• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Here is something I want to ask K. Rool fans. What made you a fan of K. Rool or want him for Smash? When did you start becoming a fan of K. Rool?
I became a fan with DK64. The cutscenes brought out his personality in that game and it was fun watching him behind the scenes interacting with his minions and checking up on the progress of the kongs. Similarly, while the boss battle was a bit lengthy, it also made him very likeable to me as he was a tough foe that was boisterous and could be silly, and I enjoyed seeing that in a villain. So he ended up leaving an impression on me that would last ever since I finished that game and he's probably been one of my favorite childhood villains as a result.

In terms of Smash, that love for the character ended up carrying over to speculation and I've wanted to see him ever since I started to participate in the Smash forums. While it was disappointing to not see him in the main game, I'm glad that DLC leaves open an option for him to be playable and hopefully that will be the venue that finally gets him into the Smash series.

Last edited:

The Quarter Master

Smash Apprentice
If K.Rool ever happens, I wonder what his official pose will be. Probably a reverse stance of DK and Diddy's, slightly similar to his trophy. If K.Rool makes it this time, there literally won't be an excuse for him to not appear in 5mash, because the data for him will have already been written.

Also, at this point, I'm starting to think 5mash will have way more second and third-party characters. We'll probably see Rayman if he doesn't come in now, Tails and Knuckles (will handle similar to Sonic, but with several, unique differences), Klonoa, Protoman (and maybe Bass), and Bomberman.

5mash will mark a new age of gaming, uniting many different universes. At this rate, any kind of game war will be OVER. At least, on Nintendo's side of things.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I was first exposed to K. Rool and gaming in general with DK64. Didn't own a N64 myself, but my best friend's older brother had one. He had Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64 and of course DK64. I only remember playing DK64. I remember the cut scenes with K. Rool and jumping around DK Island as Donkey Kong. Me and my friend were really bad at it. As time went on, I got into more games, namely Pokemon. It must of been the way K. Rool was presented that made him stick out. He was insane and was much more drastic than Bowser or Team Rocket.

As far as Smash goes, I wanted him since I started playing Brawl. It was that moment when I saw Bowser stealing the bananas. I thought "wait a second, that's supposed to be the crocodile guy". I didn't know that he had a massive fanbase until I looked him up online. I ended up joining Smashboards in May 2013 and have been here since. It mostly comes down to nostalgia, love of the character and moveset potential for me.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
This support thread is the very reason I became a Kremling Kutt-throat in the first place. Up until that point, I only finished the original DKC some years earlier, and beforehand only knew of King K. Rool through a Smash Brothers trophy. I never thought too much of him back then, since I paid more attention to the amazing level design and especially soul-enduring soundtrack.

When I signed up for Smashboards a year and a half ago, I was introduced to one of the biggest support threads on the website, so I checked it out. Since the OP was constructed in terms of accessible readability, I became well-acquainted with not only K. Rool's overall significance and move-set/play-style potentiality, but also of the Donkey Kong franchise. Ever since then, I've grown to appreciate what a diabolical madly-driven villain he really is, and now he remains my most-wanted newcomer.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Here is something I want to ask K. Rool fans. What made you a fan of K. Rool or want him for Smash? When did you start becoming a fan of K. Rool?
DKC2, and DKC3. DKC2 still gives me nostalgia to this day with it's soundtrack and visuals, it got me over any bad mood I had with some fun ol' Jib Jig. I then reached the final boss, Kaptain K. Rool, and holy hell, I was never able to beat him at the time. The fight simply was too long for me to be able to endure. But I remember Crocodile Cacophany, and how much it intimidated me. Then DKC3 came along. Keep in mind, these are GBA versions, so this game had David Wise's soundtrack. Anyhow, not important. I remember beating Baron K. Roolenstein over and over. He was challenging, but not too much so. Anyhow, I enjoyed those two bosses very much, but never really picked up on their names. Skip to Jungle Climber, which I had played. I actually thoroughly enjoyed it. K. Rool wasn't all that special in that game, but he was still a nice villain. I owe it to that game for refreshing my memory on who he is exactly, though. If it hadn't been for that game, K. Rool would have been washed to the back of my mind for all eternity. And... That's how I became a fan of K. Rool :p

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
While we are still talking about the original DKC trilogy, I'd like to say this: I did like the original DKC game and DKC2. They were both fun, though Donkey Kong Country 2 was better, in my opinion. However, I'd have to say that Donkey Kong Country 3 was the best game in the original trilogy for me. The music was just so atmospheric and ambient, and when the music played in the levels or world maps, it gave me this overall unique feel to me when I played the levels and boss levels, a feel that is kind of difficult to describe. I also liked the Brother Bears, but how atmospheric and ambient this game felt when I played really made me like the game.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I wanted him in since before brawl. I think every franchise needs it villian and to be honest the roster just doesnt feel right without the bowser/dedede/ganondorf to DK's mario/kirby/link. That and he's a big freaking crocodile with lots of gadgets!

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
DKC3 is one of the most underrated games of all time, if you ask me. Seriously, it's amazing. I think DKC2 still has that special something that makes it my favorite, but DKC3, in addition to being a game starring a competent female protagonist that wasn't Samus, and was just an amazingly atmospheric game.

The only thing it was missing was a David Wise soundtrack, even though Eveline Fischer's was nothing to sneeze at. And then it got a David Wise soundtrack with the GBA version.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
DKC3 i found to be rather lackluster. like, it wasn't bad at all and was still a great platformer in my oppinion but it felt rather... bland compared to DKC and DKC2.(i also didn't find k.roolenstein anywhere near as epic as the kaptain or king fights) Admitedly the mostly bland and overtly mellow soundtrack of the SNES version didn't help things for me especially when coming off of DKC2's amazing soundtrack.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Since the very beginning. I've always loved reptiles, and I thought the Kremlings were cool, unique villains that had a lot of personality. Unlike Goombas and Koopas, the Kremlings looked intimidating and edgy. I managed to beat K. Rool all by myself when I was only 6 years-old, though admittedly my love for the character reached its pivotal moment following the release of the DKC cartoon. It was very popular in Canada, so I watched it on Teletoon every afternoon. K. Rool was charming... and sophisticated... and my favorite character on the show. I was hooked. And even though the animation hasn't aged too well, I still enjoy watching it.

A few years later, Donkey Kong 64 was released, and I have vivid memories of receiving it as a gift from my late grandmother. I adored the game, and still do, but I'd be lying if I said it was perfect. However, they managed to nail K. Rool's personality 100% accurately. He was both frightening and a source of comic relief; my ideal villain. When Super Smash Bros. Melee came along, I remember unlocking K. Rool's trophy and immediately wishing that he was a playable character instead. After all, they added Bowser to the roster. Where on earth was DK's arch-nemesis? If he's enough of a bumbler to have gained a few fans over the years, shouldn't that be worth something? Here we are 14 years later and K. Rool is nowhere to be seen, yet "fan favorites" like Dark Pit and Lucina are more prevelant than ever. This has turned into a literal war for me, and I will not rest until this injustice has been rectified.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Excellent!!! Those are amazing! I especially like black coat Baron. If I were in charge of the colors, that's how I would go. I would personally not change his skin color, just the color of his clothes. I feel that the character becomes less recognizable when he's anything but varying shades of green.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of that moveset followup.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm the total opposite, I like alts that really mix up canon colors. I was disappointed that all of Palutena's alts kept her green hair.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Excellent!!! Those are amazing! I especially like black coat Baron. If I were in charge of the colors, that's how I would go. I would personally not change his skin color, just the color of his clothes. I feel that the character becomes less recognizable when he's anything but varying shades of green.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of that moveset followup.
I think it depends. Personally, in addition to his usual costumes, I'd really like to see variants based on Klump, Krusha, and perhaps even Lord Frederik. And for these he'd take on their actual color schemes. Otherwise, K. Rool's normal costumes would work better as just costumes with his skin not changed.

