• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I'd have Cranky yelling at the player about how he could have won the battle without taking any percentage or something similar, like Mr Resetti.
Cranky will go on about how back in his day he was wavedashing before it was even called wavedashing lmao.
And not in melee it was smash for the NES thats how deep he is.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Dedede is in kind of a weird gray area.

He's an iconic video game boss and the opponent Kirby fights the most, but around half a dozen of those are due to being possessed and/or a misunderstanding. In his very first appearance he's definitely villainous, and that repeats in Revenge Of The King. Since then? He's been pretty much as harmful as a puppy. It's interesting the direction the character has taken.

Being the most notable final boss in the series, I'd at least consider him the primary antagonist of Kirby, and at best (worst?) an antivillain. This groups him pretty well with guys like Bowser, Ganondorf, and (hopefully) K. Rool as recurring endgame bosses.
You know, antagonist doesn't automatically mean villain, it's just meaning that he oppose the protagonist, in DDD case Kirby. In my opinion, Kirby is more villainous than the mighty king. I mean, this little puffball try to save Dreamland by eating most of it's inhabitants without giving a **** and he (inconsciously) helped the villain a lot of time.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
You know, antagonist doesn't automatically mean villain
Yeah, but I feel like for the purposes of a Nintendo crossover, Dedede can be counted as a "villain" rep as he's the most iconic boss character in the Kirby series and has had stints of villainy.

Meta Knight: Lawful Neutral
King Dedede: True Neutral
Kirby: Chaotic Neutral

Actual heroes seem to be in short supply in Dream Land...

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Yeah, but I feel like for the purposes of a Nintendo crossover, Dedede can be counted as a "villain" rep as he's the most iconic boss character in the Kirby series and has had stints of villainy.
If we look at it that way, I can do nothing but agree with what you said.
Meta Knight: Lawful Neutral
King Dedede: True Neutral
Kirby: Chaotic Neutral

Actual heroes seem to be in short supply in Dream Land...
And by far Bandana Dee is actually the most heroic Dreamland resident.:chuckle:

StormC

Smash Hero
Also, Dedede is grouped with Bowser and Ganondorf in the Final Battle Event Match in Brawl.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
In his very first appearance he's definitely villainous,
About as villainous as that one guy who decides to rob the grocery store
All it really is is just him taking some food that I'm pretty sure Dream Land's residents could just regrow instantly (Considering every continent in both Pop Star and the Mirror World is named after food)
Being the most notable final boss in the series, I'd at least consider him the primary antagonist of Kirby, and at best (worst?) an antivillain. This groups him pretty well with guys like Bowser, Ganondorf, and (hopefully) K. Rool as recurring endgame bosses.
I think the most recent "Final Boss" Dedede has been is in Fighters Deluxe
Inbetween Super Star Ultra (iirc) and Fighters Deluxe, Dedede was either close-to-final or just not a boss (Minus Epic Yarn and Mass Attack, he was just in the middle)
Let's just classify Dedede (And therefore every member of his army aside from Vanilla Dees, they just sorta do nothing) as "Not-exactly-Good Guys"

...Now that I think about it, who has been a recurring Kirby Character as of late that isn't in Smash yet?
I can 100% only think of two.
Bandana Dee (aka Chandelure's husbando) and Bonkers (The one guy who's been around the entire time but noone seems to speak up about ever).
Magolor and Galacta Knight are kinda recent, but they haven't really been popping up in everything and a half like BDee and Bonks.
Funny how all of those characters are technically on the Partially-evil side (If you were to consider Dedede still being a villian [For Bandana Dee's case] and Galacta Knight being bad even though he's sorta just a rival that Meta Knight loves summoning every afternoon to spar with [might be an exaggeration])

...Look what you made me do, we're talking about Kirby in the King K. Thread.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Bonkers (The one guy who's been around the entire time but noone seems to speak up about ever).
Bonkers is just a drone, not an actual character given identity. He's like Mr. Frosty.

Also, probably not a good idea to discount stealing food as an evil act in a K. Rool thread. ;)

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Also, probably not a good idea to discount stealing food as an evil act in a K. Rool thread. ;)
The kremlings have been buying votes by paying off the greedy penguins with bananas, anyway. :laugh:

They're banana-laundering! They have to get rid of the stolen Banana Horde somehow.

