• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
That doesn't really kill the relevance argument, more than likely they added the costume because of demand. I'd wait for an actual non-retro newcomer before saying that it's the case.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
So, the best course of action right now would be to resubmit our votes for the King and state that we want him as a character, not a costume?

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
That doesn't really kill the relevance argument, more than likely they added the costume because of demand. I'd wait for an actual non-retro newcomer before saying that it's the case.
K Rool is hardly retro.

Besides, the argument is that K Rool isn't important to Nintendo, was irrelevant and they weren't going to use him. Now they've trademarked him and are demonstrably using him, albeit as a costume. How is that argument not dead and buried?

So, the best course of action right now would be to resubmit our votes for the King and state that we want him as a character, not a costume?
Pretty much; it's certainly the only avenue with a chance of getting stuff done.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Donkey Kong Country was the first game I ever played. So the Kroc King getting in Smash would mean a lot to me. I'm hoping with the rest of you that this is a sign of things to come rather than the end.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
It will be officially dead when K. Rool gets in DKCR3, a major role will help him immensely.This is not to offend anyone, but I thought I would bring it up because I do not necessarily think it makes the argument dead.

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I've already talked about it in the general DLC character thread, but I think it may be very possible that Nintendo created a list of characters they thought would be fitting choices for DLCs, made all the announcers calls for them at the same time they did the ones for pre-ballot characters (so it would be more practical to reuse those already used clips later rather than calling the voice actors back every time they add a new character, at the cost of having several unused voice clips), and that anyone outside of that list would literally be a no-hoper no matter how hard the fanbase is pushing for them.

What if... King K. Rool wasn't in this predetermined list of characters and that they were caught off-guard by how dedicated the K. Rool support had been? It would suck if Nintendo was oblivious about his popularity before the ballot, though.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
K Rool is hardly retro.

Besides, the argument is that K Rool isn't important to Nintendo, was irrelevant and they weren't going to use him. Now they've trademarked him and are demonstrably using him, albeit as a costume. How is that argument not dead and buried?

I doubt Nintendo doesn't know that.
Based on the way Sakurai spoke of the Namco/Tekken costumes from last time, he at least seems to legitimately think that costumes are a way to satisfy fans of a character..."anyone can join the battle!" Not to mention how, based on Ridley and all those second-stringers that got relegated to Assist Trophy duty, he seems to be of the opinion that "any appearance at all will satisfy fans of a character, even if it's not playable."

He may need enlightening via a few hundred votes with fans voicing their opinions to the contrary.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yeah, of course. Nintendo sanctions a kostume with a design that hasn't been seen since the N64 days because fans demand it, K. Rool is still irrelevant.

If he was truly irrelevant, Nintendo wouldn't kare enough to include it.

If people klaim K. Rool is still irrelevant, they're evidently keen to disregard the evidence right in front of them.

I physically klapped.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
ah.. on a sidenote; I'm looking to the Mii Costume, and I'm amazed how they handled the Rare design in the Smash4 artstyle;.. actually, fits perfectly; And I never thought that I'd see this old look in a game again. It's great.
I'm can't wait to see his model AS PLAYABLE now; (but I'll miss his claws in the hands, but it's for a greater good :p).

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
As a Ridley fan, I just want to encourage the whole K. Rool/Kremling community to stick together and keep pulling hard for the King! I watched in horror the aftermath when Ridley was revealed to be just a stage boss. Other fan bases jumped hard on the back of Ridley fans and pushed many of them back into the closet, so to speak. There's still a fairly large group of us Ridley fans who support him but my point is, he and his fanbase definitely took a hit after the October Direct. And I would say it's part Sakurai's creative choices, but also largely because of the negativity and downright meanness directed at Ridley fans after he was deconfirmed.

DON'T let them bully you, guys. A lot of us Ridley fans are pulling for the King with you, and I know I'll do what I can do support him and all of you (tons of other Ridley fans, as evidenced here, are/and will too).

Keep fighting for the King. Keep letting Nintendo know that he isn't a relic from the past and absolutely deserves to be a playable character in either this Smash, or the inevitable next one.

Let the words of his detractors be 'water off a duck's back', and keep looking forward.

