• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't like the argument that "younger audiences must be pandered to" for a number of reasons. One, the list of characters they know is very limited to begin with (hence why, on those "name the Smash characters" tests, most people fail miserably), two, they care very little who's in the game anyway and will buy no matter what (although so will the "hardcore" fans, to be fair), and three, with DLC especially, it's the hardcore fans that will be driving the bulk of the sales, the ones who will care about the game beyond just a week or two and want to buy new characters for it.

It's also selective as hell. Sure, we can stick in handfuls of obscure one-offs and niche RPG swordsmen whose games sold maybe a million three years ago, but that main villain whose debut game sold ten million during a golden era of gaming, who had a perfect attendance in DKC up until very recently and who is still getting facetime with the rereleases of all his old games? TOO FAR. NOT HAPPENING.
You don't understand the difference between being in the original roster and being paid DLC. People will buy Smash regardless of the roster. However, they won't just buy any DLC. K. Rool's character and legacy meant he probably should have got a spot in the original roster. But when it comes to DLC legacy doesn't mean **** if you're not going to sell.

Look at Nintendo's recent DLC. Mewtwo is being used to get people to buy both versions. You have to be a guaranteed sale for that. Now look at the MK8 DLC. You have Link, who is a guaranteed sale, Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach. Two characters from newer games that appeal to younger audiences.

Pretty much the old-school characters that have been used for DLC are ones that are still prominent in today's games, which makes them guaranteed sales. The other stuff they're using are modern characters that appeal to younger audiences. K. Rool doesn't tick either of those boxes. VC doesn't really count, you might as well say Wart is a chance for DLC then, because that's what K. Rool is like to the younger generation.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That's what I'm saying, though...the demographic who will care about and buy DLC is the same one that has requested K. Rool for years. Also, it's a big stretch to assume "young gamers" (because what counts as a young gamer, really?" only care about what's new, that they buy Cat Peach because it's recent rather than because "OMG CAT, SO FUNNY!"

It's what @cephalopod17 was saying in that cool characters sell themselves for the most part. Granted, I don't think K. Rool is going to be the team's first choice, but I definitely think he's still got a chance at this thing, and isn't just a "delusional dream" like the passive-aggressiveness in the General Leaks Discussion thread would have you believe.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
That's what I'm saying, though...the demographic who will care about and buy DLC is the same one that has requested K. Rool for years. Also, it's a big stretch to assume "young gamers" (because what counts as a young gamer, really?" only care about what's new, that they buy Cat Peach because it's recent rather than because "OMG CAT, SO FUNNY!"

It's what @cephalopod17 was saying in that cool characters sell themselves for the most part. Granted, I don't think K. Rool is going to be the team's first choice, but I definitely think he's still got a chance at this thing, and isn't just a "delusional dream" like the passive-aggressiveness in the General Leaks Discussion thread would have you believe.
Like Ridley, I think our perception of his overall popularity is skewed by being in the vocal internet community (which is where the majority of his popularity is). The difference with Mewtwo is that his internet popularity also transitions into the wider fanbase. Most kids whose first console was the Wii probably haven't played a game where K. Rool was the main villain.

I think you're selling the casual community short when it comes to DLC. The casual community will be the bulk of DLC sales because it's much larger than the hardcore community. I don't see Nintendo going with K. Rool. He's too obscure for many gamers, and whilst he'd still sell (pretty much any non-clone DLC will sell) Nintendo can just go with something more modern and get even more sales, whilst also promoting new games.

The only ways I see K. Rool being DLC is if Nintendo does a DLC poll and K. Rool scores high (like he did in past popularity polls) or if he's used to promote a new DK game that he features. But even then both are unlikely to me. I thnk most DLC will be stages and alts, and the character DLC will be vets and stuff like Inkling.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Granted, I don't think K. Rool is going to be the team's first choice, but I definitely think he's still got a chance at this thing, and isn't just a "delusional dream" like the passive-aggressiveness in the General Leaks Discussion thread would have you believe.
Out of curiosity. Who are these users?

