• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'm going to buy DKC2 after I've bought all of the Smash DLC.
That said, I think it would be hilarious if K. Rool's Final Smash ends up being the Kredits from DKC.
MAKE IT HAPPEN, SAKURAI.
I too want to see K. Rools final Smash be the Kredits Roll. Not sure how likely it is, but I am certainly being wishful about it.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Good evening, Kutthroats! How's the happenings today?
DKC2 is one of those quintessential video game sequels that improves on the first in basically every manner. I've only ever met two people who prefer the first game.
I prefer the first game for 2 reasons
1) It's the only DKC I ever played (Including Returns, Tropic Freeze and any spin-off that isn't Diddy Kong Racing), I'm a fraud
2) King K. Rool's face after he throws his krown
"NO, WAIT, I DIDN'T MEAN TO DO THAT, DON'T HIT ME- OW"

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Paon:

Rare:

-no claws
-tail
-jewel color
-golden plate armor
-larger crown
I personally wouldn't mind a mix of the PAON and Rare designs, Maybe the Proportions of PAON, but with the green jewel, golden chest plate, bigger krown, and klaws. Part of my beef with the Rare design for Smash, love it though I do, is that the arm and leg length just look so... wonky in his concept designs. His arms might look odd in certain moves, and his stubby legs might look odd running everywhere and fast speeds.

D

Deleted member

Was talking to my dad just now, and I brought up how K. Rool should be in Smash Bros. To which he responded, "Oh yeah, he should...that seems like a given. Not having him is like not having Bowser." I had to resist the urge to shout "THANK YOU!", lol. Hearing that said by someone like my dad, who's hardly touched a game controller newer than that of a SNES, was really encouraging to me for some reason.
Meanwhile here where i live nobody, and i repeat, NOBODY cares about what i think, what i do and what i play. (and i am sure that NOBODY would ever told me something like that in my life, smash fan or not.)
Man, i hate beign to only person in my family to care about Video Games and not have any friends to spent time with.
Anyway, it seems that K.Rools trademark thingy is really getting out of hand.
Oh and also Kutthroats, don't expect me to post daily here anymore, since i will be busy for quite some time.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Was talking to my dad just now, and I brought up how K. Rool should be in Smash Bros. To which he responded, "Oh yeah, he should...that seems like a given. Not having him is like not having Bowser." I had to resist the urge to shout "THANK YOU!", lol. Hearing that said by someone like my dad, who's hardly touched a game controller newer than that of a SNES, was really encouraging to me for some reason.
Right in the Feels
I'm really feeling that :4shulk:
I'm probably gonna talk to my friend (A Game store manager who brings only 1980-2000 stuff to the table and loves to sit down and play/race classic games with me whenever I visit, he's quite the wise old man) about King K. later on in the week when I get the time to visit

Also;
I'm currently playing Pokemon Heart Gold.
My starter is a Totodile, whom I named "K. Ascade" (Cascade meaning Waterfall, add Kremling flair and boom)
Little Kutthroat.

StormC

Smash Hero
I personally wouldn't mind a mix of the PAON and Rare designs, Maybe the Proportions of PAON, but with the green jewel, golden chest plate, bigger krown, and klaws. Part of my beef with the Rare design for Smash, love it though I do, is that the arm and leg length just look so... wonky in his concept designs. His arms might look odd in certain moves, and his stubby legs might look odd running everywhere and fast speeds.
So something like this? (courtesy of our friend @Thelimomon):

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Right in the Feels
I'm really feeling that :4shulk:
I'm probably gonna talk to my friend (A Game store manager who brings only 1980-2000 stuff to the table and loves to sit down and play/race classic games with me whenever I visit, he's quite the wise old man) about King K. later on in the week when I get the time to visit

Also;
I'm currently playing Pokemon Heart Gold.
My starter is a Totodile, whom I named "K. Ascade" (Cascade meaning Waterfall, add Kremling flair and boom)
Little Kutthroat.
I see you have excellent choice in starters.

I love this picture; not sure I've seen it in full before. Might play about with some recoloured at some point as this looks conducive to recolouring if you're bad at recolouring.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
I agree with this, I think that Paon has ironed out some of the overall proportion designs, but lacks the fine details. Essentially, the Paon body works better as part of the Mario-verse, while the Rare has the details that make him truly unique, combining the two creates the superior K.Rool design. Unlike Link, Zelda, King Dedede, and Ridley who have had a gradual period of redesign and change, our king had the primary change from 2D to 3D with no real intermediary steps. Smash has to represent both the past and the future, and take advantage of both. So if we're talking out of existing designs, K.Rool's Paon body, with a more pronounced eye, and the armor you've got the right mix of detail and simplicity, and the armor is a better contrast to DK, both wear simple outfits, but K.Rool's has extra flair.

Though, there is a third possibility we aren't considering. When Sakurai decides on a character he refers to either the creator or the current person behind the direction of the series. So either they go to the Rare guy who created the original design, confers with Paon/Namco, or goes to Retro who have the current control of the franchise. Depending on who is decided it is possible Sakurai may consult with them for the design, and if it is Retro, and they are bringing our King back, his design could be his new comeback design which is different from what we all expect while homaging the previous designs

Also something it seems like everyone is overlooking when it comes to the ballot is that at least one of the picks will be from an unrepresented franchise, and that'll be the wildcard, because I think for every repped franchise that gets a newcomer from the ballot, an unrepped franchise will be picked, and that's where things become unclear

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
So, a member of the Rayman Support Thread decided to take it upon herself to Raymanify some characters. The member's name is @ AndreaAC AndreaAC and she decided to make this for you Kutthroats. Enjoy!

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I agree with this, I think that Paon has ironed out some of the overall proportion designs, but lacks the fine details. Essentially, the Paon body works better as part of the Mario-verse, while the Rare has the details that make him truly unique, combining the two creates the superior K.Rool design. Unlike Link, Zelda, King Dedede, and Ridley who have had a gradual period of redesign and change, our king had the primary change from 2D to 3D with no real intermediary steps. Smash has to represent both the past and the future, and take advantage of both. So if we're talking out of existing designs, K.Rool's Paon body, with a more pronounced eye, and the armor you've got the right mix of detail and simplicity, and the armor is a better contrast to DK, both wear simple outfits, but K.Rool's has extra flair.

Though, there is a third possibility we aren't considering. When Sakurai decides on a character he refers to either the creator or the current person behind the direction of the series. So either they go to the Rare guy who created the original design, confers with Paon/Namco, or goes to Retro who have the current control of the franchise. Depending on who is decided it is possible Sakurai may consult with them for the design, and if it is Retro, and they are bringing our King back, his design could be his new comeback design which is different from what we all expect while homaging the previous designs

Also something it seems like everyone is overlooking when it comes to the ballot is that at least one of the picks will be from an unrepresented franchise, and that'll be the wildcard, because I think for every repped franchise that gets a newcomer from the ballot, an unrepped franchise will be picked, and that's where things become unclear
As cool as that may be, I hope that's not what happens. I feel like many fans would be displeased if it was totally different than what we know. If it's a Retro design that's kind of like a throwback/redux of the original, then I might be a bit more interested.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I feel like many fans would be displeased if it was totally different than what we know. If it's a Retro design that's kind of like a throwback/redux of the original, then I might be a bit more interested.
I wouldn't mind it too much, myself. That said, this is because any such redesign couldn't possibly be as drastic as the one that Pit got! :laugh: (I always expected him to get into Smash with his original design, not a completely overhauled one. I didn't mind it once I got used to it, though.)

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Also something it seems like everyone is overlooking when it comes to the ballot is that at least one of the picks will be from an unrepresented franchise, and that'll be the wildcard,
Do you have a source for this, or is it an opinion? I imagine it's the latter as otherwise I'd expect to have read about it by now but if it is then you really shouldn't be saying it so authoritatively.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Not to steer the subject back to haters, but seeing so many of them crawl out of the woodwork with Rool's newfound exposure does ave me worried. If he's getting this much hate, could be we be wrong in assuming he's the #1 most popular pick for a newcomer?

Last edited:

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Nah, I think you guys aren't expecting ENOUGH DLC characters, I believe that the final roster, including DLC, will look something like this:

EDIT: In all seriousness, 4-6 characters (6 characters might be pushing it a bit) sounds reasonable, with 2 or more probably being the minimum

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Not to steer the subject back to haters, but seeing so many of them crawl out of the woodwork with Rool's newfound exposure does ave me worried. If he's getting this much hate, could be we be wrong in assuming he's the #1 most popular pick for a newcomer?
People will hate anything that's popular just to seem cool.
See: Jurassic World.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Do you have a source for this, or is it an opinion? I imagine it's the latter as otherwise I'd expect to have read about it by now but if it is then you really shouldn't be saying it so authoritatively.
Opinion, but informed, I'm just looking at all the angles and possibilities, and hey, I could be wrong, but way I see it, a massive part of the ballot is too see the potential franchises that are considered lower tier, but fans want to see, that also have a ton of potential for movesets and could bring something unique to the table. Smash is a celebration of Nintendo as a whole, but franchises get looked over, and this is a time where they can actually bring them back to the forefront. Also, it will provide a good contrast, they know they need a good appeal for the ballot and remaining dlc in order for the best movement. So contrasting someone from a used franchise and a new one is going to create the best response, and allow for the greatest variety. That's the way I see it

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Nah, I think you guys aren't expecting ENOUGH DLC characters, I believe that the final roster, including DLC, will look something like this:

EDIT: In all seriousness, 4-6 characters (6 characters might be pushing it a bit) sounds reasonable, with 2 or more probably being the minimum
Seeing huge, fan-made rosters like this takes me back.

StormC

Smash Hero
Opinion, but informed, I'm just looking at all the angles and possibilities, and hey, I could be wrong, but way I see it, a massive part of the ballot is too see the potential franchises that are considered lower tier, but fans want to see, that also have a ton of potential for movesets and could bring something unique to the table. Smash is a celebration of Nintendo as a whole, but franchises get looked over, and this is a time where they can actually bring them back to the forefront. Also, it will provide a good contrast, they know they need a good appeal for the ballot and remaining dlc in order for the best movement. So contrasting someone from a used franchise and a new one is going to create the best response, and allow for the greatest variety. That's the way I see it
You're overthinking it, I feel. They're looking for characters; that's what this ballot is about. Not games or franchises. Characters.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Check this article on the K. Rool trademark out...I think it has a pretty good quote toward the end.

According to Attack of the Fanboy,many other surveys around the web asking people for their preferred Smash Brothers downloadable character rank King K. Rool as one of the most popular choices–which would mean Nintendo would have no good reason not to feature the overwhelmingly requested character.
No good reason, not the least of which involves K. Rool being smaller than the Smash Run Kremlings that already tower over their bigger enemy Donkey Kong.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Man, it's times like this during the Smash speculation period that things are both the most tense and the most enjoyable, in some aspects. No (notable) leaks, no "insider info", just us, biting out nails in anticipation, armed with nothing but our hopes, dreams, and a shrivel of common sense, and fueled by the insane amount of hype and fear we're all sharing.

As stressful as it is, nothing is exciting as being on Mr. Sakurai's Wild Ride. :4dk:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey, JW is just legitimately bad, this is coming from a major JP fan and a writer.
I'd have to disagree. It was very good. Not great, but good. The people in the theater clapped when the movie ended. Now, if only they had King K. Rool somewhere in there...(I'm joking around about the K. Rool part)

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Man, it's times like this during the Smash speculation period that things are both the most tense and the most enjoyable, in some aspects. No (notable) leaks, no "insider info", just us, biting out nails in anticipation, armed with nothing but our hopes, dreams, and a shrivel of common sense, and fueled by the insane amount of hype and fear we're all sharing.

As stressful as it is, nothing is exciting as being on Mr. Sakurai's Wild Ride. :4dk:
That I can agree with
You don't even know how blissful I was when Dr. Mario was thrown into the real world
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

This is actually exactly what I'd want out of a 3D K.Rool model in Smash (in full HD of course), color me impressed @Thelimomon !!
Check this article on the K. Rool trademark out...I think it has a pretty good quote toward the end.

No good reason, not the least of which involves K. Rool being smaller than the Smash Run Kremlings that already tower over their bigger enemy Donkey Kong.
I think the fact that both DK64 and Jungle Climber are on the VC is a great sign for K.Rool. They are releasing a lot of important core titles of the overall Donkey Kong series in a row as of late I noticed... Are they checking and evaluating on the popularity of these titles so they can determine if K.Rool is still "relevant" enough to add to Smash? Are they trying to make him "relevant" more now that it's clear he's basically topping the ballot?

I think good things are a head actually. For both K.Rool in Smash, and DKC's future.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace

Here K. Rool fans, Discuss this leak from 4chan. Point towards the leak is the stage does look downgraded like the other Melee stages.
But a point against it is that while the 3DS is a background like the directs, that would mean this would have been taken from a computer screen. But there is no glare. So that's confusing.

But what do you guys think?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

Here K. Rool fans, Discuss this leak from 4chan. Point towards the leak is the stage does look downgraded like the other Melee stages.
But a point against it is that while the 3DS is a background like the directs, that would mean this would have been taken from a computer screen. But there is no glare. So that's confusing.

I like how the person took the "leak" picture at an angle to show off his photography "skills".

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
that pic would be so easy to create with brawl mods and some minor image editing to be honest.(heck, great bay temple is one of the easiest stage hacks to find)

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I thought it (JW) was pretty cynical and had more holes in its plot than a cheese grater. But the dinosaurs were cool, though I still prefer the robotic goodness of the original.

I didn't like it at all, but that is just me.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217

It could just be viewed from a DS itself ala eShop video or something

Sakurai really likes Melee all of the sudden
Mewtwo, Roy, and now (maybe) Great Bay
Strange :4pacman:

Top Bottom