• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
What if when K. Rool is announced, this guy finally gets included as a assist trophy?

Speaking of which, doesn't anyone else find it weird that Chunky is the only Kong introduced in 64 to not make any major appearances since then? Tiny & Lanky were both in DK Barrel Blast plus trophies in both Brawl & Wii U (Tiny was also in Diddy Kong Racing DS plus Mario Super Sluggers).

Sure, Chunky was in a GBA DKC3 minigame (along with Tiny & Lanky) and a Brawl sticker, but nothing more beyond that.

StormC

Smash Hero
Speaking of which, doesn't anyone else find it weird that Chunky is the only Kong introduced in 64 to not make any major appearances since then? Tiny & Lanky were both in DK Barrel Blast plus trophies in both Brawl & Wii U (Tiny was also in Diddy Kong Racing DS plus Mario Super Sluggers).

Sure, Chunky was in a GBA DKC3 minigame (along with Tiny & Lanky) and a Brawl sticker, but nothing more beyond that.
Chunky and Kiddy's family must live far away, seeing how Kiddy hasn't appeared since Donkey Kong Land III.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Warning Received

Really? Lanky was in another game? Cool didnt know that...thought it was only Tiny in DKRDS

Do you guys think K Rool will be abit like DDD? With a strong projectile and being heavy himself. (Minus the multi jumps)
Or more like Bowser J.R?

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord

oh yeah, whatever happened to Swanky Kong?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I never played Tropical Freeze yet, and that's one of my biggest shames in gaming ever. Just hearing those David Wise tracks from that game, it really gives me a nostalgic feeling. Man, I need to unlearn getting so broke all the damn time. I really need to play Tropical Freeze, and if I get a Wii U anyway, the original SNES triology will be the first thing I download. Yes, even before getting :4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu: at my own Smash file. One thing that majorly bums me about Tropical Freeze though is the lack of tag teams. I SWEAR, this game would be a Day 01 buy for me, even if I had to get a loan from the bank, if I could just play as :4diddy: and Dixie.

The Donkey Kong Country series really has this magic feeling around it I hardly feel with any other series in gaming.
I want the whole trilogy on my WiiU too...but im not paying £6.29 X 3..
Thats alotta money...why havent they done a Sale for all 3 games...like £11 - £12 pound for all 3.

Also i kinda wanna get tropical freeze but its still £30...

StormC

Smash Hero
Do you guys think K Rool will be abit like DDD? With a strong projectile and being heavy himself. (Minus the multi jumps)
Or more like Bowser J.R?
:snake: is the closest analogue to the most popular version of a K. Rool moveset: heavy character with projectiles and traps.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Or more like Bowser J.R?
You could feasibly make him like King Dedede, though I am personally praying it does not happen. Probably not very similar to Bowser Jr. As said before, Snake is likely the closest analogue.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Just to add a little more high spirit in this thread, I'm posting this again.
Or more like Bowser J.R?
I'm hoping not, if anything maybe a bit like Bowser Jr. with the way he shoots out his cannonballs or sharp projectiles at least but everything else should be his own moveset.

StormC

Smash Hero
Thought you guys might like this:

A massive crocodile emerged from a lake in South Africa looking even more sinister than usual thanks to a layer of bright green slime covering its body. The huge reptile was swimming in the Kruger National Park when it emerged from the water caked in a layer of brightly-coloured algae.
More here.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Fellow Kutthroats, after many years I finally decided to conclude my 101% playthrough of DK64. I had already collected all the golden bananas a long time ago, but there was something stopping me from finishing. His name? King Krusha K. Rool. When I was a little kid, I couldn't even get past DK's round, but now after many years I've succeeded (even though I almost lost at Diddy's and Tiny's round).

Having said this, I'm now even more eager for K. Rool's inclusion in Smash.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
I had the best dream ever last night. It's a bit fuzzy at parts, but I'll try to remember.

There was a Nintendo Direct. "Please take a look" (Iwata was there :grin:) and it then cut to the smash logo burning. Oh jeez... Who is it?!

Bowser is beating up Mario, then to KO him. Ganondorf is beating up Link, then to spike him. King Dedede is beating up Kirby, then to spike him as well. Then we see Donkey Kong, who is sitting there... Confused. He doesn't have his villain in Smash yet. Suddenly, a kannonball strikes him. Followed by a krown. DK is sent flying. We see a big, green foot stomp. Camera slowly moves up to show K. Rool's eye. Then we see the glint in his eye and the camera zooms out to show him fully. Cue music. "K. Rool krushes the kompetition!" Cue gameplay.

It gets fuzzy around here...

I just remember flipping my **** and looking at his render on the website.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I had the best dream ever last night. It's a bit fuzzy at parts, but I'll try to remember.

There was a Nintendo Direct. "Please take a look" (Iwata was there :grin:) and it then cut to the smash logo burning. Oh jeez... Who is it?!