I'm the total opposite, I like alts that really mix up canon colors. I was disappointed that all of Palutena's alts kept her green hair.
Eh, most human(oid) characters in Smash always keep their canon hair for most variants. There are few exceptions, such as Robin (canonically Robin's hair color can be whatever you make it out to be) and Lucina (her alts are based on the first generation females from Awakening). Other characters may have one or two recolors with different hair colors, but that's about it. For the human(oid) characters, they typically focus on clothing recolors instead of body.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, but Palutena's most prominent physical trait is her hair, so I feel like it makes more sense with her than most humanoids.

I was expecting at least a couple alts with different hair, I mean, even Ganondorf got his hair changed.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, but Palutena's most prominent physical trait is her hair, so I feel like it makes more sense with her than most humanoids.

I was expecting at least a couple alts with different hair, I mean, even Ganondorf got his hair changed.
They really missed an opportunity for say, a blonde Viridi one, Dark/Purple Medusa one and Blue Pandora hair recolor. Disappoint.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
My love for K. Rool started way back in 1994 I was 8 (yea I'm old) and my mom had bought me DKC for my SNES on Christmas and I was SUPER excited to play. She always loved Donkey Kong arcade when she was younger so she was excited to play too. We both played it together everyday for weeks. Eventually we finally reached Gangplank Galleon and my mom got excited to see the final boss on a pirate ship because she likes pirates ha ha. When we saw King K. Rool the first time we laughed because of his big fat body and those crazy eyes but when he yelled out that loud AUUUWWHH when you jumped on his head we thought it was hilarious. Every DK game that followed I'd get for Christmas and we would play together all the time. Liking pirates as much as she does she loved Kaptain K. Rool. Essentially he brings back a lot of good memories for me it's like a nostalgia trip when I see him. As I grew up playing DK I came to live him as a bad guy he just has so much personality dressing up in different outfits and such. DK64 is what sealed him as my all time favorite Nintendo villain his entire shtick in that game was hilarious.

Ascetically I like him aswell, if you couldn't tell I'm a big Yoshi fan I tend to like characters that are reptilian or dinosaur like I have ever since I was a kid I always loved dinosaurs and dragons. K. Rool just looks awesome he's a big imposing crocodile. I wanted him in Smash since N64 and hoped he'd get in every iteration of the game. This seems like his best chance and I intend on pushing K. Rool from now till September. He's the only other character i REALY want in Smash aside from Banjo. If K. Rool gets in Link who's been my secondary since 64 will finally slide down to 3rd, it will be a sad yet joyous day.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
I went to my local library and I saw a VHS of a weird looking DK cartoon. It was about a golden banana and a coconut cristal. At first, I tought it was a Indiana Jones parodie. I found that it looked hilarious and pick it up. Then I saw K.Rool, who just fited my criteria for good villain. Also, I was perturbed to hear DK with such a non-gorilla voice.

Then, each time that I could, I watched more episode of this weird TV show, including the movie.

Years after, while I was looking for chance of my most wanted character to be in Smash 4 (Bowser Jr.) I found this site, with a thread for him, as well as the infamous, but awesome looking, Ridley and the delightful crocodile that I remembered from the silly, but lovable cartoon. So, this is how that I began to support the king.

Last edited:
The Donkey Kong Country series were one of the first few games I ever played. Had great memories playing them, specifically the DKC3 Lost World. Rare's midas touch extended to the enemies and K. Rool, he was unstable, witty, always a schemer and had a bit of a humour which was a good mix and which stood out. Haven't played any of the Cube or handheld DK games, but K. Rool still stuck with me and I never forgot who he was.

DK64 really brought it up a notch in terms of seeing what goes through his head and only endeared the character and his wackiness to me.

