• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Ultimately we are entirely assuming that Kosplay Rool being added has ANYTHING to do with the ballot. I don't think it necessarily does in the same way I don't think the Winnie The Pooh outfit does.

This said, if it does then the votes are still the best way to voice our displeasure - but there is a very realistic possibility we are reading too much into it.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Ultimately we are entirely assuming that Kosplay Rool being added has ANYTHING to do with the ballot. I don't think it necessarily does in the same way I don't think the Winnie The Pooh outfit does.

This said, if it does then the votes are still the best way to voice our displeasure - but there is a very realistic possibility we are reading too much into it.
I know what you mean. Some of the costumes were preplanned looking to me, like Lloyd, so I have my doubts the K. Rool costume was because of the ballot. It would make sense that Lloyd was being developed sometime around or before the ballot, and it would make sense that K. Rool was, too. Besides, when did anyone vote for Flying Man to be a playable character? It is not like all the characters that are costumes were voted on much on the ballot, if at all. Plus, Akira and Jacky probably weren't voted on, and they got in as costumes in the last DLC wave. They would probably have been costumes whether or not they were voted on or not.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

I can't see any other reason to make a costume for him other than the ballot. My theory is that he's not going to be a fighter for whatever reason, and this costume is a (poor) way of trying to placate people.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Like I said before, costumes are extremely easy to make and takes littles resources to make, so he can easily answer fan requests early before the ballot ends, like K. Rool for example.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I can't see any other reason to make a costume for him other than the ballot. My theory is that he's not going to be a fighter for whatever reason, and this costume is a (poor) way of trying to placate people.
I mean, it wouldn't be you posting if the message wasn't a downer.

Your theory could work but it assumes a lot - that 2 whole months before the ballot ends, hard deconfirmations will have already been decided and this would have been done and set into motion.

After some time to reflect, I think that the costume is a neutral thing. K Rool has been out of action but he hasn't been dead; he's stayed near the top of the polls and Nintendo (or at least Retro) are categorically aware he's wanted back. The costume could quite easily reflect his preballot support. To say this is just a costume independent of ballot results makes no more assumptions than this being an explicit ballot deconfirmation.

Either way this came at probably the best time it could have. It's sufficiently late that it hasn't affected the landslide of votes he's already received, yet sufficiently early that we still have time to vote more, and such that there's a realistic possibility it is completely independent of the ballot altogether.

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Hello, K. Rool supporters.

I just wanted to drop by and say that when I finally get around to voting, the King has my vote, especially after this... dare I say, unique situation, assuming you/we aren't gratified with his presence beforehand.

In all honesty, though, I don't know how much help it will be, but I'll try, haha.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
"Rare K. Rool as a costume, Paon K. Rool as playable" is the stupidest idea I've heard.
You know, I somewhat agree. I mean they already have these assets, textures, models, etc. for Rare K. Rool, and I'm sure Sakurai made the costume like that for a reason...whether it be fan service or not, so there's no way I could see the costume being more detailed and using the more beloved design over the character itself

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Probably 95% of K. Rool fans (including me) think that the costume is NOT answer to our requests.
Yeah, personally I think the costume is already Sakurai's final judgement on the character, I don't think he'll change his mind even if the fans readdress. It'll be interesting to what the results will be with this readdressing though, more than likely to me at least, he's probably going to answer why K. Rool isn't on the roster or at least clarify how the ballot really works.

Yeah, personally I think the costume is already Sakurai's final judgement on the character, I don't think he'll change his mind even if the fans readdress. It'll be interesting to what the results will be with this readdressing though, more than likely to me at least, he's probably going to answer why K. Rool isn't on the roster or at least clarify how the ballot really works.
Different opinions, I guess.

But honestly, if the Sakurai really thinks that a Mii Costume is enough for the fans, I'm seriously starting to think it's time that someone else took over (that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate Sakurai).

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Different opinions, I guess.

But honestly, if the Sakurai really thinks that a Mii Costume is enough for the fans, I'm seriously starting to think it's time that someone else took over (that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate Sakurai).
It's been a long time coming, honestly. Sakurai has stated before that he hates sequels and we're now on the 4th Smash game.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Answering as many characters as possible through ballot means and making them Mii costumes doesn't seem like disservice to me.
I expect 40+ Mii costumes being used to answer characters from the ballot, it feels like a really good thing to me the more I think about it.

Last edited:
Answering as many characters as possible through ballot means and making them Mii costumes doesn't seem like disservice to me.
I expect 40+ Mii costumes being used to answer characters from the ballot.
When the most popular character requests are answered by Mii costumes, it is disservice, at least to me. Making a popular request just a Mii costume instead of playable character just feels so lazy, maybe even insulting to the fans.

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
Am I missing something? Hang on. I got to check the Direct from April. I want to see something here. I will be right back.