I can only think of one, and even then, he's not exactly passive.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Lol, K. Rool doesn't have star power to sell DLC? Considering the fact that he's been consistently within the Top 5 most wanted characters overall throughout the lifespan of the game's speculation period, **** yes he's got the star power to sell DLC! Especially if its later confirmed K. Rool is going to appear in an upcoming yet-to-be-announced DK game.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Lol, K. Rool doesn't have star power to sell DLC? Considering the fact that he's been consistently within the Top 5 most wanted characters overall throughout the lifespan of the game's speculation period, **** yes he's got the star power to sell DLC! Especially if its later confirmed K. Rool is going to appear in an upcoming yet-to-be-announced DK game.
The pre-game speculation you're talking about was from the internet community. Even the popularity polls is mostly just the internet community. I can't imagine him being extremely popular amongst the Wii generation, most of whom have never played a game with him in it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The pre-game speculation you're talking about was from the internet community. Even the popularity polls is mostly just the internet community. I can't imagine him being extremely popular amongst the Wii generation, most of whom have never played a game with him in it.
Most of the Wii generation did not buy a Wii U. Your point?

The grand majority of people speculating Smash Bros. want K. Rool. The ones that don't DO NOT ****ING CARE.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I've also been curious to know what the general age demographic is of the King K. Rool supporters is. Late-teens to mid twenties, I assume?

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012
You don't understand the difference between being in the original roster and being paid DLC. People will buy Smash regardless of the roster. However, they won't just buy any DLC. K. Rool's character and legacy meant he probably should have got a spot in the original roster. But when it comes to DLC legacy doesn't mean **** if you're not going to sell.

Look at Nintendo's recent DLC. Mewtwo is being used to get people to buy both versions. You have to be a guaranteed sale for that. Now look at the MK8 DLC. You have Link, who is a guaranteed sale, Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach. Two characters from newer games that appeal to younger audiences.

Pretty much the old-school characters that have been used for DLC are ones that are still prominent in today's games, which makes them guaranteed sales. The other stuff they're using are modern characters that appeal to younger audiences. K. Rool doesn't tick either of those boxes. VC doesn't really count, you might as well say Wart is a chance for DLC then, because that's what K. Rool is like to the younger generation.
Why would DLC in a fighting game cater to casuals? From my understanding these DLC's should cater to the hardcore gamers, those who bother to even stop and think why x person is a good fit as dlc. Casuals wouldn't spend extra money trying to purchase more from a game that already offers them enough. Only hardcore fans would crave for more.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Why would DLC in a fighting game cater to casuals? From my understanding these DLC's should cater to the hardcore gamers, those who bother to even stop and think why x person is a good fit as dlc. Casuals wouldn't spend extra money trying to purchase more from a game that already offers them enough. Only hardcore fans would crave for more.
They MIGHT, but casuals in general would not care who it is. If they buy more, they buy more, and wouldn't care who it is.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Most of the Wii generation did not buy a Wii U. Your point?

The grand majority of people speculating Smash Bros. want K. Rool. The ones that don't DO NOT ****ING CARE.
The amount of people who speculate like we do is only a small portion of the greater fanbase. And I find it hard to believe that anyone who doesn't want K. Rool in the game is apparently indifferent to DLC. That's a load of bull. There are tons of people throughout the greater fanbase who aren't K. Rool fans (probably because they've never played one of his games) that are eagerly anticipating DLC. You also seem to think that only the speculators care about DLC. Again that's not true, look at MK8 DLC, it got eaten up by the casuals.

It's not a real fighting game though, it's a party game aimed at casuals. Look at MK8, it's not just the hardcores buying the DLC, the casuals are too.

You guys need to stop thinking of Smash as a legit fighter like Street Fighter where only hardcores will care about DLC. Smash has the same audience as MK8, so the same DLC logic will be applied.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
That doesn't rule out fanbase popular choices you know. also almost all casuals' I know HATE(or dislike) cat peach and Tanooki Mario in MK8(mind, they are my siblings mainly) because they don't add anything new or interesting.

Also you have a funny viewpoint of Nintendo, if they didn't listen to their fans, then why is Earthbound on the wii-u Virtual Console? that happened solely because of fan request. The fact is that Nintendo does their best to appeal to fans old and new, with a good balance of interesting and new(to you, it can be an old character too) as well as the intriguing, but familiar. Fact is if they do DLC character packs, which I do believe is likely, they will do a mix of returning vets(perhaps retooled as well), and newcomers both old and newer(from both the popular and niche side of the spectrum)

Also Smash has nothing against introducing a new generation to characters they may have missed or forgotten, Little Mac(as an assist trophy in Brawl for the classic games, and a playable in 4 for the commonly missed wii entry), and Duck Hunt who hasn't been seen in DECADES, it doesn't matter that he's a 'retro character'.

