• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Does the series actually really warrant K.Rool being considered relevant though? But speaking off, since the show is made in France (they had a ****ing TV series called DIDDY COOL there... I ****ted my ****ing pants when I was a young boy and saw that!) and thus is popular already in Europe and even Japan, and now also in the US, this does seem to imply DKC is loved everywhere.
Of course it counts as him being relevant! Pac-Man has a new TV show, so he's relevant! Palutena is in those Uprising anime shorts, so she's relevant! Genosect is starring in that new Mewtwo movie, so he's relevant! It's safe to say that, because of the DKC cartoon, K. Rool is now a shoo-in.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Huh, so now K. Rool's in the same boat as Ridley in a way?

Is the series "Diddy Cool" actually about Diddy Kong? :confused:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy was a sort of presentaror of that series. It was mostly just a regular cartoon sender, with the DKC cartoon included.

I mean i like Diddy too im alotta people like him but why do you love him as much as you do? ( He was so sick in DK64)
Why I love Diddy is cause he's the first Nintendo character I actually gave a **** about :laugh: DKL = my first game. And I always played Diddy. Same with DKC, DKC2, and Diddy Kong Racing. And whenever I wanted to play DK64 free style, I used Diddy. :diddy: Needless to say, I played most games in my youth as Diddy, and he was my most wanted character for Brawl, and he's still my main. Got so many reasons why I like Diddy, don't even know where to start :laugh:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
How much is the series and should I try it? (The DVD series); I'm curious if it's actually decent. I might go for it. I actually got DKC Returns but I'm waiting for my best net friend to come over later this summer... It's so tempting you guys have no idea.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
How much is the series and should I try it? (The DVD series); I'm curious if it's actually decent. I might go for it. I actually got DKC Returns but I'm waiting for my best net friend to come over later this summer... It's so tempting you guys have no idea.
I have only seen one episode. I got to see king k rool break out in song to donkey kong.

it's 110% worth it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Funky has a Jamaican accent and the rest of the Kongs look like ducks. Make up if you wanna watch it or not.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
In my honest opinion, it's pretty average Saturday morning fair (ie, bad). You might get a kick out of the hammy voice acting and constant singing, but it's not a story-telling masterpiece, and if you go in expecting a ton of DKC fanservice, you'll be a bit disappointed (though I must admit it stays more true to the games than other lazy video game adaptations). The writing is the same sort of thing you'd expect from The Super Mario Bros. Super Show or Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. It really depends on the pricing. It's definitely a good laugh for a few bucks, but I'd start to question purchasing it after the $10-15 point. That's just my opinion of course.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lord Harry was so-so. Can't say I think it was bad, can't say I think it was super awesome.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Just started playing DKC- found a website full of retro games that don't require downloading anything. I have to say that it is even better than I was expecting. As it's retro, I thought it would have much worse graphics, and the gameplay, though simple, is much smoother than almost any other platformer I've played. I can see why everyone loves it so much.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm gonna be frank and probably be disagreed upon but I thought the DKC platformers were more "okay" than anything. They were nice, but not even some of the best stuff Rare's made. I'm realllllly trying to hold off from playing Returns though until my friend comes.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Just started playing DKC- found a website full of retro games that don't require downloading anything. I have to say that it is even better than I was expecting. As it's retro, I thought it would have much worse graphics, and the gameplay, though simple, is much smoother than almost any other platformer I've played. I can see why everyone loves it so much.
that reminds me, I was going to send you a website that has snes games as flash, since you wanted to play the games, but I guess you found it. :D
I'm gonna be frank and probably be disagreed upon but I thought the DKC platformers were more "okay" than anything. They were nice, but not even some of the best stuff Rare's made. I'm realllllly trying to hold off from playing Returns though until my friend comes.
When was the last time you played it? also, if you like 3D platformers better, that's understandable why you don't like the DKCs as much.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Diddy was a sort of presentaror of that series. It was mostly just a regular cartoon sender, with the DKC cartoon included.
Oh, okay. I hope that's included in the DVD then. Couldn't find anything about it when I googled and youtubed it.

BridgesWithTurtles' post more or less sums the show up, if you want a more unbiased opinion. I enjoyed the show back then though for what it was, and even as a kid I recognized how silly it was in nature compared to the games and stuff. Guilty pleasure I suppose. I guess watch an episode or some footage of it on youtube before making a decision on the purchase, and be prepared for some wacky outdated computer animation.

Funky has a Jamaican accent and the rest of the Kongs look like ducks. Make up if you wanna watch it or not.
The Jamaican accent I didn't mind since it seemed pretty true to his character, but I didn't like how they got his fur color all wrong. Understandable though if they did it to make him look more different from Donkey Kong, but.. I just didn't like the color choice they had for him.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I meant the Jamaican Funky as a postive thing. The 'all Kongs look like ducks' thing was the negative part. YIN YANG MY MAN!

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
that reminds me, I was going to send you a website that has snes games as flash, since you wanted to play the games, but I guess you found it. :D
When was the last time you played it? also, if you like 3D platformers better, that's understandable.
I actually played it less than a year ago when recording for a Let's Play. We were trying to 100% it at first and it was a Co-Op LP so I did have to practice on my own. Granted 2 and 3 are better. (I did try out some of that stuff as well)

3D vs 2D is an argument I've gone into a bunch of times but honestly it's really hard to say. I guess I like 3D more with my love of Bandicoot, Croc, and Super Mario Sunshine, but I still enjoy my 2D stuff.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I meant the Jamaican Funky as a postive thing. The 'all Kongs look like ducks' thing was the negative part. YIN YANG MY MAN!
I know that's what you meant, but I was just giving my own input about Funky in the show since you brought him up.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I actually played it less than a year ago when recording for a Let's Play. We were trying to 100% it at first and it was a Co-Op LP so I did have to practice on my own. Granted 2 and 3 are better. (I did try out some of that stuff as well)

3D vs 2D is an argument I've gone into a bunch of times but honestly it's really hard to say. I guess I like 3D more with my love of Bandicoot, Croc, and Super Mario Sunshine, but I still enjoy my 2D stuff.
yeah, 2 is defiantly the best DKC, including the new one. my parents grew me up 2 generations behind console-wise, so I got to have childhood memories of SNES games, making my opinion slightly biased towards 2D platformers.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Know what's awesome about DKC2, throwing the other Kong is just as strong as an attack as if DK jumped on an enemy. So in the end, you don't even miss a heavy weight in your team. Diddy & Dixie = best tag team in DKC.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I dunno I mean these days 3D platformers and 2D hold such little the same in gameplay that it's really hard for me to like one over the other. For every good one for one, I can name something good on the other.

As I said, still resisting returns. I'm going to kick myself if that 10% improbability happens to me.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Know what's awesome about DKC2, throwing the other Kong is just as strong as an attack as if DK jumped on an enemy. So in the end, you don't even miss a heavy weight in your team. Diddy & Dixie = best tag team in DKC.
I love DKC2, but getting rid of the the big ape? There's no excuse. I'm still pissed on that, seeing as I always go for DK. Not even pirate crocodiles makes up for it.
And then they get rid of Diddy in DKC3? It's like Rare doesn't want me to play.
As I said, still resisting returns. I'm going to kick myself if that 10% improbability happens to me.
Don't resist, just play. It's the second best 2D platformer of the generation, and quite frankly I thought it was slightly better than DKC2, which is the best of the original trilogy. The level design is too good. World 5-7 (and 8 if you don't get frustrated) are straight up top tier platforming. I'm playing it on the 3DS right now, and while 30fps sorta hurts compared to the 60fps Wii version, I'm constantly reminded why this game is far too good for its own good.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Makes me wonder what you'd complain about if Rare actually made a DKC4 for SNES back in the days, and it had DK and Kiddy playable. :smirk: OH NOES NO DIXIE! NO DIDDY! RARE WHY YOU HATE ME SO MUCH? DKC2 MASTERRACE! :rolleyes:

As for the no excuse part, Rare probably wanted to establish Diddy and Dixie as characters into the franchise. And they did well regarding this. I don't mind not being able to play as DK. DKC2 is still best game ever to me. Mostly BECAUSE it had Diddy as the main character and not DK.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Just on the virtue of DK being in, then I won't lie, I'd play. But at the end, the level design, platforming, physics and controls will be my measurements to judge the game rather than the character I'm playing as. There's a reason why DKC2 is my favorite of the original trilogy despite not being able to play as one of my favorite Nintendo characters, it's just a better a game than the other two. Well, I'm also big on pirates, so perhaps I'm slightly biased.
I also don't like DK64.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Don't resist, just play. It's the second best 2D platformer of the generation, and quite frankly I thought it was slightly better than DKC2, which is the best of the original trilogy. The level design is too good. World 5-7 (and 8 if you don't get frustrated) are straight up top tier platforming. I'm playing it on the 3DS right now, and while 30fps sorta hurts compared to the 60fps Wii version, I'm constantly reminded why this game is far too good for its own good.
I'm not resisting for any particular reason (asides from a massive backlog). I'm trying not to play it until July because I have a friend that might be crashing over at my house for a month so I want to 100% it with him - Especially since he only completed it and didn't 100% it like 2 years ago

I want to get the 3DS version but I'm hoping on price drop. So many 3DS games already.

Also what would you say is the first best 2D Platformer then? I'm gonna say Rayman Origins here.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'm not resisting for any particular reason (asides from a massive backlog). I'm trying not to play it until July because I have a friend that might be crashing over at my house for a month so I want to 100% it with him - Especially since he only completed it and didn't 100% it like 2 years ago

I want to get the 3DS version but I'm hoping on price drop. So many 3DS games already.
Must have missed that, then. Sorry about that.

I'm just gonna warn you that DKCR multiplayer makes you lose friends.

Also what would you say is the first best 2D Platformer then? I'm gonna say Rayman Origins here.
Nope. I like Rayman Origins, but my answer would be what is essentially the anti-Rayman Origins, New Super Mario Bros Wii U.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Would've been wicked if Rare (OLD Rare) could make a new DKC platformer game with DK, Diddy, Dixie and Kiddy in it. Or maybe even swap Kiddy for Lanky. Since everybody hates Kiddy. Actually, he could be the new Kong. Seeing as Tiny went through monkey puberty, Kiddy surely shouldn't be a toddler either by now?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Getting rid of DK in DKC2 always seemed incredibly odd to me. There's a reason that upcoming New Super Luigi U thing is advertised as a Luigi thing rather than a Mario game. They really should have called it Diddy Kong Country or something like that. The only other time the damsel (ape) in distress has got his/her name on the cover of a game that I can think of is LoZ, which of course led to the infamous confusion where people would think that Link was Zelda.

Also, on the whole "best 2D platformer of this generation" discussion, I was very let down by Rayman Origins, probably because I was expecting a game like the first Rayman, which was harder and not as fast paced, something a little less like Sonic. My vote goes to Kirby: Return to Dreamland, which is the absolute best Kirby game imo.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Must have missed that, then. Sorry about that.

I'm just gonna warn you that DKCR multiplayer makes you lose friends.
100% will make me and said friend kill each other

Nope. I like Rayman Origins, but my answer would be what is essentially the anti-Rayman Origins, New Super Mario Bros Wii U.
NSMBU is 8th gen. Origins and DKCR are 7th gen

Though Origins or Return to Dreamland is probably the best.

DKCR already has that beat IMO, you will definitely enjoy it when you get around to playing it.
Can't wait then.

Would've been wicked if Rare (OLD Rare) could make a new DKC platformer game with DK, Diddy, Dixie and Kiddy in it. Or maybe even swap Kiddy for Lanky. Since everybody hates Kiddy. Actually, he could be the new Kong. Seeing as Tiny went through monkey puberty, Kiddy surely shouldn't be a toddler either by now?
Rare still makes games broski, it's just that they don't have the art department as high due to a scandal anymore, and Retro did a better job with aesthetics than they do on most of their games

Am agreeing here though. Origins/Return to Dreamland/The console NSMB games are awesome

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Never played Returns to Dreamland. I however seen the final boss battle of it only, but voiced over with an extra dramatic touch :laugh: It was awesome.

I specifically said Old Rare cause a lot of the old staff members from Rare who made the good games are gone now. The Stamper brothers for example. And David Wise.

Also, speaking of the cartoon, the models where apperantly based of this commercial:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Really? That explains a lot then. lol

But yeah, it's a shame there wasn't ever a DKC4. Didn't help either that DKC3 came out around the time the N64 and stuff was new.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Wait. They're releasing a DKC DVD? They haven't forgotten! The Kremlings are still around! My life has meaning! Is...is that a bit much?

Anyway...

Edit: At the very least this confirms that there's no elaborate Nintendo plot to snub the Kremlings from existence, and now I'm far less concerned about any roadblocks for K. Rool.

It was a silly idea, anyway.

Edit 2: Krem...lectric...Kongaloo....yeah. Anyway.

Hey, check out which green slimy lizard is about to become relevant again...at least until someone decides he's not anymore.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Donkey-Kong-Country-He-Came-He-Saw-He-Kong-quered/18488

Actually looking at that, and even seeing the words "K. Rool and his band of Kremlings" on a yet-to-be-released project in 2013 just makes me **** my pants and reignites my DKC fanboy fire. Not that it ever went out. Take that, relevency people!

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
The Stamper Brothers didn't even do that much during Late-N64 (asides from be bossy as hell) to the Xbox and Rare still has plenty of talented people along with other people.

As I said, mostly the art staff scandal. Though I'm hoping Rare does make at least some good stuff soon. Come on Killer Instinct 3...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I wouldn't count on a KI3. Maybe a digital port of the first game at best, but nothing more.

Hmm, on a random note I remember one of the old Rare staff members' names in the DKC credits was Klobb which they made a weapon named after him in Goldeneye, and turned out to be one of the worst guns in gaming history. :laugh:

Top Bottom