• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Man, that would be... I don't know if upsetting is even the right word, more like downright baffling with everything Wolf has going for him.

I don't see why he couldn't come back via the ballot, though, as surely even if Wolf voters were complacent when the ballot was first released, there were enough people who voted (both casual and dedicated fans) to put him into the top 5 - enough for a veteran with reuseable assets to be seriously considered.
I'm not telling anybody not to vote for Wolf or anything, but his status brought up an interesting question for me: Would adding Wolf via ballot tell the Smash team that we want clone characters? Dang near everybody got upset when we found out that Lucina and Dark Pit were part of the final roster, but now many a fan are voting for wolf who was, essentially, a heavier version of Fox. Would this tell the Smash team that we like similar characters?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I'm not telling anybody not to vote for Wolf or anything, but his status brought up an interesting question for me: Would adding Wolf via ballot tell the Smash team that we want clone characters? Dang near everybody got upset when we found out that Lucina and Dark Pit were part of the final roster, but now many a fan are voting for wolf who was, essentially, a heavier version of Fox. Would this tell the Smash team that we like similar characters?
I wouldnt really compare Wolf to Dark Pit or Lucina tbh....Wolf is alot more than them in gameplay and as a Nintendo character....
Its pretty insulting to Wolf...

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Lucas and Wolf are exempt from that. They are more different from their base character than what would be considered a clone. And really...

REALLY

I don't get the seething hatred for clone characters. I really don't. That just means they are filler used to pad up the roster near the end of a game's life cycle in development before launch. The massive Dark Pit hatebase, Miiverse having scores of posts insulting Lucina and even say she's responsible for 9/11 (My ****ing god kids can be stupid)...JESUS people, it's not like they were considered and "took the slot" of Banjo-Kazooie and Snake or anything. The bulk of the original roster is decided long before development even begins, and clones are added in much much later if Sakurai thinks he can pad out the roster with a few quick, dirty clones. And we only had 2 introduced (and 1 brought back, cuz that Melee nostalgia). OUT OF A ROSTER OF 50

Trust me, if Dark Pit nor Lucina comes back in Smash 5 there will be people clamoring for their return. Once a Smasher, always a Smasher.

Okay, rant over. Lucas and Wolf don't even fall into this category, and some preferred their playstyles greatly over their base inspirations. I don't like Ness, but I enjoy Lucas, even if they have plenty of similarities. That's why you didn't ever see anyone bash Lucas to Hell and back from being a Ness clone, and this same reason applies to Wolf.

So no, it's not that we are apparently cool with clones. Sakurai knows aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllll too well people hate them...

"But they're children, so it can't be helped"

Just, you know, semi-clones. Yeah.

Also Someguyyoulikelydontknow, don't take the above rant as an offense towards you, that's just clone complaints in general, more of the semi-clone response was towards you.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Personally I think clones could be used better, as I'd rather see them be used to give some underrepresented series some love.

And yeah, it's a dead horse, but Wolf is barely even a semi-clone. He's the most different "clone" in the whole series.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
My dislike for Dark Pit has little to do with the fact that he's clone. And I'll leave it at that.

Point is, Wolf returning is looking less likely with his absence so far. If he needs ballot support, that'll really suck.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
My dislike for Dark Pit has little to do with the fact that he's clone. And I'll leave it at that.

Point is, Wolf returning is looking less likely with his absence so far. If he needs ballot support, that'll really suck.
At least Wolf is in the top of every poll I've seen so far. As for Dark Pit...I don't like him either, but it's not that he's a clone, much like you. I do like Lucina however as a character. Though it's quite possible Robin will remain with us in the next game and Lucina gets replaced by Azura (Fire Emblem Fates character), least she has water powers and a lance.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
To be fair, Dark Pit is in fierce competition with Pichu for Smash's most hated character of all time, and it's not as though people take "Pichu for DLC!" demands particularly seriously.

Back to K. Rool, though, what do people think about him having an Oil Drum summon move, like he had in that MUGEN video? It functioned basically like it did in DKC, spitting weak enemies at an interval. I guess the closest comparison would be Pac-Man's Fire Hydrant that sprays water a few times before vanishing.

StormC

Smash Hero
Back to K. Rool, though, what do people think about him having an Oil Drum summon move, like he had in that MUGEN video? It functioned basically like it did in DKC, spitting weak enemies at an interval. I guess the closest comparison would be Pac-Man's Fire Hydrant that sprays water a few times before vanishing.
K. Rool summoning Kremlings is always something I thought fit the character better than say, Dedede summoning Waddle Dees and Gordos. It'd be great to see, though I don't think we'd see it in 4 unfortunately due to 3DS limitations.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
To be fair, Dark Pit is in fierce competition with Pichu for Smash's most hated character of all time, and it's not as though people take "Pichu for DLC!" demands particularly seriously.

It is a really good idea, but it'd be a candidate for the already highly contested Down B spot.
There's Ground Pound, Gasses, Electricity, KlapTrap, Kannonball drop...

StormC

Smash Hero
Dumb Drum would make an awesome Final Smash, actually. Especially if it ended with it slamming onto the ground.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace

I'd like that idea. It would give K. Rool the look of, "donkey kong's enemy master," similar to how pac-man's moveset is like the "namco master." If it were a move though I'd like to see it be slow and punishable like villagers tree almost, but with high reward.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

The only reason he wouldn't be in is if Sakurai flat out hates him, remember this is what Wolf is currently like in Smash 4,

Don't forget he says everything he said in Brawl, just to add extra salt.
I've also noticed that even his trophy looks really subpar, he just looks so jagged at parts, plus there are a few modeling errors that suggest it was rushed, plus his 3 themes and Fox's "Wolf Flash" don't exactly leave a good taste in the fans mouths, the songs may be good, but its pretty much Roy's hope X3 without Wolf there. While the Japanese version more fittingly calls it Fox Flash, the localization team calling it Wolf flash may not have been intentional, but it wasn't a good move, plus you can't use custom moves in For Glory. He'll also be on the cover for Star Fox Zero,

If Sakurai doesn't give us Wolf, I'll just turn to the hackers to hack him in.
K. Rool summoning Kremlings is always something I thought fit the character better than say, Dedede summoning Waddle Dees and Gordos. It'd be great to see, though I don't think we'd see it in 4 unfortunately due to 3DS limitations.
It would seem a bit awkward though if he just throws Kritters that are bigger than most of the fighters out in front of him. Plus I don't recall him ever doing that in a boss fight.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Something interesting to consider when talking about K. Rool abroad: he doesn't have an English Wikipedia article (even though he used to), but he does have one in Spanish and Portuguese.

It would seem a bit awkward though if he just throws Kritters that are bigger than most of the fighters out in front of him. Plus I don't recall him ever doing that in a boss fight.
Most people suggest he sends out Klaptraps, not Kritters. Slippas would work too.

Kremlings are thematically tied to industry and mass production in DKC1 (factories, endlessly popping out of oil drums) so it would make sense to represent that in K. Rool's moveset. Like I said, if Dedede can do it, why not K. Rool?

Last edited:

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Well, Dedede was throwing Waddle Dees in Brawl, which is a thing that fits his selfish, tyrannic but-more-like-jerk King personality.

But I really would love to see K. Rool using Kritters and/or Klaptraps!

Sidboylol

Smash Cadet
Everyone in the Netherlands I know tht knows K.Rool think's he's overdue
Like he said. But other than me, my brother, aunt, cousin and some of my friends know K. Rool.
They also helped us to vote for him. Now that's what i call supports.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
There is a misty mine level in DKC1 where the level revolves around purple klaptraps that jump when the Kongs jump. Maybe if K. Rool uses Klaptraps, he could drop two kinds: regular blue ones that walk on the floor normally, and purple ones that jump whenever K. Rool jumps. Like a more mobile and strategic Mechakoopa. Just an idea.

Other thoughts include using other enemies that might have their own properties like gnawties, slippa, and army (armadillo). But I wonder if DDD's move was cut because of 3DS limitations, so something like this might be unfeasible.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
But I wonder if DDD's move was cut because of 3DS limitations, so something like this might be unfeasible.
I'm pretty sure it was. I can't recall if Sakurai specifically stated that, but either way, four Dededes spamming Waddle Dees that have their own AIs all over the stage would definitely cause problems on 3DS.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
At least Wolf is in the top of every poll I've seen so far. As for Dark Pit...I don't like him either, but it's not that he's a clone, much like you. I do like Lucina however as a character. Though it's quite possible Robin will remain with us in the next game and Lucina gets replaced by Azura (Fire Emblem Fates character), least she has water powers and a lance.
Yeah. Azura or Kamui would be cool in a future Smash installment.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure it was. I can't recall if Sakurai specifically stated that, but either way, four Dededes spamming Waddle Dees that have their own AIs all over the stage would definitely cause problems on 3DS.
This is proved by smash run as apparently, 4 players would be able to interact directly on the same big stage, but the game could only have one character per system on the screen due to the enemies, which includes waddle dees.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Someone posted this photo of K. Rool on twitter from Mario Super Sluggers earlier today, I thought it'd be funny if he said something like this after he threw his belly into you as a smash A attack lol.
k. rool sluggers.jpg

