• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
You know what I find funny? Smash Wii U's soundtrack is GODLIKE. They even have songs from obscure games like Baten Kaitos. Too bad DK is really the only franchise that didn't get a good list of tracks becuase just about every other franchise. (But I mean c'mon, we have Stickerbush Symphony, Battle for Storm Hill and a few other notable tracks. What else do you DESPERATELY want?)
The main complaint is that DK has 8 versions of the exact same song. Even someone who was complaining on a different forum about the DK fans complaints' noted that she felt bad for DK fans for having 8 versions of the exact same song.

Although to be honest, the only song I REALLY wanted was a long shot anyway. The only hope we have of getting Crocodile Cacophany at this point is K. Rool DLC with a new K. Rool stage.

Admittedly, I really do like the idea of getting Fear Factory now, even though it won't happen. The only DK stage it'd really work on at this point is 75m.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
If this isn't in...
I'll be a little upset, this is my all-time favorite David Wise track, and that's saying something as all of his OSTs are Godlike, always.
I love this track! Makes me wanna play through Tropical Freeze again! They did include a few tracks from that game, but idk if this is one of them. I think this would fit quite nicely with Jungle Hijinxs!

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I think the lack of villains can be easily explained by the simple fact that aside from the flagship Nintendo franchises, most series' villains aren't all that prominent or iconic. Some series, like Pokémon and Fire Emblem, don't have a single recurring villain, and others, like Star Fox, have main antagonists that wouldn't really work. In exceptions to this case, you have prominent or semi-prominent villains who just don't have star power for whatever reason. Nintendo heavily focuses on marketing its heroes as the faces of its franchises, so while someone like Kirby's Nightmare may be a somewhat notable villain, they're not really seen as essential to the franchise's brand, and the general public wouldn't really recognize them, unlike the exceptions of Bowser and Ganon.

K. Rool and Ridley are the only two excluded villains whose absence from the roster baffles me. They're both tightly associated with their respective series of origin. K. Rool's main obstacle probably has to do with his long absence. If he was in Returns, he probably would've been playable, sad to say.

You know what I find funny? Smash Wii U's soundtrack is GODLIKE despite the complaining about the lack of DK songs. They even have songs from obscure games like Baten Kaitos. Too bad DK is really the only franchise that didn't get a good list of tracks becuase just about every other franchise. (But I mean c'mon, we have Stickerbush Symphony, Battle for Storm Hill and a few other notable tracks. What else do you DESPERATELY want?)
Alas, poor Wario. And it looks like the only new F-Zero music is a third rendition of Mute City.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
I think the lack of villains can be easily explained by the simple fact that aside from the flagship Nintendo franchises, most series' villains aren't all that prominent or iconic. Some series, like Pokémon and Fire Emblem, don't have a single recurring villain, and others, like Star Fox, have main antagonists that wouldn't really work. In exceptions to this case, you have prominent or semi-prominent villains who just don't have star power for whatever reason. Nintendo heavily focuses on marketing its heroes as the faces of its franchises, so while someone like Kirby's Nightmare may be a somewhat notable villain, they're not really seen as essential to the franchise's brand, and the general public wouldn't really recognize them, unlike the exceptions of Bowser and Ganon.

K. Rool and Ridley are the only two excluded villains whose absence from the roster baffles me. They're both tightly associated with their respective series of origin. K. Rool's main obstacle probably has to do with his long absence. If he was in Returns, he probably would've been playable, sad to say.

Alas, poor Wario. And it looks like the only new F-Zero music is a third rendition of Mute City.
Ah true. But remember, Sakurai pretends Wario Land doesn't exist for god knows why (even tough there is a Shake It tune in the OST) and there hasn't been a new F-Zero in 10 years, the tracks from GX were used in Brawl and they really don't need remixes.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
One of my favorite new David Wise composed tracks. It would fit perfectly in Smash, especially in that scenery.

Last edited:

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
One of my favorite new David Wise composed tracks. It would fit perfectly, especially in that scenery.
As I keep listening to these great tracks, I REALLY want to dust off my Wii U that I haven't played in over 3 months and play Tropical Freeze. The only Wii U game that'll top it so far is Smash (and Splatoon when it comes out) :p

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
At the rate new titles are being released, I'm expecting Tropical Freeze to remain my favorite game on the Wii U after Smash, unless we get another unexpected sequel somewhere down the line. Coincidentally (or perhaps not), my two favorite games on the Wii are Brawl and DKCR.

