• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I'm actually kinda ticked that the only new costumes we're getting for dlc are for mii characters. I'd rather see nrw alts for the actual nintendo characters. I mean do you know how cool Kapt. K. Rool and Dry Bowser would look together as a team? And yeah, Mewtwo in his armor from the movie would look awesome too.

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
It's always nice to see the One of Us video get posted since that usually means that a new kutthroat has joined the krew and that's always a good thing.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
I'm actually kinda ticked that the only new costumes we're getting for dlc are for mii characters. I'd rather see nrw alts for the actual nintendo characters. I mean do you know how cool Kapt. K. Rool and Dry Bowser would look together as a team? And yeah, Mewtwo in his armor from the movie would look awesome too.
Maybe after they're done with the roster they'll release one full dlc including an extra alt or two for every character.

StormC

Smash Hero
-Dry Bowser
-Armor Mewtwo
-OOT Ganondorf
-Masked Dedede
-Classic Palutena
-Mr. L

If Nintendo wanted to make a sucker out of me for paying for pointless cosmetic changes it should be those, not Mii costumes.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Maybe after they're done with the roster they'll release one full dlc including an extra alt or two for every character.
I hope so but chances of that happening are unlikley especially when it's Sakurai who's handling(and abusing) the power.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
-Dry Bowser
-Armor Mewtwo
-OOT Ganondorf
-Masked Dedede
-Classic Palutena
-Mr. L

If Nintendo wanted to make a sucker out of me for paying for pointless cosmetic changes it should be those, not Mii Costumes.
I'm at least glad they have the massive amount of mii costumes that are available. I really like using the splatoon hairstyle and I haven't even played splatoon before. But yeah hopefully we'll get some interesting skins someday, but from the looks of it with what sakurai said about "not being able to keep the team together for very long" I feel like they'll spend their time elsewhere over new skins for the cast. Hopefully on K. Rool :denzel:

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I'm surprised Krystal is as high up there as she is, her and Shantae overtaking Isaac.

I'm not surprised however that K. Rool is the King of this poll. LONG LIVE THE KING KROC.

StormC

Smash Hero
The lack of Wolf support is the strange thing to me. I had assumed it was a given that he was more requested in the west due to being a well-liked character from a big Nintendo series that is already a veteran. Outside of a SmashBoards DLC poll run before the ballot, I'm not sure I've ever seen Wolf beat K. Rool on an exit poll.

I'm sure he's dominating in Japan, though.

D

Deleted member

Juicy tidbit from new SourceGaming article:

Also of note: he clarifies that characters from series with little future are low priority, not characters themselves.
Hate to break this to you, but he did say something where characters without recent appearances are lower priority. I don't think this will matter much for DLC, but this is worth noting. I'll go find that exact quote.
Also, I wouldn't be worried about K. Rool taking the "spot." Both K. Rool and Isaac offer very different things as fighters and most signs indicate Sakurai is not going to pick just one ballot character.
True, but if King K. Rool doesn't get in, Isaac isn't happening. Isaac has the same problem as K. Rool (Sakurai's apathy towards the franchise) but compound that with a stagnate Western fan base and a Japanese fan base that has mostly collapsed and the series having an uncertain future.
Link so I can vote.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
Hate to break this to you, but he did say something where characters without recent appearances are lower priority. I don't think this will matter much for DLC, but this is worth noting.
Source?

Also, don't have a link to the voting onhand, but it was posted a few pages ago.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I'm surprised Krystal is as high up there as she is, her and Shantae overtaking Isaac.

I'm not surprised however that K. Rool is the King of this poll. LONG LIVE THE KING KROC.
But. There is one they fear
In their tongue he is King K. Rool
Dragonkroc
FUS RO RAWR!

D

Deleted member

Source?

Also, don't have a link to the voting onhand, but it was posted a few pages ago.
Here.
When it comes to characters and series without any future plans – that is, without the prospect for new games to come out soon – those are always going to be a lower priority.
Sakurai doesn't say "characters from series without a future are lower priority" but "characters and series without a future are lower priority"; these are two different things. And with the latter, it means that even if King K. Rool is from a healthy franchise, he is effected negatively because he has not appeared for a long time. This is a likely partial explanation for why King K. Rool didn't get in the initial roster.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Geez, is Shantae really that popular..? I knew she was doing fairly well, but... Wow. I personally don't understand what makes her so heavily requested, but I have to be impressed by the people pushing that much to get her in. It's impressive.

