• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I do have to wonder if K. Rool was in DKCR, would he have been prioritized by the dev team and put in instead of one of the characters we have now?

If so, maybe :4bowserjr: would be cut since he was already almost cut anyway and their playstyles would have overlap.
I would honestly prefer :4palutena: getting the boot butthat'sjustmyopinion

I do have to wonder if K. Rool was in DKCR, would he have been prioritized by the dev team and put in instead of one of the characters we have now?

If so, maybe :4bowserjr: would be cut since he was already almost cut anyway and their playstyles would have overlap.
Any character that would have been cut because of time constraints would get in as DLC anyway, so it wouldn't really matter which character would have been cut in favor of K. Rool.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
It's tough to think of a character with any remotely notable profile that people weren't calling a lock at some point or another. Most of them are due to the whole "new game = shoo-in" stupidity that, judging by a lot of threads I've seen, still hasn't dissipated. You'd think Chrom would've shot this down a long time ago.
Tbh Little mac and Palutena i was as sure they were gonna be in as much as Mario and Link

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I want cranky kong
Or would he just be a marth clone?
But uses his cane instead of Sword?
Maybe he can have some sort of Warlock punch?

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
This wait for August is killing me. I really want to see the next character (Preferably King K Rool, or the Ice Climbers), or at the very least, get Peach's Castle and Hyrule Castle.

New downloadable content is sweet when it comes, but waiting for it is true torture.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This wait for August is killing me. I really want to see the next character (Preferably King K Rool, or the Ice Climbers), or at the very least, get Peach's Castle and Hyrule Castle.

New downloadable content is sweet when it comes, but waiting for it is true torture.
Ice Climbers...Have been disconfirmed...Sakurai said he couldn't get them to work even if he removed the game's gravity

StormC

Smash Hero
Ice Climbers
Well... you heard about this new information, right?

Even if I cram in as many fighters as I can, there are some people who are focused on the few who didn’t make it back. Among them are the Ice Climbers, who were playable during development on the Wii U. However, moving the two as a pair required significant processing power. The 3DS was already being pushed to its limit, and I couldn’t get them to work no matter how hard I tried, so I gave up on them. The other fighters had to be whittled and pared down until I could get them to work, so it was simply unavoidable.

I couldn’t get them to work no matter how hard I tried: I removed as many joints as I possibly could, and even when I removed certain effects, like gravity, they still wouldn’t work. Olimar and his Pikmin were also extremely difficult, but I managed to at least get them to work.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Ice Climbers...Have been disconfirmed...Sakurai said he couldn't get them to work even if he removed the game's gravity
He also said they worked perfectly fine on the Wii U. Put them in like normal on the Wii U version, and make Solo Popo on the 3DS with a Nana alt, and bam, Ice Climbers. Wishful thinking, but I'll keep wishing just the same. :)

Regardless, this is not an IC thread, therefore, it'd be better off if we just stuck to K. Rool.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Atleast be Wolf plz....only wolf and banjo would get me crazy other than k.rool.
Expecially banjo

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
As a big Dixie fan, I think the sourcegaming article is somewhat unbalanced. Any mention of Dixie Kong is only used to temper expectations of K. Rool. That is, Dixie is portrayed almost entirely through her strengths. While the article is about K. Rool's chances, Dixie's strengths AND weaknesses are part of the conversation. Specifically, despite the author acknowledging K. Rool's "immense popularity", they never discuss this factor with relation to Dixie in the same way they discuss Dixie's "relevance" with relation to K. Rool. Similarly, K. Rool's "moveset potential" is mentioned but also remains disconnected from Dixie Kong.

Dixie is also spared some obvious non-K. Rool related qualifications to her perceived strength. For example, when mentioning her as part of the "Forbidden Seven", the author states that "three of [these] have already made their return" to Smash Bros Wii U /3DS. What the author does not mention is that all three are veterans that were already included in a previous installment of Super Smash brothers (Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, and Roy). None of the potential Brawl newcomers from the "Forbidden Seven" have joined Smash bros Wii U/3DS. Given this fact, it seems far more believable to me that these three characters were included again because they were actually in a previous installment of Smash Brothers. I do not think Sakurai having some previous plan for these characters is all that persuasive if none of the potential new characters have actually made it into the game. In any case, while this conclusion can be debated, the point is that Dixie is portrayed uniformly through strength. Even to the point of playing fast and loose with those supposed strengths.

In other words, the conversation seems skewed because K. Rool's perceived weaknesses are discussed with Dixie's perceived strengths but any potential weakness of the latter is left to subtle implication (at most). Where K. Rool's strengths are mentioned, Dixie is absent from the commentary. How can we honestly evaluate K. Rool's chances if his strengths are not discussed explicitly and directly with respect to his "stiff" competition? At the very least, it makes calling Dixie "stiff" competition seem premature.

If the author returns to the subject in the future, I hope they restructure the discussion as a cohesive evaluation of K. Rool's circumstances. Right now, it reads almost like a rebuttal.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
When Sakurai says stuff like "they were working on the Wii U" it doesn't help. Wii U users feel jipped that a whole character was cut because an inferior version of Smash couldn't keep up with it.

As a big Dixie fan, I think the sourcegaming article is somewhat unbalanced. Any mention of Dixie Kong is only used to temper expectations of K. Rool. That is, Dixie is portrayed almost entirely through her strengths. While the article is about K. Rool's chances, Dixie's strengths AND weaknesses are part of the conversation. Specifically, despite the author acknowledging K. Rool's "immense popularity", they never discuss this factor with relation to Dixie in the same way they discuss Dixie's "relevance" with relation to K. Rool. Similarly, K. Rool's "moveset potential" is mentioned but also remains disconnected from Dixie Kong.

In other words, the conversation seems skewed because K. Rool's perceived weaknesses are discussed with Dixie's perceived strengths but any potential weakness of the latter is left to subtle implication (at most). Where K. Rool's strengths are mentioned, Dixie is absent from the commentary. How can we honestly evaluate K. Rool's chances if his strengths are not discussed explicitly and directly with respect to his "stiff" competition? At the very least, it makes calling Dixie "stiff" competition seem premature.

If the author returns to the subject in the future, I hope they restructure the discussion as a cohesive evaluation of K. Rool's circumstances. Right now, it reads almost like a rebuttal.
Dixie's weaknesses weren't necessary to discuss at length as it's not about her. It's about the hurdles that K. Rool faces, going into depth about another character's weaknesses wouldn't offer any insight into the actual topic at hand, and shifts focus away from the entire point of the article. It's not a "Dixie vs. K. Rool debate". Dixie's weaknesses aren't a hurdle that K. Rool has to overcome.

And it is structured in part as a rebuttal, if you read the intro you'll see that it's aimed at people who are referring to K. Rool as a lock. Of which there are many.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Dixie's weaknesses may not be a hurdle that K. Rool has to overcome, but they are relevant to the discussion because they relate to whether K. Rool can overcome the hurdles Dixie presents. Because of that, presenting Dixie Kong only through her strengths is not a holistic evaluation of K. Rool's chances.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Dixie's weaknesses may not be a hurdle that K. Rool has to overcome, but they are relevant to the discussion because they relate to whether K. Rool can overcome the hurdles Dixie presents. Because of that, presenting Dixie Kong only through her strengths is not a holistic evaluation of K. Rool's chances.
I wouldn't even say that I did present her only through her strengths, and certainly not as a character who is more likely. I emphasised at the end that I felt they were about equal with the "levelled playing field", and made sure to note that K. Rool was by far the most requested 1st Party newcomer. This is an opinion based article so I knew it could potentially drum up some controversy. Thanks for reading and giving feedback anyway :), means a lot to me.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
@ TheAnvil TheAnvil , if this was Rate Their Chances, what percentage would you give K. Rool?
Collectively, I'm about 90% sure that one of either Dixie or K. Rool will be in DLC, and I'd put their chances at pretty much the same now. So technically that puts them at 45% each. (The only character I'd rate higher is Wolf).

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Dude... Santa K. Laus would be an awesome getup.
I can just imagine it now - he'd break into people's houses to steal their stuff, spreading dread and bad vibes across the festive season.

Sort of like Santabot from Futurama, only with less death and destruction. Well, ok, only with less death.

Enemy Birds

Smash Cadet
I want cranky kong
Or would he just be a marth clone?
But uses his cane instead of Sword?
Maybe he can have some sort of Warlock punch?
I would kill to get Cranky in Smash as well. He should have his TF cane hop, and his side special should involve throwing a barrel.

StormC

Smash Hero
DK/Diddy/K. Rool/Dixie/Cranky is pretty much the ideal endgame Donkey Kong roster.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
DK/Diddy/K. Rool/Dixie/Cranky is pretty much the ideal endgame Donkey Kong roster.
I agree. After Dixie and K. Rool are in, Cranky is the next logical rep and is iconic/popular/unique enough to be added IMO.

You could possibly justify 1 more after that depending on how big the roster is. But there's no clear cut choice. It could be Funky or Jr, or maybe even someone like Lanky.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
While I would like to see Dixie and have no qualms with her inclusion, I think people are over estimating her against K. Rool. If this ballot is truly about fan votes Dixie dosnt seem to be getting nearly as much support as the King. She's often several spots behind him on straw polls, and I know they're not a great indication but if were counting K. Rools placement as a good indicator of his popularity we should also consider that for Dixie aswell. At this point it's unfair to say that K. Rool and Dixie are even, if were purely considering fan votes. Regardless one of them should be getting in but if K. Rool gets snubbed for Dixie than I think it had more to do with bias on Sakurais/Nintendos part than pure fan votes. I'd like to reiterate that I support Dixie and would like to see her im not saying fans don't want her.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I feel like Cranky is just a bonus. The other four are necessary for the DK series.
I agree! Honestly, I could easily forgo Cranky. Part of his purpose is that he's retired and has kept up his status as a video game character by appearing as an NPC, and I've always felt that making him a playable character just completely, and astoundingly, missed the fundamental point of him that was laid down loudly from the very start.

