• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I think the DK fanbase should be happy they are getting unique and fresh villains in the new Donkey Kong game I mean like I said before do you have any idea how much we mario fans would kill to have new villans in 3D and 2D mario games!?!
I know we have new villain but there in RPG and half the time bowser steal the spotlight from them
(****....DREAMY.....BOWSER) the only time we got new villain without bowser screwing them over was smithy,wart and tantaga and that was a long time a go so I mean I miss K.rool to but I really love the new villains too and I'm happy we are getting some like the evil kong,the tiki tak tribe and the snomads so much I hope they appear in the next DK game I feel like they are to good to be one off villains.......................PLEASE DON'T KILL ME! :(
Didn't you write this exact same comment like 3 pages ago.:009:

it took me awhile(still sick) but i finished it....here is king krusha k.rool from donkey kong 64

its my first time doing him so it may not be completely accurate but i tried my best.

colored and uncolored

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think the DK fanbase should be happy they are getting unique and fresh villains in the new Donkey Kong game I mean like I said before do you have any idea how much we mario fans would kill to have new villans in 3D and 2D mario games!?!
I know we have new villain but there in RPG and half the time bowser steal the spotlight from them
(****....DREAMY.....BOWSER) the only time we got new villain without bowser screwing them over was smithy,wart and tantaga and that was a long time a go. I miss K.rool too but I really love the new villains too and I'm happy we are getting some like the evil kong,the tiki tak tribe and the snomads so much I hope they appear in the next DK game I feel like they are to good to be one off villains.......................PLEASE DON'T KILL ME! :(
Play DKC1-3 then tell me that the Kremlings don't look new and fresh in every game. The thing with the Kremlings is they are extremely flexible and have distinct differences and personality from game-to-game, especially K. Rool.

The DK fanbase is happen just to have more DKC games again, but still feel that the Kremlings were better villains and more versatile than the newcomers. I hate these comments about "oh DK fans should be happy we're getting NEW and UNIQUE" villains WHEN WE ALREADY DID IN EVERY SINGLE GAME!

Honestly, I'm glad that DK64 finally brought back some of the classics because I didn't want them to just keep creating new Kremlings and supporting antagonists all the time, I'd kinda like a mix. K. Rool gets a new persona every game, and we have both old and new Kremlings, plus new and old supporting enemies. And many of the different numbers of Kremlings alone are incredibly distinct from a visual standpoint. How about Kopter, or Kaboing?

Hell, Kopter could even be adapted to the modern setting where they have single flying enemies like the flying Tikis and Owls. I also really, really like the Zingers and want to see them come back as well. Yeah, there were bee enemies in TF but I didn't really like them all that much.

D

Deleted member

Play DKC1-3 then tell me that the Kremlings don't look new and fresh in every game. The thing with the Kremlings is they are extremely flexible and have distinct differences and personality from game-to-game, especially K. Rool.

The DK fanbase is happen just to have more DKC games again, but still feel that the Kremlings were better villains and more versatile than the newcomers. I hate these comments about "oh DK fans should be happy we're getting NEW and UNIQUE" villains WHEN WE ALREADY DID IN EVERY SINGLE GAME!

Honestly, I'm glad that DK64 finally brought back some of the classics because I didn't want them to just keep creating new Kremlings and supporting antagonists all the time, I'd kinda like a mix. K. Rool gets a new persona every game, and we have both old and new Kremlings, plus new and old supporting enemies. And many of the different numbers of Kremlings alone are incredibly distinct from a visual standpoint. How about Kopter, or Kaboing?

Hell, Kopter could even be adapted to the modern setting where they have single flying enemies like the flying Tikis and Owls. I also really, really like the Zingers and want to see them come back as well. Yeah, there were bee enemies in TF but I didn't really like them all that much.
I understand what you are saying I just really love seeing new villain in a nintendo game but yeah I hope the kremling krew come back in the next DK game too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
To continue with Jaidyn's post, I picked up Tropical Freeze and here's my initial thoughts after I had binged on all DKC's...

(Copied from a Kutthroat Skype Chat)

Well...I really am enjoying myself. It's a very fun and well designed game with levels that flow extremely well. I jumped with glee like a little girl when I first encountered Rambi.‏ The gameplay is awesome, I love how the game flows. It's fun and engaging.

But...‏

It's a VERY different feel without the Kremlings, and I'm not sure if I like it. I'm not particularly in love with the Snowmads but they aren't bad enemies, just...different. It doesn't feel...right, ya know? I loved the whole Reptile Vs. Mammal dynamic going on with K. Rool and it just seems completely empty without Kremlings....and K. Rool himself.‏ I just don't like the variety of Snowmads. They don't strike me as visually appealing like Kremlings, who are all visually distinct from one another and were fresh with each iteration. With Snowmads we get....a penguin...a slightly older penguin...the same penguin with a horned helmet and a slightly bigger penguin with a fish bone spear....etc. With Kremlings we get a small one with Helicopter Blades as a helmet, flying around, we get one that throws hooks as boomerangs that wears a trench coat, a blue buff Kremling that is a soldier, one that's dark red and is a military officer etc.

Bottom line, it's not complete without Kremlings‏

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To continue with Jaidyn's post, I picked up Tropical Freeze and here's my initial thoughts after I had binged on all DKC's...

(Copied from a Kutthroat Skype Chat)

Well...I really am enjoying myself. It's a very fun and well designed game with levels that flow extremely well. I jumped with glee like a little girl when I first encountered Rambi.‏ The gameplay is awesome, I love how the game flows. It's fun and engaging.

But...‏

It's a VERY different feel without the Kremlings, and I'm not sure if I like it. I'm not particularly in love with the Snowmads but they aren't bad enemies, just...different. It doesn't feel...right, ya know? I loved the whole Reptile Vs. Mammal dynamic going on with K. Rool and it just seems completely empty without Kremlings....and K. Rool himself.‏ I just don't like the variety of Snowmads. They don't strike me as visually appealing like Kremlings, who are all visually distinct from one another and were fresh with each iteration. With Snowmads we get....a penguin...a slightly older penguin...the same penguin with a horned helmet and a slightly bigger penguin with a fish bone spear....etc. With Kremlings we get a small one with Helicopter Blades as a helmet, flying around, we get one that throws hooks as boomerangs that wears a trench coat, a blue buff Kremling that is a soldier, one that's dark red and his a military officer etc.

Bottom line, it's not complete without Kremlings‏
I see but what did you think of the bosses in DKCTF?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If there's one thing I gotta say about DKC TF that it actually does better than the classics, EXCEPT for Lord Frederik, the bosses are the best in the series. All of them are creatively unique in their own ways and are a real challenge. The only thing I dislike about them is how they're so damn big. Yeah, big is intimidating, but they don't have to be SO MASSIVELY HUGE.

Another thing I like about them: not a SINGLE recolor boss in the entire game. The only other game to actually pull this off prior was DKC3. (I don't count the second K. Rool fights in DKC3 and DKL3 because both were fully unique compared to the first battle against him in each game and were basically bonus bosses.)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
As for Kremling designs, I didn't quite like the proportion of the mooks in the DKC3 honestly. DKC was the original, so can't say anything about it, while DKC2 had a unifying pirate theme. Compared to those, DKC3's Kremling mooks felt a little lacking.

I prefer

:231:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
As for Kremling designs, I didn't quite like the proportion of the mooks in the DKC3 honestly. DKC was the original, so can't say anything about it, while DKC2 had a unifying pirate theme. Compared to those, DKC3's Kremling mooks felt a little lacking.

I prefer

:231:
In DKC, though, the Kremlings are all wearing military style of gear and are formatted as a sort of army. The regular Kritters are even wearing armor (similar to K. Rool's gold-plated belly).

DKC3's Kremling mooks were definitely lacking as they had no sort of unifying theme. However, several of them were quite good and stand out above other games. Kaboing and Kopter are the ones I like most. They even brought back Kopter for DK: Barrel Blast.

Last edited:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Bosses were definitely fun characters...from the one I only went up against XD

I cannot STAND DKC 3's art style (Ironically, I LOVE Baron K. Roolenstein) but the kremlings were still different from another, and I love Kopter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If there's one thing I gotta say about DKC TF that it actually does better than the classics, EXCEPT for Lord Frederik, the bosses are the best in the series. All of them are creatively unique in their own ways and are a real challenge. The only thing I dislike about them is how they're so damn big. Yeah, big is intimidating, but they don't have to be SO MASSIVELY HUGE.

Another thing I like about them: not a SINGLE recolor boss in the entire game. The only other game to actually pull this off prior was DKC3. (I don't count the second K. Rool fights in DKC3 and DKL3 because both were fully unique compared to the first battle against him in each game and were basically bonus bosses.)
big bosses what about Ba-Boom the Boisterous? also I believe Lord Frederik was a good challenging final boss I die so many times from this guy.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
big bosses what about Ba-Boom the Boisterous? also I believe Lord Frederik was a good challenging final boss I die so many times from this guy.
Frederik is a challenging boss, but I don't think he was that interesting overall. Except for being massively huge and being able to freeze sections of the platforms, he did nothing that K. Rool hasn't done before and I just didn't care for the battle that much. Especially compared to past K. Rool boss battles that just felt far more memorable.

Frederik has little-to-no personality. We see very little of him throughout the game, and there's no real motivation for his actions throughout the game. I will admit, he's probably the second most difficult final boss I've fought in a DK game (after King Krusha K. Rool), but that doesn't mean I liked him all that much.

And even that's arguable; this is long after I've played the classic DKC games numerous times and can easily beat each boss, and I still have a lot of trouble with Kaptain K. Rool's first battle and Baron K. Roolenstein's second.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Frederik is a challenging boss, but I don't think he was that interesting overall. Except for being massively huge and being able to freeze sections of the platforms, he did nothing that K. Rool hasn't done before and I just didn't care for the battle that much. Especially compared to past K. Rool boss battles that just felt far more memorable.

Frederik has little-to-no personality. We see very little of him throughout the game, and there's no real motivation for his actions throughout the game. I will admit, he's probably the second most difficult final boss I've fought in a DK game (after King Krusha K. Rool), but that doesn't mean I liked him all that much.

And even that's arguable; this is long after I've played the classic DKC games numerous times and can easily beat each boss, and I still have a lot of trouble with Kaptain K. Rool's first battle and Baron K. Roolenstein's second.
I still feel like King K. could have taken almost everything from Frederik's fight.
Hopping into the background and raining down minions/projectiles, taunting you to try to hit him while he's back there.
Hopping into the foreground to try to ram you down.
The massive jump that causes the platforms to go through a wave.

He basically was Vi-King K. Rool to me. The very similar body shape didn't help.

D

Deleted member

I still feel like King K. could have taken almost everything from Frederik's fight.
Hopping into the background and raining down minions/projectiles, taunting you to try to hit him while he's back there.
Hopping into the foreground to try to ram you down.
The massive jump that causes the platforms to go through a wave.

He basically was Vi-King K. Rool to me. The very similar body shape didn't help.
So you(and many others) would be happy if King K Rool just hijacked this final boss battle?

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Unpopular DK opinion : one of my favorite part of tropical freeze was collecting the figures and I like the Tikis.

Also, everyones is making E3 prediction, but I saw no one mentionning Paper Mario in their list.

Burruni

Smash Hero
So you(and many others) would be happy if King K Rool just hijacked this final boss battle?
The issue is that Frederick in design as a character and a fight was very same-y for K. Rool.

If it was a Wart situation where the boss had a similar bodyshape to the "traditional" boss but a unique way to be fought, it wouldn't be a problem.

The boss was Uncanny Valley. I'd be a bit happier if it was Vi-King K. Rool instead of Frederick just to have him RETURN to the series. But moreso if they had a bit more striking boss fight for their original villain.

Say what you want about Bowser constantly being the Mario antagonist, but they often keep his fights feeling unique. It's the inverted situation.

D

Deleted member

The issue is that Frederick in design as a character and a fight was very same-y for K. Rool.

If it was a Wart situation where the boss had a similar bodyshape to the "traditional" boss but a unique way to be fought, it wouldn't be a problem.

The boss was Uncanny Valley. I'd be a bit happier if it was Vi-King K. Rool instead of Frederick just to have him RETURN to the series. But moreso if they had a bit more striking boss fight for their original villain.

Say what you want about Bowser constantly being the Mario antagonist, but they often keep his fights feeling unique. It's the inverted situation.
I see will I don't want to give you (and many other) the impression that I hate the Kremlings I love them I really love so much it not even funny I just feel like the other villains get to much hate is all I hope not only will k.rool get back in another DK game but also get into smash 4 he really deservers it and you guys are awesome supporting him so far ;).

Burruni

Smash Hero
I see will I don't want to give you (and many other) the impression that I hate the Kremlings I love them I really love so much it not even funny I just feel like the other villains get to much hate is all I hope not only will k.rool get back in another DK game but also get into smash 4 he really deservers it and you guys are awesome supporting him so far ;).
Nah, mang.
The Tikis + Animals were okay, with Tiki Tong being a bit of a disappointment due to being the old Nintendo Classic "Face & Hands Boss."

The Snowmads were a bit less impressive for the normal enemies, but had some good boss fights up to UnKanny Valley Frederik.