Bowser is beating up Mario, then to KO him. Ganondorf is beating up Link, then to spike him. King Dedede is beating up Kirby, then to spike him as well. Then we see Donkey Kong, who is sitting there... Confused. He doesn't have his villain in Smash yet. Suddenly, a kannonball strikes him. Followed by a krown. DK is sent flying. We see a big, green foot stomp. Camera slowly moves up to show K. Rool's eye. Then we see the glint in his eye and the camera zooms out to show him fully. Cue music. "K. Rool krushes the kompetition!" Cue gameplay.

Y'know, that would actually be a great way to do the trailer for real, and I wouldn't be surprised if that turns out to be how it is.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Send me a link to the dream please.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I honestly don't think K. Rool will be like Dedede or Bowser Jr anymore than Little Mac is like Captain Falcon.

They may share similar gameplay elements on a fundamental level (defensive zoner with a diverse toolkit), but I have no doubt that Sakurai can make him stand out in that respect.

The comparison to Snake is, I agree, fairly apt, and the closest example we have to what K. Rool would hypothetically play like. If PM Ganondorf is a more brutal and savage version of canon Ganon, then I think K. Rool could function similarly with regards to PM Snake: a heavy zoner focusing on setting up complex and destructive traps, though with a brutal and savage playstyle that rewards aggressive play and violent tactics just as much as elaborate intricacies of his toolkit.

To that end, I'm in favour of what I call the "discharge" mechanic for K. Rool: K. Rool's main moves (i.e. specials, smashes and maybe a few other normal moves) can be charged to increase their power and range. This is pretty standard fare for projectile specials and smashes, though in this case, it would make a huge difference - say, the difference between a Bowser Jr-style dud cannonball and a super-fast spiked variety that wrecks shields. The same would apply across the board: K. Rool's moves hurt if they're fully charged, and they encourage you to go ham if the situation calls for it.

The trick here is that, much like his hated nemesis Diddy's Peanut Popgun, if K. Rool holds the charge for too long...

Boom!

It blows up in his face, wasting the move and doing heavy damage to the King himself! This works for smashes as well as specials, so you have to be very careful with how you use K. Rool's tools. Judicious and crafty use will ensure K. Rool plays at the top of his game and does huge damage to anyone that dares get in his scaly green face; reckless aggression will yield more harm than help, though, and cause poor Rool to feel the wrath of his own wicked devices.

There's a good chance you're thinking to yourself, "But top-level players would just have perfect timing and never discharge! K. Rool would be OP!"

To which I respond: true! Yet power comes at a price: K. Rool is rendered totally vulnerable while charging, meaning he needs to be very, very careful of how and when he goes full-on with the big guns, and know when it's best to just take it easy and bide his time.

Of course, if K. Rool did nothing but charge and run the risk of blowing himself to kingdom come, he'd be rather ineffective in the overall scheme of things. Rushdown fighters would make mincemeat of him, and characters with reflectors would laugh in his bountiful visage. How kroo...er, cruel!

Which is why I propose that, just to flesh out our King's royal repertoire, he would have a few trap-based moves as well to cover his bases and ensure he doesn't just become combo food. Have fun working your way over a bona fide minefield while K. Rool charges a spike-skewered round of buckshot from a safe distance~!

Just a few thoughts on how I would design K. Rool, had Daddy Sakurai deigned it fit to bequeath the responsibility unto me.

What say y'all? Discharge: yea or nay?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I honestly don't think K. Rool will be like Dedede or Bowser Jr anymore than Little Mac is like Captain Falcon.

They may share similar gameplay elements on a fundamental level (defensive zoner with a diverse toolkit), but I have no doubt that Sakurai can make him stand out in that respect.

The comparison to Snake is, I agree, fairly apt, and the closest example we have to what K. Rool would hypothetically play like. If PM Ganondorf is a more brutal and savage version of canon Ganon, then I think K. Rool could function similarly with regards to PM Snake: a heavy zoner focusing on setting up complex and destructive traps, though with a brutal and savage playstyle that rewards aggressive play and violent tactics just as much as elaborate intricacies of his toolkit.

To that end, I'm in favour of what I call the "discharge" mechanic for K. Rool: K. Rool's main moves (i.e. specials, smashes and maybe a few other normal moves) can be charged to increase their power and range. This is pretty standard fare for projectile specials and smashes, though in this case, it would make a huge difference - say, the difference between a Bowser Jr-style dud cannonball and a super-fast spiked variety that wrecks shields. The same would apply across the board: K. Rool's moves hurt if they're fully charged, and they encourage you to go ham if the situation calls for it.

The trick here is that, much like his hated nemesis Diddy's Peanut Popgun, if K. Rool holds the charge for too long...

Boom!

