• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Man, that would be... I don't know if upsetting is even the right word, more like downright baffling with everything Wolf has going for him.

I don't see why he couldn't come back via the ballot, though, as surely even if Wolf voters were complacent when the ballot was first released, there were enough people who voted (both casual and dedicated fans) to put him into the top 5 - enough for a veteran with reuseable assets to be seriously considered.
I think baffled is probably the best word to describe what most would feel if Wolf was indeed skipped.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I think baffled is probably the best word to describe what most would feel if Wolf was indeed skipped.
I agree with this. I have never been interested in Wolf as a character, but seeing all that he brings to the table in Smash, I can say, without a doubt, that it would be absurd to not include him.

I also think Pichu will more than likely come back. I mean if you can't give us the Ice Climbers then at least give us the last cut fighter from Melee (not counting Young Link due to us getting Toon Link and they feel like the same character pretty much) since we already have Dr.Mario, Mewtwo, AND Roy now..

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Sakurai intentionally designing Pichu to be bad makes me doubt he has any serious interest in revisiting the character.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Ice Climbers - 0.3%. One of the translations we (hopefully) will finish this week goes into a bit more detail about Sakurai trying to get them to work.
Pichu- the fact that Pichu wasn't directly carried over to Brawl makes me a bit pessimistic about his chances. There's a theory Plulse and Minun were the Pichu replacements in Brawl but it's not confirmed.
Wolf- I would be sad too. I enjoyed using Wolf in Brawl.

In general Japanese users do prefer veterans.

StormC

Smash Hero
Ice Climbers - 0.3%. One of the translations we (hopefully) will finish this week goes into a bit more detail about Sakurai trying to get them to work.
I'll be really fascinated to hear about this.

One thing that makes me wonder: I've thought over your article about the last two Marios possibly being ballot characters; would that mean they picked the ballot characters within the first 15 days of its release? Because I don't think they could estimate the resources, budget, and time needed to develop these two characters without knowing what these two characters are.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master

One thing that makes me wonder: I've thought over your article about the last two Marios possibly being ballot characters; would that mean they picked the ballot characters within the first 15 days of its release? Because I don't think they could estimate the resources, budget, and time needed to develop these two characters without knowing what these two characters are.
That's a very interesting thing to think about. Unless they decided they only wanted 2 ahead of time, despite not knowing which two they would pick. Then again, we have to think here, there is literally nothing stopping them from either leaving one or both of those "marios" empty or adding more beyond that.

I have two theories here. The two "marios" in the code are either pre-ballot and adding more later, or those two spots were reserved and intentionally left empty for Ballot winners, and Sakurai & Co. settled on using only two from the ballot. It just...it just seems so ODD that Lucas and Roy would return and not Wolf. Lucas and Wolf felt like a bundle package to me. I mean there's still Wolf in the Ballot, but having him not be in pre-ballot DLC would be a head scratcher.

If it truly is only 2 characters left, I think Wolf and King K. Rool are the most obvious picks. If the most ludicrous route is taken and Wolf is somehow skipped over, K. Rool and Isaac, or possibly Bandanna Dee instead, will be picked. If they were going to have Inklings they would have put them in by now. The next game might make better use of their ink splatters. Ice Climbers are out and we were told why. The Kojima and Konami situation kills Snake's chances. Even though I actually mained Pichu in Melee, I don't think he will nor necessarily want him to return if we only have TWO characters remaining, and although I was never in support for Roy but was happy for his fans, the only Vet that would legitimately make me angry to see return is Young Link. We don't need Three Links. And not even two other characters with Links moveset, but THREE LINKS. Squirtle and Ivysaur, as much as I love them (I love Charizard infinitely more), they just don't have the support the others have.

That really leaves Wolf alone as the must have Vet. Baffled, again, is what I'd be if he doesn't make it in, and I didn't even vote for the lupine blighter. I'm more of a reptilian kinda guy. Give me Wolf and King K. Rool and I'd be happy, any others would be icing on the DLC cake.

Just give me K. Rool and I'll be both extremely happy and yet incredibly baffled at the same time (with lack of Wolf). Give me no K. Rool and I'll just be a sad reptile lover. I really, really sad one.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

Good question. Like I mentioned in that article, Sakurai is a contracted developer. Hes a free agent bound by contract and external issues. If Nintendo or Bandai Namco would like to reshuffle their resources than they may do so (this is why post Dlc the team has shrunk) at any time.