Also you guys know who is actually the BEST support for our cause of previous precedent? That would be Ness in SSB64, who was a character who was virtually unknown in the west because he had been in ONE game that had been released nearly FIVE years previously and was overlooked by over 90% of the 'core' Nintendo fanbase. And not only has he been in every game since then, but most Nintendo fans know his name, and many requested his game come back to the west after nearly 20 years.

Nintendo listens to the fans, and likes to appeal to them, and while K.Rool may not have been in a new game for six years, 6 of the iconic titles he starred as the villain in were rereleased in Europe last month, 3 of which have been available in Japan for over a year, and will hopefully come west soon.

What we Kremlings need to do is stand together, let ourselves be heard, and continue supporting our king and one day he will not only be in Smash, but also return to the DK series, now who's with me!

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
That doesn't rule out fanbase popular choices you know. also almost all casuals' I know HATE(or dislike) cat peach and Tanooki Mario in MK8(mind, they are my siblings mainly) because they don't add anything new or interesting.

Also you have a funny viewpoint of Nintendo, if they didn't listen to their fans, then why is Earthbound on the wii-u Virtual Console? that happened solely because of fan request. The fact is that Nintendo does their best to appeal to fans old and new, with a good balance of interesting and new(to you, it can be an old character too) as well as the intriguing, but familiar. Fact is if they do DLC character packs, which I do believe is likely, they will do a mix of returning vets(perhaps retooled as well), and newcomers both old and newer(from both the popular and niche side of the spectrum)

Also Smash has nothing against introducing a new generation to characters they may have missed or forgotten, Little Mac(as an assist trophy in Brawl for the classic games, and a playable in 4 for the commonly missed wii entry), and Duck Hunt who hasn't been seen in DECADES, it doesn't matter that he's a 'retro character'.

Also you guys know who is actually the BEST support for our cause of previous precedent? That would be Ness in SSB64, who was a character who was virtually unknown in the west because he had been in ONE game that had been released nearly FIVE years previously and was overlooked by over 90% of the 'core' Nintendo fanbase. And not only has he been in every game since then, but most Nintendo fans know his name, and many requested his game come back to the west after nearly 20 years.

Nintendo listens to the fans, and likes to appeal to them, and while K.Rool may not have been in a new game for six years, 6 of the iconic titles he starred as the villain in were rereleased in Europe last month, 3 of which have been available in Japan for over a year, and will hopefully come west soon.

What we Kremlings need to do is stand together, let ourselves be heard, and continue supporting our king and one day he will not only be in Smash, but also return to the DK series, now who's with me!
Once again, you're not understanding the difference with DLC. You can put anything in the original roster and it'll sell. Sakurai would never do characters like ROB or DHD as DLC because they wouldn't sell.

Earthbound getting put on VC isn't comparable. That's simply porting a game over. They don't have to pay animators for months of work like they would have to with DLC. The resource commitment for VC is almost non-existent.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Dre, you are actually incorrect, the VC isn't plug and chug, they don't have a single emulator that works for every game. Each game has to mated the VC menu, optimized, and entirely bug checked to make sure there are no issues, it may not be the same as a full game, but it is comparable to a DLC character in amount of work because it requires large amounts of coding and testing to make sure it works properly. You know why the N64 VC didn't have a number of games? while they could get the licenses a number of games required the memory pack in the original form that they had major issues coding for the emulator making it so that games like Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon couldn't be put on the wii VC despite mass popularity. That is probably half the reason why the wii-u VC doesn't have N64 games yet, it takes a TON of time code and resources to make them work, add in save states, and hopefully they can make it so that memory pack compatible games will actually work this time.

Putting a game on the VC console takes a ton of time and effort, there isn't a universal converter despite what people think. That is what makes it a good precedence for Nintendo listening to fans, It took them a good amount of money and effort to put a niche game on the VC simply due to fan demand, there is no reason why they wouldn't put a fan favorite character in a DLC pack, especially when he is both interesting and has an amazing potential for a moveset

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Y'know, this has been said enough to become a platitude at this stage, but the more I think about it, the more I reckon that Retro taking over development of the Donkey Kong series is the best thing that could have possibly happened to K. Rool, if not to the series overall (short of Rare being bought back by Nintendo, of course). The reason the Donkey Kong series faded into obscurity for the longest time is because of how absurdly inconsistent the dev teams were and how fragmented and disjointed the production of those games was: there was no core foundation upon which to build the series, so every dev team did its own thing, yielding what can only be described as "mixed results". Retro taking over the series means there's no a proper paradigm in place and a template for future games to be modeled off of - it can now become its own mainstream series again, rather than just a series of side projects for the developers at Nintendo to work on in order to ensure the series was doing anything at all.

Donkey Kong without Rare became something comparable to Mario without Miyamoto or Zelda without Aounma: it seemed to discard its sense of be an aborted project overall. Thanks to Retro, though, we've got our foundations rebuilt again, even if that's just rebuilding the scaffolding that rare set in place years ago. K. Rool's not an unreasonable expectation at this point, and if he can return to the main series, then I don't doubt people will finally appreciate that he's an essential element of the series and he ain't going anywhere - Rare may have created him, but Retro knows what they're doing, and if things keep going pleasantly for Donkey Kong in the future, we may just see the Krafty King himself back in action very, very soon!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You know, concerning the whole casual vs hardcore debate, I already made my point in the Isaac thread when something similar was said.

You know, I don't really get this assumption that DLC characters are going to be primarily targeted towards the "casuals", considering that ever other expansion/DLC for other fighting games include content and characters specifically targeted towards the hardcore fans of said franchise whilst still being able to be successful in that regard. Heck, Super Street Fighter 4, a disk-only expansion to Street Fighter 4 that that only included 10 characters, all of which were obscure to the general audience with the fan-favourites only appealing to said hardcore Street Fighter fans, managed to sell almost 2 million copies, going beyond the sales expectations.

Whether or not Isaac is obscure to the general audience means absolutely nothing as not only are the general audience already satisfied with the base game due to the inclusion of characters and features that appeals to them such as Mario, Link, Samus, Pikachu, etc. but they aren't even the people who are actively demanding DLC characters in the first place, so there is no reason to make DLC characters banking on them appealing to the type of people that are precisely unlikely to buy DLC in the first place. Other fighting game companies knows this and thus makes DLC characters that includes characters based on hardcore fan popularity only, and I don't expect the dev team for this game to operate differently.

In short, Isaac being recognizable to the general audience means squat considering they aren't the target audience for fighting game DLC. Among the hardcore fanbase, the target for character DLC and the people who actually demands DLC, Isaac has consistently been among the top 10 character requests for Smash. Keep in mind that many of these polls are taken across many different sites, so it's not just SmashBoards that is taken into account.

If Isaac won't be in as DLC, it will not be due to obscurity among the casuals.
Bolded part is import. If every other fighting game that does DLC/expansions is able to succeed by taking into account hardcore popularity only with Super Street Fighter 4, an expansion to Street Fighter 4 that only adds obscure characters, being able to sell almost 2 million copies, then K. Rool can sell as DLC.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Out of curiosity. Who are these users?

I can only think of one, and even then, he's not exactly passive.
I don't remember who it was exactly, but I remember going in there last week or so and seeing things like "KROOL is a random name like in Brawl. . .some K. Rool fans are going to claim this makes him a shoo-in." Really? Just because people are tired of hearing about popular character choices that they don't personally like doesn't mean they have to pretend those fans are all loons, or that "it's just a few loud people, people don't really like that character."

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Donkey Kong without Rare became something comparable to Mario without Miyamoto or Zelda without Aounma: it seemed to discard its sense of be an aborted project overall.
Well there was Super Mario Land 1 and 2. 1 was hard to get use too because Mario falls like a rock if you didn't jump which could led to your death. And power ups went through the floor so you have to be fast. 2 on the other hand is better in every way! The level were better designed, bigger sprites, the carrot, and :warioc:.

So if Miyamoto does leave I imagine that Mario might take a similar path as he did in the Land games.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Like Ridley, I think our perception of his overall popularity is skewed by being in the vocal internet community (which is where the majority of his popularity is). The difference with Mewtwo is that his internet popularity also transitions into the wider fanbase. Most kids whose first console was the Wii probably haven't played a game where K. Rool was the main villain.

I think you're selling the casual community short when it comes to DLC. The casual community will be the bulk of DLC sales because it's much larger than the hardcore community. I don't see Nintendo going with K. Rool. He's too obscure for many gamers, and whilst he'd still sell (pretty much any non-clone DLC will sell) Nintendo can just go with something more modern and get even more sales, whilst also promoting new games.

The only ways I see K. Rool being DLC is if Nintendo does a DLC poll and K. Rool scores high (like he did in past popularity polls) or if he's used to promote a new DK game that he features. But even then both are unlikely to me. I thnk most DLC will be stages and alts, and the character DLC will be vets and stuff like Inkling.
I can almost follow your logic, which I happen to strongly disagree with, until you mention that you think the character DLC will be Inkling and veteran characters. Your points on character DLC before this point is that they must sell well. The truth here is that nothing about Inkling indicates that she would in fact sell well- including her as DLC would be to make HER game sell well, and in fact, to make her own franchise sell well. If she re included, it would need to be as Free DLC, AS promotion. That is what promotion is in this case; otherwise, she has even less on her side than the actual all star characters you are claiming have no shot in former statements.

As for veterans? I think it would leave an extreely sour taste in most fans mouths to get all veterans. I think if we get bundles, veterans will be included. In fact, I'd say it would be Veteran, clone/semi clone, quirky new character, in each DLC pack. IF they do packs. But only including veterans is not a feeling of 'freshness' to DLC< which is a mandatory feeling when paying for content. Even Mewtwo was described as returning as a 'new character,' a sentiment which Dr Mario was not given. I believe he will be an entirely new character, just an old IP, returning, likely with a new 'gimmick.'

Ultimately, Sakurai has been in charge of the roster this entire time; there is no reason to think Nintedo would take reign now and suddenly dictate which characters he can add in, or to think conversely that he would suddenly add all characters that simply help out Nintendo for pure monetary reasons. I believe he will add characters as he has always done- with more of an open time table, to add uniqueness to the roster.

If he is just going for a guaranteed sale, then we are only going to get Pokemon, and maybe 1-2 RPG characters.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well there was Super Mario Land 1 and 2. 1 was hard to get use too because Mario falls like a rock if you didn't jump which could led to your death. And power ups went through the floor so you have to be fast. 2 on the other hand is better in every way! The level were better designed, bigger sprites, the carrot, and :warioc:.

So if Miyamoto does leave I imagine that Mario might take a similar path as he did in the Land games.
Oh, I ought to clarify. I don't mean that that hasn't happened before, I just mean it'd be comparable because of how closely intertwined Miyamoto is with Mario, being his creator and director and all.

But yes, Super Mario Land 1 and 2 are glorious in their own weird and wonderful ways~

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Kongo Jungle (Melee) is still very likely, for multiple reasons.

1.) DK is in the perfect position layout-wise to get a new stage.
2.) Neither of the DK tracks from Melee are in the game yet, and BOTH were in Brawl.
3.) Kongo Jungle from Smash 64 is specifically touted as "Kongo Jungle 64", even though there's no reason to call it that if its the only Kongo Jungle in the game.

Flat Zone actually messes up the stage layout, so it implies there's even more stages than we thought, when before it looked like we may only have 2 left.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Kongo Jungle (Melee) is still very likely, for multiple reasons.

1.) DK is in the perfect position layout-wise to get a new stage.
2.) Neither of the DK tracks from Melee are in the game yet, and BOTH were in Brawl.
3.) Kongo Jungle from Smash 64 is specifically touted as "Kongo Jungle 64", even though there's no reason to call it that if its the only Kongo Jungle in the game.

Flat Zone actually messes up the stage layout, so it implies there's even more stages than we thought, when before it looked like we may only have 2 left.
is kongo jungle actually a good stage though?

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
is kongo jungle actually a good stage though?
It's okay. Better than Jungle Japes for sure.