Retro makes some amazing DKC games. I'm already longing for a third attempt.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
People keep saying we'd have gotten K. Rool if he were in Returns, but I don't completely buy that. Beyond the "Diddy and Jungle Beat" answer, what newcomer does K. Rool replace in-game? Sure, you can argue how he dwarves any number of them in every way, but if Sakurai just prefers them to him, and you get the sense that he adores all of these newcomers, did he ever have a chance to begin with? (Also, if "relevance" and unorthodox characters were that big a deal, but Tropical Freeze is "too new," where's Cranky?)

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
People keep saying we'd have gotten K. Rool if he were in Returns, but I don't completely buy that. Beyond the "Diddy and Jungle Beat" answer, what newcomer does K. Rool replace in-game? Sure, you can argue how he dwarves any number of them in every way, but if Sakurai just prefers them to him, and you get the sense that he adores all of these newcomers, did he ever have a chance to begin with? (Also, if "relevance" and unorthodox characters were that big a deal, but Tropical Freeze is "too new," where's Cranky?)
Honestly, it's probably just cause he isn't all that popular in Japan, it's much easier for Sakurai to look on a Japanese Smash Bros. website than it is for him to read 485 pages of english people wanting K. Rool, it's not his fault, he is Japanese, after all. I'm sure he does receive feedback from NoA and NoE about popular characters but seeing allot of fans very vocal about something is entirely different.

StormC

Smash Hero
K. Rool is actually a popular request in Japan, though. Much more than Ridley.

what newcomer does K. Rool replace in-game?
This is an entirely different alternate universe we're talking about, K. Rool doesn't just slip in through a wormhole and get swapped out with someone else. Smash 4 would probably be functionally very different from the finished product we have today.

(Also, if "relevance" and unorthodox characters were that big a deal, but Tropical Freeze is "too new," where's Cranky?)
Cranky has been mostly an NPC until Tropical Freeze. He's quite below the totem pole of DK/Diddy/K. Rool/Dixie.

EDIT: Also, his size has been pretty consistent since Rare left the series, I feel:

Maybe a little taller than Bowser, but not much.

Last edited:

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Honestly, it's probably just cause he isn't all that popular in Japan, it's much easier for Sakurai to look on a Japanese Smash Bros. website than it is for him to read 485 pages of english people wanting K. Rool, it's not his fault, he is Japanese, after all. I'm sure he does receive feedback from NoA and NoE about popular characters but seeing allot of fans very vocal about something is entirely different.
But then we look at Little Mac who was included because the west wanted him. Japan had absolutely no idea who he was. Mac's inclusion makes me believe Sakurai is willing to put characters who are only popular in the west or only popular in the east as playable. Besides, K. Rool IS popular in Japan. He ranked 3rd most wanted in a character poll in Japan.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
K. Rool is actually a popular request in Japan, though. Much more than Ridley..
There are plenty more though who are much, MUCH more popular is what I'm getting at. And it's obvious Ridley isn't popular over there, have you ever heard allot of feedback about Metroid from Japan? Yeah, me neither.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
There are plenty more though who are much, MUCH more popular is what I'm getting at.
From the data we have...

No not really.

I mean :4palutena::4shulk::4megaman::mewtwopm::roypm: are all above him or tied with him but other than that, he was pretty high on the totem pool.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
There are plenty more though who are much, MUCH more popular is what I'm getting at. And it's obvious Ridley isn't popular over there, have you ever heard allot of feedback about Metroid from Japan? Yeah, me neither.
Really? Japan wanted Mewtwo, Mega Man, K. Rool, Palutena and Shulk the most. They got all but one. Who else is there that is more popular than K. Rool?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
But then we look at Little Mac who was included because the west wanted him. Japan had absolutely no idea who he was. Mac's inclusion makes me believe Sakurai is willing to put characters who are only popular in the west or only popular in the east as playable. Besides, K. Rool IS popular in Japan. He ranked 3rd most wanted in a character poll in Japan.
That's what I'm getting at it seems like he takes 1 character that the west wants and the rest is Japanese. And I understand K. Rool got 3rd in A poll but was that poll really big enough to be a deciding factor for a character? Maybe, for the first place winner, but otherwise I doubt it.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm gonna have to be the guy who would like to ask for some sources on these statistics, for future reference.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Really? Japan wanted Mewtwo, Mega Man, K. Rool, Palutena and Shulk the most. They got all but one. Who else is there that is more popular than K. Rool?
Doesn't it seem strange that K. Rool is the only one left out. He probably wasn't as popular as the others.
I'm gonna have to be the guy who would like to ask for some sources on these statistics, for future reference.
Me too, please!

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Doesn't it seem strange that K. Rool is the only one left out. He probably wasn't as popular as the others.
Me too, please!
@ChronoBound did some heavy research on the subject. Wrote an essay about it. Lemme find it.

StormC

Smash Hero
Thank you very much for digging that up. It'll be good to have on hand for future discussions.

StormC

Smash Hero
I feel like Occam's razor comes into play here: he looked at DKCR, saw no characters that were notable enough for a newcomer (or perhaps not any that would offer something unique or interesting), and shrugged and went on his way. By the time he would have heard about Tropical Freeze in any serious capacity, character decisions were likely already made (which makes me think Dixie as DLC is a strong possibility, whether we want to see that as a good or bad thing).

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
I feel like Occam's razor comes into play here: he looked at DKCR, saw no characters that were notable enough for a newcomer (or perhaps not any that would offer something unique or interesting), and shrugged and went on his way. By the time he would have heard about Tropical Freeze in any serious capacity, character decisions were likely already made (which makes me think Dixie as DLC is a strong possibility, whether we want to see that as a good or bad thing).
What is this Occam's razor?

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
K. Rool is a randomly generated name again, just like in Brawl, and so is Isaac.
Does not bode well. Also, Tiny Kong trophy.

Last edited:

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
K. Rool is a randomly generated name again, just like in Brawl, and so is Isaac.
Does not bode well.
Wow. This is not good. The moment I read this I beat Classic mode on the 3DS version and the music that plays during the final results fits my mood right now. :(
EDIT: Forget this message. It was spur of the moment and I had no idea what I was thinking.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm not sure what there is to be concerned about. DLC flies in the face of everything non-obtrusive (Mewtwo trophy).

StormC

Smash Hero
Heck, you can have the Duck Hunt dog as a platform in the Duck Hunt stage, while playing as at least four Duck Hunts!

Healthy skepticism is perfectly fine, but let's not get paranoid, guys.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well, Mewtwo kind of kicked that in the face, sooo...
Trophy > Nearly insignificant name

If they can change one (or have the trophy without it comflicting), is it not reasonable to assume that they could change the other, less significant thing as well (or have the other, less significant thing without it conflicting)?

Justin Little

Smash Ace
No matter how hard we try to get our voices heard, Nintendo will probably just ignore us. I am starting to understand how the Earthbound/Mother fans feel. What if Sakurai only listens to Neogaf when deciding on a character? That would suck, LOL! (We would still have Dixie if that were true so that theory is out)

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
No matter how hard we try to get our voices heard, Nintendo will probably just ignore us. I am starting to understand how the Earthbound/Mother fans feel. What if Sakurai only listens to Neogaf when deciding on a character? That would suck, LOL! (We would still have Dixie if that were true so that theory is out)
Earthbound got a new Assist Trophy, and a stage that shows a ton of love to various parts of the franchise, despite being a relatively unknown series (that I absolutely adore btw). Sure, losing a character sucks, but it's still represented overall pretty well.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I meant as far as getting a new game. Concerning Smash though, I hate to see that amazing stage become a 3DS exclusive. It would be incredible to see it in HD. (Unless there is something I don't know about)

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I meant as far as getting a new game. Concerning Smash though, I hate to see that amazing stage become a 3DS exclusive. It would be incredible to see it in HD. (Unless there is something I don't know about)
Oh yeah, I totally missed what you meant.

Well hey, EB eventually came to the virtual console. I thought that was impossible too.

Top Bottom