• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Getting K. Rool back into the actual DKC games is my ultimate interest here, but if I had to choose a game for his return right now, it would be Smash. Smash gives an automatic fanbase to even the least character-y of characters (many examples), not to mention ones like K. Rool, and also works as a 'king-maker.'

If K. Rool got into DKCR3 first, he might or might not get into Smash, and he could easily be replaced the game following that one. With a Smash appearance brought about as a direct result of fans, however, development teams would be very hard-pressed to justify asking "Does he need to come back?" or laughing about "no crocodiles." He'd be in it for the long haul, no longer an expendable part of the DK franchise, which has had a long history of development teams throwing classic elements out for the sake of throwing their own crap at the wall to see what sticks.

Not to mention, even the best K. Rool boss fight is still a boss fight. Smash would give players the opportunity to direct their own boss fight using the character, which truly is a once-in-a-character-lifetime sort of thing.
I'll be mighty surprised indeed if K. Rool doesn't get in at this point. How many votes did he get anyway?

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
I'm still curious how awkward his walk will be.

He's going to be in though I mean me and about every smasher out there wants him. Also, we need more heavyweights and villains and more dk characters. I have a feeling both him and dixie will be dlc sooner or later

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I'm surprised by how many people think K. Rool returning to DKC is a sure thing. Can't say I'm as optimistic.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'll be mighty surprised indeed if K. Rool doesn't get in at this point. How many votes did he get anyway?
Nobody can say for sure. However, he's almost always in the top 3 of exit polls that have thousands of votes.

I'm glad that people are so certain K. Rool will be added, but I have to see it with mine own two eyes myself.

I'm surprised by how many people think K. Rool returning to DKC is a sure thing. Can't say I'm as optimistic.
K. Rool in Smash practically guarantees his longevity as a character. Can't say K. Rool in DKCR3 guarantees much.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Nintendo tried replacing K. Rool 3 times, (Evil Kongs in Jungle Beat, the Tiki's and Snowmads) and they all turned out to be one-shots and were not as popular as K. Rool or the Kremlings.

The fact that K. Rool continued to appear in King of Swing and Jungle Climber on GBA and DS shows how they're viewed as the main villains.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Well guys it took me 18 years but I yesterday finally beat K. Rool in DKC2. I got every dk coin and kremkoin as well so just need to do the harder levels in the lost world then I'll be getting my deserved full ending ; )

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Well guys it took me 18 years but I yesterday finally beat K. Rool in DKC2. I got every dk coin and kremkoin as well so just need to do the harder levels in the lost world then I'll be getting my deserved full ending ; )
DKC 2 was hard though..sheesh. That level where you have to be all of the animal buddies....O>O omg...I thought I would never get passed the bird section...

StormC

Smash Hero
Animal Antics is easily the most difficult level in the trilogy. I've never beaten the Squawks section, I'm loath to admit.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Nintendo tried replacing K. Rool 3 times, (Evil Kongs in Jungle Beat, the Tiki's and Snowmads) and they all turned out to be one-shots and were not as popular as K. Rool or the Kremlings.

The fact that K. Rool continued to appear in King of Swing and Jungle Climber on GBA and DS shows how they're viewed as the main villains.
Not just that but the massive amounts of people requesting the Kremlings to come back...

StormC

Smash Hero
Well joy, I still have to do that level. GOING TO DO COMPLETE IT:grrr:
The annoying part is it's only difficult because of the Squawks section, which constitutes 1/5th of the whole level.

So I guess, the most consistently difficult level in the trilogy is... I dunno, Swoopy Salvo?

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Animal Antics is easily the most difficult level in the trilogy. I've never beaten the Squawks section, I'm loath to admit.
Oh god, the nightmares are returning. Glad I beaten that and I don't plan to do it ever again.

It's funny that the Donkey Kong Land 2 version was a breeze compared to the Country one, though.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Oh god, the nightmares are returning. Glad I beaten that and I don't plan to do it ever again.

It's funny that the Donkey Kong Land 2 version was a breeze compared to the Country one, though.
That's because there is no breeze. :D

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Oh, I just remembered: A couple years ago I beaten a DKC fan game with 104% that was really fun. The game is called "Donkey Kong Country 4: The DK Bay". The story takes place sometime between Donkey Kong Land III and Donkey Kong 64 (can't say how exactly without spoiling the story). It contains 30 levels and 7 bosses and has a challenge/frustration similar to the official games. For the artstyle it uses the same as DK: King of Swing (but a little primitive in some areas of the game). My only complaints with the game are the game physics could use some more polishing (kinda slippery) and that going to Cranky's Cabin to save causes you number of lives reset to default.

And yes, our King is the main antagonist.

If you want to try it, here it is: http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/159275-donkey-kong-country-4---the-dk-bay

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Well we are all entitled to our own opinions. And yes I have beaten all the DKC games including Returns and TF. DK 64 is probably my favorite. I don't expect everyone to agree so glad to hear at least one person speak against it.
I understand you like the classic DK's better but your post about the enemy groups is total nonsense to me. Your main point as to why Kremlings are more creative is because they're fighting apes? You don't even say anything else about them, lol. You also just seem to be flat out ignoring all the other non penguin types in the snowmads despite mentioning alot of them in the same post.