Even if it was bound to happen eventually for whatever reason, I'm still disappointed that it was before K. Rool returned to the series. At least with that order of events, you could almost find some justification for it. :laugh:

StormC

Smash Hero
Cranky is the most prominent NPC in the series that recently was playable in a Donkey Kong Country. He's the ORIGINAL Donkey Kong and that alone would be incredible to have in Smash, next to Pac-Man and Mario.

Also, he'd be our first old man fighter.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I agree! Honestly, I could easily forgo Cranky. Part of his purpose is that he's retired and has kept up his status as a video game character by appearing as an NPC, and I've always felt that making him a playable character just completely, and astoundingly, missed the fundamental point of him that was laid down loudly from the very start.

Even if it was bound to happen eventually for whatever reason, I'm still disappointed that it was before K. Rool returned to the series. At least with that order of events, you could almost find some justification for it. :laugh:
Cranky should be an AT like Mr. Resetti (WHY WAS HE REMOVED HE WAS GREAT). Or a type of Palutena's guidance/Snake codec.

@ StormC StormC not if we get Vince from Art Academy (this would be so funny).

Last edited:

Enemy Birds

Smash Cadet

Well, in Tropical Freeze, Cranky Kong was forced to go on an adventure, and once he got going, it looked like he was enjoying it. I don't think it's too big a stretch to imagine him swallowing his pride and joining the rest of the crew going forward. More Cranky Kong for everyone!

EDIT: Though I'm not saying it means Sakurai's likely to add him to Smash. Would be AMAZING if he did, though.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
He's the ORIGINAL Donkey Kong and that alone would be incredible to have in Smash, next to Pac-Man and Mario.
Does this mean that Alfonzo will have to take his background place in 75m when Cranky's on the stage?

Also, he'd be our first old man fighter.
EDIT: Though I'm not saying it means Sakurai's likely to add him to Smash. Would be AMAZING if he did, though.
Ok, now that would be genuinely interesting. I do like the potential angle of the old master joining in to show all those young upstarts what-for. :laugh:

I have this sneaking suspicion that Vince would have more of a chance at being an Assist Trophy, much like Dr. Kawashima. Indeed, should likeness-rights issues ever occur with Dr. Kawashima (being, as he is, based on a real person, this could potentially happen in the future), I would fully expect Vince to be the front-runner to take that Assist Trophy slot.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
While I would like to see Dixie and have no qualms with her inclusion, I think people are over estimating her against K. Rool. If this ballot is truly about fan votes Dixie dosnt seem to be getting nearly as much support as the King. She's often several spots behind him on straw polls, and I know they're not a great indication but if were counting K. Rools placement as a good indicator of his popularity we should also consider that for Dixie aswell. At this point it's unfair to say that K. Rool and Dixie are even, if were purely considering fan votes. Regardless one of them should be getting in but if K. Rool gets snubbed for Dixie than I think it had more to do with bias on Sakurais/Nintendos part than pure fan votes. I'd like to reiterate that I support Dixie and would like to see her im not saying fans don't want her.
There are (probably) factors beyond only fan votes. Like, even if Ridley gets the most votes, I doubt it would change Sakurai's mind about adding him. So it's basically irrelevant to say that "if we're purely considering fan votes". Fan votes aren't the only thing that counts right now. Or we'd be getting Shrek and Goku. However they do matter more than ever, which is why K. Rool's best chance is right now.

At this point, I think it's unwise to get overconfident about K. Rool's chances of being added. Complacency is a big threat right now.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I agree. After Dixie and K. Rool are in, Cranky is the next logical rep and is iconic/popular/unique enough to be added IMO.

You could possibly justify 1 more after that depending on how big the roster is. But there's no clear cut choice. It could be Funky or Jr, or maybe even someone like Lanky.
Its gotta be Funky kong then hes pretty OG too.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Its gotta be Funky kong then hes pretty OG too.
He's pretty damn popular. Mario Kart Wii probably facilitated a lot of that. (Man Mario Kart 8's roster was such a let down).
Cranky should be an AT like Mr. Resetti (WHY WAS HE REMOVED HE WAS GREAT). Or a type of Palutena's guidance/Snake codec.

Vince from Art Academy is such a Sakurai character to add. I could easily see him being the WFT of the next Smash game.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

I was thinking he should be more like that goat pokemon except he runs you over with his rocking chair as seen here with him moving around in it at 2:15. xD

Top Bottom