• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Hopefully they post here!

I've been having a back and forth with a person for a while on why K. Rool should be in Smash, and they haven't been budging much and are pretty much writing off his moveset potential as a "gimmick" and that he was just an excuse for Donkey Kong to go on an adventure. It's disappointing that some people are so set in their ways, but all one can do is remain civil, I suppose.
You sometimes will find people who start from the conclusion that "K. Rool shouldn't be in Smash" and work backward from there to justify the stance, rather than the inverse. Not much can be done about it if they don't accept that the majority of the roster can be argued to be "gimmicky" or trivial in their roles, but that's life, I guess.
Well, you know what they say, GATOR'S GONNA GATE.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I honestly feel like the ballot is basically the best thing for K. Rool, outside of a new game, and even that is arguable.

-Popularity rules the ballot, and that's K. Rool's biggest selling point (literally).
-Dixie wasn't in the base game either so people don't think "there's enough Donkey Kong characters."
-Wolf's (and initially, Mewtwo's) removal and Ridley's deconfirmation has left people wanting more villains.
-No super heavyweights added to the game.
-His competition is mostly either veterans (with Lucas and Roy already added) or minor leaguers.
-No active role in the game.

As someone else said, it's gotten to the point where even non-fans will be very confused if K. Rool doesn't get in.
K. Rool is by far the character with the most to gain from this ballot.

Although I'm still unsure of what exactly the ballot means overall, and I consider K. Rool far from being the lock that many seem to consider him to be. The ballot is potentially a great equaliser for him and Dixie.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I hope so but chances of that happening are unlikley especially when it's Sakurai who's handling(and abusing) the power.
People say things like this frequently, but I believe that Sakurai will be sorely missed after he retires from the series, and we see Diddy Kong and K. Rool cut and replaced with Wiggler and Honey Queen, whilst some power-ups get given their own new character slots...

This is the only time you will ever see someone legitimately say this: Mario Kart's roster is a bad omen for the future.

:laugh:

Were is his Giovanni Armour from the anime?
Chilling with the version of Pac-Man from Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures, I would imagine - Sakurai seems to stick by Smash being about video games, not spin-off TV shows.

In fact, the only reference I've ever seen him make to such things was when he stated that DK's white alt makes him look like a yeti, which was an obvious call-out to the DKC TV show.

Last edited:

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
I believe Sakurai will look for the right successor to the series once he finally decides to retire. I'm pretty sure he wants anything but the roster to become like Mario Kart 8's roster.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
I believe Sakurai will look for the right successor to the series once he finally decides to retire. I'm pretty sure he wants anything but the roster to become like Mario Kart 8's roster.
As much as I love Mario Kart 8 and the Luigi's death stare, I can't accept to have Baby Rosalina, Pink Gold Peach, Cat Peach and Tanooki Mario over Diddy, Bowser Jr, Birdo and King Boo.

StormC

Smash Hero
He'll clone himself. Solid Sakurai will take over the series.

Enemy Birds

Smash Cadet
Ahoy! Man, with all this popularity, K. Rool DLC is so close I can almost taste it! . . . I think.

So this is my first time officially posting my support the King (other than on Smash Ballots), but I've been lurking here since before the full Sm4sh roster was revealed. It was pretty disappointing to find out he wasn't in the base game, but just like K. Rool, you guys haven't let a little kredits sequence be the end of the battle, and neither will I.

I never actually thought about it before seeing all the support for his inclusion in Sm4sh, but K. Rool is probably my favorite villain. He's funny, he's menacing, he's klever, and he's fun to fight. He has so much Smash potential you could ride a wagon down it. It'd be a real shame if he didn't make it at this point.

And for the record, if they had the costumes from the different DK games as alternate pallets, I'm all for playing as the Kaptain.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
As much as I love Mario Kart 8 and the Luigi's death stare, I can't accept to have Baby Rosalina, Pink Gold Peach, Cat Peach and Tanooki Mario over Diddy, Bowser Jr, Birdo and King Boo.
Dude don't forget E. Gadd. It baffles me that Prof. E. Gadd has never been playable in a Mario Kart game.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Dude don't forget E. Gadd. It baffles me that Prof. E. Gadd has never been playable in a Mario Kart game.
It's true that E. Gadd would be pretty cool. (and at least he appeared in Mario games before you know who)
Unfortunately, all we can do his hope for more godly Mario Kart 8 DLC with those missing characters and some cool character from other Nintendo IP. :seuss:

StormC

Smash Hero
Ahoy! Man, with all this popularity, K. Rool DLC is so close I can almost taste it! . . . I think.

So this is my first time officially posting my support the King (other than on Smash Ballots), but I've been lurking here since before the full Sm4sh roster was revealed. It was pretty disappointing to find out he wasn't in the base game, but just like K. Rool, you guys haven't let a little kredits sequence be the end of the battle, and neither will I.

I never actually thought about it before seeing all the support for his inclusion in Sm4sh, but K. Rool is probably my favorite villain. He's funny, he's menacing, he's klever, and he's fun to fight. He has so much Smash potential you could ride a wagon down it. It'd be a real shame if he didn't make it at this point.

And for the record, if they had the costumes from the different DK games as alternate pallets, I'm all for playing as the Kaptain.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
People say things like this frequently, but I believe that Sakurai will be sorely missed after he retires from the series, and we see Diddy Kong and K. Rool cut and replaced with Wiggler and Honey Queen, whilst some power-ups get given their own new character slots...

This is the only time you will ever see someone legitimately say this: Mario Kart's roster is a bad omen for the future.

:laugh:
I feel your pain on the MK roster, particularly 8 (though 7 was pretty bad too). I am a huge fan of the series (probably put more time into it than Smash Bros all told) but MK8 was the first one I skipped and the biggest reason is their excuse for a roster (though the item Balancing makes me angry too). When reviews came out I was legitimately angry that the game was getting praised. Instead of adding characters who shouldve been in a long, long time ago like Kamek, they decided instead to remove a ton of fan favourites like Diddy, Jr and Dry Bones to be replaced with the laziest ideas I've ever seen. The day I saw that roster was the day I decided not to buy a Wii U and 3DS would suit me as far as Smash Bros went. As far as I'm concerned MKDS had a better roster than the most recent 2 and it was much smaller.

On topic though, I do wonder why more integration of DK characters into Mario spinoff doesn't happen. Dixie seems an obvious choice to me and K Rool would obviously be a lot of fun to see, especially if he continued his theme of dressing up with various over the top sports gear.

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
I feel your pain on the MK roster, particularly 8 (though 7 was pretty bad too). I am a huge fan of the series (probably put more time into it than Smash Bros all told) but MK8 was the first one I skipped and the biggest reason is their excuse for a roster (though the item Balavil makes me angry too). When reviews came out I was legitimately angry that the game was getting praised. Instead of adding characters who shouldve been in a long, long time ago like Kamek, they decided instead to remove a ton of fan favourites like Diddy, Jr and Dry Bones to be replaced with the laziest ideas I've ever seen. The day I saw that roster was the day I decided not to buy a Wii U and 3DS would suit me as far as Smash Bros went. As far as I'm concerned MKDS had a better roster than the most recent 2 and it was much smaller.

On topic though, I do wonder why more integration of DK characters into Mario spinoff doesn't happen. Dixie seems an obvious choice to me and K Rool would obviously be a lot of fun to see, especially if he continued his theme of dressing up with various over the top sports gear.
Wait wait wait... Even if the character roster as enormus flaws, the game is still awesome and get some of the sweetest DLC deals that you can find. Skipping this masterpiece because of a E quality roster is, in my opinion, a mistake.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Oh, I'm sure he will. I just think that the potential for this outcome is something that needs to be borne in mind.

I feel your pain on the MK roster, particularly 8 (though 7 was pretty bad too). I am a huge fan of the series (probably put more time into it than Smash Bros all told) but MK8 was the first one I skipped and the biggest reason is their excuse for a roster (though the item Balancing makes me angry too). When reviews came out I was legitimately angry that the game was getting praised. Instead of adding characters who shouldve been in a long, long time ago like Kamek, they decided instead to remove a ton of fan favourites like Diddy, Jr and Dry Bones to be replaced with the laziest ideas I've ever seen. The day I saw that roster was the day I decided not to buy a Wii U and 3DS would suit me as far as Smash Bros went. As far as I'm concerned MKDS had a better roster than the most recent 2 and it was much smaller.
I bought Mario Kart 8 on its launch, and I must admit, I was angry at it getting praise upon release, as it shipped with a huge amount of fundamental problems (the two-player mode's split-screen being vertical instead of horizontal, the less-strategic handling of items, the removal of penalties for playing badly, the menus being engineered such that the replays feature was shoved in your face at every opportunity and you had to consciously press down before hitting A after each race, and the cutting of my main a second game running, are the big ones that spring to mind immediately). It was the first time I'd ever been disappointed in a Mario Kart title!

That said, I have been getting into it recently, and have found a new main in both it and Mario Kart 7. Whilst its review scores were thoroughly undeserved at the time, the subsequent patches have fixed most of the problems (and though they didn't change the vertical split, they did pull the camera out, which addresses most of that particular issue), and the DLC packs are superb - I bought them entirely because they fixed the broken base game, and I haven't regretted it. It is worth giving it a chance now.

