• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The "news" also hit Japan, I've seen increased activity about K. Rool on twitter.
Also this page:
http://smabros.net/archives/38205225.html
And now King k.rool en FRANCAIS!
Même les français en parle!

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/43628...g-k-rool-tease-son-entree-dans-la-lumiere.htm
i hope that everybody stilll vote for him.

jeuxvideo.com is the IGN for french people.
So, these guys are thinking that K. Rool will really be DLC with this trademark thing?

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
The King's really raking in all the publicity ain't he? Good lord, I'm almost confident now that Retro will make use of him and the Kremlings in the next DKCR. They'd be K. Razy not too at this point.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
It really is interesting just how much K Rool has exploded the past couple of days. Also interesting seeing what pictures they use; especially the few using the Smashified render.

Would the title be Mario V Donkey Kong: Dawn of Justice?
Nah.

Super Mario Bros: Planet of the Apes.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Its hilarious because Tiny, Chunky, and Lanky were trademarked on the DK64 page as well, and NOBODY noticed that.

EDIT: This whole K. Rool trademark thing has REALLY gotten out of hand, and I'm loving every second of it.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It really is interesting just how much K Rool has exploded the past couple of days. Also interesting seeing what pictures they use; especially the few using the Smashified render.

Nah.

Super Mario Bros: Planet of the Apes.
How about Super Mario Bros: Planet of the Kongs?

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Was talking to my dad just now, and I brought up how K. Rool should be in Smash Bros. To which he responded, "Oh yeah, he should...that seems like a given. Not having him is like not having Bowser." I had to resist the urge to shout "THANK YOU!", lol. Hearing that said by someone like my dad, who's hardly touched a game controller newer than that of a SNES, was really encouraging to me for some reason.

StormC

Smash Hero
I really like the picture the article used.

Is it bad that I see this image and my first paranoid thought is "great, Sakurai is gonna deem K. Rool too big compared to the Kritters?"

We're so close, guys, we have everything going for us, but what if something completely stupid blocks our way? Pretty much all of my friends who are mostly indifferent to K. Rool feel he's pretty much guaranteed, which makes me wonder if I'm just once burned twice shy.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Honestly, my belief is most likely 4-6 but possibly more in regards to DLC. I think the final 2 marios are characters that are currently playable in some form, and will be done in-between august and October, possibly with one being inspired by early ballot results. I believe there are more based off the ballot in development by now.

Now in regards to a mario and DK world and gameplay style crossover, I think the coolest mix would be DK '94 gameplay mixed with DKC gameplay, but hey that's me

StormC

Smash Hero
Anything more than five stretches the definition of "more than two but not many" for me. Even five is a hard sell for me at this point; why would Sakurai emphasize that there aren't many characters left if there are more than what's already been released?

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
I'd say four more characters are DLC. That's "several" but still not very many. I would hope six, but that's just wishful thinking to me.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
I'd say four more characters are DLC. That's "several" but still not very many. I would hope six, but that's just wishful thinking to me.
Six make more sense to me.
if you check the roster screen ,

you can add the 2 "mario placeholder slots in the yellow number" ,
maybe before the october ballot?

and after you can have one colum, 4 DLC characters in the green numbers.

and VOILA ! 6 dlc is a nice number. i hope for that

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm personally betting on 4 more DLC for no other reason than "8 player DLC battle!" is good marketing.

D

Deleted member

Thank you for spoiling the game for me that i am currently playing through for the first time and loving it.
bro if you are gonna play a old nintendo game with lots of spoilers don't go anywhere on the internet till you beat it.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The more I think about it, the more I feel that Dixie is going to join the fray along with K Rool. Easy development for a semi clone, high demand, and precedence of every other series which reached 4 reps, to get numbers 3 and 4 simultaneously.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
You can speak Japanese, right? If so is what they are saying mostly positive?
Chrome has a translate function (yeah it ain't perfect).