Last edited:
hey guys its nice to see you.
just came here to say that i was in the hospital for awhile and have been very sick(have been since june 1st)

im sorry but i wont be able to make any more k rool fanart due to compications with my hands,it would be very nice if someone could fill me in on any good k rool news that i missed(anything since june 1st).

i wont be visiting here as often as i used to or be as actively supporting k rool as i used to do but i still support k rool for smash and i will be watching from the sidelines,from now on im going to have to sit this one out and let you fellow kutthroats continue.

thank you guys for the good times we had on this thread.....i expect to see a trailer for a certain krocodile in october.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Hey man, good to see you. Take it easy and recover. K. Rool isn't (quite as) important as your health, for real.

im sorry but i wont be able to make any more k rool fanart due to compications with my hands,it would be very nice if someone could fill me in on any good k rool news that i missed(anything since june 1st).
Not too much. Lucas, Roy and Ryu got released, Sakurai clarified in Famitsu that he's going to be focusing on "fanservice" from here on out with only "several" more characters left.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As a huge Pokemon fan, I gave up on memorizing all the Pokemon names by gen 5.

If you could only have one DK Assist Trophy, what it would it be? Something like Rambi is obvious, but I'd worry that he'd just basically be the same thing as Gogoat. Personally, I'd like to see an older character get put in 3D, like KAOS or Kleever.
What about a Kremling enemy that's not part of a hypothetical King K. Rool move set? Like Zingers/Kritter/Klaptrap?
hey guys its nice to see you.
just came here to say that i was in the hospital for awhile and have been very sick(have been since june 1st)

i wont be visiting here as often as i used to or be as actively supporting k rool as i used to do but i still support k rool for smash and i will be watching from the sidelines,from now on im going to have to sit this one out and let you fellow kutthroats continue.

thank you guys for the good times we had on this thread.....i expect to see a trailer for a certain krocodile in october. bye
Sorry to hear about that. For your sake I hope you get better eventually.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
My Ideal Endgame for DK series content:

Characters: DK (Funky costume), Diddy, K. Rool, Dixie, Cranky
Stages: Jungle Japes, Mine Cart Madness, Gangplank Galleon
Assist Trophies: Klump & Krusha, Chunky
Items: Animal Buddy Crate
Smash Run Enemies: Kritter, Tiki Buzz, Tucks, Klump, Krusha, Zinger, Klobber
Misc.: Cranky Comments on Jungle Japes

@ Dudery and FAITH forever Dudery and FAITH forever Glad you stopped by! Hope you're feeling well, and know that we're halfway through the ballot and still trying our darndest to make the dream of K. Rool a reality (and, knock on wood, doing well, based on fan polls).

Last edited:

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
The kremlings have been buying votes by paying off the greedy penguins with bananas, anyway. :laugh:

They're banana-laundering! They have to get rid of the stolen Banana Horde somehow.
This may be a silly question, but why does DK hoard a food as perishable as bananas anyway? And why would K. Rool and the kremlings go to the effort of stealing them if they're going to rot before long?

That Source Gaming post about K. Rool reminded me of something I've been wondering about for a while. How do you think Sakurai and co. are going to use the ballot?

On one hand, Iwata said that Sakurai and co. will "consider" each ballot, which seems like evidence that it's not just about which characters get the most votes. I'd imagine that practical issues with getting the rights to use third party characters probably would also play a role in preventing the ballot from just being about the sheer number of votes that characters received. On the other hand, if the ballot were merely a suggestion box about bringing characters to the Smash developers' attention, it seems to me like it'd have a much more limited role. I'd be sort of surprised if Sakurai and co. hadn't already at least considered the possibility of adding K. Rool, Daisy, Paper Mario, Krystal, Geno, and others based on their popularity during the development of both Smash 4 and Brawl. There's even some concrete evidence of that for Dixie and Toon Zelda/Shiek in Brawl. Plus, given Wolf''s status as a veteran, Sakurai and co. aren't unaware of him either.

Is the ballot about bringing up more obscure characters or showing why characters who don't seem like fighters at first glance (e.g., villager before Smash 4) could work in Smash? My uninformed guess is that there's part of that, but a big part of the ballot is also about showing Sakurai and co. how popular a character is among Smash fans. I don't really know though. What do you think?