Didn't really think about K. Rool getting into Smash till Brawl came along. DK being my fav. series, very happy with Diddy getting in but couldn't help but think something was missing.

In short: He has buckets of personality, is wacky and out there, nostalgic reasons and has potential for a great moveset which is why I'm a Kuthroat.

DKC 3 is my personal fave of the series, but for me DKC2 is the more complete game, I can't think of an obvious reason on how to improve DKC2, it was that good.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I really wanted King K.Rool ever since Melee I think, but the absence of Diddy from that game made me focus on his inclusion first and foremost. During Brawl's speculation era, I was a big fan of King K.Rool as well, but didn't became so vocal for him because Diddy needed the support more at that time (I felt). There was also this pre-Brawl stigma of "reps vs reps" and some K.Rool supporters claimed that he'd be a much better character for Brawl than Diddy, which made me rally for Diddy even more. After Diddy was confirmed, I pretty much played it 'safe' with K.Rool, as I didn't think he was going to happen but supported him regardless.

I think the very first moment I became serious for his support would be when I unlocked the K.Rool throphy in Melee and it got me thinking ; 'Damn, this is how K.Rool could look in Smash?'. And I was pretty much sold. DK64 was still fresh on my mind after all, but Diddy was always my first priority. Hence username and such. Hoo Hah! :4diddy:

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Back in the Melee days, I wasn't that much interested in neither Smash nor the Donkey Kong series.
But then when Brawl got released, I fell in love with :dedede:, :bowser2:, :ganondorf:and :dk2:, the big and heavy hitting heavy weights were my favorites. This hasn't changed to this day, my favorites still are: :4dedede:,:4bowser:,:4ganondorf: and :4dk:.
I like also :4bowserjr:, :4wario2: and :4mewtwo: a lot, they are simillar but not the same. (There are, of course, also others that I like, they are just my favorites.)

In Donkey Kong I got interested when Donkey Kong Country Returns got released.
It is, as a matter of fact, my favorite Wii game, the same applies to Tropical Freeze, it's my favorite Wii U game (so far).

First interested in K. Rool I got with Super Sluggers. (Yes, it's true.)
In this game he was one of the most powerful characters and I LOVED him.

After all that, I googled a lot, watched a lot of videos about the older Donkey Kong games and I started to love him for more than just his strong Baseball abilities. :troll:

And now days, K. Rool is my most wanted character for Smash, I want him in a Donkey Kong game again and, the most important part, I am One of You... I am a Kutthroat!

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
It's interesting that a lot of people knew and liked k. rool through the t.v. show instead of the game here. I was expecting the exact opposite

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
How did I be a fan of K Rool?
My elder brother played the GBA versions of DKC, I was quite young then. While I did watch his gameplay, now I don't remember that much(fyi when I did play DKC, I played the SNES version, don't worry...)
But there was one thing that was really, really memorable to me, it was in DKC2. My brother went to K Rool keep, OK ominous music, doesn't scare me, but what happens next in that level. Donkey Kong being tied up, out of reach from Diddy Kong, helpless. I don't know about you, but having grown up with candyland everything-is-fine games like Mario, this part scared the living **** out of me as a kid. It's an experience that will forever be etched in my brain. This was the stuff of nightmares to me.

And then, going to the flying Kroc, and what do you see? K Rool beating the living **** out of DK, still tied up. This was another memorable part of the game for me, and by association, the whole boss fight was. Which made it all the more triumphant and relieving when my brother finally beat him. Of course, the real success was when I myself had to go through what my brother did, in the SNES version, seeing DK tied up, and then beating K Rool again. This just made the K Rool fight just all more rewarding to me when I finally beat that gruesome battle, I had conquered what I feared as a child. Quite hilarious in the sense that I was frightened by something as silly as cartoon gorillas, but that just holds as a testimony as to the great atmosphere of the DKC series.