The costume's a good start, and a HUGE testament to the love and care you all have for the King. Let's keep the train rolling!

From a Ridley fan, to all of you.

Last edited:

TheBazry64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBazry64
I've already talked about it in the general DLC character thread, but I think it may be very possible that Nintendo created a list of characters they thought would be fitting choices for DLCs, made all the announcers calls for them at the same time they did the ones for pre-ballot characters (so it would be more practical to reuse those already used clips later rather than calling the voice actors back every time they add a new character, at the cost of having several unused voice clips), and that anyone outside of that list would literally be a no-hoper no matter how hard the fanbase is pushing for them.

What if... King K. Rool wasn't in this predetermined list of characters and that they were caught off-guard by how dedicated the K. Rool support had been? It would suck if Nintendo was oblivious about his popularity before the ballot, though.
For me it is hard to believe that Nintendo wouldn't know about his popularity, when Retro Studios were aware of it.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Yeah I get the irrelevance. In terms of VC and stuff, that certain makes him relevant if we are talking about entirety of relevancy. But within the mainline DKC games right now, it doesn't seem to be the case, I think that's what take into consideration the most, especially with the past Mario newcomer additions we had in Smash 4 like Rosalina and Bowser Jr, who had consistent importance within the Nario franchise.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Dying hope, but hope nonetheless...

Considering we were having a debate about which design to use....this could be a way to appease everyone...?
I totally disagree with this notion. Who cares what K. Rool's current trophy is? No, if K. Rool ends up playable, he'll use the Rare model and they made the Mii Fighter from that model. There's no way they'll give us K. Rool's Paon design and his Rare design as a Mii costume. (Then again, I never expected a K. Rool mii costume at all; it was either K. Rool is playable or he gets nothing.)

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman

Considering we were having a debate about which design to use....this could be a way to appease everyone...?
Reminds me of how the Link Mii costume is the Skyward Sword design for Link, while Link's actual design in Smash 4 is mostly based off of his Twilight Princess design. If the costume used K. Rool's Rare design, I would be a lot more concerned. But the Rare design gives me the impression that K. Rool is not out of the race yet

oinkers12

Smash Apprentice
I wonder, if this does deconfirm the king, who would even be at the top of Sakurai's list? King K. Rool is the only character (aside from initial 3rd party hype) that actually got media attention. Isaac, Bandanna Dee, and Dixie are probably high on the list but who would be the big winner? K. Rool was the only one that stuck out in that big of a way. I feel like it would be a disservice to not include the one ballot contender that attracted 130+ people to our support thread.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Does anyone remember how Meta Knight's Costume was reveled?
As I recall, he was revealed in a Pic of the Day alongside the Samus helmet.

Couple of days later, Meta Knight's "CHALLENGER APPROACHING!" banner popped up on the site.

Yeah I get the irrelevance. In terms of VC and stuff, that certain makes him relevant. But within the mainline DKC games right now, it doesn't seem to be the case, I think that's what take into consideration the most, especially with the past Mario newcomer additions we had in Smash 4 like Rosalina and Bowser Jr, who had consistent importance within the Nario franchise.
Nario confermed fur Smesh Bras. :troll:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I totally disagree with this notion. Who cares what K. Rool's current trophy is? No, if K. Rool ends up playable, he'll use the Rare model and they made the Mii Fighter from that model. There's no way they'll give us K. Rool's Paon design and his Rare design as a Mii costume. (Then again, I never expected a K. Rool mii costume at all; it was either K. Rool is playable or he gets nothing.)
I'm pretty sure the Link costume for Mii is using the Skyward Sword design instead of Twilight Princess.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Did you guys ever think Sakurai is trolling us? That's what he is. Mii Costume tells us Nintendo has not forgot about the King :ness:
It would be just like Sakurai to have a Skin and the Character.

Is Friday going to be a direct?

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
"I voted for K. Rool already, but now he's been confirmed as a Mii Costume. I for one don't like the Mii Fighters. I don't like the movesets. I wanted to see King K. Rool fully fleshed out as his own character. Not a costume swap for a character I can't use online. As a very recognizable character and villain with so many moveset ideas, K. Rool deserves his own slot on the roster."