I wonder about this too, especially since from a merchandising perspective, they also roll the DKC characters in with the Mario ones these days.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Wait wait wait... Even if the character roster as enormus flaws, the game is still awesome and get some of the sweetest DLC deals that you can find. Skipping this masterpiece because of a E quality roster is, in my opinion, a mistake.
You see, to me the DLC also feels a bit like a scam. Cat Peach and Tanooki Mario are the heights of laziness to me and I feel it's no coincidence they were put with Link, who is the character who will move units there. Even if the price is comparatively good, I'm not shelling out my money and giving them the impression I want this sort of stuff.

I just want the Wii roster back, minus Baby Daisy, plus Kamek and perhaps a couple of additional DK characters.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

Bananija

Count of Trickery
You see, to me the DLC also feels a bit like a scam. Cat Peach and Tanooki Mario are the heights of laziness to me and I feel it's no coincidence they were put with Link, who is the character who will move units there. Even if the price is comparatively good, I'm not shelling out my money and giving them the impression I want this sort of stuff.

I just want the Wii roster back, minus Baby Daisy, plus Kamek and perhaps a couple of additional DK characters.
I didn't care for Tanooki and Cat too, but 2 cup, link, 4 new car body (plus Zelda's wheels and gliders), the alt skin when you buy the two DLC (that together come less expensive) made it up for me. And still, you should at least give a try to the main game, it's an awesome game and easily one of the five best game on the Wii U. I understand your reason for not buying it, but I think that trying it would be doing a favor to yourself.

I don't recall Voldemort appearing in Mario Kart
Really? He is hiding in a pink souless shell to piss people of.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Who was in charge for the roster of MK8?
@ BravadoMan_13 BravadoMan_13 its even more dumd that kamek aint playable he was gonna be in MK64 over DK.
DK deserved it more but i lovve kamek too

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Imo he is also the hardesy nintendo villian and like he is always tough in every game compared to like ganon...and expecially bowser...

D

Deleted member

Regarding the recency quote; adjustment to the official Source Gaming translation has been made:
Also, characters and series that have no plans for future releases, or a low possibility of future releases, inevitably will be considered lower priority.
The previous translation was "characters from series" but after I pointed out how "characters from series without a future are lower priority" and "characters and series without a future are lower priority" are two different things to PushDustIn, he and Soma looked back at the translation and decided that "characters and series" was the more accurate translation. If you have anyone that mentions "characters from series without a future" instead of "characters and series without a future", send them this quote and the link above.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
" I'm not sure if this has already been posted here but I found this poll. You all know what to do.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1FyhREL6FBQtLT3JEQVFGczO3OH63a07Q_L3SXALwUdI/viewform "

that survey is so botted lol. notice the outspring of Sora votes? Where did that come from?... hmmmmm.
Pretty much. Most of these polls sadly are botted. Luckily, its not really possible to bot the ballot because a bot can't provide a unique, detailed description every time.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Pretty much. Most of these polls sadly are botted. Luckily, its not really possible to bot the ballot because a bot can't provide a unique, detailed description every time.
I just hope no K. rool botters are amongst these poll results. I highly doubt they are with where this fanbase is at now numberwise, but you never know.

D

Deleted member

He'll clone himself. Solid Sakurai will take over the series.
I think you mean SakuraiTwo.
Get it?! SakuraiTwo? just like Mewtwo:awesome:
Im sorry:urg:
It's funny that people bash MK8 just because of the roster and yet praise MK7 despite having, in my opinion, a WORSE ROSTER.
HONNEY QUEEN BEE, METAL MARIO, A FREAKING WIGGLER AND YET NO WALUIGI. REALLY?!
Tough i have to say that i also didn't bought MK7 for the roster alone.I dind't make the same mistake with MK8 and i am glad that i bought it.(tough i will take Waluigi and the Koopalings over Honey Queen Bee and a stupid Wiggler)

Last edited by a moderator:

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I just recently remembered this and felt like asking.
Am I the only one who thought it was hilarious when, in the first DKC, falling into a bottomless pit didn't play the "you died" jingle? Just the simple sound of your life balloon popping. Cracked me up every time and I don't know why.
The GBA port was even better (worse?) because you could hear DK or Diddy screaming on the way down.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Regarding the recency quote; adjustment to the official Source Gaming translation has been made:
The previous translation was "characters from series" but after I pointed out how "characters from series without a future are lower priority" and "characters and series without a future are lower priority" are two different things to PushDustIn, he and Soma looked back at the translation and decided that "characters and series" was the more accurate translation. If you have anyone that mentions "characters from series without a future" instead of "characters and series without a future", send them this quote and the link above.
It's a good thing that the David Wise factoid and Retro's following of our Twitter movement are out there, subtly hinting at a future for K. Rool and the Kremlings. And hey, even if somehow they're not yet in a new game, all it takes is for Nintendo to say "Retro, look at all these ballot votes for K. Rool. Make him part of your future plans, whether or not he currently is, m'kay?"

