• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Are they available in some way on the Wii?
They were....

But Rare forced Nintendo to take them down.

Try getting the GBA versions. They might be easier to find.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Huh, that's really strange. Unfortunately, that's the extent of technology I have to play games on. My computer right now is too screwed up to try anything with, and I'm not so flush with cash as to buy anything for the sake of one series.
If they come out on Wii U then I'll get them when I buy one of those.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Great games, and fantastic music. Aquatic Ambience is probably the most relaxing piece of gaming music ever composed. Great platformers too. Man do I miss Rareware and Nintendo making games together...

what a damn shame.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They were....

But Rare forced Nintendo to take them down.

Try getting the GBA versions. They might be easier to find.
Is there actually any proof Rare forced Nintendo? I mean, it definitely could have something to do with licensing and complicated legal nonsense, but according to Rare Nintendo owns all of DK64 (except Jetpac), so logically it would make sense than they own the three DKCs as well. I mean, it's quite possible you're right, but is there actually any source that says this?

...I hope somehow they show up again, at least on Wii U.

D

Deleted member

Is there actually any proof Rare forced Nintendo? I mean, it definitely could have something to do with licensing and complicated legal nonsense, but according to Rare Nintendo owns all of DK64 (except Jetpac), so logically it would make sense than they own the three DKCs as well. I mean, it's quite possible you're right, but is there actually any source that says this?

This. I was really disappointed to see the games being taken off. If it weren't for Earthbound's release on the Virtual Console, I would have zero desire to support the VC.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

It´s so weird they took them off considering the DKC triology already got GBA remakes years before the Wii VC even excisted.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
It´s so weird they took them off considering the DKC triology already got GBA remakes years before the Wii VC even excisted.
Think it has something to do with their complicated license. They're allowed to remake games because they have the license to the Donkey Kong name, but direct ports are not allowed because Rare owns the original games. This is why the DKC and Diddy Kong Racing games had remakes that were acceptable: they changed the names to include 'Advanced' and 'DS'. Thus, Rare can't do a thing.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Then why didn't they remake those three too, if they could keep them that way?
They did. For Gameboy Advance. Virtual Console is ported games only, and only from old libraries like NES, SNES and N64. I don't think handhelds have games on VC. I could be wrong, and if I am, then I have no idea why they didn't just port the remakes.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Nintendo owns the rights to all Donkey Kong-related media, but Rare is owed money (or a share of the profits) from games that they made for Nintendo (like all video game studios). There is probably a dispute over pay, especially since Rare is not the same company, and the people who actually made the game when they worked at Rare probably want a share of the pie, too (which is another reason why being a video game developer is a tough job).

And honestly at this point, I just wish Rare would die as a company. They've smeared their name in the mud, and they contribute nothing to video games anymore. Microsoft got a raw deal when they bought out Rare. They aren't worth half of what Microsoft paid to buy them out (anymore at least).

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
^ It takes balls to say something like that about Rare around here, but I agree. Seems even less likely that Microsoft would make more/better use of Rare on the mess that is the Xbox One than they did on the 360 anyway (any hope I had of them bringing back Killer Instinct or something pretty much died with my anticipation of the next Xbox).

More and more Retro is becoming Rare's successor anyway, and despite the certain dislikes there may have been with DKCR, it was still a great game, not that I'm condoning the lack of Kremlings or saying that's how it should be in the future.

But yeah, if what's left of Rare just finally died as a company, at least there would be no more tug-of-war over rights or anything to do with download versions of the DKCs or anything.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
or, if rare just somehow got back into the hands of nintendo, that would fix ALL PROBLEMS. but I heard that rare is bringing back one of their series to xbox one. I'm expecting perfect dark.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Since it's M$, that'll never happen. And there already was a Perfect Dark arcade game on the 360, and I heard it was Perfect Trash. :p Prefer Goldeneye anyway, which sadly would never happen as an arcade game due to rights.

Even if Rare were to bring back the legendary Killer Instinct, I'm not sure it would be worth putting up with all the crap you would have to on the Xbox One.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Even if Rare ended up back in Nintendo's lap, it still isn't the same Rare. A lot of the team that made those great games on the SNES and N64 have likely gone elsewhere. We would get the IP back but they would be better off handing them over to new companies.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Since it's M$, that'll never happen. And there already was a Perfect Dark arcade game on the 360, and I heard it was Perfect Trash. :p Prefer Goldeneye anyway.

Even if Rare were to bring back the legendary Killer Instinct, I'm not sure it would be worth putting up with all the crap you would have to on the Xbox One.
didn't the wiiU sales go up 800% after the Xbox one press conference? lol

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
I too agree about Rare. They really aren't making any decent games anymore. All they seem to do is screw with Nintendo when it comes to Donkey Kong. They'd be better gone as it is.:(

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
didn't the wiiU sales go up 800% after the Xbox one press conference? lol
Dunno, but I did hear Sony's stock went up like 10% after the Xbox One reveal. lol

Anyway, sorry about the off-topicness my fellow Kutthroats, but I had to get that stuff about Rare off my chest.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
There was discussion of this on DKVine the other day, and it seems wishing Rare would die out isn't that controversial, since all of its original members have left the company long ago. We've also seen that new members who potentially grew up during Rare's golden age are willing to step up and recreate (some of) what was loved about those games.