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Someone posted this photo of K. Rool on twitter from Mario Super Sluggers earlier today, I thought it'd be funny if he said something like this after he threw his belly into you as a smash A attack lol.
View attachment 60859
>'Glorious girth'

This is signature-worthy. :joyful:

:231:

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
It's too bad Rare never did an official rendering of Krusha K. Rool. Though to be honest it's my least favorite kostume.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I made a song (parody of Sugar)
"DLC" feat. Wolf, King K. Rool, Isaac, Bandana Waddle Dee
(K.Rool)
I'm wanted baby
I'm wanted now
So much potential
Anyway or anyhow

(Wolf)
When I was cut
You made them weep
Got the fans beggin'
Beggin' on their knees

(Wolf and K. Rool)
I don't want to be an assist trophy
Or even a normal trophy
Just want to fight the best
ohh baby
I don't even care how we play
I just want to be in today
Just give us one little taste

(all 4)
Sakurai
DLC
Won't you go and put us in please
We're right here
Wont you please
Put us in as DLC

(Wolf and K. Rool)
Yeah we have some good techniques
Make it alright
Need some cool villains in the line

(all 4)
Sakurai
DLC

(Isaac)
I take the pieces
Of from the earth
I have giant hands
Adding me isn't absurd

(Bandana Dee)
Not a side B anymore
I'm all secure
Make the Kirby lineup
Turn from 3 to 4

(Isaac and Bandana Dee)
Got come cool weapons
None like any other
We need a little soutien
ohh baby
I don't even care how we play
I just want to be in today
Just give us one little taste

(all 4)
Sakurai
DLC
We're right here
Wont you please
Put us in as DLC

(Isaac and Bandana Dee)
Yeah we deserve some respect
In our timeline
Have the most awesome moments
In our life

(all 4)
Sakurai
DLC

(Wolf)
I want that fighter Slot

(Bandana Dee)
I want that sweet relief

(Isaac)
Don't let no one touch it unless that somebody's me

(King K. Rool )
I gotta be a king
There ain't no other lord
That want's a spot more than a, giant banana horde.

(Wolf)
I don't wanna play no games [play times over Star Fox]
Cant let you do that, hey!
Don't give me all that clone ****
Dont make up stuff
About us

(all 4) 2X
Sakurai
DLC
We're right here
Cause we need
A little Love and Little Sympathy

Yeah the fans show good lovin'
They make it alright
They put our presence
In your mind

Sakurai
DLC

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Yesterday, I felt so confident about K. Rool's chances, but today I'm feeling doubts. :drsad:

.Is K. Rool REALLY as popular as we are led to believe here in the boards?
.Are there really only two slots left?
.With the prevalence of veterans on the polls, how likely is it that Sakurai will choose an original character like K. Rool when he can spend less time and effort on veterans?
.Does Nintendo think K Rool will sell with the wider audience?

I dunno anymore, guys.... I have both my celebratory gif and "well, we tried" speech prepared.

StormC

Smash Hero
It's not just the boards. He frequently tops Reddit polls and has popularity in Japan. These can only represent dedicated internet fans, but to be honest, I'd wager those make up most of the people submitting votes to the Smash Ballot.

There is reasonable evidence to suggest this but nothing conclusive.

.With the prevalence of veterans on the polls, how likely is it that Sakurai will choose an original character like K. Rool when he can spend less time and effort on veterans?
I highly doubt Sakurai would open a suggestion ballot for characters and only add veterans. Especially when all of them barring Wolf have issues with returning.

Pretty much all Smash DLC is guaranteed to sell unless it's an ultra-obscure character so I doubt Nintendo would sweat it.

I dunno anymore, guys.... I have both my celebratory gif and "well, we tried" speech prepared.
It's easy to lose hope after everything we've been through - but K. Rool has everything going for him on this ballot. He's an incredibly popular character from a very successful franchise that has over 20 years of history, huge potential as a fighter and extremely dedicated, vocal fans. There will probably never be another time where K. Rool is as likely as he is now.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Yesterday, I felt so confident about K. Rool's chances, but today I'm feeling doubts. :drsad:

Being how fast many people bought all the original dkc and dkl trilogy on the nintendo e-shop for the wii u and 3-ds virtuaal consoles, I'd say he'd sell pretty well. Not to mention the K. Rool posts on miiverse you see on there every so often.

Top Bottom