• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Either way, when talking Nintendo villains, I think Porky and Ridley are among the most vile of Nintendo's all-star villain lineup. One is by and far the most manipulative and the other is just a blood thirsty space savage.

Bowser's an interesting case. He can be either flat out evil or even a grumpy rival and sometimes begrudging ally. K. Rool is more evil than Bowser in a sense that he wanted to exterminate the Kongs once through starvation and another time through just brute force. Never once has he considered to ally with the Kongs or think of anything more of them than an obstacle to be destroyed.

Big thing that separates Bowser and K. Rool. Bowser plots to best Mario, K. Rool wants to kill the Kongs. I'd rank K. Rool higher than Bowser but less than Ganondorf, and Ridley probably at the top of the most vile, if not second only to Porky for being truly the biggest **** in the Nintendo-verse.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Porky is a very tragic character though. Unlike most villains, you actually see him constantly succumbing to darker and darker temptations and change from a petty prankster to very messed up monster. Combine that with his abusive parents, and it's a little too close to real life... it's frightening.

:231:

Last edited:

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Either way, when talking Nintendo villains, I think Porky and Ridley are among the most vile of Nintendo's all-star villain lineup. One is by and far the most manipulative and the other is just a blood thirsty space savage.

Bowser's an interesting case. He can be either flat out evil or even a grumpy rival and sometimes begrudging ally. K. Rool is more evil than Bowser in a sense that he wanted to exterminate the Kongs once through starvation and another time through just brute force. Never once has he considered to ally with the Kongs or think of anything more of them than an obstacle to be destroyed.

Big thing that separates Bowser and K. Rool. Bowser plots to best Mario, K. Rool wants to kill the Kongs. I'd rank K. Rool higher than Bowser but less than Ganondorf, and Ridley probably at the top of the most vile, if not second only to Porky for being truly the biggest **** in the Nintendo-verse.
Yeah King K. Rool is just mean af to those poor monkey. :[ And Ridley is as savage as an aspiring artist's mixtape.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Porky is a very tragic character though. Unlike most villains, you actually see him constantly succumbing to darker and darker temptations and change from a petty prankster to very messed up monster. Combine that with his abusive parents, and it's a little too close to real life... it's frightening.

Totally agree, Porky definitely is the most "real" Nintendo villain. I'd love to see him in smash bros next to our King.

Still, Porky is a villain originating from RPG games. it's just natural for him to have more of a backstory and development than a villain from a platformer. It's just the way things go :-)

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, I feel like Porky is a very Japanese-oriented villain. He represents the overbearing influence of western culture; greed, gluttony, imperialism, capitalism, and placation of the masses via entertainment. He's the scariest Nintendo villain because he's much more real than an immortal pig demon and sadistic space dragon.

Ganondorf is more evil overall, but at the very least, he can be reasoned with on some level, looking at the Subspace Emissary. K. Rool would rather die than ally with the Kongs.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Yeah, I feel like Porky is a very Japanese-oriented villain. He represents the overbearing influence of western culture; greed, gluttony, imperialism, capitalism, and placation of the masses via entertainment. He's the scariest Nintendo villain because he's much more real than an immortal pig demon and sadistic space dragon.

Ganondorf is more evil overall, but at the very least, he can be reasoned with on some level, looking at the Subspace Emissary. K. Rool would rather die than ally with the Kongs.
So that explains why K. Rool disappears after Sluggers. O.o

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Thank you for spoiling the game for me that i am currently playing through for the first time and loving it.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Bowser has too many cases of helping the Mario Bros. out to ignore, honestly. Also his comical appearances in the RPGs are arguably more popular than his core Mario appearances.
He probably straddles the border between the first two categories.

Actually, I should probably rank the villains as to how I perceive them.

• Psychopathic::4villager:Sorry
  • The undisputed 'King of Evil':4ganondorf:
  • Evil, but not to that extent::4bowser:

• Not terrible but never caring::4bowserjr:
  • Same but pettier::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:
  • Misguided, but still uncaring::4mewtwo:
  • Kleptomaniac hero::4wario2:
  • Personal Rivals: :wolf::4darkpit:
  • "Did what had to"::rob::4metaknight:
  • In name only::4dedede::4wario::4bowser:(in RPGs)

We gonna need a another level for this bad Mo_Fo

sc_metroid_v01_ch010_050.png

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

This is the reason why the MOTHER series is so great in general. :ness:

And the fleshing out of villains in RPG games in Nintendo games I also think that with it's deep cast and King K.Rool as it's main villain, a DKC RPG could work extremely beautifully. I even recall someone from DKVine having a concept of a sort of game I always envisioned.

With DK also appearing in Skylanders, am just thinking that Nintendo is trying to experiment with the Kong more and more. So I'd really like it if Skylander's DK was a sort of appetizer for what's to come... Which am hoping is at the very least Diddy Kong Racing 2. But the way DK fights also awakens a fantasy for a 3D action DKC game, or a Beat-Em-Up with the Kong Family. Or an action-orientated RPG in a similar style to Mario & Luigi? Those are some directions I'd really like Donkey Kong to go after an eventual DKC Returns with King K.Rool.

Nintendo IS doing a lot of spin-offs lately... So I'd really like DK to join the fun for once. :4dk::4diddy:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
This discussion of villains reminds me of this brief treatise I wrote a while ago in this very thread. Hold on while I dredge it up!

I think there are different types of villains to be considered in this respect. In brief, how I would interpret them:

The Madman

This villain is in it, to borrow a colloquial expression, for the lulz. They'll murder, cheat, steal and torture and won't think twice about stabbing somebody in the eye socket because it seems funny at the time. Utterly devoid of morals and crazy to a terrifying degree, they laugh at the hero's misfortune and treat everything like one big joke that only they seem to get. They love what they do and do it because they find wanton murder and chaos to be their idea of a good time. They exist to cause trouble and they live to make things that little bit bloodier and more amusing for themselves. In spite of their heinous deeds, they're eminently charismatic and you can't help but break into a smile and laugh along with them, even as they set fire to orphanages and drown puppies for the hell of it. Bad to the bone they may be, but they've got style, and they're just so much fun to watch.

See: Hades, Metal Face

The Dark Lord

The epitome of the term "big bad", this villain is cold, ruthless, rational and utterly awe-inspiring. They inspire fear and respect in all that behold them, and none dare stand before their overwhelming might: those that do are trampled underfoot and ground to dust beneath their heel, and woe betide anybody who thinks they can challenge their godly fury and magnificent power. They usually have a desire to rule their respective world and will stop at nothing to achieve their goals - such petty concepts as good and evil have no place in their worldview, a perspective borne of blood and tempered with flames of the darkest black. Their will is unbendable, their dedication unfaltering; this villain is the true lord of darkness, a foe worthy of standing proud as the greatest threat to the hero and manifesting the concept of a final boss.

See: Ganondorf, Nergal

The Tragedian

A villain of circumstance rather than choice, this villain has no desire to be the bad guy, but fate has other plans for them. Thrust into a role not of their own volition, but of the cruel whims of destiny, they must carry out their part in a deadly narrative and meet their untimely end at the hand of the hero. And for what purpose? Nobody can say for sure; this villain is just a pawn of their own unfortunate setting, a tragic entity forced to do evil things for reasons that they did not choose nor want to carry out in the first instance. They may be drawn into a terrible situation against their will and have to do evil things to make the world right again, or they may be so corrupted by hatred and malice that the darkness is all they know. Either way, this is a villain that, in another world, could have been a hero or a friend - a villain that you will no doubt feel just a little bit sorry for killing, and whose soul-stirring tears and scorned tale will make you wonder if there could have been any other way.