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
That Source Gaming post about K. Rool reminded me of something I've been wondering about for a while. How do you think Sakurai and co. are going to use the ballot?
Popularity first and foremost. Single character DLC has to sell on the merits of the individual character, especially if it's a newcomer. Whoever is processing the ballots will probably skim the vast majority of write-ups and tell Sakurai and the dev team "here's the stuff that keeps popping up in this character's ballot," so Sakurai can consider why the fans want them (so he might make a judgment on whether or not that character would be worthwhile). But that's more minor compared to being able to have statistics on who is the most popular from what demographics.

Last edited:

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
So.. have you guys basically accepted that King K. Rool will be who ends up getting the most votes? Because from what I've seen, it seems like that's going to happen. I'd go as far to say he's a shoe-in at this point.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
This may be a silly question, but why does DK hoard a food as perishable as bananas anyway? And why would K. Rool and the kremlings go to the effort of stealing them if they're going to rot before long?
I have always wondered that myself! :laugh: The very notion of the horde being constantly replenished due to the entire thing frequently being consumed before it goes bad is a scary thought...

So.. have you guys basically accepted that King K. Rool will be who ends up getting the most votes? Because from what I've seen, it seems like that's going to happen. I'd go as far to say he's a shoe-in at this point.
Complacency is deadly. It wouldn't be safe to assume anything unless or until an official announcement is made, if you ask me.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
We accept that he's pretty much the most popular Nintendo newcomer worldwide. However, there are a lot of factors we don't know about in regards to development and character choices, so we're remaining cautiously optimistic and don't want to call him a "shoe-in," lest we lessen up our aggressive campaign and feel complacent only to be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I also saw many different users who inspired me to join Speculation (or what's remaining of it) FalKoopa, Chronobound, Young Horsetail(now known as Valkyre), Swampasaur, Bkupa666 and so on.
That warms my heart. :)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

On one hand, Iwata said that Sakurai and co. will "consider" each ballot, which seems like evidence that it's not just about which characters get the most votes. I'd imagine that practical issues with getting the rights to use third party characters probably would also play a role in preventing the ballot from just being about the sheer number of votes that characters received. On the other hand, if the ballot were merely a suggestion box about bringing characters to the Smash developers' attention, it seems to me like it'd have a much more limited role. I'd be sort of surprised if Sakurai and co. hadn't already at least considered the possibility of adding K. Rool, Daisy, Paper Mario, Krystal, Geno, and others based on their popularity during the development of both Smash 4 and Brawl. There's even some concrete evidence of that for Dixie and Toon Zelda/Shiek in Brawl. Plus, given Wolf''s status as a veteran, Sakurai and co. aren't unaware of him either.

Is the ballot about bringing up more obscure characters or showing why characters who don't seem like fighters at first glance (e.g., villager before Smash 4) could work in Smash? My uninformed guess is that there's part of that, but a big part of the ballot is also about showing Sakurai and co. how popular a character is among Smash fans. I don't really know though. What do you think?
I interpret "consider" as a way to pad the blow for the Banjo, Shantae, Shovel Knight etc. voters, as well as little kids optimistic that because their friends all voted for Dry Bones, that Dry Bones will get into the game. Based on the characters we have so far, the "fanservice" quote and common financial sense, I'm predicting that the highest few vote-getters without major licensing or production obstacles in their paths will be selected, barring something unpredictable like a developer vendetta or an act of God.

As we know, Sakurai and the team do basic research into character popularity, but this game's research in particular seemed both rudimentary and outdated...they conducted an internal poll, as well as a supposed external one (that no one ever saw, which means the old Brawl poll was probably reused, especially since it was cited as a reason for Mega Man's addition). As such, you're probably right in that the ballot's main function is to quantify character popularity to account for both modern times (2015, rather than 2005) and Western tastes (since the West has never been officially polled for Smash characters before).

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, Sakurai held at least one official poll for Brawl... exclusive to Japan in a much more limited internet at the time. Since then he hasn't had anything but "research." In 2015 with a ballot that has international spread, there's no precedent for this. I wonder if he'll be surprised that K. Rool is still so popular? Arguably even moreso than before, since he's looking at western votes where he'll undoubtedly dominate.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Last edited:
3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I could listen to Gangplank Galleon all day, every day.
Real talk: If K. Rool gets a gameplay trailer Smash, am I the only one hoping it starts like so many others, with K. Rool just goofing off, running, showing taunts, etc. while the first part of Gangplank Galleon plays, then, when the music starts getting softer, with the epic drum drop, that's when we'll start seeing some epic combos, techs, and attacks to make K. Rool look good?

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Listen to this while reading:

I think it's time to talk about how long i have been lurking....
It all started around half of 2013,i saw many character threads,Takamaru,Ridley,Palutena,Waluigi,Dixie Kong...etc.
But one had my attention,the K.Rool thread,i remember almost all the topics of coversation that this thread had.Diddy's Reveal, the Kremlings in Smash Run, all good stuff.

But i also remember all those moments that we felt like there was no hope,moments that i felt i just wanted to give up, like the ESRB Leak for example.

During my journey of lurking in the character threads i've seen many characters succeed(Little Mac,Palutena and Mega Man) while others failed and were doomed to NPC limbo (Takamaru,Chrom,Waluigi).......
I also saw many different users who inspired me to join Speculation (or what's remaining of it) FalKoopa, Chronobound, Young Horsetail(now known as Valkyre), Swampasaur, Bkupa666 and so on.

But what i want to happen to Isaac and K.Rool is that they make it as the ballot choices...and the reason is because i want them to have a future (ESPECIALLY for Isaac and Golden Sun), and have their legacy recognized and respected by people around the world.(wich is why im not gonna be that dissapointed if the Inklings, Dixie and Bandanna Dee don't make it,since at least i think they have a bright future.)

I know that my Dream newcomer Simon Belmont is nothing but that, an almost impossible Dream, and i don't want that to happen to K.Rool and Isaac.

I want to see people be happy, to see one of the greatest Nintendo Villains and a great RPG hero duke it out with the rest of Nintendo's cast...

When the Ballot ends i want to see Social Character forums for The Venus adept and the Krocodile King and whenever i enter SmashWiki's page i can visit Isaac and K.Rool's character pages and read...

"King K. Rool was one of the characters choosen to be DLC in SSB4 due to the Ballot, alongside Isaac."
......if that doesn't happen, i at least can say that we tried our best.

...and that was my (horrible) attempt to make an inspirational speech for any Kutthroats out there who have not voted for King K.Rool (and also for any GS fan out there who hasn't voted for Isaac yet too) hope you like it, since it was inspired by Chronobound's posts on the Roy Legacy support thread.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Hey man, good to see you. Take it easy and recover. K. Rool isn't (quite as) important as your health, for real.

Not too much. Lucas, Roy and Ryu got released, Sakurai clarified in Famitsu that he's going to be focusing on "fanservice" from here on out with only "several" more characters left.
Pre release When sakurai said they are only several mre newcomer trailers left how many were left?
Wasent it just 2?
Bowser jr and DHD?
I think he said that after Robins trailer that they are only several newcomer trailers left.
Bkus Dark pit and Dr mario didnt get a trailer.
Just that words such as several could mean anything depending on the person...
We defintently know its atleast 2 though ber minimum its 2.

I think we will get 3.
Its alotta work...and these are new chars.
I wonder how long Ryu took to develop.

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Pre release When sakurai said they are only several mre newcomer trailers left how many were left?
Wasent it just 2?
Bowser jr and DHD?
I think he said that after Robins trailer that they are only several newcomer trailers left.

I think we will get 3.
Dr. Mario didn't get a trailer because he isn't a newcomer.
Don't know why Dark Pit didn't get one though.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
It pains me to do this but... I'm putting in my vote for K. Rool. I was on the Banjo & Kazooie train for a long time, but as time goes on, they just seem, less and less viable still, even in light of recent news. Part of me kind of wants to commit and say that my vote will show support for the bird and bear, making it possible for them to be considered... but I'm more and more doubting how likely that scenario is. That said, I've been lurking here for awhile, and my heart truly is in the K. Rool wagon than it is the bird and the bear. Furthermore, while K. Rool is likely at this point, y'all are right in saying that he's far from a "lock", and that we can always do more to bolster fan support for our king. I'll still be keeping my eyes peeled though, for any signs supporting the bird and the bear's viability for Smash. Thoughts?