That said, I'd rather not have the shell of what was formerly Rare officially die, since that would cause even more lunatics to come out of the woodwork and claim K. Rool and the Kremlings are now dead forever without their owners. :troll:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh yeah, there is that. Hmm... Well since Rare's departure from Ninty didn't stop them from using K. Rool in the Paon games, would what's left of Rare dying stop Ninty from still using K. Rool/Kremlings in the future if they really wanted?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, there is that. Hmm... Well since Rare's departure from Ninty didn't stop them from using K. Rool in the Paon games, would what's left or Rare dying stop Ninty from still using K. Rool/Kremlings in the future if they really wanted?
If they dont...Ugh.....just so stupid beyond belief...thats all i can say...just thinking about that gave me a headache...real talk.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I just started DK64, and so far it's pretty good. only ever played the SNES games, so this one's kinda funky for my, but its good.

OH YEAH, I almost forgot, K. Rool is amazing in this one.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
My favorite line from him in the game was "Fatso is it? I'd choose my last words more carefully if I were you". :p

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
For sure, the N64 game is where a lot of the characters show the most personality. I think it's what established Diddy as someone with barrel-tech and K.Rool really comes across as actually evil finally.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, there is that. Hmm... Well since Rare's departure from Ninty didn't stop them from using K. Rool in the Paon games, would what's left of Rare dying stop Ninty from still using K. Rool/Kremlings in the future if they really wanted?
Nah, all rights to K. Rool have been seized by Nintendo per their agreement. That's why he's been in Mario sports games a couple of times.

At least I hope...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I find it odd that games like the Paon ones and Super Sluggers (and even Brawl) can exist, yet people question the ownership of the Kremlings. I mean, if Rare owned them but Nintendo could still use them, why wouldn't they use other Rare characters in games as well?

DKCR really didn't help. Stupid tikis. :glare:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
But what about the Kongs and Kremlings? :troll:
Hmm...so, on that same note, when Retro announced there were "no crocodiles" in DKCR, they didn't announce that there were no Kremlings, per se. Maybe they've just taken to camouflaging themselves or wearing invisibility cloaks. :troll:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Hmm...so, on that same note, when Retro announced there were "no crocodiles" in DKCR, they didn't announce that there were no Kremlings, per se. Maybe they've just taken to camouflaging themselves or wearing invisibility cloaks. :troll:
This reminded me of a quote pertaining to the development of the (incredibly awful) game, Darkened Skye.

Wikipedia said:
M&M Mars licensed use of their candy but maintained some editorial control upon the game. One requirement was to “remove all the snakes from the game.” When asked for clarification, they said that there could be snake-like creatures, but no actual snakes.

There can be crocodile-like enemies, but no crocodiles.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
EPIC MOVESET POST

It's great to see new folks contributing amazing things to the best thread on SWF!

I stopped getting alerts on the thread for some reason, and my busy schedule kept me from investigating. What's up with THAT?

Also, I love that techno remix from the previous page. So GOOD.

Think it has something to do with their complicated license. They're allowed to remake games because they have the license to the Donkey Kong name, but direct ports are not allowed because Rare owns the original games. This is why the DKC and Diddy Kong Racing games had remakes that were acceptable: they changed the names to include 'Advanced' and 'DS'. Thus, Rare can't do a thing.

Rare has stated Nintendo owns the rights to everything within the DKC games, including the games themselves. The only exception, I believe, and probably the reason they got taken down, was the Rare logos. Considering Microsoft is a money-grubbing pile of horse****, I can see them complaining about not getting royalties or something for the logos.

I'm sure one day they'll re-release the trilogy in some sort of updated box set, without the Rare logos. And I don't remember seeing "Advanced" on my copies of DKC on the GBA. I have all 3, and 2 copies of 1. It's not there.

Edit: OH MY GOD. I double-posted. I'm SO stupid!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Looks like Chrono's analysis for the DK series has been posted. It seems accurate for the most part, and I'm glad that information is out there in an easily-digestible format for new users.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Having a bit of trouble finishing off the moveset. I can't seem to think of a good down tilt for some reason. His bodily proportions are screwing with me, and I already am using the butt bouncing move for his downsmash. Any ideas?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
But yeah, if what's left of Rare just finally died as a company, at least there would be no more tug-of-war over rights or anything to do with download versions of the DKCs or anything.
Microsoft would find a way... at least until the Xbox One fails and costs them billions of dollars.

Also, Perfect Dark did come out on the Xbox Live Arcade, as did Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie.
Even if Rare ended up back in Nintendo's lap, it still isn't the same Rare. A lot of the team that made those great games on the SNES and N64 have likely gone elsewhere. We would get the IP back but they would be better off handing them over to new companies.
No, I think Nintendo would be the best with the IP's. They could use those IP's to expand their Western development teams, or even outsource the IP's to 3rd party companies like Platinum Games or SEGA (if they remain Nintendo console exclusives obviously).
K.Rool's battle theme in it honestly ranks up there for me.
I have it on my Project M mod on the newly made Rumble Falls stage (look it up; it's freaking awesome!).

volbound1700

Smash Master
Microsoft would find a way... at least until the Xbox One fails and costs them billions of dollars.

Also, Perfect Dark did come out on the Xbox Live Arcade, as did Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie.

No, I think Nintendo would be the best with the IP's. They could use those IP's to expand their Western development teams, or even outsource the IP's to 3rd party companies like Platinum Games or SEGA (if they remain Nintendo console exclusives obviously).
That was what I was saying, Nintendo should hand them to a company like Retro (which to me is trying to become the next Rare) to make games for Nintendo systems.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
what do you guys think of K Rool using something from DKCR in his moveset? I know, crazy, but there might be SOMETHING. like, um....throwing Tikis?

Top Bottom