• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
^And yet doesn't fall into hubris because of it and still remains weary. As it was once so eloquently said.. "Even Speedwagon is afraid"

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
We really need K.ROOL and DIXIE in smash...
Yes we do... they really both deserve and need to be in Smash4, honestly. Looking at it now, Smash4 is letting almost everyone join the fight and we have so many fighters already. The DK franchise is really underrepresented and deserved 3 reps in Brawl already (oh Dixie, why forbidden seven). Now we even hope for just one of them, even though both should be getting in. I hope at least one makes it, both would be amazing. Smash really needs these two to feel more complete to me. Smash4 is trying so much to be a giant game. With all these characters it shows how much work is put into it. We have so many DLC things and patches and everything... they're really trying to bring a great Smash experience. Neither Dixie nor K. Rool should be missing for it.

I hope both will have really high scores and they somehow decide to put them both in. It really needs to be done. Maybe if they'd announce a new DK game again it would give Sakurai even more of an incentive to put them in... if neither makes it it would be unbelieveably disappointing.

And while I'm talking about the DLCs: I'm guessing we'll see 3 characters more at least. Sakurai worded it like "only a few more". This doesn't sound like 2 to me, that would be a little disappointing, though it's not an impossibility. 3 Might look bad on the CSS, so maybe they'll decide on 4, who knows. At most I'd expect 6 (even though I don't believe it'll be that many), since by then the CSS would be totally filled with characters. Of course they could shrink it even more, but even if they do that I doubt we'll get that many more characters.
Also I hope they order them correctly when everything's done. I hate how the characters from the same franchise are sometimes in seperate rows.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Dixie is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. It'd be great if she shows up, but I feel like she has a lot less to work with as a fighter compared to K. Rool, which is why I'd be fine with her as a semi-clone of Diddy, as that's a good way to represent an important character without a lot of their own moveset potential to speak of (Falco, for example), since it saves time and doesn't force the developers to try to make a unique character for the sake of it.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Look at this ****

Is that MUGEN. Man, I tried to make a roster of all superheroes. You know, a Marvel vs DC with actual characters I cared about (also the fact that i
...I need to download whatever this game is, clearly.
I believe its MUGEN, a customizable fighting game where you can add characters.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't recognize it as MUGEN, but I'm not familiar with all of its versions.

@ BKupa666 BKupa666 , you DEFINITELY need to spread that video on the Kremling Kampaign. It's a PERFECT demonstration of how K. Rool would fight in Smash: a large, heavy fighter with an emphasis on projectiles.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I don't recognize it as MUGEN, but I'm not familiar with all of its versions.

@ BKupa666 BKupa666 , you DEFINITELY need to spread that video on the Kremling Kampaign. It's a PERFECT demonstration of how K. Rool would fight in Smash: a large, heavy fighter with an emphasis on projectiles.
Well, its the most likely game, since the character roster customization but it could be something else.

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, it's MUGEN. Here's another video:

This is just propoganda waiting to happen.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Yeah, it's MUGEN. Here's another video:

This is just propoganda waiting to happen.
Ah, MUGEN. How I wish to have the patience to put in every single Marvel character that I somewhat cared about we would've had the best of times. Now I kind of want a Nintendo MUGEN game, or like video game mascots in general.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ah, MUGEN. How I wish to have the patience to put in every single Marvel character that I somewhat cared about we would've had the best of times. Now I kind of want a Nintendo MUGEN game, or like video game mascots in general.
A video game mascots thing would be heavily skewed towards Nintendo. Nintendo just has so many iconic IP's.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Apparently in the NintenZone Social Thread, there is a soon-to-be-shown Japan Expo 2015 poll with 10,000 respondents, which concerns the most wanted DLC characters. This is all conducted by a French user who speaks multiple languages, who spoke with competitive and casual fans alike. More importantly, he claims not only is K. Rool not even in the top ten, he isn't even desired in the European region (neither is Shantae and Shovel Knight). Also on the topic of European popularity, he also claims cut veterans in general, specifically Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Snake, are the most popular. As for newcomers, Isaac, Krystal, Rayman and/or a Sonic character, Daisy, and surprisingly Simon Belmont also make up the most wanted in the European region. Keep in mind I am separating the Japan Expo poll and European fan requests as two different sources of information, as I don't know whether they are mutually exclusive or not.

I ask only these two questions, one of Europe's most wanted characters, and another of the upcoming poll, if this proves sound (remember, if this poll proves sound) - 1) in regards to Europe, how does their amount of popular requests compare to the other regions in terms of volume and 2) in regards to the Japan Expo, what should we make of K. Rool's absence? I'm bringing this up before the poll is ready for presentation, since I would rather lessen the severity of what I expect to be a largely negative reception within this thread.

What would you all think of this, if true? I don't think this is all too detrimental to K. Rool's chances, since he is still far-and-away highly requested in two other regions, but I'm wondering what you all think.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
1) in regards to Europe, how does their amount of popular requests compare to the other regions in terms of volume
Just a quick note that may affect this question: My understanding of it is that, over here, we've got less Smash players overall as Nintendo traditionally had less of a foothold and less recognition in the region.

I recall this being mentioned with regard to the sales figures for the most recent Smash titles, though I can't remember where right now. It may have been stated around the launch of the New 3DS and New 3DS XL here back in February, since that was expected to have an impact.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
man europe, what the hell.. i thought you guys were usually pretty cool.
That said.. the last several times i've heard of these kind of polls and their results they have been fakes.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I remember back in the day that the Donkey Kong Country series was very well-regarded by us British Nintendo fans, since it was made here and all. I truly can't imagine K. Rool not having at least some support here...

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't think Europe has that big of a gaming population anyway compared to Japan and North America.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I don't think Europe has that big of a gaming population anyway compared to Japan and North America.
As long as we have Japan with us then we're good. Afterall, Nintendo is home to that place and if there's any country Sakurai likes more it's his home one. And no I do not mean that in any racist way possible.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'd like to see some concrete results before passing any judgment. Anyone can claim to have conducted a poll with 10,000 respondents in which "Sonic Rep" places in the top ten. Anyone can claim K. Rool isn't liked at all in a region featuring the country of his original developer/creator (Britain) and another where the DKC cartoon originated and was beloved (France). But until the data comes out, in the words of a certain tireless wanderer, "talk is cheap."

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Apparently in the NintenZone Social Thread, there is a soon-to-be-shown Japan Expo 2015 poll with 10,000 respondents, which concerns the most wanted DLC characters. This is all conducted by a French user who speaks multiple languages, who spoke with competitive and casual fans alike. More importantly, he claims not only is K. Rool not even in the top ten, he isn't even desired in the European region (neither is Shantae and Shovel Knight). Also on the topic of European popularity, he also claims cut veterans in general, specifically Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Snake, are the most popular. As for newcomers, Isaac, Krystal, Rayman and/or a Sonic character, Daisy, and surprisingly Simon Belmont also make up the most wanted in the European region. Keep in mind I am separating the Japan Expo poll and European fan requests as two different sources of information, as I don't know whether they are mutually exclusive or not.

I ask only these two questions, one of Europe's most wanted characters, and another of the upcoming poll, if this proves sound (remember, if this poll proves sound) - 1) in regards to Europe, how does their amount of popular requests compare to the other regions in terms of volume and 2) in regards to the Japan Expo, what should we make of K. Rool's absence? I'm bringing this up before the poll is ready for presentation, since I would rather lessen the severity of what I expect to be a largely negative reception within this thread.

What would you all think of this, if true? I don't think this is all too detrimental to K. Rool's chances, since he is still far-and-away highly requested in two other regions, but I'm wondering what you all think.
The source is some random 17 year-old French guy who can barely string a sentence together, somehow managed to poll over 10,000 people at a convention that isn't just about gaming, and conveniently doesn't like the characters that aren't doing well.

If anything, these results are the opposite of what I'd expect considering how popular the Donkey Kong Country cartoon was in France. Even Banjo wasn't mentioned, despite the fact that Rare is European based and their characters have a huge following back home. He literally mentioned "Sonic character" as one of the alleged poll front runners, which immediately raised a red flag; nobody votes for "reps". And just because somebody was "polled" at a gaming convention doesn't necessarily mean they voted in the ballot. Do you genuinely believe that Isaac and Simon Belmont are super popular among the masses? I'd expect more Waluigi and Goku votes if this were a publicly conducted exit poll. Or maybe the poster in question just picked a bunch of characters he likes and claimed that they are winning in order to insight hysteria within the K. Rool fanbase. I trust data over anecdotal evidence from random forum dwellers who potentially have agendas. If one person's word means so much, God help us when the actual results come in.

Here in Europe we don't give a **** about K.rool
What an inflammatory, baseless generalization that contradicts what he's said in the past:

WAT ?

No seriously What ?

I don't think you Really understand how the Fire Emblem séries is big ...

I don't know why guys are so salty ? I mean your character is not NOW in DLC ? You can be sad but not salty ..

The ballot si for that ...

You don't understand That those character Will Made A LOOOT Of people happy ? Even if it a clone , a skin ... People want him , and Ryu ? MR.Fighting Game homself !! That´s Like a dream for every gamer in the world !

Don't lose Hope ! Keep Fighting , Remember Roy fan was Fighting Like Mewtwo fan ... ( And remember Dr.Mario/Mewtwo/Roy was from the forbiden 7 Of Brawl )

I already vote for K rool 13 times , may you add me in the support list ?

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I would like to state that people don't go overboard.At the moment it is just one user who doesn't have his results.I'm not even the biggest K rool supporter but i can say i feel his changes are high if both people in the east and west continue to vote for him.Just stay postive and vote.

Last edited by a moderator:

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I would like to state that people don't go overboard.At the moment it is just one user who doesn't have his results.I'm not even the biggest K rool supporter but i can say i feel his changes are high if both people in the ast and west continue to vote for him.Just stay postive and vote.
I need to emphasize this strongly. I only bring it up now in order to minimize any (if any) potentially negative impact it may have, even if it's short-lived. We should not take this personally.

StormC

Smash Hero
That thread just makes me really appreciate @ PushDustIn PushDustIn . Dude puts in so much work to give us the scoop on what's going on in Japan (and sometimes people are pretty ungrateful about it, unfortunately).

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
I remember back in the day that the Donkey Kong Country series was very well-regarded by us British Nintendo fans, since it was made here and all. I truly can't imagine K. Rool not having at least some support here...
They may have simply not surveyed the UK, given that British Smash fans would have little problem finding or voting on the various English language polls online (usually cited as "What America wants"), where K. Rool is doing very well.

In that case we have:
USA/UK/Can/Oz/NZ/Ire - K. Rool is dominant, possible exception of Wolf.
Japan - K. Rool very popular, from what we know.
Continental Europe - K. Rool is, allegedly, not that popular.

Taking into account that the Anglosphere and Japan would make up around 70-80% of Smash sales (and presumably votes), this probably isn't going to change anything, as the only charcaters with big enough anglosphere votes to overtake K. Rool are Wolf, Snake, and Isaac. Isaac is let down by mediocre Japanese votes. Wolf is probably going to be in anyway.

So even if this is legitamate, its still pretty irrelevant to K. Rool's chances.

Edit: also - Singapore, Hong Kong and South Africa would also contribute to the English vote, thus further pushing K. Rool. I'm not sure how much South Africa would count for, but I imagine HK and Singapore would have reasonable import markets even without much 'official' Nintendo support.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
That thread just makes me really appreciate @ PushDustIn PushDustIn . Dude puts in so much work to give us the scoop on what's going on in Japan (and sometimes people are pretty ungrateful about it, unfortunately).
Thanks for the kind words! Like I said in that thread, I think Ill be able to start looking into Japanese requests in 1-2 weeks. Got a lot of translation projects I need to finish with my team at Source Gaming first as I don't want to hold back other peoples projects.

D

Deleted member

This. He's the only reason why I bother to go through the dreck that is the NintenZone Social Thread. There are some pretty cool people there that I enjoy talking to but most stuff that goes on there can be ignored pretty easily.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
USA/UK/Can/Oz/NZ/Ire - K. Rool is dominant, possible exception of Wolf.
Japan - K. Rool very popular, from what we know.
Continental Europe - K. Rool is, allegedly, not that popular.
I've always thought of it like this for K. Rool:

Japan: Most requested newcomer, top ten overall.
West: Most requested newcomer, top five overall.

K. Rool may not be quite the showstopper in Japan he is here (where even Pichu ranked higher than him on a sampling), but he's definitely a notable request nonetheless. As this is the first time Sakurai has opened polls to the west, I am sure he will take our requests into serious consideration instead of focusing primarily on Japan.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I don't know if i should be happy or worried about K. Rool's reputation because i don't know what to trust anymore.

kinda like being stuck between a thousand rocks and hard places.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
To be fair, if I'm remembering correctly, he tied with Pichu on that Japanese poll. Damning with faint praise, maybe, but it's better than outright being beaten.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I don't know if i should be happy or worried about K. Rool's reputation because i don't know what to trust anymore.

kinda like being stuck between a thousand rocks and hard places.
If it makes you feel better, based on what I've read he does seem like a popular newcomer (the most?). I'm pretty optimistic about K. Rool's chances overall. I think we might be finished with veteran DLC, and the rest of the characters will be newcomers. This is based on the fact that Sakurai made it painfully obvious that Lucas and Roy were veteran DLC reps before the ballot. Wolf could still come back, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he got skipped.

StormC

Smash Hero
Wolf could still come back, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he got skipped.
Man, that would be... I don't know if upsetting is even the right word, more like downright baffling with everything Wolf has going for him.

I don't see why he couldn't come back via the ballot, though, as surely even if Wolf voters were complacent when the ballot was first released, there were enough people who voted (both casual and dedicated fans) to put him into the top 5 - enough for a veteran with reuseable assets to be seriously considered.

Top Bottom