StormC

Smash Hero
Am I the only one who thought it was hilarious when, in the first DKC, falling into a bottomless pit didn't play the "you died" jingle? Just the simple sound of your life balloon popping. Cracked me up every time and I don't know why.
The GBA port was even better (worse?) because you could hear DK or Diddy screaming on the way down.
I found it more on the unsettling side to just have the music playing as they fall. Which works really well; DKC1 is a really moody, quiet game in its atmosphere.

That's something else I'd really like to see in Retro's games, a little less bright, cartoony, happy, loud atmosphere with a lot of stuff going on. The original trilogy has a very minimalist approach with less action going on screen and a more subdued atmosphere.

This track really makes you feel like you're in uncharted territory. It's incredible.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I want someone, somewhere, to someday do an Instrumental Rock Remix (Sorta like SSB4's PAC-MAN'S PARK/BLOCK TOWN) of "I'm gonna be a Star"
:4diddy:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
I found it more on the unsettling side to just have the music playing as they fall. Which works really well; DKC1 is a really moody, quiet game in its atmosphere.

That's something else I'd really like to see in Retro's games, a little less bright, cartoony, happy, loud atmosphere with a lot of stuff going on. The original trilogy has a very minimalist approach with less action going on screen and a more subdued atmosphere.

This track really makes you feel like you're in uncharted territory. It's incredible.
The dkc trio ost's all make you feel like you're in a serene adventurous environment of some kind. They're simply beautiful. I could go on forever about how much I love dkc 1-3's osts :bee::redface:.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
I see where the balloon popping could be humorous. As a young child I built up a bad feeling for the balloon pop sound because it usually meant an impending game over soon lol.

StormC

Smash Hero
Eveline Fischer's work on DKC3 is sublime. A criminally underrated soundtrack.

On a side note, I just got done talking to my older brother (who grew up playing the DKC games like me but hasn't played games in a long time) about the Smash Ballot and K. Rool. It was pretty interesting hearing his feedback.

-He thinks the King design is really generic and wants the Kaptain one more.
-He agrees 100% with K. Rool having a lot of potential as a fighter and it'd be really cool to see it realized.
-He was shocked that K. Rool had been neglected by Nintendo for so long.
-He thinks there's value in K. Rool as a character that would bask in 90s nostalgia - he used the term "throwback" specifically, and that people like him (27 year old) would definitely appreciate the chance to play as a character from their childhood.

Sounded like he'd probably vote for him, but he wanted to research the other popular options too before deciding.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I just hope no K. rool botters are amongst these poll results. I highly doubt they are with where this fanbase is at now numberwise, but you never know.
There have been some in the past. But usually only the characters who would typically rank lower are the ones that get botted. Such as Wonder Red for example.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Jakks Pacific announced some awesome Star Fox plushes for their World of Nintendo line today. I just took the plunge and dropped them a line to ask if they're going to be making any DKC merchandise, including King K. Rool, too. The Star Fox plushes are a response to fan-demand, and they do have the DK license, so I figured why not? :laugh: (I collect video game stuff. I really want some K. Rool stuff to add to that. Going on their NES-specific stuff, Jakks don't seem bothered about recency, either - just what's iconic.)

Any other game merchandise collectors going to give this a go? :p

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Jakks Pacific announced some awesome Star Fox plushes for their World of Nintendo line today. I just took the plunge and dropped them a line to ask if they're going to be making any DKC merchandise, including King K. Rool, too. The Star Fox plushes are a response to fan-demand, and they do have the DK license, so I figured why not? :laugh: (I collect video game stuff. I really want some K. Rool stuff to add to that. Going on their NES-specific stuff, Jakks don't seem bothered about recency, either - just what's iconic.)

Any other game merchandise collectors going to give this a go? :p
I've asked Jakks before to add K. Rool merchandise before. I bought their Wind Waker Ganondorf figure, it's great.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I really hope he gets in! You guys deserve it! We have little to no Donkey Kong Country content! (we all should love DONG)

StormC

Smash Hero
It's pretty sad that K. Rool's helipack would be the first real honest-to-God representation of DKC3 in Smash in any form.

Top Bottom