There's one comment saying: "Who's King K Rool?"
Most of them are about amiibo and K Rool being in.
One mentions Geno for some reason.

IggyKoopa66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keemie
The King's really raking in all the publicity ain't he? Good lord, I'm almost confident now that Retro will make use of him and the Kremlings in the next DKCR. They'd be K. Razy not too at this point.
You would think... But when coming up with the Snowmads they had to brainstorm animals that were large and powerful in order to be a challenge to DK... And the series antagonists never crossed their mind... They described Kremlings yet went out of the way to avoid their use. It reminds me of that Cow and Chicken episode where the cafeteria lady Red Guy kept giving the kids Ketchup when they wanted meat...

Retro: Oh CHILDRENN! We've got something that kinda looks like K. Rool. Lord Fredrik the Snowmad King.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The more I think about it, the more I feel that Dixie is going to join the fray along with K Rool. Easy development for a semi clone, high demand, and precedence of every other series which reached 4 reps, to get numbers 3 and 4 simultaneously.
You know, thinking about it, Nintendo might not "add Dixie because K. Rool is getting all the votes because lolDKReps" but you know who she might very well edge out? Shantae.

Think about it, you get the same sort of hair, prop and (potentially) animal using moveset in a popular character, but from a first party character who can be packaged in with K. Rool, whose model can be taken from a veteran character, and who's actually known and liked in Japan.

The people who demand that the "indie world" be repped and who are advocates of throwing in new series willy-nilly instead of adding forgotten veteran series characters would throw a tantrum, but everyone else should be pretty happy.

Last edited:

TheLethalPacifist

Smash Cadet
You know, thinking about it, Nintendo might not "add Dixie because K. Rool is getting all the votes because lolDKReps" but you know who she might very well edge out? Shantae.

Think about it, you get the same sort of hair, prop and (potentially) animal using moveset in a popular character, but from a first party character who can be packaged in with K. Rool, whose model can be taken from a veteran character, and who's actually known and liked in Japan.

The people who demand that the "indie world" be repped and who are advocates of throwing in new series willy-nilly instead of adding forgotten veteran series characters would throw a tantrum, but everyone else should be pretty happy.
I would be very happy if Dixie got in over Shantae, mostly cause while I never cared for the latter's games (I have tried many times but never saw the appeal or reason to stick with it) Dixie was my main girl in the two greatest platformers I have ever played.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
People seem to forget that Smash Bros. is about NINTENDO'S HISTORY, not gaming as a whole. I mean yes, Nintendo bringing in indie developers was a pretty big step they did, but so was embracing mobile gaming. Should the Angry Birds get in Smash, no. People need to seriously think about their reasons for why their character should get in.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

Would be nice to see, especially the two of them packaged together as that'd have a higher chance of bringing a new stage with it.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
I would love to get both K. Rool and Dixie Kong. I think it could happen, but then I also think that's me being optimistic and thinking wishfully.

Devil G.

Smash Apprentice
I've been following the K. Rool movement for the last couple of months, and it really seems like the King's chances have skyrocketed compared to before. Good going everyone!

Last edited:
I don't personally think that any series will get two DLC reps, but DK seems to be the only one that could get two, being the only one with two very popular candidates (both Star Fox and Mario also have two popular candidates, but Krystal's support isn't as high as it was during Brawl and Mario has already 7 reps in Smash).

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I disagree with the notion that Dixie would just be "the better man's Shantae". Aside from hair-twirling antics, the two have no intrinsic overlap whatsoever, either in terms of design or abilities:

Dixie is an amiable ape with prehensile hair and a pink hat. She can use her hair as a whip, carry objects with it, hang from aerial vantage points with it and whirl it around to fly like a helicopter. In terms of weaponry, she has a supersonic guitar and a toy gun that shoots bubblegum. She can summon her Animal Buddies - including a rhinoceros, parrot, swordfish and spider - to aid her in battle and team up with her fellow Kongs to enhance her capabilities.