Furthermore, it's not unreasonable to assume they have some sort of agreement on how much content could be made and a time schedule for that content to be made as it is a business. Smash Dlc makes a lot of money, so I'm sure they would like to keep it around as long as possible.

Nintendo probably has a limit, just like they had one with Mario Kart 8 with how much Dlc content they want to produce. A lot of factors are at play that many people tend to forget.

I'm hoping that we will get more than 2, but I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't. Also, I definitely expect less than 5.

StormC

Smash Hero
I have two theories here. The two "marios" in the code are either pre-ballot and adding more later, or those two spots were reserved and intentionally left empty for Ballot winners, and Sakurai & Co. settled on using only two from the ballot. It just...it just seems so ODD that Lucas and Roy would return and not Wolf. Lucas and Wolf felt like a bundle package to me. I mean there's still Wolf in the Ballot, but having him not be in pre-ballot DLC would be a head scratcher.
I think it has to do with incomplete characters. We know Roy was planned for Brawl and there's a good amount of evidence that Lucas was planned for 4 - Wolf might have been deemed low priority (or... no priority) with two Star Fox characters already in the game with more seniority and the franchise being on hiatus between Brawl and 4.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I'm hoping that we will get more than 2, but I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't. Also, I definitely expect less than 5.
I guess we also need to keep in mind, if we have DLC that, in total, far exceeds the price of the base game, that might send the wrong message. We're already quickly approaching the DLC equaling to the Wii U's price tag when we know 2 more stages are on the way (Bless their hearts for Hyrule Castle, why oh god why Peach's Castle and not Saffron City why). Like you said, there has to be a cutoff point somewhere. It just seems like 2 might be a bit lackluster after the "fanservice from here on out" article.

If Two
-Wolf
-K. Rool

If Four
-Wolf
-K. Rool
-Isaac
-Bandanna Dee

If Six (I think the max and best case scenario)
Pre Ballot
-Wolf
-???
Ballot
-K. Rool
-Isaac
-Bandanna Dee
-???

The question marks above because I don't really know who those two would be. The more time goes on, I'm starting to believe 6, while still possible, is becoming increasingly unlikely. I still think 4 is a solid number. 2 at bare minimum. There's the whole definition of "several" debate, which would by definition point to 4 or 6, but I can't rule out 2. THE ONLY THING WE KNOW FOR SURE...is that there will be more than one. King's chances are good, that's all I care about.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Good question. Like I mentioned in that article, Sakurai is a contracted developer. Hes a free agent bound by contract and external issues. If Nintendo or Bandai Namco would like to reshuffle their resources than they may do so (this is why post Dlc the team has shrunk) at any time.

Furthermore, it's not unreasonable to assume they have some sort of agreement on how much content could be made and a time schedule for that content to be made as it is a business. Smash Dlc makes a lot of money, so I'm sure they would like to keep it around as long as possible.

Nintendo probably has a limit, just like they had one with Mario Kart 8 with how much Dlc content they want to produce. A lot of factors are at play that many people tend to forget.

5 is the absolute max I see. Right now I'm thinking 4. I certainly don't expect too many, I just think 2 is a bit small based on what we know.

I guess we also need to keep in mind, if we have DLC that, in total, far exceeds the price of the base game, that might send the wrong message. We're already quickly approaching the DLC equaling to the Wii U's price tag when we know 2 more stages are on the way (Bless their hearts for Hyrule Castle, why oh god why Peach's Castle and not Saffron City why). Like you said, there has to be a cutoff point somewhere. It just seems like 2 might be a bit lackluster after the "fanservice from here on out" article.

If Two
-Wolf
-K. Rool

If Four
-Wolf
-K. Rool
-Isaac
-Bandanna Dee

If Six (I think the max and best case scenario)
Pre Ballot
-Wolf
-???
Ballot
-K. Rool
-Isaac
-Bandanna Dee
-???

The question marks above because I don't really know who those two would be. The more time goes on, I'm starting to believe 6, while still possible, is becoming increasingly unlikely. I still think 4 is a solid number. 2 at bare minimum. There's the whole definition of "several" debate, which would by definition point to 4 or 6, but I can't rule out 2. THE ONLY THING WE KNOW FOR SURE...is that there will be more than one. King's chances are good, that's all I care about.
Actually, I'm going to change my theory and say if two:
K. Rool
Isaac

I don't think Sakurai will make Wolf if there's only 2 left. I think he'd prefer the last characters to be newcomers.

StormC

Smash Hero
The more I think about it, the more I envision a scenario where all we get is K. Rool, Wolf, some more Mii Fighter costumes, the N64 stages, maybe another stage or two, and nothing else, and everyone gets disappointed again like they did with Brawl and 4's leaks.

...not me, though. :awesome:

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
The more I think about it, the more I envision a scenario where all we get is K. Rool, Wolf, some more Mii Fighter costumes, the N64 stages, maybe another stage or two, and nothing else, and everyone gets disappointed again like they did with Brawl and 4's leaks.

...not me, though. :awesome:
Oh I'm sure everyone in this thread (and the Wolf one) is going to be dancing in the streets.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Regarding poll conducted by person who somehow collected 10000 responses, I don't believe it. K. Rool's absence is suspicious but the purported sample size is even more surprising. Far too large to be believable, especially if this was a survey conducted in person. As anyone that has collected data can tell you, the process can be extremely difficult and time consuming. Even careful wnd experienced researchers struggle to get responses in the hundreds, let alone thousands. Survey firms that charge thousands of dollars would find it hard to compete with our polling prodigy. Unless there are other polls in the region that suggest similar results and the individual provides full information on the data collection process, I would ignore their results.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Generalizations are a bad thing, be them this one guy thinks all of Europe doesn't like K. Rool or thinking Europeans don't like K. Rool because one guy said they don't with statistics he received from his anal cavity.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
I felt like I might share my own experience. I've not really interacted a lot with the Smash fanbase here in Italy, but from what I've seen, casuals want more Pokemon, while more serious fans are more oriented on third-parties, indies and occasionally more Zelda characters. Donkey Kong and Nintendo games in general aside from Pokemon hasn't been really big here, and the DK cartoon was never aired with an Italian dub(this is why I only learned here that there is a cartoon in the first place). Not something you should worry about though, Italian players are a minuscule part of the global gaming population. That said, I know some people here that like King K. Rool, but from my experience we're the minority.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I'm going to require proof that he surveyed that many people before I accept it. That's a lot of people to ask in a day, or even a span of 3 days.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The source is some random 17 year-old French guy who can barely string a sentence together, somehow managed to poll over 10,000 people at a convention that isn't just about gaming, and conveniently doesn't like the characters that aren't doing well.

If anything, these results are the opposite of what I'd expect considering how popular the Donkey Kong Country cartoon was in France. Even Banjo wasn't mentioned, despite the fact that Rare is European based and their characters have a huge following back home. He literally mentioned "Sonic character" as one of the alleged poll front runners, which immediately raised a red flag; nobody votes for "reps". And just because somebody was "polled" at a gaming convention doesn't necessarily mean they voted in the ballot. Do you genuinely believe that Isaac and Simon Belmont are super popular among the masses? I'd expect more Waluigi and Goku votes if this were a publicly conducted exit poll. Or maybe the poster in question just picked a bunch of characters he likes and claimed that they are winning in order to insight hysteria within the K. Rool fanbase. I trust data over anecdotal evidence from random forum dwellers who potentially have agendas. If one person's word means so much, God help us when the actual results come in.

What an inflammatory, baseless generalization that contradicts what he's said in the past:

Thanks Man . I'm not the best at English and i know it , but if you know This "thread" Like you Call it you may know that i'm here to discuss rumor and Leak since i sign up . I see a lot Of international / USA poll + the @ PushDustIn PushDustIn Japanease Poll , but no european poll . So i Go into the biggest european convention here in France . AND if you don't know it Nintendo was present , Miyamoto Himself was present there was a Big stage for a super smash bros Tournament . I take the 4 day to ask people insteed to Make fun JUST to help the community i love . And just because at the First look your character isn't far in the poll you have to be salty ? It´s hurt , really , i just wanted to help a community ...

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Thanks Man . I'm not the best at English and i know it , but if you know This "thread" Like you Call it you may know that i'm here to discuss rumor and Leak since i sign up . I see a lot Of international / USA poll + the @ PushDustIn PushDustIn Japanease Poll , but no european poll . So i Go into the biggest european convention here in France . AND if you don't know it Nintendo was present , Miyamoto Himself was present there was a Big stage for a super smash bros Tournament . I take the 4 day to ask people insteed to Make fun JUST to help the community i love . And just because at the First look your character isn't far in the poll you have to be salty ? It´s hurt , really , i just wanted to help a community ...
Are you trying to tell us that you interviewed 10 000 people over 4 days by yourself? Do these types of conventions even get 10 000 people?

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Are you trying to tell us that you interviewed 10 000 people over 4 days by yourself? Do these types of conventions even get 10 000 people?
240 000 in 2014 . Japan Expo , Wikipedia . We was 3 , my gf and a friends , they was in the convention .

I was just standing in the enter and exit Of the convention , and each Person who pass the gate i interwiew them , maybe some peole have voted 2 time because i don't reconize them or because they was interwiewed in be the other .

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Me too. I'm from Holland and still like him. I even watch a cartoon of DK. In Dutch dub, yet still like it.
Nee man de Nederlandse versie? Ik keek het vroeger op Fox Kids echt iets van 15 jaar geleden ofzo, minstens. Het enige wat ECHT nep was aan die show is dat ze K.Rool iets van Koning W.Reed noemde ofzo... Kaolo poep met kaas.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
First off, I'm not salty, I actually didn't even bother to look at your results. Also, I have no "horses" in this race. Personally, I don't really mind what character will get in. I enjoy researching the design, history and community aspect of Smash more than the actual game.

Secondly, that's a lot of people to ask. Its nothing personal against you. If anyone made a claim similar to yours I would question it. To be blunt, I'm not sorry that you feel hurt because if you really got that upset that someone on the Internet is questioning your data then that means the likelihood of you lying is increased. If you have nothing to hide, then you would stand behind your data. All I'm asking for is some transparency and proof before the community can accept your gift. There are far too many people just making stuff up (see the number of fake leaks) for me to take anything at face value.

EDIT: @ Nekoo Nekoo you posted a bit between July 2nd-6th, especially on the 3rd (4th for me). Did you even attend the Japan Expo?

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If I'm to chime in, 10 000 people is a very respectable sample size and it's something that hasn't been achieved even by polls heavily advertised on both Smashboards and Reddit. If he's telling the truth, it's quite an achievement.

I'll be more willing to accept it if there was more to this than just text.

:231:

Luigi player

Smash Master
Well... I dunno how every country / person in europe sees K. Rool, but in the german forum we had a poll where K. Rool was tied for 6th place.

http://www.smashlabs.de/thread/2713...n-will-smashlabs-als-newcomer-haben/?pageNo=1

"anderer charakter" = other character (someone else who isn't in the poll)

293 votes
  1. Isaac (36)12%
  2. Anderer Charakter (25)9% = other character
  3. Bayonetta (17)6%
  4. Banjo-Kazooie (15)5%
  5. Snake (14)5%
  6. King K. Rool (12)4%
  7. Horror Kid (12)4%
  8. Gewaldro (11)4% = Sceptile
  9. Krystal (11)4%
  10. Wolf (9)3%

Last edited:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
I honestly think his Final Smash should be something from the original DKC trilogy.
we could all say the canon balls from the first game, but that be a little to similar to ness'es final smash if you think about it. Just coming from the sky and falling onto players. I wouldn't mind seeing something we have never seen before of King K Rool. Giga bowser never showed up in any Mario games but still the idea is cool. I would want something new from K Rool that we have never seen before. It makes it more fun and plus, would make him more unique. Let Sakurai blow our minds! but of course should have that crown toss because if he doesn't.... then there is a problem lol

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
EDIT: @ Nekoo Nekoo you posted a bit between July 2nd-6th, especially on the 3rd (4th for me). Did you even attend the Japan Expo?
Hum ... yes ? I attend at the Japan Expo since i have 13 , i just use my mobile phone to use internet , like always ?

I'll give you proof and data when i comeback to my holiday . You want more than a "text'' proof, you will , i just made a lot of paper where people write their character . i will gave you photo proof of the carton box where i have all of the paper poll , photo of different paper where they write their character and i will remake each vote in a strawpoll juste to see the % of each character I dunno what i gain to lie on something that big ...

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
It's sad to see King K Rool fall victim to the "Your character is more popular than mine, therefore I will use my time and effort to bash them instead of promoting my character" rule.

Like, seriously. I don't like many of the "most likely" characters, but I'd rather continue to increase the chances for the character I want than make other people upset by belittling their choices.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It's sad to see King K Rool fall victim to the "Your character is more popular than mine, therefore I will use my time and effort to bash them instead of promoting my character" rule.
I don't know what i gain to do that since Roy was my only requested character

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
This sudden use of Greek lettering makes me happy.

He wasn't addressing that to you specifically, don't worry.

Well... I dunno how every country / person in europe sees K. Rool, but in the german forum we had a poll where K. Rool was tied for 6th place.

http://www.smashlabs.de/thread/2713...n-will-smashlabs-als-newcomer-haben/?pageNo=1

"anderer charakter" = other character (someone else who isn't in the poll)

293 votes
  1. Isaac (36)12%
  2. Anderer Charakter (25)9% = other character
  3. Bayonetta (17)6%
  4. Banjo-Kazooie (15)5%
  5. Snake (14)5%
  6. King K. Rool (12)4%
  7. Horror Kid (12)4%
  8. Gewaldro (11)4% = Sceptile
  9. Krystal (11)4%
  10. Wolf (9)3%
293 votes is way too small to draw conclusions from. Even then, K Rool is the 2nd highest 1st party.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I wasn't addressing you with that post, I was more talking about the people in general that go on forums and bash K. Rool for little to no reason. I honestly didn't even read the conversation you were a part of before posting.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
If this survey was actually conducted, Nekoo and his team deserve praise. Logistically, collecting such a large amount of in-person data is tedious, time consuming, and requires a lot of coordination. Thing is, the feat is so incredible that it is hard to believe without more substantiation. As Falkoopa mentions, almost every single Smash poll I've seen on the internet has had less than 10,000 responses (and that's over more than a few days). This is significant because the internet minimizes costs of conducting surveys (time spent reaching respondents, time spent "interviewing" respondents, recording responses, summarizing it, etc.) and potentially reaches a wider audience than a poll conducted at a single convention. The expectation would be that a sample collected in-person would be much smaller. But here, it appears to be several times larger.

If your survey was actually conducted to the extent you claim it was, well done. Maybe you could share more about your methods with the community to put suspicions to rest. That is, around what time did you start collecting data, what questions did you ask participants, how did you record votes, etc. Further explanation of your methods could also provide a template for fans to poll conventions in their area, too.

Also: Given the large sample size and the setting, I would imagine reaching participants to verify their participation would not be an unreasonable request. Surely at least some fans attending a japanese culture convention would probably end up on forums like this one. That is not a very mainstream interest. With thousands of people in the sample, I would hope to see some of these participants come forward to substantiate the claims, too. Hopefully more than a few: we've had a history of randoms unrelated to the source making things up to accord with fake leaks in the past, like the Chunky Kong assist trophy claim.

TheBazry64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBazry64
quick addition to the europe thing.
The biggest european Nintendo lets player is an active K Rool supporter...
So i really don't think K Rool is not even top 10 here

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
You know, in regards to ballot picks, I seriously think we are getting 4, and that they won't be Veterans. My reasoning is that if they are going to all this trouble of collecting a ton of data from different regions, they will want them all to be new fresh and exciting, so that rules out Vets due to being in previous games. The other tact thing is they don't want any region to feel left out, of the main 3 NA, EU, and JP/Asia, which is why each has a different submission setup, to guarantee votes from that region. So, we get one from each region, and a global pick. Note, this still isn't a popularity contest, the amount of support is a factor, but so is the character's potential, being from an unrepped/repped franchise, and legal matters, the latter of which makes Nintendo owned characters most likely. The final aspect of this, is that I expect at least 1 to be from an unrepresented franchise.

Now, before you get into a huff about me saying no vets, I'm saying no vets as part of the ballot. I'm still thinking Wolf is extremely likely for August, and while I believe at least one if not several ballot picks are already in development(Even if they didn't start finalizing until halfway through a handful of obvious front runners have at least their concept work done), and I wouldn't be surprised to see one released for the end. Heck, I think the *Mario* slots could be the last two vets, and/or the last 2 pre-ballot picks since they are most likely at least 75% done, and were being codeveloped and balanced alongside Ryu, Roy, and Lucas to speed up the process.

But hey, that's my theory

Top Bottom