However, no force on earth can stop our mighty king from having his day, except the will of Sakurai himself.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Interesting to see how far Shovel Knight has fallen in that poll. That and how popular Shantae has apparently become are the two most surprising things to me there; they've practically switched places.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Prepare the One of Us video one more time, please :)

A friend just asked me why K. Rool should be in Smash, and I almost wrote her a complete essay.

StormC

Smash Hero
A friend just asked me why K. Rool should be in Smash, and I almost wrote her a complete essay.
Hopefully they post here!

I've been having a back and forth with a person for a while on why K. Rool should be in Smash, and they haven't been budging much and are pretty much writing off his moveset potential as a "gimmick" and that he was just an excuse for Donkey Kong to go on an adventure. It's disappointing that some people are so set in their ways, but all one can do is remain civil, I suppose.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Btw, I'm also missing from the supporter list, so someone add me, please :)

If only we had more villains in the roster. Imagine if they added more events, with one being the return of The Showdown but thanks to 8-Player Smash now you must fight against Bowser, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Dedede, K. Rool and others.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Here.Sakurai doesn't say "characters from series without a future are lower priority" but "characters and series without a future are lower priority"; these are two different things. And with the latter, it means that even if King K. Rool is from a healthy franchise, he is effected negatively because he has not appeared for a long time. This is a likely partial explanation for why King K. Rool didn't get in the initial roster.
Exactly as I've been saying for a while.

Of course, though, its also important to note it says "lower priority," not "can't and won't happen." Since DLC is more about fanservice, that point is moot.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well there, we finally figured out exactly why K. Rool didn't get in. Dixie on the other hand still baffles me. BUT, this is all out fanservice this time, so even if K. Rool has as much of a future as Duck Hunt, he can still get in by will of the fans.

And this might put even more fuel on the fire to bring him back.

Though honestly I think it's a combination of both K. Rool seemingly "lacking a future" and Sakurai being apathetic to a degree towards DKC.

Here's hoping we're changing it all for the better!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well there, we finally figured out exactly why K. Rool didn't get in. Dixie on the other hand still baffles me. BUT, this is all out fanservice this time, so even if K. Rool has as much of a future as Duck Hunt, he can still get in by will of the fans.

And this might put even more fuel on the fire to bring him back.

Though honestly I think it's a combination of both K. Rool seemingly "lacking a future" and Sakurai being apathetic to a degree towards DKC.

Here's hoping we're changing it all for the better!
Sakurai finalized the roster before he knew anything about TF. No, its not that he doesn't like DK or even was indifferent to it, he was just too lazy to contact Retro and see if a new DK game was in development. By the time he knew about TF it was too late to add Dixie, but he did have time to add some trophies from TF.

StormC

Smash Hero
But like I said, both SourceGaming and GameInformer translated it differently.

SourceGaming: Also, characters from series that have no plans for future releases, or a low possibility of future releases, inevitably will be considered lower priority.
GameInformer: When it comes to characters and series without any future plans – that is, without the prospect for new games to come out soon – those are always going to be a lower priority.

So... which is it?

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I hope that if K. Rool ever does get added that they give him all unique costumes instead of alternate colours. It's such a huge part of his character personality. There are 6 costumes he's had in canon so far, maybe they could make up the last 2 and base them on the Tiki Tribe and Snowmads. I think that would be really appropriate.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Hopefully they post here!

I've been having a back and forth with a person for a while on why K. Rool should be in Smash, and they haven't been budging much and are pretty much writing off his moveset potential as a "gimmick" and that he was just an excuse for Donkey Kong to go on an adventure. It's disappointing that some people are so set in their ways, but all one can do is remain civil, I suppose.
You sometimes will find people who start from the conclusion that "K. Rool shouldn't be in Smash" and work backward from there to justify the stance, rather than the inverse. Not much can be done about it if they don't accept that the majority of the roster can be argued to be "gimmicky" or trivial in their roles, but that's life, I guess.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I hope that if K. Rool ever does get added that they give him all unique costumes instead of alternate colours. It's such a huge part of his character personality. There are 6 costumes he's had in canon so far, maybe they could make up the last 2 and base them on the Tiki Tribe and Snowmads. I think that would be really appropriate.

Technically, only five in canon, since Diddy Kong Pilot was canceled.