Also penguins just being enemies makes the entirety of the snowmads worse and not creative because they were popular in the past. Ok.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I understand you like the classic DK's better but your post about the enemy groups is total nonsense to me. Your main point as to why Kremlings are more creative is because they're fighting apes? You don't even say anything else about them, lol. You also just seem to be flat out ignoring all the other non penguin types in the snowmads despite mentioning alot of them in the same post.

Also penguins just being enemies makes the entirety of the snowmads worse and not creative because they were popular in the past. Ok.
I went into it as deep as I wanted to go is all. If you want me to bash the enemies more then okay? (Just picked penguins out of the lot, due to them being the MOST generic) I feel I gave all the explanation I needed to. It is just my opinion. Sorry you are taking it so hard. Many people hate the new DK games and have never played them. Fortunately for me, I have played them and just don't prefer them. Everyone should expect Kremling bias in this thread. This is Kremling King K Rool thread, not the DK games in general thread.

Last edited:

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman

It's not quite bringing sexy back but I'm getting there. My first more or less complete panel.
(Makes you wonder if it's even gonna be worth it. The long-ass time I've spent on it. Perfectionism in full force.)

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
The new DKC's are quite different from the classic ones in many aspects, so its understandable if they turn a few people off. They're not bad games in anyway way though, and Tropical Freeze is pretty much the best game on the Wii U. also yeah hating the new DKs just cause of the lack crocodiles is super silly lol, new enemy varieties are nice. The same bad guys over and over would be boring.

I went into it as deep as I wanted to go is all. If you want me to bash the enemies more then okay?
tbh I'd love for you to explain yourself better. Your post was very lacking.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The new DKC's are quite different from the classic ones in many aspects, so its understandable if they turn a few people off. They're not bad games in anyway way though, and Tropical Freeze is pretty much the best game on the Wii U. also yeah hating the new DKs just cause of the lack crocodiles is super silly lol, new enemy varieties are nice. The same bad guys over and over would be boring.

tbh I'd love for you to explain yourself better. Your post was very lacking.
But... Mario always fights the same bad guys over and over. And the Kremlings mixed things up greatly from game to game in the original DKC trilogy, so I honestly hate this argument.

Not that lack of Kremlings makes the new games bad. But saying that having the same enemies would be boring, but its fine when other games do it (and the Kremlings always vary from game to game) is quite silly.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I'm surprised anybody would think the SNES DKC trilogy isn't much easier than the Retro games. The difficulty difference is pretty apparent to me.

The SNES trilogy definitely had some tough moments, but not much more than, say, Super Mario Bros. 3. The Retro sidescrollers are some of the most challenging non-NES/ROM-hack platformers I've ever played.
I found the difficulty curve to be pretty similar to be honest. Though i do have to say most of the bosses i found to have much more complex patterns than dkc 1 and 3's atleast.(excluding the final boss who was another easy guest appearance by andross XP) I don't hate the new DKC's and infac DKCR is probably my third favorite wii game.(right after the super mario galaxies) but think about it, wouldn't it be awkward to have a mario with no koopas or goombas? or a megaman classic series game with no mets or sniper joe variants? good iconic villians and enemies are just as important to a series as the protagonist themselves IMO.

Last edited:

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
But... Mario always fights the same bad guys over and over. And the Kremlings mixed things up greatly from game to game in the original DKC trilogy, so I honestly hate this argument.

Not that lack of Kremlings makes the new games bad. But saying that having the same enemies would be boring, but its fine when other games do it (and the Kremlings always vary from game to game) is quite silly.
I never said it was fine when Mario did it either? Besides, Mario is weird when it comes to this. While you're still ultimately fighting Bowser the Mario games always introduce plenty of new enemies and concepts (the 3D ones at least, NSMB is really bad when it comes to this) to keep things interesting. Now, I'm not saying the Kremlings can't do this either, and I do appreciate the extra steps Rare took to make them vary from game to game, but if they're gonna change stuff up anyway then why not take it a step further and just make new baddies? It keeps things interesting for DK and the crew. I'm hoping the Mario series mixes up their bad guys too one day.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I never said it was fine when Mario did it either? Besides, Mario is weird when it comes to this. While you're still ultimately fighting Bowser the Mario games always introduce plenty of new enemies and concepts (the 3D ones at least, NSMB is really bad when it comes to this) to keep things interesting. Now, I'm not saying the Kremlings can't do this either, and I do appreciate the extra steps Rare took to make them vary from game to game, but if they're gonna change stuff up anyway then why not take it a step further and just make new baddies? It keeps things interesting for DK and the crew. I'm hoping the Mario series mixes up their bad guys too one day.
They can make new baddies with them still being Kremlings. Like with the pirates in DKC2.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Hey, fellow Kutthroats!