Edit: Oh, okay. They will look at each request and take it into consideration using the ballot. Never once did they say it's by the most votes. I have a feeling folks in here took this out of proportion. We shall wait and see who the ballot winner is. And if it is not K Rool, fine. I am not gonna complain. There is always next time. I am still gonna support K Rool especially towards the end of the ballot. Yet again, I could be wrong.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The costume could quite easily reflect his preballot support.
Yeah, as much as people like to downplay K. Rool's support for the main game, he never stopped being at the top of polls. The team had over two years to take notice of that, surely helped along by the Kremling Kampaign tweeting at Sakurai and Higuchi regularly (which may have even contributed to the ballot itself, with them wanting an outlet for fans to speak up without reporting to social media). This could be a simple reflection on that.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Is Sakurai going to be interviewed in the next issue of Famitsu? Words from the man itself are the thing we need right now to end this Mii madness.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Anyone and everyone can assume whatever they want. We won't actually know what the hell is going on until either K. Rool is confirmed playable or all DLC ends and he's not.

Well, yeah, it is. It reminds me of "Other M Ridley as stage hazard, Super Metroid Ridley as playable".
Oh, the horror.
I expect 40+ Mii costumes being used to answer characters from the ballot, it feels like a really good thing to me the more I think about it.
I highly doubt this. I don't think the characters chosen to be Mii fighters are technically ballot choices. I don't think Chrom and Lloyd were really even notable in the ballot. However, if this were to be the case, I wish they would actually make costumes instead of a K. Rool "hat" and "suit". Because, honestly, that sucks.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I expect 40+ Mii costumes being used to answer characters from the ballot.
"Here's your character! Except they can't use their moves, what you loved about them has been replaced by a robotic exterior with an irritating voice, and you can't use the main online modes with them!"

I think Nintendo needs to learn that very few people appreciate the Miis in this game the way Sakurai expects them to. I initially didn't mind but the more time goes on the more they seem to be a waste of time and ideas to me.

Imagine if the time spent making these Mii costumes had been made making Alts for other characters? The fact they haven't done it baffles me. A good alt for a popular character such as Dry Bowser would sell much better than any Mii Costume ever could.

This said I don't think Kosplay Rool necessarily has anything to do with the ballot. My biggest worry on the impact the costume has is later on when looking at ballot choices he thinks "well they already have a costume". But enough votes in protest should help mitigate this.

Last edited:

IggyKoopa66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keemie
"Rare K. Rool as a costume, Paon K. Rool as playable" is the stupidest idea I've heard.
It's a form of denial. I've seen the same with our Ridley brethren. "The Other M Ridley is a clone! The clone will be the hazard, the original will be playable"

Let's hope we don't suffer the same fate...

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
"Here's your character! Except they can't use their moves, what you loved about them has been replaced by a robotic exterior with an irritating voice, and you can't use the main online modes with them!"

I think Nintendo needs to learn that very few people appreciate the Miis in this game the way he expects them to. I initially didn't mind but the more time goes on the more they seem to be a waste of time and ideas to me.

Imagine if the time spent making these Mii costumes had been made making Alts for other characters? The fact they haven't done it baffles me. A good alt for a popular character such as Dry Bowser would sell much better than any Mii Costume ever could.

This said I don't think Kosplay Rool necessarily has anything to do with the ballot. My biggest worry on the impact the costume has is later on when looking at ballot choices he thinks "well they already have a costume". But enough votes in protest should help mitigate this.
Sakurai for sure would not say that as a reason he added costumes, it's blowing out of proportion.
He is probably highly aware of the reception the Mii costumes are getting, which is why I think it's likely he's going readdress what the ballot is about in specifics.

Lloyd and Chrom are decently supported choices on the ballot, you'd be surprised how many people gave a vote to Chrom after he was deconfirmed. Lloyd himself was the most popular Namco choice in Smash 4, even exceeding Pac-Man in support before E3 2013 began.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Except Ryu, who they put an unprecedented amount of effort into, even so far as giving him classic fighter based inputs.

I don't think Sakurai would be this enthusiastic about fan service but reassuring he can only do a couple more characters if he literally has no way to actually crank out anything more than veterans and mii outfits.

Edit: Officially 23 hours since the last update. I don't know if they have exact timing for these releases or not but we'll find out soon enough.
Ryu was pre ballot but yes i agree.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Lloyd and Chrom are decently supported choices on the ballot, you'd be surprised how many people gave a vote to Chrom after he was deconfirmed. Lloyd himself was the most popular Namco choice in Smash 4, even exceeding Pac-Man in support before E3 2013 began.
I agree they are decently supported in the ballot.

Lloyd while popular in no way had higher support than Pac-Man. Sure, there were a lot of detractors, but there were far more supporters. They were even at best.

What baffles me is, as noted, these 3 characters were at their highest point of popularity (arguably) before release of the games. Chrom for the Gematsu leak. Lloyd for the Namco rep. K. Rool for, well, always being popular. These costumes could have actually been pre-planned. Lloyd's popularity has dropped considerably since pre-release and most notably since Pac-Man's reveal; Chrom's popularity dropped off after Robin was revealed and never really picked back up; interestingly enough K. Rool is the only exception here, his support has been ongoing since pre-release and continues to rise as we go.

It's an interesting situation that has been put on us, indeed.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

Lloyd while popular in no way had higher support than Pac-Man. Sure, there were a lot of detractors, but there were far more supporters. They were even at best.

What baffles me is, as noted, these 3 characters were at their highest point of popularity (arguably) before release of the games. Chrom for the Gematsu leak. Lloyd for the Namco rep. K. Rool for, well, always being popular. These costumes could have actually been pre-planned. Lloyd's popularity has dropped considerably since pre-release and most notably since Pac-Man's reveal; Chrom's popularity dropped off after Robin was revealed and never really picked back up; interestingly enough K. Rool is the only exception here, his support has been ongoing since pre-release and continues to rise as we go.

Lloyd support hasn't dropped really, it's just not as notable as before. But it doesn't mean he's less voted. It's still decent enough to get Sakurai's attention.

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace

Indeed, now that I think about it, it's very likely these costumes were planned before the ballot. The costume, as I said before, likely means nothing in relation to the ballot. I hate to be the poor guy at Nintendo who's having to deal with all this though.

"All we did was release a Mii Fighter costume!"

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
You know what makes me scared about this Mii costume? The possibility that Sakurai just doesn't see King K. Rool as a Nintendo all-star worthy of fighting alongside Bowser, Ganondorf or King Dedede. Because besides possibly Inkling (who I think is not going to be in due to being a potential technical nightmare moveset-wise) and obviously Link, all other Mii outfit DLC costumes had been characters who honestly are disposable for SSB4 with their exclusion not being too much of a big deal overall (more Mega Man and Animal Crossing characters, third-parties definitely not at the same level as those who actually are playable, and "deconfirmed" characters). And I'd feel insulted if Sakurai thought that K. Rool is disposable enough to be put at the same level as these before the ballot officially closes, and that it would be enough from Sakurai's perspective to do justice to him.

I mean, even though I'd love to see Rayman playable, I honestly thinks he's very disposable for Smash standards and it's not going to be a big deal for me if Sakurai judges him unworthy of being a fighter. As such I wouldn't mind a Mii fighter costume of him. I would be okay with Wonder Red being a Mii Brawler skin as well; The Wonderful 101 admittedly wasn't that much of a influent title in the long run. King K. Rool, on the other hand, is the kind of character I'd expect to see in Smash for his star power alone, and that's why I'm going to be mad if this costume is going to be enough to represent him.

I don't think K. Rool needs to be playable per se, I just don't think he deserves to be acknowledged as a disposable character. If there are other reasons why K. Rool isn't playable, like Sakurai wanting to do other characters instead, or not liking the idea of King K. Rool using the blunderbuss or helicopter pack or something (which could be possible considering he did separate Mario and Dr. Mario because he didn't like the idea of both having the exact same moveset), or having technical difficulties preventing him to make it in, I'm honestly going to be fine with it. But King K. Rool being downright acknowledged as a lower-tier Nintendo character not worthy of being playable? Sorry, no.

Besides, I'm not going to buy it, but that's because I never buy Mii costumes anyway.

Last edited:

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
Indeed, now that I think about it, it's very likely these costumes were planned before the ballot. The costume, as I said before, likely means nothing in relation to the ballot. I hate to be the poor guy at Nintendo who's having to deal with all this though.
"All we did was release a Mii Fighter costume!"
They had to know that they were playing with fire by releasing a mii fighter costume of one of the highest requested characters from the ballot though, right?

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Sakurai has shown such ignorance over Donkey Kong it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he sees K. Rool as being too big.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
I'd just like to go on record saying that I really dislike mii fighters as a whole, completely ignoring the K.Rool costume.
Way too many resources and far too much time has been spent on them.

All the development time that was spent creating 3 separate Mii character classes, all of their custom moves, and all of their costumes could have been spent improving other areas of the game.

Custom fighters in fighting games aren't inherently bad, but I feel like the way they were executed in Smash was a huge waste of time. Nobody bothers playing as them because they can't be used online, and the costumes they're being given are cheap ways to "include characters" that didn't make it onto the roster.

I feel like the entire customization aspect of Smash 4 is really un-needed. It was a nice attempt to do something new, but I really won't miss custom moves/parts if they don't return in future Smash games.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Sakurai has shown such ignorance over Donkey Kong it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he sees K. Rool as being too big.
Now, Ridley really wasn't too big.

He just looks like a resurrected chicken carcass from hell.

Way too disproportionate.

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Too big? One would be lucky to acquire such magnificent girth as the King has :p.

I'm just trying to stay positive, at this point, haha. It will take a lot harder proof to bring this guy down!

Last edited:
Top Bottom