• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I should have known that I actually stopped existing offline back in 1997, when i first started using the Internet. That weird sensation of emptiness when that **** 56k modem made these bleeping noises... the cold stare of the screen upon my (then) youthful, innocent eyes...

All of my offline life these past 18 years has been an illusion! *sob*
Pftt...what a Offline N008...

(Jke..)
:)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm just waiting for them to see who wins the ballot and is getting in.

In my mind, it could go one of two ways.

The first way is that the ballot was an idea of the Smash team, and Sakurai is supportive of it. This means that no matter who wins, they would have to have the Sakurai Seal of Approval to get in, even if they are in 1st place.

The other way is that Sakurai was told to do the ballot by Nintendo higher-ups. This would mean that Sakurai doesn't really want to do the ballot, but has to, because if he refuses Nintendo will tell him to gtfo and will just make another developer do it, and Sakurai doesn't want to see someone else handle Smash. Sakurai would have basically no control, and whoever wins the polls gets in. In this scenario, hypothetically, Ridley would be added toy he game as playable if he was high enough on the ballot, and Sakurai would be forced by his employers to make him.

I personally believe the reality is somewhere in between. Either way, I think K. Rool is pretty darn likely, though I have a small feeling that Sakurai may not be a huge fan, seeing as he was one of the biggest requests for Smash 4, and didn't make it in the base game.
My thought is that, just like with Brawl and Smash 4, Iwata came to Sakurai intending on getting DLC made one way or another, and Sakurai, unable to say 'no' to working on Smash (or not wanting someone else to take over), agreed. Perhaps Sakurai was influenced by getting so many character requests over Twitter and was the one to bring up the specific idea of a ballot, whereas Iwata just wanted general DLC.

But I don't think that has any bearing on what characters will get chosen. It was calculated on Nintendo's part to say "we'll consider adding the character you submit" or "we can't include every request." Those statements give them leeway to pass on joke characters, fad characters or otherwise impossible or random third parties, in the not-impossible scenario that jokers vote them to the top of the heap. Of course, anyone who extrapolates from that to say "all characters who get votes have equal chances" are kidding themselves. More votes translates to more money, for all intents and purposes.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'm just waiting for them to see who wins the ballot and is getting in.

In my mind, it could go one of two ways.

The first way is that the ballot was an idea of the Smash team, and Sakurai is supportive of it. This means that no matter who wins, they would have to have the Sakurai Seal of Approval to get in, even if they are in 1st place.

The other way is that Sakurai was told to do the ballot by Nintendo higher-ups. This would mean that Sakurai doesn't really want to do the ballot, but has to, because if he refuses Nintendo will tell him to gtfo and will just make another developer do it, and Sakurai doesn't want to see someone else handle Smash. Sakurai would have basically no control, and whoever wins the polls gets in. In this scenario, hypothetically, Ridley would be added toy he game as playable if he was high enough on the ballot, and Sakurai would be forced by his employers to make him.

I personally believe the reality is somewhere in between. Either way, I think K. Rool is pretty darn likely, though I have a small feeling that Sakurai may not be a huge fan, seeing as he was one of the biggest requests for Smash 4, and didn't make it in the base game.
My thought is that, just like with Brawl and Smash 4, Iwata came to Sakurai intending on getting DLC made one way or another, and Sakurai, unable to say 'no' to working on Smash (or not wanting someone else to take over), agreed. Perhaps Sakurai was influenced by getting so many character requests over Twitter and was the one to bring up the specific idea of a ballot, whereas Iwata just wanted general DLC.

But I don't think that has any bearing on what characters will get chosen. It was calculated on Nintendo's part to say "we'll consider adding the character you submit" or "we can't include every request." Those statements give them leeway to pass on joke characters, fad characters or otherwise impossible or random third parties, in the not-impossible scenario that jokers vote them to the top of the heap. Of course, anyone who extrapolates from that to say "all characters who get votes have equal chances" are kidding themselves. More votes translates to more money, for all intents and purposes.
But isn't the ballot that we see today simply the modern equivalent of the ones that have been conducted in Japan in some form or other ever since the run-up to Melee, though? (Or am I misunderstanding the purpose of those historical polls and things?)

I'm really hoping for some smash news this japanese direct. If K. Rool actually got announced in two days how would you all react? I'd personally brag super hard on every social media possible and fantasize about what he'll be like in game for a few hours while listening to music.
How would I react to the return of my favourite Nintendo villain, eh? I don't think I'd actually know until it became reality, honestly. I would certainly be looking for pre-orders for the Amiibo very quickly, however. :laugh:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I honestly believe there won't be a new character reveal on Sunday. That hype is best saved for E3 and the Digital Event.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
But isn't the ballot that we see today simply the modern equivalent of the ones that have been conducted in Japan in some form or other ever since the run-up to Melee, though? (Or am I misunderstanding the purpose of those historical polls and things?)

How would I react to the return of my favourite Nintendo villain, eh? I don't think I'd actually know until it became reality, honestly. I would certainly be looking for pre-orders for the Amiibo very quickly, however. :laugh:
It is, which bodes very well for the Nintendo characters who end up ranking highly. The big difference is, those old Japanese polls were conducted way back before the Internet rose up and started dragging random indie characters into the conversation, which will probably change how results are revealed (if at all) this time.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Even though I've never really played a DKC game this video made me appreciate the series and the characters a lot more. No mention of K. Rool but it kinda shows his wickedness I guess for stealing Diddy.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Actually, there was a Japan only popularity poll in I think February, Ridley got third place of the newcomers
Oh, well that's news to me I never had seen that, last I saw was pre launch lists that someone was looking at Japanese requests and he said Ridley was acknowledged by the Japanese community as popular in the west but aside from that he wasn't talked about.

Then again if it was in February maybe minds have changed and they want him now. Not surprising since out of the easts and wests most requested the only two to not have been made playable are K. Rool and Ridley....

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I honestly believe there won't be a new character reveal on Sunday. That hype is best saved for E3 and the Digital Event.
I'm 505/50 on it, but honestly, I can see them using an old veteran who is far more wanted in Japan and announcing him here. Namely, Roy. Especially since this Direct is basically GUARANTEED to feature a lot of Fire Emblem, since both FE If and SMT X FE are releasing in Japan far sooner than in the west.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
The big difference is, those old Japanese polls were conducted way back before the Internet rose up and started dragging random indie characters into the conversation, which will probably change how results are revealed (if at all) this time.
I guess, accordingly, the old polls also didn't have quite so much of the potential issue of attempts to rig the vote or spam it with nonsense, as well. I assume they were mainly conducted by post, and thus submitting entries would have cost at least as much as stamps, fuel, and time? (And maybe a magazine, too, if forms were published there?)

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I guess, accordingly, the old polls also didn't have quite so much of the potential issue of attempts to rig the vote or spam it with nonsense, as well. I assume they were mainly conducted by post, and thus submitting entries would have cost at least as much as stamps, fuel, and time? (And maybe a magazine, too, if forms were published there?)
If I'm remembering correctly, it was an online submission site where users could send in not only the characters they wanted to see, but stages, items and music tracks as well. There could have been attempts to rig the vote (Sakurai referenced Geno votes multiple times in his journal), but no one can tell for sure.

Maybe, just maybe, we'll see Roy in tomorrow's Direct. It would make sense to show a predominantly Japanese-favored character in a Japanese Direct, like what happened with Shulk, and a Direct is a way better place to showcase him than a dinky concert.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
There could have been attempts to rig the vote (Sakurai referenced Geno votes multiple times in his journal), but no one can tell for sure.
You know, this just makes me realise how sorry I feel for the poor souls who have to weed out all the Shreks, Dragon Ball Z Gokus (after all, Nintendo has a Goku of their own, and he'd be a perfectly valid, if obscure, choice), and so on, in order to get useful data from this current ballot. :laugh:

Maybe, just maybe, we'll see Roy in tomorrow's Direct. It would make sense to show a predominantly Japanese-favored character in a Japanese Direct, like what happened with Shulk, and a Direct is a way better place to showcase him than a dinky concert.
It wouldn't surprise me if that's how it'll turn out! In fact, if the guesses I've seen about new content arriving bi-monthly are on the money, I'd imagine we might see Smash stuff popping up in Nintendo Direct broadcasts for a while.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
In regards to there being an announcement tomorrow, it's worth noting that Sakurai re-tweeted the announcement for every direct that had a Smash reveal, and only directs that had a Smash reveal. He never re-tweeted a direct that didn't have one, and always re-tweeted the ones that did have one.

So we just need to see if Sakurai retweets this Direct. If he does, we get Roy (or some other character but I really doubt it). If he doesn't, then we don't get a Smash reveal.

StormC

Smash Hero
Actually, there was a Japan only popularity poll in I think February, Ridley got third place of the newcomers
This is definitely a newer phenomenon. Ridley has his fans in Japan, but he's still been a very niche character there. I'd maybe guess they took an interest in Ridley because of his pseudo-playable status in Pyrosphere, as well as a general lack of notable Nintendo characters left to add. Additionally, Japan has been less interested in newcomers than westerners for Smash 4, so being the third most requested newcomer for post-Smash 4 DLC may not be saying much.

But that's just my own speculation.

My timezone will allow me to stay up to watch the Direct tonight, so I might just do that. If it's true though that Sakurai retweets Directs with Smash info and hasn't yet, we probably shouldn't expect much.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This is definitely a newer phenomenon. Ridley has his fans in Japan, but he's still been a very niche character there. I'd maybe guess they took an interest in Ridley because of his pseudo-playable status in Pyrosphere, as well as a general lack of notable Nintendo characters left to add. Additionally, Japan has been less interested in newcomers than westerners for Smash 4, so being the third most requested newcomer for post-Smash 4 DLC may not be saying much.

But that's just my own speculation.

My timezone will allow me to stay up to watch the Direct tonight, so I might just do that. If it's true though that Sakurai retweets Directs with Smash info and hasn't yet, we probably shouldn't expect much.
PushDustin said Ridley's popularity had dropped before he made the poll.

Sakurai hasn't tweeted about the direct, right? Anyone know if he tweeted the April direct?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
PushDustin said Ridley's popularity had dropped before he made the poll.

Sakurai hasn't tweeted about the direct, right? Anyone know if he tweeted the April direct?
Presumably.

I'd also expect a fair amount of Pokemon content in the direct.
Morimoto is presenting.

Mew confirmed for Pokken!:troll:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Who's Nintendo's Goku?
From the game Yuyuki, it's a comedic parody of the original tale Journey to the West that Dragonball (the original, not Z/GT/Etc.) was derived from. On the NES.

Goku with the equivilent of Krilin, that one Pig dude who wished for Bulma's panties, and fourth person against the equivilent of King Piccolo.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Who's Nintendo's Goku?
That'd be the Goku from Yuyuki, which was the Famicom Disk System title that followed Shin Onigashima (which may be better-known to some degree due to a trophy in Melee).

He, and fellow protagonist Chao, have only since had cameo appearances in a couple of games in the Kirby series, though, and one of those was edited out of the Western version of the game concerned.

EDIT: Wow, I've been beaten to it by a crowd of super-ninjas! :laugh:

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Goku with the equivilent of Krilin, that one Pig dude who wished for Bulma's panties, and fourth person against the equivilent of King Piccolo.
I'm no expert on Journey To The West, but Kuririn and Piccolo Daimao were introduced long after the story stopped parodying it.

(The joke is that I am a Dragon Ball expert.)

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Much like a crocodile, I've taken mostly to lurking. K. Rool's odds are looking better than ever, rendering this thread... stagnant. We need a rival candidate, something to make the race more interesting. What is God without the Devil? Marvel without DC? Smash without Playstation All-Stars? Capitalism without Communism? Then again, I suppose I could just be happy that K. Rool is the most popular Nintendo character on the ballot.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Much like a crocodile, I've taken to mostly lurking. K. Rool's odds are looking better than ever, rendering this thread... stagnant. We need a rival candidate, something to make the race more interesting. What is God without the Devil? Marvel without DC? Smash without Playstation All-Stars? Capitalism without Communism. Then again, I suppose I could just be happy that K. Rool is the most popular Nintendo character on the ballot.
No, what's rendering the thread stagnant is lack of news. That will likely change come E3.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
No, what's rendering the thread stagnant is lack of news. That will likely change come E3.
I'll give you that, but E3 can only rile the masses for so long. Then again it's probably just my antagonistic nature causing me to favor conflict. It's no fun if there isn't a struggle...

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Much like a crocodile, I've taken mostly to lurking. K. Rool's odds are looking better than ever, rendering this thread... stagnant. We need a rival candidate, something to make the race more interesting. What is God without the Devil? Marvel without DC? Smash without Playstation All-Stars? Capitalism without Communism? Then again, I suppose I could just be happy that K. Rool is the most popular Nintendo character on the ballot.
Let's make up a Bizarro version of K. Rool who tries to ruin King K. Rools chances of getting into Smash.

His name is King K. Tool and he looks like a spray tan Jersey Shore version of K. Rool with obnoxious sun glasses and a t-shirt with the sleeves ripped off. He also wears big gold chains and has a fohawk.

Turns out it's just K. Rool in disguise tryin to make things interesting

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Basically, the conflict now is K. Rool vs. Disinterest. We have potential hurdles in the form of Splatoon actually selling and any E3 bandwagons that pop up. Overall though, barring a vendetta against the character from the top down, K. Rool will win or lose the ballot based on whether people keep voting for him or assume "he's a lock" and get lazy. Naturally, we can't let the latter happen.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Basically, the conflict now is K. Rool vs. Disinterest. We have potential hurdles in the form of Splatoon actually selling and any E3 bandwagons that pop up. Overall though, barring a vendetta against the character from the top down, K. Rool will win or lose the ballot based on whether people keep voting for him or assume "he's a lock" and get lazy. Naturally, we can't let the latter happen.
I'm guilty of being lazy. I voted on about 6 different devices when the ballot opened, going as far as stealing my friends' phones or verbally coercing them to vote. I got people that have no clue what Smash Bros or K. Rool is to vote for him. Since that initial burst of hype, I really slowed down.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I post stuff on Miiverse everyday with vote for K. Rool on it, I constantly post vote for K. Rool posters in any Smash related things relevant to the ballot. Just gotta keep him showing up everywhere. As long as we keep talking about him people will listen. Some say not to shove him down people's throats or else people will start hating him out of principal. That's true in some cases but only if people are being obnoxious and rude while pushing K. Rool. I find many K. Rool fans are not immature and push his inclusion in a mature manner and that's the best way because it makes others want to join in. We just got to keep working. We should tweet Reggie to wear a KrocTheVote shirt at E3 lol

StormC

Smash Hero
I need to get to work on my video. Hoping I can finish it within three weeks, before I go on vacation.

Other than that, I'm keeping my StreetPass message as VOTE K. ROOL (or is K. ROOL 4 SMASH better?) and discussing it every time I meet people who talk about video games. Two months down, four to go.

EDIT: Maybe KROOL4SMASH4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom