• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I wasn't exclusively talking about DLC, but the Wii U games themselves altogether. I have played Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, & Super Mario 3D World. All of which felt shallow in comparison to past instalments of there series. Overall I have been rather disappointed with Nintendo post GameCube.
You're the first person I've ever seen call DKC: Tropical Freeze "shallow" and not "amazing."

Hey, Isaac is a legit choice for DLC.
Yup, Isaac's awesome. Been my #2 right behind K. Rool ever since the start.

I joined the supporters before that was the thing we did to new supporters. :p
So I never got one.
Lol, I'm one of the ones who started it.

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
You're the first person I've ever seen call DKC: Tropical Freeze "shallow" and not "amazing."
Bosses were underwhelming(except Bashmaster), the alt Kongs are just boost packs, and the enemy's can't compare to the Kremlings.

There is only one part of the game that I feel could qualify as "amazing":

Ironically my brother hated that level because he thought the trees looked like dancing organs and that grossed him out.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
So apparently DK: King of Swing hits the Japanese Wii U Virtual Console next week. Doesn't K. Rool appear in that game? More present coverage of K. Rool is always good!

Last edited:
i really hope k rool comes back.
nintendo is treating him the way capcom treated megaman.
in the way that so many fans love him,and that he has so much untapped potential but capcom still treats him like trash, with a few mediocre appearences here and there that only make fun of the character.

in a way you can say that nintendo is doing the same to k rool,and i dont like it.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So apparently DK: King of Swing hits the Japanese Wii U Virtual Console next week. Doesn't K. Rool appear in that game? More present coverage of K. Rool is always good!
Ooh, King of Swing is coming now, too? Sweet. I heard it wasn't that bad overall.

Yes, K. Rool is the main antagonist and final boss of both King of Swing and Jungle Climber.

EDIT: It is interesting that after all this time they're finally bringing back classic DK games to feature K. Rool as the main antagonist (along with both the first two Golden Sun games).

Bosses were underwhelming(except Bashmaster), the alt Kongs are just boost packs, and the enemy's can't compare to the Kremlings.

Ironically my brother hated that level because he thought the trees looked like dancing organs and that grossed him out.
You've basically summed up the only flaws most people cite about the game. The Kongs need to be separate characters like in the classic and be freely played as, and the Kremlings need to come back. Otherwise the Returns games are a nice return to classic DKC formula.

Last edited:

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
You've basically summed up the only flaws most people cite about the game. The Kongs need to be separate characters like in the classic and be freely played as, and the Kremlings need to come back. Otherwise the Returns games are a nice return to classic DKC formula.
Don't tell me you actually thought the bosses were underwhelming! The bosses were a major improvement over Returns and were a high point of this game. The bosses in Tropical Freeze were actually difficult and made me die a few times before I could adapt to their pattern. They weren't simple 3-hit bosses like most platformers nowadays have (granted Returns didn't have those either, but the bosses in this game have like 9 hits a piece! NINE!).

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Ooh, King of Swing is coming now, too? Sweet. I heard it wasn't that bad overall.

Yes, K. Rool is the main antagonist and final boss of both King of Swing and Jungle Climber.

EDIT: It is interesting that after all this time they're finally bringing back classic DK games to feature K. Rool as the main antagonist (along with both the first two Golden Sun games).

I definitely agree with the lack of being able to play as separate Kongs. It'd be fun to play through an entire level with each one too, or at least have different Kong-binations, like Diddy and Cranky using the Rocket Barrel and Cane Pogo Stick (a la Scrooge McDuck) or Diddy and Dixie working in tandem like the good ol' days... (Even though I never grew up with them, I just downloaded the entire trilogy - currently going through the second world of DKC1.)

Regarding one idea I have about King K. is whether his Royal Boomerang (Crown Toss) should be a Smash Attack, since I'm in favour of a blend-up of his designs. Blunderbuss for Neutral and Side, Baron for at least recovery... If anything, those are what I'm thinking of a moveset. Once I get to the guy in the Trilogy, I'll see what else he could incorporate into my King K. moveset

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Don't tell me you actually thought the bosses were underwhelming! The bosses were a major improvement over Returns and were a high point of this game. The bosses in Tropical Freeze were actually difficult and made me die a few times before I could adapt to their pattern. They weren't simple 3-hit bosses like most platformers nowadays have (granted Returns didn't have those either, but the bosses in this game have like 9 hits a piece! NINE!).
Lol, Crashboards prevented me from replying.

Notice how I ignored the mention of the bosses? I haven't played TF yet. Its one of my top priority Wii U games, but I still haven't played it yet, so I couldn't say anything on the bosses.

Oh, by the way guys, who here wants to play as DK Rep? I'm considering opening a new support DLC thread for "DK Rep." After all, DK Rep is the next-most wanted character for Smash Bros.!

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
If you're calling a boss fight with three monkeys that swing around with hammers at you, throw bombs at you, and roll at you like Sonic the hedgehog, "underwhelming", then I have nothing to say to you other then you're crazy.

Last edited:

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
Anyone remember how to beat Armydillos as Diddy in DKC1? If you jump you just bounce off of them.

Also Mine Cart Madness would be a good song for fighting in SSB.

Last edited:

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Anyone remember how to beat Armydillos as Diddy in DKC1? If you jump you just bounce off of them.

Jump on them for them to not be rolling, then jump on them again.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Lol, Crashboards prevented me from replying.

Notice how I ignored the mention of the bosses? I haven't played TF yet. Its one of my top priority Wii U games, but I still haven't played it yet, so I couldn't say anything on the bosses.

Oh, by the way guys, who here wants to play as DK Rep? I'm considering opening a new support DLC thread for "DK Rep." After all, DK Rep is the next-most wanted character for Smash Bros.!
The only DK reps I'd like added are King K Rool or Pauline.

That's right I said it, Pauline, Dixie sucks, add Pauline, she'd be amazing to play as and she'd love to smack Mario for going with Peach, or get her vengeance on Peach for stealing Mario away from her, and most of all she'd love to beat up that stupid ape, Donkey Butt for kidnapping her.

Pauline would totally be a main for me, and she is easily my pick for a DK rep besides King K Rool, I don't want anymore stupid monkeys.

So, peeps, how about we have One More DK Rep?

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

Dude, it took me almost 20 tries to finally beat those 3 annoying baboons! And that giant puffer fish was no easy pie either. And as much as Frederick was a knockoff of King K. Rool, even he took me a while to beat too.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Yeah, those guys are a pain in the butt. The problem is that when you bounce back, they start rolling again so quickly you just keep bouncing off of them. The best way I've found is to cartwheel into them. You recover quicker from cartwheeling, then you can do another quick cartwheel to finish them off. Its still tough to hit them before they roll up again, but this is the best way I've found. If possible I just avoid them, because bouncing off of them can easily knock you right off a narrow ledge.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892

Well... here's the vocalized version of the Donkey Kong Country Returns track that plays on Kongo Jungle 64. This is so bad that I absolutely love it. I can totally picture the entire Kong family singing it together at DK's birthday party.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

Well... here's the vocalized version of the Donkey Kong Country Returns track that plays on Kongo Jungle 64. This is so bad that I absolutely love it. I can totally picture the entire Kong family singing it together at DK's birthday party.
So bad it's good. Helps that the music itself is great.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I definitely agree with the lack of being able to play as separate Kongs. It'd be fun to play through an entire level with each one too, or at least have different Kong-binations, like Diddy and Cranky using the Rocket Barrel and Cane Pogo Stick (a la Scrooge McDuck) or Diddy and Dixie working in tandem like the good ol' days... (Even though I never grew up with them, I just downloaded the entire trilogy - currently going through the second world of DKC1.)
moveset
THIS TIMES 10! I love DK as much as the next guy, but I love Diddy and Dixie more. I have argued many times over the internet why I think the tag team style from the past games and the new buddy system can coexist. I would liked to have variety. I do hope Retro incorporates the mechanic in their next game or, at least, let me play as the other kongs from the beginning without me having to go through all of the trouble.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker

Are King of Swing and Jungle Climber decent games? I have never played them before.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Are King of Swing and Jungle Climber decent games? I have never played them before.
Opinion is usually that Jungle Climber is atrocious. But I played, and it was ok. Can't say anything on King of Swing though.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Being how "King K. Rool/ Ship and Deck 2" is returning as an alt. stage theme in the wii u version of ssb4, who else plans on making a gangplank galleon stage in the custom stage mode? since I think it's obvious now we're not getting an actual one for dlc.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I've never played them, but its an interesting concept. I'd like to try it myself.

Being how "King K. Rool/ Ship and Deck 2" is returning as an alt. stage theme in the wii u version of ssb4, who else plans on making a gangplank galleon stage in the custom stage mode? since I think it's obvious now we're not getting an actual one for dlc.
I wouldn't rule it out all-together. Its still probably more likely than Flying Kroc. I wouldn't mind making a Gangplank Galleon stage regardless, though.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I've never played them, but its an interesting concept. I'd like to try it myself.

I wouldn't rule it out all-together. Its still probably more likely than Flying Kroc. I wouldn't mind making a Gangplank Galleon stage regardless, though.
Maybe it's an unlockable stage in the game? If anything I'm now expecting a Flying Kroc or even a DK64 related stage for dlc.

