• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Eureka

Smash Ace
I think we can all agree that the Mii Fighter costume does not mean anything for King K. Rool's chances in the ballot. However, I do think this does indicate the fact that Nintendo does not have any plans as for K. Rool as DLC. Although people have been pointing out the fact that the pieces of the costume are distinct from his trophy, I think that has more to do with the fact that they could not simply bring parts of his trophy over for a Mii's proportions. So they made the costume from the ground up, and decided to go with the more famous design. I don't think they took pieces from a model of a playable character.

Please don't get me wrong though, you guys still have just as much as a shot in the ballot. What this does mean though is that you probably won't be catching a break like the Roy and Ryu fans did. I could be completely wrong, but it seems K. Rool is getting in through the ballot or not at all.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I only visit Etika's channel for sources.
Not the 6 minute **** screaming to a probably fake leak.

At least Sakurai isn't going to target Captain Toad next. Right? :sadeyes:
Let's hope the best for the Tracker Toad

The thing that makes me suspicious of option one is the design. Imagine:

Namco Guy: "K. Rool's getting a ton of votes!"

Sakurai: "WTF! Why are they voting for Crocodile Bowser and not Darker Pit?? I'll never add that PoS character into Smash as long as I live. Now go faithfully and beautifully recreate the 15-year-old design his fans love as a costume and call it a day."

Namco Guy: "Right away, your highness."
Sakurai: "But not the gem, I want it blue because I don't wanna be lazy on this nobody."

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The video is even better.
He sees my tweet and is like "WHOA HERE IT IS!"
Then he clicks on the picture and gets the most dead, unamused look in his face and just stares at the camera for like 2 seconds.
Link to the video?

I'd love to see someone like that fall victim to a prank.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Are there any straws left to grasp? Let's find out...
All of them. Despite our exhaustive efforts to be reasonable, the haters are going to claim that we're "just like Ridley" anyway and downvote you on Reddit if you try arguing to the contrary, so might as well have fun with it.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The video is even better.
He sees my tweet and is like "WHOA HERE IT IS!"
Then he clicks on the picture and gets the most dead, unamused look in his face and just stares at the camera for like 2 seconds.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
BTW, regarding K. Rool's pre-ballot popularity.

Here are graphs of polls from SmashBoards results leading up to the release of Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS. Made these when we were #KRool4Smash4. I was stupid and lazy and only plotted K. Rool against confirmed characters (which is why Wii Fit trainer is high, she was confirmed by the 2013-2014 poll!) and the Gematsu characters. I think I was trying to prove a point.

I'm having trouble bringing up the results page on Smashboadrds. Maybe someone else knows the link.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Still have a feeling this attention will cause K Rool to "win" the ballot easily. However, I have no idea if the "winner" means they become playable.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Well, now I know to stay off that channel. Forever. Thank you!
Yeah, the only reason he's notable is because Sakurai apparently found his reaction to Mewtwo hilarious, and retweeted it on his official Twitter.

After that, people started praising him like some kind of god.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
All this talk about the other Great King makes me once again have a little hope for the situation of having a "Triple Trouble King" event.
They REALLY missed out on a great potential event match with K.Rool.

-You play as Diddy
-Opponent is K.Rool with high percentage at the start of the match
-Stage is Boxing Ring
-You are unable to damage K.Rool using anything other than the falling lights at the top of the stage, and that is how you have to KO him

It's literally exactly how you fight him during the Diddy phase of the final boss in DK64. Dropping lights on K.Rool in a boxing ring as Diddy.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Also, check out entry #9 in FischHead's Kremling Kompendium: King K. Rool himself! Or what seems to be K. Rool in the past. Here's FischHead's headcanon:

What are your thoughts on K. Rool's history? Was he always a bad guy? Why does he hate the Kongs so much? All the official sources seem pretty ambiguous on these points, so as usual, I got busy brainstorming a loose bio for the King. Our favorite reptile was somewhat of a war hero in his earlier years, and the rest of the Kremlings revolted against their previous leader to put K. Rool on the throne. He was loved by all the Kremlings, and even his bulging left eye which he earned in battle, couldn't scare people away. The new King led his people through a decade of prosperity until the day he read about a mysterious power connected to bananas. This, of course was a mistranslated passage of an ancient text that actually referred to the Banana Birds of the Northern Kremisphere. The Kremlings wouldn't discover this fact until much later, and in the meantime, K. Rool was busy planning a raid on the largest known source of bananas, Kong Island. His new lust for power turned into hatred for the Kongs, and disrespect for his own people. The allure of the legend had taken hold of him, causing him to lose mental stability and even exhibit multiple personalities. Some of the Kremlings chose to follow their King out of fear or complacency, while others shared his newfound greed and insanity. The Kremling people used to joke about their monarch's unfortunate name, but in these troubled times, they don't joke about much at all. (cue Robin Hood's "Not in Nottingham" music)
Their series seeks to illustrate every Kremling ever! Check out any you may have missed.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The thing that makes me suspicious of option one is the design. Imagine:

Namco Guy: "K. Rool's getting a ton of votes!"