Shantae is a sultry half-genie with magical powers. She can use her hair as a whip, but that's about it as far as hair-based tricks go; otherwise, she's more at home with her diverse range of weapons and gear, including spiked balls, storm clouds, a flintlock pistol, cutlass, broadside cannon, parachute hat, stat-boosting milk and bubble shield. Rather than summon animals, she can use her magic dances to transform into a variety of different feral forms - including a monkey, elephant, spider and harpy - at will.

Aside from the hair whip and, if you want to really stretch it, musical talent and animal elements, there's really no crossover there. It'd be incredibly shallow of Sakurai to say, "Yeah, we need a hair-based character in the roster, Dixie does that just fine." It's demeaning to bother characters and their fans, plus it just reflects badly on Sakurai and demonstrates a total lack of knowledge in these characters' individual potential.

If Dixie gets in over Shantae, it will be because her individual criteria are as good, possibly better, than Shantae, and most importantly, she is a first-party character with a prestigious and valued history with Nintendo; it won't be because we need "muh hair fighter rep".

/rant

As you were~ :3

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I beat Donkey Kong Country today!
Overall, I think it's a really fun game that is very rewarding to complete. Also, I didn't notice until now that the island is shaped like DK's head. How clever of Rare!
The only major complaint that I have for the game is that the bosses are extremely lackluster. Seriously, why do Gnawty and Necky each have two separate boss battles? Imo, Tropical Freeze blows the game out of the water with its boss battles.
Overall, I had a great time with the game and am going to buy DKC2.
Is that game better than the original?

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I beat Donkey Kong Country today!
Overall, I think it's a really fun game that is very rewarding to complete. Also, I didn't notice until now that the island is shaped like DK's head. How clever of Rare!
The only major complaint that I have for the game is that the bosses are extremely lackluster. Seriously, why do Gnawty and Necky each have two separate boss battles. Imo, Tropical Freeze blows the game out of the water with its boss battles.
Overall, I had a great time with the game and am going to buy DKC2.
Pleased you enjoyed it! :3

Is that game better than the original?
YES.

Bigger levels, more challenging stage design, more diverse range of enemies and Animal Buddies, huge amount of collectibles, memorable bosses, incomparable soundtrack...

It's just better than the original in every way.

Except for the fact that it doesn't have DK.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
^oh definitely! DKC is a great game but definitely has it's flaws(one of them being the bosses as you said) DKC2 pretty much takes what DKC had and perfects it.edit: ninja'd

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Pleased you enjoyed it! :3

YES.

Bigger levels, more challenging stage design, more diverse range of enemies and Animal Buddies, huge amount of collectibles, memorable bosses, incomparable soundtrack...

It's just better than the original in every way.

Except for the fact that it doesn't have DK.
^oh definitely! DKC is a great game but definitely has it's flaws(one of them being the bosses as you said) DKC2 pretty much takes what DKC had and perfects it.edit: ninja'd
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'm going to buy DKC2 after I've bought all of the Smash DLC.
That said, I think it would be hilarious if K. Rool's Final Smash ends up being the Kredits from DKC.
MAKE IT HAPPEN, SAKURAI.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

I sure would; I actually would consider Smash pretty complete, with the possible exception of Takamaru, should they add Dixie too.

Man, that's a really exciting possibility.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I disagree with the notion that Dixie would just be "the better man's Shantae". Aside from hair-twirling antics, the two have no intrinsic overlap whatsoever, either in terms of design or abilities:

Dixie is an amiable ape with prehensile hair and a pink hat. She can use her hair as a whip, carry objects with it, hang from aerial vantage points with it and whirl it around to fly like a helicopter. In terms of weaponry, she has a supersonic guitar and a toy gun that shoots bubblegum. She can summon her Animal Buddies - including a rhinoceros, parrot, swordfish and spider - to aid her in battle and team up with her fellow Kongs to enhance her capabilities.

Shantae is a sultry half-genie with magical powers. She can use her hair as a whip, but that's about it as far as hair-based tricks go; otherwise, she's more at home with her diverse range of weapons and gear, including spiked balls, storm clouds, a flintlock pistol, cutlass, broadside cannon, parachute hat, stat-boosting milk and bubble shield. Rather than summon animals, she can use her magic dances to transform into a variety of different feral forms - including a monkey, elephant, spider and harpy - at will.

Aside from the hair whip and, if you want to really stretch it, musical talent and animal elements, there's really no crossover there. It'd be incredibly shallow of Sakurai to say, "Yeah, we need a hair-based character in the roster, Dixie does that just fine." It's demeaning to bother characters and their fans, plus it just reflects badly on Sakurai and demonstrates a total lack of knowledge in these characters' individual potential.

If Dixie gets in over Shantae, it will be because her individual criteria are as good, possibly better, than Shantae, and most importantly, she is a first-party character with a prestigious and valued history with Nintendo; it won't be because we need "muh hair fighter rep".

/rant

As you were~ :3
Point taken. My experience looking at Shantae votes has been seeing ballots to the tune of "Her games are so good and she'd be a great indie rep! Also she can use hair and animal transformations!" The developers may just take the latter into mind, even if the character gets written off for the shallowness of the former reasons. It's the same strain of logic behind the people who say Dixie might get chosen instead of K. Rool because of the shared references to "DK rep," but with two characters who may actually be closer in the votes and where one of those characters has actual obstacles to overcome (that aren't self-imposed like muhrelevance). Didn't mean to generalize.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'm going to buy DKC2 after I've bought all of the Smash DLC.
That said, I think it would be hilarious if K. Rool's Final Smash ends up being the Kredits from DKC.
MAKE IT HAPPEN, SAKURAI.
Let's just say that there are many, many reasons a lot of people still call DKC2 the best in the series despite coming out twenty years ago.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
DKC2 is one of those quintessential video game sequels that improves on the first in basically every manner. I've only ever met two people who prefer the first game.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Point taken. My experience looking at Shantae voted has been seeing ballots to the tune of "Her games are so good and she'd be a great indie rep! Also she can use hair and animal transformations!" It's the same strain of logic behind the people who say Dixie might get chosen instead of K. Rool because of the shared references to "DK rep," but with two characters who may actually be closer in the votes and where one of those characters has actual obstacles to overcome (that aren't self-imposed like muhrelevance). Didn't mean to generalize.
Oh, it's okay! It wasn't intended as a snipe at you (I would've quoted your post otherwise), just a nebulous rant against the kind of flawed logic people occasionally use to vindicate their favoured newcomer / detract from another's preferred fighter.

Shantae fans like Shantae because her games are incredibly fun and she has a diverse range of tricks from which to draw. The "indie rep" thing is kind of a vague buzzword that gets bandied about in defence of her character; a sort of novelty criterium that ostensibly distinguishes her from the fuddy-duddy Nintendo "All-Stars" of the day.

I'm being caustic for the sake of satire here, but yeah, I disagree with the notion that she should be added because "muh indie reps". I think she and Dixie would both make fine choices and have very impressive resumés from which to draw - just that, if it came down to the wire, Dixie has the fundamental advantage and, in a technical context of ballot choices, she'd definitely be the easier pick. I wouldn't even say she'd be the better pick, just easier. That is a sizable advantage, not "she was swinging her hair like a follicular whip before it was cool".

I'm okay with whomever gets added, though. I just happen to prefer K. Rool over most other common choices~ ;3

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
That is a sizable advantage, not "she was swinging her hair like a follicular whip before it was cool".
I just want to say that this is the funniest thing I've read all day, and you almost got landed with a bill for a beverage-soaked monitor. :laugh:

Top Bottom