But it would be fantastic to see Pilot K. Rool (or... whatever he's called) appear again.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Sakurai finalized the roster before he knew anything about TF. No, its not that he doesn't like DK or even was indifferent to it, he was just too lazy to contact Retro and see if a new DK game was in development. By the time he knew about TF it was too late to add Dixie, but he did have time to add some trophies from TF.
To be fair, Sakurai was under A LOT of pressure, and he had a lot of companies to deal with. If Retro or Nintendo didn't come to him and say "Hey, we're making a new DKC game", I doubt that would be on his list of things to check on, what with other developers practically throwing their characters at him. You can call Sakurai a lot of things, but "lazy" is something hard to pin him on, with all the work he does.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
It is disapointing to see that a fan game (Project M) does a much better job at costumes than the official developers. I think we'll be lucky to get Kaptain as a Kostume sadly and if were really really lucky, Baron.
I dont think we will get any tbh....whats up with Mewtwo's alt? Im pretty sure that aint canon...or hes used it before...they just slapped that on him and called it a alt...
Were is his Giovanni Armour from the anime?

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I dont think we will get any tbh....whats up with Mewtwo's alt? Im pretty sure that aint canon...or hes used it before...they just slapped that on him and called it a alt...
Were is his Giovanni Armour from the anime?
Ye
Mewtwo kicked Gary Oak's ass w/ dat

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
-Dry Bowser
-Armor Mewtwo
-OOT Ganondorf
-Masked Dedede
-Classic Palutena
-Mr. L

If Nintendo wanted to make a sucker out of me for paying for pointless cosmetic changes it should be those, not Mii costumes.
Tbh imo Dry bowser would look weired using owsers new moveset.
Bowsers old Melee moveset would look sick on Dry bowser.
Replace koopa claw with a bone throw.
Flamethrower for a fireball.

Damn....Dry bowser would be a semi clone...damn it would be so sick...instant main i swear...
His entrance animation could be just a pile of bones already on the screen then they just assemble into Dry Bowser.
Ow man...guy can dream...would have been the dopest clone/semi clone....
Sigh...

StormC

Smash Hero
I wonder if Sakurai would feel hesitant to include something that appeared in the anime, but not the games. I know the Pokemon characters are largely based on the anime, but only in certain minor aspects like dialogue and moveset choices, not something wholesale and tangible from the anime like the Giovanni armor.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Exactly as I've been saying for a while.

Of course, though, its also important to note it says "lower priority," not "can't and won't happen." Since DLC is more about fanservice, that point is moot.
That's true; after all we did get Lucas and Roy in spite of them not appearing in a game outside Super Smash Bros. for nine and thirteen years respectively. DLC I feel is going to be an outlet for "characters without a future" to be added in as playable characters if Lucas and Roy are any indication. And while Ryu obviously doesn't fit this, his appearance in Super Smash Bros. is inspired mostly by Street Fighter II. And King K. Rool just happens to fit alongside Lucas and Roy as someone that may have been lower on consideration due to a lack of recent appearance. At any point, we could have gotten a LOT worse that couldn't be fixed by the Smash Ballot or a major DK appearance.

I would be so for this. The Kaptain K. Rool design is a must.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I wonder if Sakurai would feel hesitant to include something that appeared in the anime, but not the games. I know the Pokemon characters are largely based on the anime, but only in certain minor aspects like dialogue and moveset choices, not something wholesale and tangible from the anime like the Giovanni armor.
I know what u mean...i have thought about that too but then again he did say the poke movies have alot to do with the selection.

StormC

Smash Hero
That's true; after all we did get Lucas and Roy in spite of them not appearing in a game outside Super Smash Bros. for nine and thirteen years respectively. DLC I feel is going to be an outlet for "characters without a future" to be added in as playable characters if Lucas and Roy are any indication. And while Ryu obviously doesn't fit this, his appearance in Super Smash Bros. is inspired mostly by Street Fighter II. And King K. Rool just happens to fit alongside Lucas and Roy as someone that may have been lower on consideration due to a lack of recent appearance. At any point, we could have gotten a LOT worse that couldn't be fixed by the Smash Ballot or a major DK appearance.
I would be so for this. The Kaptain K. Rool design is a must.
I honestly feel like the ballot is basically the best thing for K. Rool, outside of a new game, and even that is arguable.

-Popularity rules the ballot, and that's K. Rool's biggest selling point (literally).
-Dixie wasn't in the base game either so people don't think "there's enough Donkey Kong characters."
-Wolf's (and initially, Mewtwo's) removal and Ridley's deconfirmation has left people wanting more villains.
-No super heavyweights added to the game.
-His competition is mostly either veterans (with Lucas and Roy already added) or minor leaguers.
-No active role in the game.

As someone else said, it's gotten to the point where even non-fans will be very confused if K. Rool doesn't get in.

Top Bottom