Melee Kongo Jungle would be acceptable I guess. Better than a new stage where Rool is a big stupid target that you can kill for a free point.
(I'm sorry that I never shut up about this, but I just really hate the stage boss concept)

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
it would really suck if the stage that was there was actually rumble falls, and its a possibility so we should all get ready for disappointment just in case the stage is rumble falls
Its not Rumble Falls, I can guarantee it. Every single track from Rumble Falls is accounted for except for the Melee tracks.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Say here's a thought, what if there are either a lot more stages than we think and the page swaps up a loooot, or like Brawl it eventually splits into multiple pages(perhaps just pages, not just game of origin

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
I've also been curious to know what the general age demographic is of the King K. Rool supporters is. Late-teens to mid twenties, I assume?
I'd think older. What was his last major appearance, dk64? Cus my first Nintendo console was gamecube and I'm 19 and that was kinda late in the gamecube life cycle I think. I'd think most of his fans must be in their mid 20s or older

I gotta admit I just see krool as a goofy 90s villain. But he'd prob have a fun moveset

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
Woot, I just beat K. Rool in Hero Mode, what a rush.

Also @ BKupa666 BKupa666 , it might be a good idea to tweet Rare on DKC1's anniversary next week, congratulating them. They deserve praise and also they might retweet it, spreading word of the Kampaign!

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
At this point we have to hope that Retro Studios picks up the Donkey Kong Series and King K. Rool.

*crosses fingers for Retro picking up King K. Rool*

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

Umm..Donkey Kong Country original SNES games on the virtual console before they were taken off in 2012?

Too obscure for many gamers?
1. Wii Fit Trainer
2. Villager
3. Duck Hunt Dog (I don't care if he's a retro character or not)
4. Pit
5. Dr. Mario(although I can accept him in this game being how he has his tornado attack whereas regular Mario does'nt)

Those are more obscure than K. Rool and he DOES HAVE a good potential moveset. And again, many fans still know him and want him as a playable fighter.

Mewtwo and Ridley have been around for years and I'm pretty sure many were wanting them as playable in a smash game even before the internet craze.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well, gotta say, I thought we definitely weren't getting any past stages that weren't already returning stages in Melee or Brawl, but I guess Flat Zone is proof to the contrary. Bring on Kongo Jungle and the half dozen more DK Island Swing remixes it will inevitably receive (maybe along with a modern DK Rap??).

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Umm..Donkey Kong Country original SNES games on the virtual console before they were taken off in 2012?

1. Wii Fit Trainer
2. Villager
4. Pit
5. Dr. Mario(although I can accept him in this game being how he has his tornado attack whereas regular Mario does'nt)

Those are more obscure than K. Rool and he DOES HAVE a good potential moveset. And again, many fans still know him and want him as a playable fighter.

Mewtwo and Ridley have been around for years and I'm pretty sure many were wanting them as playable in a smash game even before the internet craze.
wii fit trainer might be a weird character but alot of people will know the wii fit trainer considereing how much it sold

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789

1. Wii Fit Trainer
2. Villager
4. Pit

For the one millionth time, there is a difference between being in the original roster and being DLC. You can put anyone in the original roster and it'll sell, because they're buying the game and not just the roster. You can't just put anyone as DLC and expect it to sell as well as actually good DLC options (such as Mewtwo). This is why they'll probaby never put gimmicky **** like WFT and DHD as DLC, as it wouldn't sell as well as other characters unless they were in bundles.

Like I've said before, Mewtwo makes sense as DLC because not only is he iconic, but he's also still prominent in modern games and has an enormous following in the younger generation. That's why he's being used to get people to buy both versions. K. Rool doesn't fit that bill because he's not that known or popular with the younger generation.

So once again, can people stop straw-manning and stop using obscure ORIGINAL ROSTER characters as evidence that Nintendo is willing to use old-school characters hat the younger generation don't know as DLC.

Last edited:

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman

1. Wii Fit Trainer
2. Villager
4. Pit

Uhhhh of those only duck hunt is obscure or lacking relevance today.

Animal crossing and kid icarus were big 3ds games like a year ago, everyone knows about wii fit, and there was a recent Dr Mario game too.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Uhhhh of those only duck hunt is obscure or lacking relevance today.

Animal crossing and kid icarus were big 3ds games like a year ago, everyone knows about wii fit, and there was a recent Dr Mario game too.
To be fair, his point was probably that those were characters that weren't popular/asked for, but they still got in. His mistake is that he doesn't understand how much more selective DLC is by nature. DLC characters have to sell themselves (or an upcoming game) whereas characters in the original roster are sold by the game itself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom