• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
As far as DK bosses go my favorites are Kleaver and the Kaptain himself. The kleaver fight felt really fun and intense with how it persued you and the Kaptain is one of the most intense battles in the series and possibly one of the most difficult and memorable final bosses in platformers i've played in general.

StormC

Smash Hero
Hey folks, so I actually started writing a script for my video. I may commission someone to speak it in my place because I'm not confident in my vocal skills.

Currently, I'm running with "ten reasons why to vote for K. Rool as Smash DLC." Here is what I have right now:

1. K. Rool is a Nintendo character.
2. K. Rool is an important Nintendo character.
3. K. Rool is a Donkey Kong character.
4. K. Rool is a heavyweight.
5. K. Rool is a villain.
6. K. Rool has a huge amount of moveset potential.
7. K. Rool fits the Smash 4 aesthetic.
8. K. Rool has multiple alternate costumes.
9. K. Rool is a western character.
10. K. Rool is a popular character.

Totally open to suggestions and critique, including whether or not to ditch the ten reason format.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Hey folks, so I actually started writing a script for my video. I may commission someone to speak it in my place because I'm not confident in my vocal skills.

Currently, I'm running with "ten reasons why to vote for K. Rool as Smash DLC." Here is what I have right now:

1. K. Rool is a Nintendo character.
2. K. Rool is an important Nintendo character.
3. K. Rool is a Donkey Kong character.
4. K. Rool is a heavyweight.
5. K. Rool is a villain.
6. K. Rool has a huge amount of moveset potential.
7. K. Rool fits the Smash 4 aesthetic.
8. K. Rool has multiple alternate costumes.
9. K. Rool is a western character.
10. K. Rool is a popular character.

Totally open to suggestions and critique, including whether or not to ditch the ten reason format.
11. K. Rool is a King, Pirate, Professor and a Boxer at once.
12. K. Rool is awesome.
13. K. Rool is the leader of the superior species.
14. K. Rool has an amazing singing voice.
15. K. Rool doesn't use a sword. (:troll:)

... I can't think of more. :p

StormC

Smash Hero
Number 11 would kinda go into both 6 and 8 (I should probably reorder them so they lead into each other).

Zynux

Smash Lord
I agree with this one so much. Chimp Caverns is pretty disappointing for not introducing any new archetypes. A friend of mine once said that DKC1 is a rare game where you could cut the last world of the game out of it and it would actually improve.
DKC has 4 different Caves/Mines locations throughout the game:
  • Caves (Cave Dweller Concert)
  • Minecart Levels (Minecart madness)
  • Generic Mine levels (Life in the Mines)
  • Dark Mines (Misty Menace)
A bit overkill, don't you think? I was pretty surprised myself when I first played DKC a year ago and seeing just how many of them there were. I love Mine levels, but it made the first DKC seem a bit bare in locations in comparison to the rest of the series.

I agree. Tropical Freeze is a fantastic game and is far better than Returns ever was. But as far as sequels go, it was a bit disappointing. Retro Studios did a phenomenal job designing the levels, but in order to best Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3, there are some major issues that need addressing. The bonus rooms are still bad, the puzzle pieces aren't rewarding to collect, the Kremlings are nowhere to be found, and there aren't enough Kongs or Animal Buddies. Character design is obviously not their forte.
I still vastly prefer DKC2 over Tropical Freeze. There are too many issues I have with Tropical Freeze that were also in Returns that they didn't bother to fix.

Also, I felt that Tropical Freeze was overall much easier then Returns, another aspect I don't like.

That reminds me of an interview with Retro. One of the employees of Retro said, that he would have liked to bring more animal buddies to the game.

Ever since I wondered why they didn't just make them then...

...Maybe they saved them for DKCR 3?
They could make a come-back alongside the Kremlings and new unique worlds like the moon world.

-image snip-
DuckTales? What's a DuckTales?

I actually would love to see some of the concept art in-game. Some like these:
Most seem to speculate that the extra Kongs (Dixie and Cranky) made more Animal Buddies redundant, which I can understand. However, I still think the designers could have found ways to utilize them. It's bizarre that Tropical Freeze implements underwater segments and still omits Enguarde.

D

Deleted member

16. K. King K Rool has a bigger dong then all the characters in smash 4 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
17. KKR is not another anime-look a-like-character
18. King K. Rool is an animal and we barley have some of those in Smash
19. KKR is more of a cartoony / goofy character and we only have a few of them in this series
20. KKR represents in his way the former relationship between Nintendo and Rareware (Diddy became more a a typical Nintendo character over the years - you know cute, harmless, down to earth, normal)

Hey guys let talk about our favourite bosses in the DK series? :D
Bleak in DKC3 is my favourite boss to fight, outside of Kaptain K. Rool in DKC2.

What do you think are the hardest ones?

For some reason I struggle with Barbos.

My (unpopular or popular) DK opinions.

- DKCR and TF bonus rooms are disappointing. Need more variety in terms of the levels.
- The collectibles in DKCR and TF don't make you feel rewarded.
- Boss fights in DKCR and TF were more enjoyable compared to the original trilogy.
- Need more animal buddies.
- DKC1 is the least enjoyable out of the original trilogy.
- Tiny Kong is redundant.
- I don't like having repeating bosses, aside from K. Rool in the Lost World. (Necky, Krow, Gnawty)
- Dixie should have been in DK64
- DK64 isn't that all grating, once you get all the Kongs and finish the first 2 levels with all of them it gets more tolerable.
- K. Rool's DK64 boss fight, while fun, was a touch anti climatic and a bit of a let down.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Bleak in DKC3 is my favourite boss to fight, outside of Kaptain K. Rool in DKC2

What do you think are the hardest ones out of the original trilogy?

For some reason I struggle with Barbos.

- DKCR and TF bonus rooms are disappointing. Need more variety in terms of the levels.
- The collectibles in DKCR and TF don't make you feel rewarded.
- Need more animal buddies.
- DKC1 is the least enjoyable out of the original trilogy.
- Tiny Kong is redundant.
- I don't like having repeating bosses, aside from K. Rool in the Lost World. (Necky, Krow, Gnawty)
- Dixie should have been in DK64
- DK64 isn't that all grating, once you get all the Kongs and finish the first 2 levels with all of them it gets more tolerable.
- K. Rool's DK64 boss fight, while fun, was a touch anti climatic and a bit of a let down.
Um dude most of you're unpopular opinion are popular opinion :laugh: like the "Dixie should have been in DK64" for example but I still like you're post.

StormC

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I just finished the first draft of my K. Rool video script. Question: does anyone have a hard source for the "four rules" Sakurai put forward for a character being in Smash?

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
I allow myself to wirte something about those points:

- 1. The character's inclusion must make people want to play the game.
(I think this also can be referred to "how popular is the character or could he become an interesting fighter".
Because everyone knows, if a character is popular, he gets played, regardless of how he fights.
But if it is a less popular character that seems like an interesting fighter, like Wii Fit Trainer, people get interested in this character and want to play the game, just because the character looks interesting.)
King K. Rool could be both, he is popular (that's a fact) and could have an interesting moveset.

- 2. The character must be unique.
Some people see K. Rool as a second Bowser, but he is way more than that, personality wise and David moveset wise.
As we all know.

- 3. The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.
K. Rool does that. I don't have to say more.
(I bet he made this point just because of Ridley anyways.)

- 4. They must contribute to the game balance.
No problem here. He could be a strong heavyweight, maybe fast moving but attacks with a bit lag, and a okay to good recovery.
Perfectly balanced.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Here's what I put down:

1. The character’s inclusion must make people want to play the game.
K. Rool has proven himself to be one of, if not THE most requested character for Smash DLC. It would be a no brainer for Sakurai to add him for the many fans who would be more than happy to pay to play as him.

2. The character must be unique.
As a heavyweight with a focus on projectiles, traps, and trickery, K. Rool would be one of the most unique characters in Smash history.

3. The character must fit into the style of Smash Bros.
Being a cartoon crocodile with an affinity for dressing up in colorful, comical costumes, he would look perfect amongst the rest of the cast.

4. The character must contribute to the game balance.
With a game sorely lacking in heavyweights, K. Rool would tip the scales further towards that fighter type, and further flesh out the roster with the unique attributes he has to offer.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Here's what I put down:

1. The character’s inclusion must make people want to play the game.
K. Rool has proven himself to be one of, if not THE most requested character for Smash DLC. It would be a no brainer for Sakurai to add him for the many fans who would be more than happy to pay to play as him.

2. The character must be unique.
As a heavyweight with a focus on projectiles, traps, and trickery, K. Rool would be one of the most unique characters in Smash history.

3. The character must fit into the style of Smash Bros.
Being a cartoon crocodile with an affinity for dressing up in colorful, comical costumes, he would look perfect amongst the rest of the cast.

4. The character must contribute to the game balance.
With a game sorely lacking in heavyweights, K. Rool would tip the scales further towards that fighter type, and further flesh out the roster with the unique attributes he has to offer.
Nothing against your points, but I think point 3. "The character must fit into the style of Smash Bros." doesn't mean the artistic, or design style, but rather the style of how Smash works and what it is.
So, I mean things like: "Is he too big?" and "Is he a real life human and therefore not fitting?"

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Sakurai has limited vision. Any character can be a unique fighter with some imagination. So that whole "would they make a unique fighter?" is a completely pointless question to ask.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Actually, speaking of hammerspace, what if for K. Rool's down B, he generated boxing gloves on his hands? Like, maybe he can temporarily summon them to mix them into his physical attacks, or he just has a strong boxing glove punch as a single down B attack.
In my opinion use of the boxing gloves shouldn't extend beyond the standard attacks and tilts. They're a nice reference to the DK64 boss fight that saves them having to make up a standard moveset whilst saving all the room in the special moves for the references to his gadgets and weapons.

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice

- Lanky Kong, Tiny Kong and Chunky Kong are really all underrated Kongs. They are actually quit enjoyable characters to play with and they make the Kong cast a bit more colorful.
- I see Klump and Krusha as their own characters, even if Rareware represented them more as a group of enemies like they did it with the Kritters.
- I think Kip, Kass, Kalypso and Kludge should all be recurring characters in the DK Franchise. I see a lot of potential in them.A specially in Kalypso since she seems as some sort of second in command for the Kremling Krew.
- In my opinion Kiddy Kong wasn't that bad of a character. I do not care much for him but on the other hand I do not hate him like ofter fans. Just not that original. That's all.
- I think that it was quit sad that Rareware couldn't finish Donkey Kong Racing. That game looked quit funny and it would be teh first game in the series where you could play as majority of the Kong characters.
- I find the Tikis quit original. Their biggest problem is that the just do nor have any personality like most of the newer Nintendo characters.
- Bashmaster would have made a much better leader for the Snowmads. I mean he is a polar bear and they are the biggest land carnivore of the arctic region.
- King K. Rool's next disguise should be an african / tropical sorcerer themed personality. Maybe some sort of shaman like Mumbo Jumbo? Maybe we could even bring the Tikis into the plot?
- King K. Rool should get his tail back. I mean why did the get rid of his tail? Because of his long cape? I mean every Kremling has one: Klump, Krusha, Kludge, Kritter, Kalyps, Kopter etc. Why not their king? With out his tail he looks just like a oversized frog.
- I would like to see another Donkey Kong / Diddy Kong Racing Game. For real fun racers the only option you have left is Mario Kart. F-Zero is almost dead, Crash Bandicoot Racing is dead and Sonic & All-Stars Racing will not get any sequels since Sega wants to focus more on mobile games.

here is a trailer idea for k rool.....if it seems weird thats because i actually dreamt this and you know dreams are weird

it started with krool watching dk and diddy battling bowser through a small tv screen,he clenches his fist out of anger and k rool says in his dk 64 voice "i have waited long enough,if smash wont come to me then i will come to smash" he then gets his crown and throws it up as hard as he can.....he throws it so hard that the earth cracks beneath him and you can see a sonic boom come from the crown as it speeds off into the sky at over 1000mph, the camera then zooms out to show a view of the earth it follows k rools crown as it circles around the entire planet before slowly entering back into the atmosphere.

on the other side of the world dk and diddy are hanging on the edge of a cliff while bowser is about to step on their fingers. then you see a twinkle in the sky and BAM!! the krown hits bowser and bounces off of him back up into space while bowser gets sent flying away, the crown circles around the planet once more.

it then goes back to krool and it shows the crown coming down to k rool like a meteor, k rool uses all of his strength to catch it....he does and then places it back atop his head and then it shows his message "K.rool forces his return" cue gameplay.

it then shows the second ballot winner.....popeye the sailor who is a little mac clone!

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
As far as DK bosses go my favorites are Kleaver and the Kaptain himself. The kleaver fight felt really fun and intense with how it persued you and the Kaptain is one of the most intense battles in the series and possibly one of the most difficult and memorable final bosses in platformers i've played in general.
Kleaver and Kaptain are probably my favorite bosses to. But I also loved KAOS, and Kerozene who is a DKC2 GBA exclusive boss - real challenging, real awesome looking. Dumb Drum was probably my favorite boss in the orignal DKC, and I enjoyed King K.Rool the battle as well. Kreepy Krow and King Zing where also boss battles that I found challenging as a kid. Ohh and Kudgel!

Yeah, the SNES triology had some awesome bosses. I never get why people speak so badly of the bosses of the Rare DKCs.

Also, wishing Donkey Kong Racing happened isn't actually an unpopular opinion. I swear I'd still be playing that game if it would've been released.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Anyone else here suspecting Retro didn't want to touch King K.Rool in fear of not getting his characterisation right?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Anyone else here suspecting Retro didn't want to touch King K.Rool in fear of not getting his characterisation right?
I feel like their issue with DKCR was that they really wanted to stand out doing something original with the DK Country line and thus didn't use the kremlings and K. Rool from the work of Rare. It was their first time really using the IP and wanted to make sure they stood out. Metroid Prime being an FPS who used the space pirates and metroids limitedly and still had their own version of Ridley for the fight... and honestly delineated from there.

The Snowmads... honestly felt like an intermediate thing between "Retro" and "Rare" concepts, and I'm hoping that DKCR3 will have a return to the original baddies.

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
All of Luigi Lucarelli's art is amazing! Especially the K. Rool one!

I also like that he used the #KrocTheVote hashtag!

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Sakurai has limited vision. Any character can be a unique fighter with some imagination. So that whole "would they make a unique fighter?" is a completely pointless question to ask.
The problem is, his MO seems to be "How can we make this unique a character?" rather than the other way around. Which means who gets in feels like a tossup sometimes.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Drol means turd
Euh...sorry i can't understand this "word". But just for say that this "pun" was here before and nobody have say anthing special about it, so yeah. Anyways...Embarrass

Top Bottom