It blows up in his face, wasting the move and doing heavy damage to the King himself! This works for smashes as well as specials, so you have to be very careful with how you use K. Rool's tools. Judicious and crafty use will ensure K. Rool plays at the top of his game and does huge damage to anyone that dares get in his scaly green face; reckless aggression will yield more harm than help, though, and cause poor Rool to feel the wrath of his own wicked devices.

There's a good chance you're thinking to yourself, "But top-level players would just have perfect timing and never discharge! K. Rool would be OP!"

To which I respond: true! Yet power comes at a price: K. Rool is rendered totally vulnerable while charging, meaning he needs to be very, very careful of how and when he goes full-on with the big guns, and know when it's best to just take it easy and bide his time.

Of course, if K. Rool did nothing but charge and run the risk of blowing himself to kingdom come, he'd be rather ineffective in the overall scheme of things. Rushdown fighters would make mincemeat of him, and characters with reflectors would laugh in his bountiful visage. How kroo...er, cruel!

Which is why I propose that, just to flesh out our King's royal repertoire, he would have a few trap-based moves as well to cover his bases and ensure he doesn't just become combo food. Have fun working your way over a bona fide minefield while K. Rool charges a spike-skewered round of buckshot from a safe distance~!

Just a few thoughts on how I would design K. Rool, had Daddy Sakurai deigned it fit to bequeath the responsibility unto me.

If he's balanced better because of it, yes

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Boom!

If done well then yay.
Would have to see it in action though.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
So... How would you react if King K. Rool had an unique costume dedicated to Super Smash Bros.?

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So... How would you react if King K. Rool had an unique costume dedicated to Super Smash Bros.?
Like what?

Smash Bros is better known for representing the best of other franchises, not generating new content itself. Most Smash-original characters (read: SSE) weren't really well received in the long run.

:231:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
A unique Smash-themed costume would be fun, though I can't see it happening. Smash is a time capsule and a nostalgic throwback as much as anything else, K. Rool with a new kostume would rather spoil the integrity of that. If it's a celebration of K. Rool and his heritage as a character, I'd rather he don his King kostume, it being the persona he's most famous for.

I could definitely see Sakurai creating a new kostume as an alt for Smash, though. King, Kaptain, Baron and one more, each with two palettes to create eight alts overall.

That would be very fun indeed~

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
K Rool getting a new alt for Smash would be awesome. It's not as if it would be his only costume and he's the perfect character to do it with so I'd be absolutely down for it.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
I meant as an alt costume alongside his regular King costume and his other Kaptain, Baron, Krusha and maybe baseball player costumes. I agree it would be very odd if it was his only costume and I wouldn't like that. But as an alt costume, count me in. I wonder what it could look like.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
A new alt would be great as long as King is there. Maybe Kommander K. Rool, since the original Kremlings are military themed.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Like what?

Smash Bros is better known for representing the best of other franchises, not generating new content itself. Most Smash-original characters (read: SSE) weren't really well received in the long run.

:231:
well I love Galleon and Tabuu! they were the only cool ones in my opinion.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
World 2-6 (Stormy Shore) of Returns is stunning in 3D. Saying no more in case of spoilers.

Just under 20% of the way through now, regretting not buying this game a long time ago.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Just under 20% of the way through now, regretting not buying this game a long time ago.
Hey, better late than never, right? :b:

I must be honest, it's still got me wanting a Donkey Kong Land Returns, complete with tag-teaming and revisiting some of the DKL series' themes...

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Honestly, if Kaptain K. Rool is a thing, I will never need to play any other K. Rool alt.

That and the image of him plucking a krown from under his Kaptain's hat and throwing it is hysterical.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Hey guys which of these do you think is gonna happen because everyone seems divided.

1 in October the ballot closes and we will get 1 or 2 chars and possibly another char announced but will be released in 2016.

2. In October the ballot closes and the top ranking chars chosen are announced and development will be begin on them A.S.A.P and will be ready sometime in 2016.

3. Other (please elaborate,

World 2-6 (Stormy Shore) of Returns is stunning in 3D. Saying no more in case of spoilers.

I gave up on that game i felt like snapping it in half you might do also when you get up to a certain someone.
Its ridiculous how cheesy it is...the wii controls in a certain part.

Last edited by a moderator:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey guys which of these do you think is gonna happen because everyone seems divided.

1 in October the ballot closes and we will get 1 or 2 chars and possibly another char announced but will be released in 2016.

2. In October the ballot closes and the top ranking chars chosen are announced and development will be begin on them A.S.A.P and will be ready sometime in 2016.

3. Other (please elaborate,

I gave up on that game i felt like snapping it in half you might do also when you get up to a certain someone.
Its ridiculous how cheesy it is...the wii controls in a certain part.
I personally believe option one will happen, mainly because I don't think they'd start working on them as soon as they are announced. I believe they would be working on them before the Direct shows. I could be wrong, though.

Top Bottom