Sakurai: "WTF! Why are they voting for Crocodile Bowser and not Darker Pit?? I'll never add that PoS character into Smash as long as I live. Now go faithfully and beautifully recreate the 15-year-old design his fans love as a costume and call it a day."

Namco Guy: "Right away, your highness."
If this were true, Sakurai better not mention the bolded bit in public, or he might not live long after it.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
That would be a really stinkin' cool backstory, actually... A revered warrior and beloved leader gone insane in a lust for power.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The DLC's so far were being worked on during and/or after Smash4.

Which means creating a character takes awhile. Sakurai said about a year with balancing. While I bet that time is shorter because only characters are being worked on (well, with costumes and stages), characters still take awhile.

But that does not mean models are not complete. So alter the model into a Mii costume and there ya go.

Send out the costume first so people will buy that thinking the character will not appear.

Then release the character and watch the money flow like water.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
"Rare K. Rool as a costume, Paon K. Rool as playable" is the stupidest idea I've heard.
Agreed. There's no way Paon K. Rool will be playable after they make Rare K. Rool a costume. If anything, Rare K. Rool is a tease that they ripped apart an actual Rare K. Rool model to make the costume, with K. Rool fully coming later (with his Rare design). There's no way in hell we're getting Paon K. Rool later. Its Rare K. Rool or nothing.

Eureka

Smash Ace

Which means creating a character takes awhile. Sakurai said about a year with balancing. While I bet that time is shorter because only characters are being worked on (well, with costumes and stages), characters still take awhile.

But that does not mean models are not complete. So alter the model into a Mii costume and there ya go.

Send out the costume first so people will buy that thinking the character will not appear.

Speaking of making money, that's kinda the genius of the ballot. The Smash Fighter Ballot is a lot like a Kickstarter for a DLC character, minus people giving Nintendo money. Think about it, the ballot tells them exactly what character players will buy as DLC. Then they just need to make the character, and poof, EZ money. Not only that, but it will also give them valuable data on what peoples perception of the characters are, and give them ideas to work with outside of the winners.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman

The thing about Smash character DLC is that most people are going to buy it no matter who it is.
There are VERY few characters that I can think of that I wouldn't buy.

Unlike the mii costumes, the characters are pretty damn significant. As long as they have the money for it, I don't see why anyone wouldn't buy every character that gets released.

Eureka

Smash Ace
The thing about Smash character DLC is that most people are going to buy it no matter who it is.

Unlike the mii costumes, the characters are pretty damn significant. As long as they have the money for it, I don't see why anyone wouldn't buy every character that gets released.
I don't know, a lot of players don't really care to play as some of the DLC characters. I myself haven't bought Lucas, because I know I won't play as him much.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

I haven't bought Roy or Lucas. I doubt I am the only one. A reddit poll which will consist of people who care enough to find it had each character only being bought by about 80% of people. That number will drop significantly as you get to people who are less interested overall.

Granted, every character will sell but some will definitely sell more than others.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
I haven't bought Roy or Lucas. I doubt I am the only one. A reddit poll which will consist of people who care enough to find it had each character only being bought by about 80% of people. That number will drop significantly as you get to people who are less interested overall.

Granted, every character will sell but some will definitely sell more than others.
Huh, I actually didn't know that.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
So can someone explain how a costume explicitly deconfirms a character?

Can someone explain how people keep assuming the poll is over?

This logic is the same as the "Metaknight deconfirmed logic"

Eureka

Smash Ace
So can someone explain how a costume explicitly deconfirms a character?

Can someone explain how people keep assuming the poll is over?

This logic is the same as the "Metaknight deconfirmed logic"
People like being right.

People like being right before other people are right.

People jump to conclusions.

People are then wrong.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Because those are veterans which means the shared principle is magically different?

Alternatively, because it is a bit of wishful thinking to think the reveal would go the same way, but that's no reason to brush it off entirely.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
King Brawler

B: Kannonball Toss
K. Rool throws a Kannonball

Side B: Onslaught
K. Rool takes his crown and dashes forward while slashing.

Up B: Scarring Split
K. Rool jumps up high and then kicks opponents

Down B: Headbutt
K. Rool jumps up and headbutts opponents on the way down,
I'm just gonna bring this back.

Top Bottom