Of course, K Rool was a pretty memorable character to me from then, including his DKC3 iteration. Even though I hadn't played DKC by the time I checked out Smash 4 speculation, I still supported him. Eventually this thread and the recent release of DKC on SNES led to me finally being the games. And for that, I am grateful. K Rool is one of the only villains in video games whose actions actually seemed villainous to me, y'know? After that whole experience, no other big baddy character ever comes close to ole K Rool.

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012
I always liked K. Rool probably since the first game I played with him in DKC but just didn't know it. It hit me around the DK64 game how much I really like K. Rool as a character. I never thought of him being added in smash until I realized how much of a great asset he'd be since joining the kutthroats. Yeah there were times even when I though K. Rool should be the one stealing the banana's as well in subspace emissary during Brawl era. before joining the Kutthroats I'd always try to make a viable team in sluggers with K. Rool always being shoehorned. I loved using him along with funky in that game. It just never triggered how much I wanted him in smash for odd reasons. This community really opened up my desire for him to be in smash. Now I want him primarily as a playable character before anyone else not because of "reps" such as dk rep or villan rep. It's simply because he's a very well deserved character on his own right.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
For me, I found Donkey Kong Country for SNES when I was about 5 or 6. I never got far, but I had a friend who beat it and I saw K. Rool as the final boss and thought he was pretty cool, but didn't think much of him. Then, when I was about 7, I got Donkey Kong 64, and loved it. King K. Rool was one of my favorite parts about the game. His cutscenes were always fun to watch, and his final battle was a lot of fun for me.
For his Smash inclusion, after Melee first came out, I was really happy with getting some of the characters we got, but I was also thinking about what characters they could've put in, and I thought King K. Rool would work pretty well, and I've always thought that since.

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
I am actually a very recent K. Rool fan. My first experience with him was in King of Swing actually. The game was fun, but I never really saw the hype with K. Rool. Then 2014 came along and I became interested in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. My interest made me wonder if the original DKC trilogy was on the EShop, but it was not. I waited but gave up hope and got the original three via emulators. Instantly became a fan of the series. Felt kinda bad when they finally came to the Wii U, so I bought DKC2 because it had my favorite boss battles. I also just watched videos of all of his battles in the DKL games. Turns out K. Rool has even more moveset potential than he already did with the DKC games.

Now I am as much of a K. Rool fan as I am a Ridley fan (I also became a big Metroid fan in a short time as well, but that's another story).

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
DKC1 was the first videogame I ever owned, back when little me became a gamer at the age of 5.
It was K.Rool who was the first villain I defeated. Not Bowser. Not Ganon.

This just cemented him into my mind forever as one of the greatest. His theme, the Gangplank galleon, was so amazing that I redid the Boss fight over and over again, just to listen to it. sometimes I paused the game just to listen to it.

The way he sucker punched me after the fake credits roll was another amazing thing.

However this all pales in comparison with the long, endurance test that are the boss battles from DKC2 and DK64.
I loved those to death! They were way more creative than any Bowser boss fight up to this point.

It's kinda hard to not just sound like a drooling fanboy here, but K.Rool and the DKC games are a pretty big part of my childhood...

StormC

Smash Hero
As far as wanting the character in Smash, I was mostly concerned with Diddy in Brawl and didn't really think that K. Rool was a necessity at the time (but obviously I would have loved to have him). With 4 he was always my most wanted character but it felt more like a pipe dream than anything until DLC was announced and it seemed like the way for him was paved.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
The JWittz just uploaded a Top 10 Smash DLC video, and K. Rool was his number 3 most wanted. Another big YouTuber supports K. Rool.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The JWittz just uploaded a Top 10 Smash DLC video, and K. Rool was his number 3 most wanted. Another big YouTuber supports K. Rool.

Technically it's his first Nintendo choice! A Belmont and Shovel Knight are unlikely because of...things. He makes alot of great points about K. Rool too. "Just can't beat the classics!" :shades:

Top Bottom