See: Count Bleck, Mewtwo

The Psycho

What's so different between this villain and The Madman? Well, for starters, this villain isn't funny - and if they are, it's not in the ironic, self-conscious way that The Madman is. This villain is vindictive, merciless, malicious and cruel - and that's just their job description! This villain's motivation is simple: hate. They hate the hero, they hate everything they stand for, they hate them for ruining their schemes and they hate them just for being them. They will stop at nothing to destroy the hero, to tear them apart, to make their life a living hell and to watch them suffer for their own demented sense of pleasure. This villain is just as prone to theatrics and flamboyance as The Madman, of course, and sometimes you'll even find yourself laughing at their incessantly cruel nature; but really, it's more of a nervous laugh, a brief moment of shock and awe at just how singularly insane and ruthlessly devoted they can be. Whereas The Madman thinks the world would be a better place if there were more blood and guts being spilled by their own wicked hand, this villain doesn't care about causing chaos for its own sake and doesn't want others to laugh at them: they just want to kill the hero, and damn anything that gets in their way. This villain is cruel and utterly, insanely dedicated to that cruelty, and when they set their mind on something, you'd better hope it's not you they're coming after.

See: K. Rool, Ridley

The Bully

This villain is...well, not really much of a villain at all, honestly. They're more so a villain in spirit than anything else: a bit boisterous, a bit rude, they may even try to take over the world or kidnap a princess or two - but they're not really serious about it. Well, okay, maybe they're serious about it - but take one look at their bumbling antics and hilarious shenanigans and you'll forget that they're supposed to be the bad guy. Sometimes, if an even greater threat looms before them, they'll even form a temporary alliance with the hero to save the day. Of course, it's straight back to business as usual after that, but it at least demonstrates that they're not so bad after all. Don't let the clumsy demeanour and silly gags deceive you, though: this villain can be quite deadly when they want to be, and just because they keep getting beaten doesn't mean they're not capable of holding their own or that they won't be back. What they lack in common sense, they more than make up for in tenacity and determination. Win or lose, you've not seen the last of them: they'll be ready and waiting next time with some even bigger plan and even wilder scheme, and they won't stop until they've finally proved themselves as the top villain.

See: Bowser, King Dedede

The Rival

The least villainous of all the different types, this villain isn't actually a villain at all. They're antagonistic and oppose the hero, sure, but that's just because it's their job: they'll fight the hero to the depths of hell and back, but they'd just as easily come to their aid if they had to. More of an anti-hero than anything else, they oppose the hero not out of hatred or malice, but because it's convenient or because it's more fun that way. More often than not, they really do want the hero to succeed, and they see their constant clashes as a way of training them and helping them carry out their noble deeds. Even if they do really want to beat the hero, it's nothing personal: they're irrevocably intertwined, you can't have one without the other, and when push comes to shove, who knows you better than your rival?

See: Wolf O'Donnell, Blue

In hindsight, there are a few characters conspicuously absent (I'd include Porky and Dark Pit in this list, for example), and most importantly, you will have to remember that these aren't hard-and-fast categories: a good villain mixes and matches elements of different personae to create a more dynamic and rounded character. I'd argue K. Rool has elements of The Psycho, The Madman, The Bully and The Dark Lord depending on the nature of the game!

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Well, there was that one time Bowser was fighting the bad guys in that one Super Mario RPG, and was even playable and on Mario's team in Super Paper Mario so there's that.

Edit: But yeah, I'd still consider Bowser, Jr, and Ganondorf as the only true "villains" of the cast, just not necessarily the only antagonists.
I dont think we are couting spin of games M&L Series/Paper Mario's

@ dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10 i definitely agree that K.Rool is more evil than Bowser

I always said that i kinda saw K.Rool as a more serious and more smarter bowser.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I remember seeing K. Rool described as a genius compared to Bowser, but an insane and out-of-touch one, whereas Bowser's more of a brute, but is more down-to-earth and would laugh at K. Rool for being the mayor of crazy town or something. It's a great contrast and I'd love to see them interact in a game with dialogue someday, especially since they have bad chemistry according to Sluggers.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I remember seeing K. Rool described as a genius compared to Bowser, but an insane and out-of-touch one, whereas Bowser's more of a brute, but is more down-to-earth and would laugh at K. Rool for being the mayor of crazy town or something. It's a great contrast and I'd love to see them interact in a game with dialogue someday, especially since they have bad chemistry according to Sluggers.
That's why I want either an overall story-based Nintendo crossover (maybe a Nintendo Land followup but based on the idea of Disney Infinity), or just a pure DK and Mario crossover featuring both K. Rool and Bowser working together.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Good to see some people expecting more than two characters as DLC. I am expecting 3 or 4 more myself.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I would definitely love to see interaction between K. Rool and Bowser, just because of how different they are.
...Now I'm imagining K. Rool making an appearance in a Mario & Luigi game, which is the series containing my absolute favorite portrayal of Bowser.
"Hold up there, bub, there's only room for one evil king in this kingdom! And it certainly ain't gonna be you!"
"Get out of my way, you brutish buffoon, I don't have time for meddlers!"
"What did you just call me?! I don't think you know who you're talking to, buddy."
"I don't know who you are, nor do I care. All I see is an obstacle to my master plan."

Something like that, I dunno. :p

oinkers12

Smash Apprentice
I wanted to say how great all of this media attention K. Rool is getting. He has been involved in 4 major leaks and is actually in the news section of Google when searching King K. Rool. No other character that I am aware of has caused such a stir in not only the Smash community but the gaming community in general. Even if Sakurai ignored him in the ballot votes you cannot really ignore so much media attention. The trademark situation has boosted us from big competition to global acknowledgement.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Kind of off topic, but since K. Rool has always been known for adopting different personas, what do you think he would/what would you want him to dress up as in a hypothetical DKC5?

I remember someone bringing up some Konquistador K. Rool fan art a while back, but I'd really like to see him dress up as a 1920s-style mob boss. Maybe he'd start out acting really sophisticated and cunning but by the time you finally reach him he's completely lost it and will do anything to stop DK. It could be a bit too similar to how he was in DK64, but I think that ever since DKC2, that's kind of what K. Rool is and I think a mobster would be a perfect fit for his personality.
Since Donkey Kong gun a coconut gun, and Diddy got a peanut pop gun, maybe Mob Boss K. Rool could have a seed shooting tommy gun or something.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Now that you say that IMAGINE what K. Rool's "palutena's guidance," is going to be like?!

IggyKoopa66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keemie
When it comes to K. Rool and Bowser I'd say they are similar in being evil yet goofy villains. Kind of in the same vein of Dr. Eggman and Dr. Wily. When Bowser is written right and not Worf Effected in order to make the villain of the day look better (Despite my pure despise for Tiki Tong and Fredrik, I'm glad they kept K. Rool away so he doesn't get to suffer like Bowser did), he's actually pretty nasty.

Their main difference that I see aside from Bowser's more hands on fighting style and K. Rool's more weapon based one, is their relation to their heroes.

In the Galaxy games Bowser calls Mario a "worthy adversary" and while he hates the plumber, he respects him. K. Rool on the other hand thinks Donkey, and by extension the rest of the Kongs are stupid apes. Or at least I got that from the PAON games when he actually talks to the Kongs ( "So in dumb ape speak: hit enemy until enemy down. Ook ook ook!")

Bowser tends to play up his strength more when talking to Mario, K. Rool plays up his intelligence when talking down to Donkey.

When it came to trying to conquer the universe Bowser would probably have done so if he didn't gain Mario's attention by making a pit stop for Peach in Galaxy. K. Rool on the other hand went out of his way to NOT get Kong attention in Jungle Climber... He just got REALLY unlucky the alien he stole from happened to bump into Donkey.

I could see the two reptilian kings clashing a lot if they ever team up to conquer their world (of course they would try to betray each other multiple times as they are both egotistical villains who don't know how to share) say they have the heroes trapped

Bowser: we can't end them yet, we must humiliate them first; show them and the world who's better.
K. Rool: What are you talking about?! Who cares?! We gotta get rid of them NOW!!!

Last edited:
3DS FC
0061-0163-0572

Do we really know that for sure? We haven't really had a game where both the fate of the Kongs and the Kremlings were at stake. Who can say if he'd be willing to ally with the Kongs? Now, I'd wager that he'd be more konniving, to be sure, perhaps thinking of a way to ultimately betray the Kongs rather than pull a Bowser and say "no rly I'm sooper evil still I swear!!", but in a situation of Necessity, it'd be cool to see him pull out his Blunderbuss and team with Donkey Kong to kick some tail.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I would definitely love to see interaction between K. Rool and Bowser, just because of how different they are.
...Now I'm imagining K. Rool making an appearance in a Mario & Luigi game, which is the series containing my absolute favorite portrayal of Bowser.
"Hold up there, bub, there's only room for one evil king in this kingdom! And it certainly ain't gonna be you!"
"Get out of my way, you brutish buffoon, I don't have time for meddlers!"
"What did you just call me?! I don't think you know who you're talking to, buddy."
"I don't know who you are, nor do I care. All I see is an obstacle to my master plan."

Something like that, I dunno. :p
Could you imagine a Mario & Luigi RPG, where the plot involves Bowser and K. Rool teaming up as the main villains, and the crazy third character with innovative moves was Donkey Kong?

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Could you imagine a Mario & Luigi RPG, where the plot involves Bowser and K. Rool teaming up as the main villains, and the crazy third character with innovative moves was Donkey Kong?
I dunno, personally I feel like M&L Bowser would be too proud to work with K. Rool, and K. Rool would look down on Bowser as just a dumb brute. I just can't imagine them seeing eye to bloodshot eye.
Though I'd love a Mario & Luigi game incorporating the DK universe, I would definitely prefer it to be set up in a way where Bowser and K. Rool clash, but both pose a threat to the main heroes (Mario, Luigi, and DK as you said, or maybe even throw Diddy in there as well).

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I'd go for a full crossover of the Mario and DK universes. Specifically one where K Rool tricks the Kongs into attacking the Mario Bros, in the hope the Kongs would lose and be out of his way. This would culminate in an epic Mario Bros vs Kongs battle with sweet team moves that would be a great nod to the arcade. Of course, Bowser would accidentally ruin K Rool's plan somehow whilst doing miscellaneous villainy of his own. The two would fight about it but then team up when the protagonists of both universes come after them.

Of course this kind of story is one which would work from the perspective of either set of protagonists, so you should have the opportunity to play the story as either of them as an easy way to double the replayability.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I'd go for a full crossover of the Mario and DK universes. Specifically one where K Rool tricks the Kongs into attacking the Mario Bros, in the hope the Kongs would lose and be out of his way. This would culminate in an epic Mario Bros vs Kongs battle with sweet team moves that would be a great nod to the arcade. Of course, Bowser would accidentally ruin K Rool's plan somehow whilst doing miscellaneous villainy of his own. The two would fight about it but then team up when the protagonists of both universes come after them.

Of course this kind of story is one which would work from the perspective of either set of protagonists, so you should have the opportunity to play the story as either of them as an easy way to double the replayability.
I too have thought of a full Mario X Donkey Kong crossover. It would have to be done well though, especially given the the mechanics would be hard to blend together. And it would almost have to be a 2D/2.5D platformer. The final boss fight would be something of dreams though. Just somehow blend K. Rool gadgets with Bowsers brutishness.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Warning Received
Hey guys check this Youtube argument out.
The hate is Real.
RealTalk
Ima try post it in segments.

Screenshot_2015-07-28-16-58-54.png

Screenshot_2015-07-28-16-59-02.png

Screenshot_2015-07-28-16-59-19.png

Screenshot_2015-07-28-16-59-26.png

Last guy is me lol with the Espeon.

Last edited by a moderator:

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
I'd go for a full crossover of the Mario and DK universes. Specifically one where K Rool tricks the Kongs into attacking the Mario Bros, in the hope the Kongs would lose and be out of his way. This would culminate in an epic Mario Bros vs Kongs battle with sweet team moves that would be a great nod to the arcade.
Would the title be Mario V Donkey Kong: Dawn of Justice?

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Last edited:
Top Bottom