Revoted for K. Rool on the ballot. I suggest you all do the same and express wanting him as a character.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
"I voted for K. Rool already, but now he's been confirmed as a Mii Costume. I for one don't like the Mii Fighters. I don't like the movesets. I wanted to see King K. Rool fully fleshed out as his own character. Not a costume swap for a character I can't use online. As a very recognizable character and villain with so many moveset ideas, K. Rool deserves his own slot on the roster."

Revoted for K. Rool on the ballot. I suggest you all do the same and express wanting him as a character.
Absolutely.
As a matter of fact, I considered breaking my personal rule of voting only for my most wanted (Midna) just to vote for the King, possibly with the description "THIS IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH".

StormC

Smash Hero
If we don't at least get Dixie out of this mess, Sakurai has truly lost his touch.

domokl

Smash Lord
I still really don't get how you see the most voted ballot charachter and go"oh man lets put him in as a costume that nobody will use anyway!" I really hope sakurai has an explanation and I think revoting for k rool might be futile if he missed it the first time.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I still really don't get how you see the most voted ballot charachter and go"oh man lets put him in as a costume that nobody will use anyway!" I really hope sakurai has an explanation and I think revoting for k rool might be futile if he missed it the first time.
It might be, but it is guaranteed to have better results than arguing on a forum about it and takes less time.

Seriously, if you want K Rool it takes less time to go put a protest vote in than to say "I don't think one will work" and it certainly won't put him in a worse position.

Morbi

Scavenger
I just saw the news, to be quite honest, I was utterly disturbed. I have been pulling for Wolf, but I have not voted since the ballot opened. If revotes count, I am going to vote for the King. To be fair, his inclusion as a costume does not negate his chances as a fighter, but that is the impression I am left with. I really hope we get to see him in Smash 4.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm waiting until Friday comes and passes to revote.

You just...never know, right?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Based on the way Sakurai spoke of the Namco/Tekken costumes from last time, he at least seems to legitimately think that costumes are a way to satisfy fans of a character..."anyone can join the battle!" Not to mention how, based on Ridley and all those second-stringers that got relegated to Assist Trophy duty, he seems to be of the opinion that "any appearance at all will satisfy fans of a character, even if it's not playable."

He may need enlightening via a few hundred votes with fans voicing their opinions to the contrary.
It certainly can't hurt! :)

I'm not going to send in another vote, but do as you all wish.

condolences ... that's such kick to the rear.
It's not over until we've debated it, argued, cried, and cursed Sakurai a couple of dozen time.

A confirmation would be better though.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

I know you still supporting

For the if he was playable and stick with most modern design and the retro suit makes it impossible theory

Wrong again doubters

Namco want it to be ghostly adventures design pac-man in smash 4 but sakurai refused due to not being a popular design at all

He would only let pac-man in if it was his most classic he can get (best description is pac-man world 2 design)

And part of it was he knew what design the fans prefered

So the design of king k rool if playable could be his old retro is possible.
(Beside the retro king k rool has more scales and more crocodile like than the 2007 king k rool)

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I may have sakrificed my vote for Ridley in order to lend support to the King in these dire times.

Here's what I wrote:
Although there's already a K.Rool costume in the works, I'd much rather have him become a full DLC fighter, as the Mii Brawler does not represent K.Rool's potential as a fighter.

Many people want to see K.Rool in Smash, and honestly if the point of the ballot is to collect fan opinion, what better way to show it than by putting in the heavy-hitting characters like K.Rool? If not in Smash, than at the very least could we have the King of the Kremlings in Skylanders? Just any sort of modern appearance would appease us, but please consider making K.Rool an actual DLC fighter for this game.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Does it make a difference?
Well, by then I'll have downloaded the costume so I can better express my opinion, for one.

Plus I have the paranoid fear that a knee jerk reaction will make Nintendo less willing to listen.

NintendoAlike

Smash Cadet
Wow Nintendo...most voted Nintendo newcomer and you make him a Mii Fighter costume.
This isn't what we wanted.
I mean...I am not going to lie, I have never felt so disappointed in a long while.
I am redoing my vote just now to state I don't need a costume.

Top Bottom