Don't you mean ROOL it out? *Insert laugh track here*
Sorry, desperation is taking its toll on my sense of humor.
Can't say I blame ya lol.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
In a little over an hour, at 5:30 ET, Reggie will be taking over Nintendo's official Twitter account @NintendoAmerica to answer fan questions about upcoming games. If you use the hashtag #Regginator in your tweet, you can message him about K. Rool and the Kremlings returning. Sounds like as good a time as any to get the word out to him, yes? Link the Kremling Kampaign website and use #BringBackKRool to let him know we're out there.

I love the electric guitar at the beginning and in the background; it almost reminds me of the DKC cartoon opening theme. I wish the track were an entire remix of just that, although the Kong voices are an amusing touch as well. I'll have this track turned up pretty high in frequency, alongside the K. Rool theme (it plays on Kongo Jungle 64).

Last edited:

Craxian

Smash Rookie
A while back, I emailed Nintendo of America about K. Rool. Here is how they responded.

Hello Nicholas,

Thanks for writing. I would like to start this email by apologizing for the delay in our reply. We have been unseasonably busy for this time of year. Being a big fan of King K. Rool myself, I can certainly understand your interest in seeing his appearance in our latest Super Smash Bros. and other games. While we have not announced any plans for something like this at this time, I want to assure you that your interest in him will be documented and made available to the other departments here at Nintendo. While I cannot guarantee what will be done with your comments, we do take all feedback that we receive from our fans into consideration.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc. Jeremy Johnston

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I've already started harassing Reggie on Twitter. Not that it matters, since the questions and answers have been predetermined in advance, but it's not like he can erase my tweets. At the very least, people are going to see them. To be honest, I'm sure K. Rool would have been playable by now if NoA was in charge of deciding the roster. #SSB #DLC

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
It appears Reggie is stalling. One thing for sure though, he can see our tweets. He may not respond to them, but he can see them.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I tweeted them too. Thanks for retweeting me, @ BKupa666 BKupa666 .
Yes, my Twitter handle is @JByronWhat. Keep it a secret to everybody, if social media didn't exist.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What would you guys do if we got a K.Rool fight medley?

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
The current COO of Nintendo of America didn't play an NES game until 2006. Discuss.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
So that Reggie Twitter takeover was VERY underwhelming, but that's what is to be expected from anything that isn't a Nintendo Direct. Oh well, keep spamming K. Rool and we'll eventually get him! It took about 7 years for Earthbound to get on VC after constant pleading so Nintendo can't ignore us forever!

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Since we're getting PotDs of stages that were shown in the 50 Fact Wii U direct, I think it's safe to say that we'll be getting one for Jungle Hijinxs. He would say.

Sakurai - "Pic of the day, here is Jungle Hijinxs from Donkey Kong Country Returns! *Explains stage mechanics*
Oh and here's Chunky Kong BTW. FYI, he's an assist trophy."

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
What would you guys do if we got a K.Rool fight medley?
The same thing I would do if we got a Mysterious Murasame Castle medley.

...wait..
The current COO of Nintendo of America didn't play an NES game until 2006. Discuss
I may be wrong, but NES wasn't a very K.Rool centric system.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
The same thing I would do if we got a Mysterious Murasame Castle medley.

...wait..

I may be wrong, but NES wasn't a very K.Rool centric system.
Weren't the Kremlings originally designed to appear as enemies in Battletoads? That totally counts, r-right?

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Weren't the Kremlings originally designed to appear as enemies in Battletoads? That totally counts, r-right?
Well I'm pretty sure that new Battletoads game was going to be on the SNES. (I think they were going to appear in a never made sequel to Battletoads. Don't quote me on that though).

Last edited:

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Alright, basically every new (non-clone) character has a very unique trait or feature. (robin=tomes, palutena=customs, pacman=summoning/retro transform, little mac=ground based, etc)

What would King K. Rool's trait/feature be?

Perhaps for a small amount of time he can "enrage" with his down-b, go crazy and do lots more damage and knockback and suffer less or no hitstun/knockback (but take extra damage). You can use it once per stock, only above 80% and it lasts for 1 second for every 10 damage rool has taken, with a max of 20 seconds, and damage taken while enraged increases it (max remains 20 seconds total). After enraging ends, k. rool faints to the ground/goes into freefall and lays there for several seconds, the shockwave is very damaging. After a moment k. rool will jump up and laugh, ready to fight again.

Last edited:

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Is it odd that I obsessively collect trophies of characters I want in Smash? I've got, like, ten K. Rool trophies, seven Mewtwos, nine Wolfs, and six Lucases. It's like a reflex, any time I see one of those in the shop I grab it up almost instantly.

Top Bottom