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
*looks at your signature*
I remember that picture.
I made that. :4pacman:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Don't know why Dark Pit didn't get one though.
I suspect it's because he was originally just meant to be a costume assigned to Pit's roster-slot, much like the Koopalings with Bowser Jr., and it was changed at the last minute along with Dr. Mario and Lucina. They simply rolled Dark Pit's debut into Palutena's trailer.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
It pains me to do this but... I'm putting in my vote for K. Rool. I was on the Banjo & Kazooie train for a long time, but as time goes on, they just seem, less and less viable still, even in light of recent news. Part of me kind of wants to commit and say that my vote will show support for the bird and bear, making it possible for them to be considered... but I'm more and more doubting how likely that scenario is. That said, I've been lurking here for awhile, and my heart truly is in the K. Rool wagon than it is the bird and the bear. Furthermore, while K. Rool is likely at this point, y'all are right in saying that he's far from a "lock", and that we can always do more to bolster fan support for our king. I'll still be keeping my eyes peeled though, for any signs supporting the bird and the bear's viability for Smash. Thoughts?
Your vote is certainly appreciated every little bit helps. If nothing else every vote
That goes in shows more and more how many fans want K. Rool! I too al an advocate for Banjo & Kazooie but it does look bleak for them to get in. Atleast in Smash 4 anyway....you know they'll be the big announcement for Smash 5.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Your vote is certainly appreciated every little bit helps. If nothing else every vote
That goes in shows more and more how many fans want K. Rool! I too al an advocate for Banjo & Kazooie but it does look bleak for them to get in. Atleast in Smash 4 anyway....you know they'll be the big announcement for Smash 5.
One could dream for Smash 5, that's for sure. Sakurai has gone on record to say that nothing will top the hype of Snake, but that Megaman came pretty close. I think Banjo & Kazooie would come close to trumping both of them in terms of hype reaction.

StormC

Smash Hero
Real talk: If K. Rool gets a gameplay trailer Smash, am I the only one hoping it starts like so many others, with K. Rool just goofing off, running, showing taunts, etc. while the first part of Gangplank Galleon plays, then, when the music starts getting softer, with the epic drum drop, that's when we'll start seeing some epic combos, techs, and attacks to make K. Rool look good?
I'm hoping that they build up to his appearance with showing DK/Diddy/other villains while the whimsical part of the song plays, then when the intense notes begin, K. Rool's splash screen appears (like the Lucas trailer) and the rest is as you said, combos and fighting.

Banjo-Kazooie is one of my favorite games of all time so I feel you on your wish to see the bear and bird. In my opinion, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the idea of Microsoft meddling with a Nintendo crossover, as I feel it would open floodgates that would make future speculation and roster inclusion even messier, and I don't know how much their gameplay would excite me when we've already seen the same basic concept in Duck Hunt. Still, as Rare fans, we should all be happy that their characters are so popular on this ballot. K. Rool getting in instead of Banjo would still be a fantastic tribute to their legacy.

Wasent it just 2?
Bowser jr and DHD?

I think we will get 3.
Three trailers, Shulk, Bowser Jr., and Duck Hunt.

Sir_Killz

Smash Cadet
So, with the thought of several more characters on the way all being fan service. What is the chance that, let's just say King K. Rool makes it in. Which I'm not implying he is already guaranteed. What is the chance that in this upcoming direct in August he is shown? If Wolf makes it in would he be more likely to be shown than K Rool? I just don't want to have to wait. It would be like the biggest weight off my shoulders if they showed him in this up coming direct.

StormC

Smash Hero
What is the chance that in this upcoming direct in August he is shown? If Wolf makes it in would he be more likely to be shown than K Rool? I just don't want to have to wait. It would be like the biggest weight off my shoulders if they showed him in this up coming direct.
Fairly slim, but not impossible. If K. Rool is ready to show in August, they'd have started to develop him within a month or so in the ballot, at the latest. Wolf is more likely due to both Star Fox U on the radar and being quicker and easier to make as a veteran. However, if Sakurai is developing the ballot characters within certain timeframes (say he picks one from the first batch, then later picks another), K. Rool is very likely to be the first one.

Top Bottom