Really my issue is just with Retro doing final bosses, it seems =P

Edit: Actually... I didn't like any of the Metroid Prime final bosses either. WELP.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Just saying, when someone comes into a support thread for King K. Rool and starts asking questions of why K. Rool fans don't like Tikis and Snowmads, what responses are they expecting to get......

D

Deleted member

Just saying, when someone comes into a support thread for King K. Rool and starts asking questions of why K. Rool fans don't like Tikis and Snowmads, what responses are they expecting to get......
I guess I'm an idiot huh? :laugh: I was just wondering what K Rool fanbase opinions on the Tikis and Snowmads is all no harm in asking right?

Burruni

Smash Hero
I guess I'm an idiot huh? :laugh: I was just wondering what K Rool fanbase opinions on the Tikis and Snowmads is all no harm done right?
TBF this has kinda become a "Donkey Kong Country Central."
The Snowmads get a bit more hate than they "deserve" because of after the complaints from fans that Kremlings and K. Rool didn't appear at all in DKCR, we got Snowmads in the sequel instead.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
What is everyone opinion on retro studio and sakurai? also if King K Rool get into smash 4 for DLC what other DK character do you all want to see in future smash games?
I hear people sling around different Kongs for Smash all the time. One day, I thought, "Why not combine them all?". Maybe do a character titled "Kong Family" With more Obscure Kongs like Funky, Lanky, Chunky, Trixie, etc. working in tandem. Have an animation similar to the tag team animations in the Donkey Kong Country series for when they need to do a different move. Have a wild menagerie of Lanky's arms for tilts, Funky's coconut bazooka for a side special, Chunky doing ground pounds and such, the possibilities are really open. Just have them "switch out" in like two or three frames each time a different Kong is needed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

TBF this has kinda become a "Donkey Kong Country Central."
The Snowmads get a bit more hate than they "deserve" because of after the complaints from fans that Kremlings and K. Rool didn't appear at all in DKCR, we got Snowmads in the sequel instead.
But look at the "Mr. Bright side" :awesome:(a kirby fan will get that joke) at least there is a chances in the future of all the three bosses to work together in a future DK game I can just picture it now.

Burruni

Smash Hero
But look at the "Mr. Bright side" :awesome:(a kirby fan will get that joke) at least there is a chances in the future of all the three bosses to work together in a future DK game I can just picture it now.
Tiki Tong kinda got CRUSHED BY THE MOON.

Frederik and King K. would be a bit interesting to be put together as a team.

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
My real issue with the new villains is actually not the reason they replaced the Kremlings, but they have the same problem like most Nintendo characters now a days. Most of them do not have any personality.

Nintendo want's to keep their characters and the stories in a neutral position unlike Rareware, who filled their games with personality. Not only you can see that on the Kremlings and K. Rool: Banjo, Conker, Kameo etc. Rareware wanted to make games with stand out characters and unique personality.

Nintendo on the other hand wants to keep their characters more down to earth, normal, neutral like I said. That's at least my few on the new villains. The Tikis are actually very unique and original new villains. Their design is simple, the idea is quit interesting, but they have almost now personality and most of them feel like cheep copy versions of already established Mario enemies. Same goes for that evil Kongs in Jungle Beat. They are so forgettable and bland that no one even remembers them now a days or talks about them. The Snowmads on the other hand are by far the best villains for the DK series beside the Kremlings. They have character and most of them even have funny ways of attacking you, like the Kremlings did back in the good old Rareware days.

It's just my opinion but so I see the whole situation with the newer DK villains. It would actually be nice to have more recurring villains for the DK franchise. And I wouldn't mind if the Kremlings, Snowmads and Tikis will stick all as recurring villains. Maybe even have one game where King K. Rool, Lord Fredric and Krazy Kalimba (don't ask me why but it seems that this dude represents the Tikis more than Tiki Tong did) join together as a team.

Last edited:

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
Is it actually clear that Tiki Tong died? It's hard to say on Nintendo villains because most of them just puff out in a cloud and are gone.
I also thought in Sonic Lost World that the Deadly Six died but they just fled at they end of the fight.But they also showed that their with a puffing cloud like in the Nintendo games.

Burruni

Smash Hero
So what final smash did you guys think up for King K Rool?
There are two main ones that I see being done.
1) Kannonball Kalamity - Cannonballs from offstage like PK Starstorm in Brawl

2) Kredits Roll - King K plays dead, causing large fake credits to quickly scroll to the top of the screen, sweeping fighters up and killing them off the top like the LandMaster.

Top Bottom