right: no character is demanded quite like Mewtwo, although Ridley and K. Rool aren't too far behind.

If you look at Melee and Brawl, they added the most wanted characters.

With Melee, it was Peach, Bowser, Ganondorf, Zelda, and Mewtwo (and Marth in Japan).

With Brawl, it was Wario, Sonic, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, and Lucario.

With Smash for the Wii U and 3DS, it was Mega Man, and still is Mewtwo, Ridley, K. Rool, and the Miis (yes, they are asked for a lot; just not on sites like these).

So yeah, history should repeat itself there.
Seriously, anyone who considers a guy as wanted as K. Rool expendable at this point hasn't been thinking straight, especially if Ridley ends up being a stage hazard. Is he a lock? Maybe not, but he's about as close as you can get without being named Little Mac.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Seriously, anyone who considers a guy as wanted as K. Rool expendable at this point hasn't been thinking straight, especially if Ridley ends up being a stage hazard. Is he a lock? Maybe not, but he's about as close as you can get without being named Little Mac.
I think the thing Little Mac has going for him is that person leaking him to a few sites (including NeoGaf) along with the names Pac-Man and Miis, as well as the 3 confirmed newcomers.

As for K. Rool, eh, I think he's close to a lock. If theoretically those 6 characters are confirmed and we say 4-7 more newcomers, K. Rool would easily make that cut. Ridley... would have a slightly more difficult time.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
T looks like they're promoting Dixie.

But of course, K Rool is better than just another monkey right?
Not only that, but K. Rool namely has more worldwide appeal. Sakurai wouldn't exclude one of the Top 3 Most Wanted (possibly Top 2) Nintendo newcomers just because they haven't been in a game in a while. :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, some people are not getting the concept that Smash is about Nintendo's All-Stars.
Well, don't get me wrong. Dixie's definitely an all-star. It's just that I definitely feel that K. Rool has more reason to be in. Though nothing's stopping us from having four DK characters.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Beyond what Opossum said, people love to foam at the mouth over newcomers being used as advertisements when, based on what we've seen, veterans already fill this purpose just fine. It's superfluous to have Second Pikmin Rep or Toon Zelda to advertise new games when Olimar and Toon Link already do so just fine, and Diddy will probably end up doing so alone with Tropical Freeze. You certainly don't see people using that as a reason to call them SHOO-INS, even when Toon Zelda's credentials are nearly identical to Dixie's.

That, and Sakurai doesn't have the memory of a goldfish. He chose Mega Man and Villager based on long-standing credentials they had, mentioning both of them twice in his Brawl journal. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess who else he konsidered twice in there.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Beyond what Opossum said, people love to foam at the mouth over newcomers being used as advertisements when, based on what we've seen, veterans already fill this purpose just fine. It's superfluous to have Second Pikmin Rep or Toon Zelda to advertise new games when Olimar and Toon Link already do so just fine, and Diddy will probably end up doing so alone with Tropical Freeze. You certainly don't see people using that as a reason to call them SHOO-INS, even when Toon Zelda's credentials are nearly identical to Dixie's.

That, and Sakurai doesn't have the memory of a goldfish. He chose Mega Man and Villager based on long-standing credentials they had, mentioning both of them twice in his Brawl journal. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess who else he konsidered twice in there.
I do expect Diddy at Tropical Freeze.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Posting some musical accompaniment in celebration of my 3,000th post, dedicated to the Kremling King. May many most posts be spent in discussion of his greatness, here and everywhere else.

Groose

Smash Champion
Dj the S makes the greatest remixes in history.
Eh... he has good stuff, but there are other good ones out there.

There's one guitar rendition of Gangplank Galleon out there that is simply amazing. Problem is... I forget which YouTube video it was. :/

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Seriously, it's worth pondering whether or not K. Rool would have any references to the DKC cartoon in his moveset or mannerisms, given that it did influence DK's Neutral Special and Yeti costume. I believe someone had the idea earlier of K. Rool shooting Klaptraps out of his blunderbuss as a reference to the Klaptrap Weapons on the show?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Seriously, it's worth pondering whether or not K. Rool would have any references to the DKC cartoon in his moveset or mannerisms, given that it did influence DK's Neutral Special and Yeti costume. I believe someone had the idea earlier of K. Rool shooting Klaptraps out of his blunderbuss as a reference to the Klaptrap Weapons on the show?
He has enough moveset potential without it, but I could see it happening.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Dear god, I hope not.

Is there any source on the DKC Cartoon influencing Smash other than 2 vague coincidental similarities? Regardless, K. Rool has such a massive potential movepool from his in-game appearances, it would be pretty outrageous to incorporate elements from an embarrassing non-canon Saturday morning cartoon.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Well Meowth was nearly considered because of the anime. So there could be influence, but its unlikely.
The massive Pokemon anime that is produced and licensed by the Pokemon company vs. a laughably low quality failure of a money grab created by a random French/Canadian studio.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think that K. Rool has more than enough going for him from the source games alone. The difference with Pokémon was that many of the moves weren't really properly identifiable back in the days, many of the Electric moves for example was just the screen flashing while some sort of thunder-ish effect enveloped the target. Many of the things had to be taken from the anime in this case, since that was when Pokémon was able to express itself outside of the few bits it had to work with.

These days, such things aren't a problem, not for Pokémon and certainly not for K. Rool. The DK TV series is also not on scale with the humongous Pokémon Anime which drew a lot of people into the franchise to begin with, and was also the thing that decided what to promote when, and still is. The DK punch is pretty identical though, but I gotta say that the yeti costume could probably have come from anywhere, many characters received some really cool costumes like Mario with the Fire Flower, Dark Link, Fusion Suit Samus, Gothic Meta Knight, Mr. Saturn T-Shirt Ness and such, giving Donkey Kong a cool looking white costume was pretty much a giveaway considering that nearly all other cool looking colors were taken.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think that K. Rool has more than enough going for him from the source games alone. The difference with Pokémon was that many of the moves weren't really properly identifiable back in the days, many of the Electric moves for example was just the screen flashing while some sort of thunder-ish effect enveloped the target. Many of the things had to be taken from the anime in this case, since that was when Pokémon was able to express itself outside of the few bits it had to work with.

These days, such things aren't a problem, not for Pokémon and certainly not for K. Rool. The DK TV series is also not on scale with the humongous Pokémon Anime which drew a lot of people into the franchise to begin with, and was also the thing that decided what to promote when, and still is. The DK punch is pretty identical though, but I gotta say that the yeti costume could probably have come from anywhere, many characters received some really cool costumes like Mario with the Fire Flower, Dark Link, Fusion Suit Samus, Gothic Meta Knight, Mr. Saturn T-Shirt Ness and such, giving Donkey Kong a cool looking white costume was pretty much a giveaway considering that nearly all other cool looking colors were taken.
K. Rool definitely has enough material from outside the cartoon, and I definitely don't think anything from the cartoon would get in over his game attacks, but whether any cartoon references get in at all is worth pondering. The fact that Sakurai referred to DK's white costume specifically as "Yeti Kong" leaves little to no doubt in my mind that Eddie the Mean Old Yeti inspired it, especially since he had nothing comparable to it in any of his games to that point.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The massive Pokemon anime that is produced and licensed by the Pokemon company vs. a laughably low quality failure of a money grab created by a random French/Canadian studio.
You say that as though the kiddy Pokemon anime as a whole is actually good itself. Certain characters like Mewtwo are the only thing that would get people like myself to ever watch it again. Now that Pokemon Origins feature on the other hand, that had Red instead of Ash and is much more identical to the games, that's what I would consider quality.

And hey, the DK cartoon had some alright computer animation for its time, despite being outdated now obviously. As for the thing with the Yeti costume, it does kinda make me ponder now too...

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Speaking of Yeti Kong, anyone else expecting Super Kong to replace that alt this time around?

Oh, and yeah. What everyone else said. K. Rool has enough potential from the games, but I wouldn't mind seeing some of his personality and mannerisms from the cartoon find its way into Smash. I'd absolutely love if his old VA somehow reprised his role.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
All they'd really have to do to turn Yeti Kong into Super Kong is change his tie color from red to blue (and Eddie's hat was blue, not red anyway), so there's an okay shot of that happening.

At the very least, if K. Rool doesn't have his tail in Smash, you can point to the cartoon as the reason, given that it was his first appearance without one due to animation difficulties.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
You say that as though the kiddy Pokemon anime as a whole is actually good itself. Certain characters like Mewtwo are the only thing that would get people like myself to ever watch it again. Now that Pokemon Origins feature on the other hand, that had Red instead of Ash and is much more identical to the games, that's what I would consider quality.

And hey, the DK cartoon had some alright computer animation for its time, despite being outdated now obviously. As for the thing with the Yeti costume, it does kinda make me ponder now too...
I'm not saying the Pokemon anime is good, by any means. It certainly isn't. What I am saying is that it's official. Not to mention, it's still massively popular all these years later and has greatly shaped the Pokemon brand as a whole. Pikachu says "Pika Pika" in X/Y with its voice from the anime. The Donkey Kong Country cartoon show is as official as the "EXCUUUUUUUUUUSE ME, PRINCESS!" Legend of Zelda cartoon. It was just a quick licensing grab to take advantage of the popularity of DKC at the time.

Vyzor

Smash Journeyman
King K. Rool better be in SSB4. He's been one of my most wanted characters since Melee. If Sakurai doesn't include him, well, **** him.

Top Bottom