I have to announce two things!
The first thing is, I wrote a tutorial on how I make my drawings! (I chose K. Rool as the example!)
If someone on here wants to know more about the way I draw, check it out!... It's fun!... A little bit!... I hope...

The second thing:
You remember my K. Rool drawings, right? Well... it isn't over yet! :troll:

Now, what could THIS be?

Last edited:

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
The Tikis were awful, but the Snowmads weren't bad. They just weren't the Kremlings. It would cool to see them in a future DK game alongside the Kremlings. The Snomad bosses were also pretty well designed. Maybe the Snomads could be appear in an ice based area of the next DK game.

The Kremlings should return, but the Snomads are fine. Now, Lord Fredrik can just go away. Didn't like him at all.

Last edited:

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Fighting the same group of enemies as well as the same final boss gets boring. The Snowmads were handled fantastically in Tropical Freeze and as long as Retro keeps doing new groups of enemies in future DK games I don't think we need Kremlings.

StormC

Smash Hero
So you don't like fighting Goombas and Koopas and Bowser in every Mario game?

I don't understand why you're in a Kremling thread criticizing Kremlings.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

He's going to be in though I mean me and about every smasher out there wants him. Also, we need more heavyweights and villains and more dk characters. I have a feeling both him and dixie will be dlc sooner or later
I hope he has fast fall speed like Ganon and not like DK.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Hey, fellow Kutthroats!

The first thing is, I wrote a tutorial on how I make my drawings! (I chose K. Rool as the example!)
If someone on here wants to know more about the way I draw, check it out!... It's fun!... A little bit!... I hope...

The second thing:
You remember my K. Rool drawings, right? Well... it isn't ogre yet! :troll:

Now, what could THIS be?
A scarf? A cave man costum? A reference to the villain in DK jungle beat? I don't know. But I think that we can all agree that it's going to be a magnificient K.Rool alt.

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
They can make new baddies with them still being Kremlings. Like with the pirates in DKC2.
or, to give a mario comparison.. like the several koopa, shyguy, goomba(ok, admittedly these ones barely change) variants that have come and gone throughout the years. even the games where bowser isn't the primary antagonist(like most of the rpg games for example) still used classic enemy types WHILE introducing completely new critters.

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
It would most likely resemble his walking animation during his DK64 battle. It would be rather slow and goofy, but then his running animation would resemble his DKC1 animation and could be frighteningly fast.

StormC

Smash Hero
Arbitrary change for the sake of it is rarely good.

Imagine a Batman adaptation where the creators said "does the Joker really need to come back?" When franchises get updated or reimagined, it's rarely a good idea to discard major characters just because. DKC doesn't live or die by the Kremlings, but to say we don't need them to come back is simply just you projecting your own indifference/dislike onto them.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Hey, fellow Kutthroats!

The second thing:

Now, what could THIS be?
A Pilot K. Rool costume, perhaps?

The Tikis were awful, but the Snowmads weren't bad. They just weren't the Kremlings. It would cool to see them in a future DK game alongside the Kremlings. The Snomad bosses were also pretty well designed. Maybe the Snomads could be appear in an ice based area of the next DK game.

The Kremlings should return, but the Snomads are fine. Now, Lord Fredrik can just go away. Didn't like him at all.
Snowmads were, I thought, about as good as you can make a new DK enemy group without bringing back Kremlings. Granted, a lot of their charm came from aping the Kremlings in various regards, like making hilarious defeat noises and being seafaring animal invaders, not to mention everything about Fredrik. That being said, I like the diversity in arctic species among their ranks, as well as their theme (why wasn't it in Smash again?). I just hope Retro doesn't decide to take yet another crack at making their own enemies. Let those creative juices flow in bringing about new Kremling species instead.

It's not quite bringing sexy back but I'm getting there. My first more or less complete panel.
(Makes you wonder if it's even gonna be worth it. The long-*** time I've spent on it. Perfectionism in full force.)
Absolutely this is gonna be worth it, this looks awesome! Can't wait to see him in motion.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Hey, fellow Kutthroats!

The second thing:

Now, what could THIS be?
The only two outfits K. Rool has had in the past (that you haven't covered) are Diddy Kong Pilot & Mario Super Sluggers. But neither match you teaser, so I don't know.

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
The only two outfits K. Rool has had in the past (that you haven't covered) are Diddy Kong Pilot & Mario Super Sluggers. But neither match you teaser, so I don't know.
Looks like a scarf to me. Perhaps a flying ace would wear it.

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely this is gonna be worth it, this looks awesome! Can't wait to see him in motion.
Thanks, man! I should be done in the next day or so. Most of the colouring is done on the body for each panel (I'll need to tweak as I go because it's inconsistent. Like, obviously so the flow's a bit off) and I'm working on the cape as I go.

Point is I'll be finished in a bit. (I'm not gonna say "soon" on an official capacity because that word seems to hate me.)
It's 6:30am UK time and I'm about ready to pass out...so, g'night, all! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom