• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

D

Deleted member

Perhaps one POTD should show the Kremling King with his foot on Donkey Kong and show King K. Rool in a position where he has won.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Ok, I decided to draw Kaptain K. Rool, since I hadn't done him yet, and I couldn't draw something complicated with the time I had. Hear you go, its a bit rushed.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Among others there would simply have to be a pic of the day featuring K. Rool alongside Bowser, King Dedede and Ganondorf. (assuming that his would be page on the site wouldn't have featured one already)

We had a partially comparable pic with Bowser, King Dedede and DK (and Mario too) several months back.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Dunno what the caption would be, but I could see his PoTD being K. Rool reaching toward a banana food item while DK watches and makes that dopey 'o' face of his that's supposed to be the most hilarious thing in Smash history for. . .some reason.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
We need to assemble our Kremlings over in the poll thread, we're barely keeping our lead, not that this is a competition or anything :p

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Gamexplain has a new Q&A video out. Andre says there is a character he can't talk about yet. I assume it would be Duck Hunt because he describes the character as extremely expressive, but he already confirmed him in the video. K. Rool maybe?

Last edited:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Gamexplain has a new Q&A video out. Andre says there is a character he can't talk about yet. I assume it would be Duck Hunt because he describes the character as extremely expressive, but he already confirmed him in the video. K. Rool maybe?
OMG K Rool is expressive, #Konfermed.

But seriously, I'm curious as to what character he's referring to.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't know. It was never confirmed at any point that there would be new characters in Smash Wii U. According to what I've heard, they weren't allowed to talk about any officially unannounced unlockables. Duck Hunt still fits the bill.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Sorry if I'm a little late but do you know where I can find these polls so I can vote for our King?

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Could be, but Andre says Duck Hunt is one of his favorites. It would be weird to try to keep that hidden when he outright confirms him in the video. He could have made a mistake, though.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Sorry if I'm a little late but do you know where I can find these polls so I can vote for our King?
Right here. Gave my votes to K. Rool, Dixie, and Isaac for the newcomers; also gave my veteran votes to Snake, ICs, Lucas, and Wolf. And the King is still on top with 127 votes.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The King was winning by a landslide until Wolf shot up out of nowhere. It's crazy how many votes he has.

It makes me a bit sad about how low Snake is, and that Rayman has abysmal support.

At least K. Rool is still on top, even if by a few votes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The King was winning by a landslide until Wolf shot up out of nowhere. It's crazy how many votes he has.

It makes me a bit sad about how low Snake is, and that Rayman has abysmal support.

At least K. Rool is still on top, even if by a few votes.
Well to be fair, it's only been twelve hours; the poll is going to be a lot more fluid in its results now than it will be later.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'd rather have Snake back but Wolf is a close second for the Brawl veteran I'm hankering the most to see return.

Honestly I feel like any new third parties at this point would be kind of... overkill? Like, I feel like a third party should be a huge name that even people who don't play video games might recognize, as well as having a strong connection to Nintendo. Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man all fit that bill pretty soundly (although Pac-Man's connection to Nintendo is tenuous at best). Snake doesn't fit this criteria particularly well, but I feel like the end result of Snake's integration into Brawl was so well done that it would be a crime to drop him at this point; throwing the baby out with the bath water and all that.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Even if Wolf does overtake K. Rool, it doesn't really mean anything. Rool is at this point in time, the most popular newcomer, while Wolf is a veteran, like Mewtwo.

I find myself hoping for him more than ever, since with Mega Man and Mewtwo in, he is the only member of my most wanted trio who hasn't made it yet.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'd rather have Snake back but Wolf is a close second for the Brawl veteran I'm hankering the most to see return.

Honestly I feel like any new third parties at this point would be kind of... overkill? Like, I feel like a third party should be a huge name that even people who don't play video games might recognize, as well as having a strong connection to Nintendo. Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man all fit that bill pretty soundly (although Pac-Man's connection to Nintendo is tenuous at best). Snake doesn't fit this criteria particularly well, but I feel like the end result of Snake's integration into Brawl was so well done that it would be a crime to drop him at this point; throwing the baby out with the bath water and all that.
I agree. I think we're good on third-parties right now.

Even if Wolf does overtake K. Rool, it doesn't really mean anything. Rool is at this point in time, the most popular newcomer, while Wolf is a veteran, like Mewtwo.

I find myself hoping for him more than ever, since with Mega Man and Mewtwo in, he is the only member of my most wanted trio who hasn't made it yet.
Most wanted trio in general from what I've read. :D

If Wolf wasn't in Brawl, he wouldn't be nearly so high.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The most surprising thing is that the Ice Climbers aren't the highest veterans. Wolf really looks to be going the way of Mewtwo at this rate. Snake is understandable, given his third party status, but you would think the fact that Kojima still wants him in, and Snake even being in Brawl in the first place would help his case... I do hope he gets as high as the other big veterans eventually.

I don't think the third parties are too many, particularly since we'll be able to have eight characters anyway. Snake is more of an icon of gaming than Mega Man is, and he's a veteran. Rayman may not be the biggest icon, but he's still the mascot of Ubisoft and the protagonist of a long running franchise that's almost as old as Sonic. Plus the fact that he already has a trophy anyway.

It does warm my heart to see the Kremling King on top though, it's always been one of my hopes to see him return to his former glory. Even though he's third on my list currently, he had been number one for the longest time, and I do want him more in some respects, since the other two I want are third party characters (though one is a veteran). It's always bothersome when people just toss him to the side as being "overrated," when the reason he has so much support is because he's a genuinely good character from games that are still amazing to this day, and that many people fondly remember. He's at the top for a reason.

StormC

Smash Hero
Ice Climbers aren't high up because a lot of people realize they are technically impossible unless they go through a huge renovation (ie, removing Nana) or if Sakurai doubles back on his wording on the 3DS and Wii U sharing the same roster.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I really do dislike the idea of not supporting a character because they're "too overrated". What this usually seems to truly mean is that the character is an obvious pick and thus doesn't satisfy whatever hipster criteria is needed for someone to support a character. With the way some people dismiss K. Rool, Mewtwo, Ridley, etc. as "overrated", you'd think they'd be against Mario's inclusion too, if he wasn't already playable. God forbid so many people want a character that they have a large, legitimate support base.

Granted, there are definitely characters who I think actually are overrated. But being overrated in and of itself shouldn't deter you from supporting a character. Most characters with large fanbases have them for a reason. It's only natural that they'd have a proportionally large amount of support.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I really do dislike the idea of not supporting a character because they're "too overrated". What this usually seems to truly mean is that the character is an obvious pick and thus doesn't satisfy whatever hipster criteria is needed for someone to support a character. With the way some people dismiss K. Rool, Mewtwo, Ridley, etc. as "overrated", you'd think they'd be against Mario's inclusion too, if he wasn't already playable. God forbid so many people want a character that they have a large, legitimate support base.
Clearly the solution is to just add them, so they'll stop being talked about.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Ice Climbers aren't high up because a lot of people realize they are technically impossible unless they go through a huge renovation (ie, removing Nana) or if Sakurai doubles back on his wording on the 3DS and Wii U sharing the same roster.
It's only impossible if they truly gave up. The GameCube handled them fine, and the 3DS is more powerful than that in some respects. They may have had initial problems getting them to work with the hardware, but you can bet that there is some kind of a way that they could have made them work. I can understand that they wouldn't want to waste too much development time on them in order to finish the games, but with DLC, they have all the time they need to continue working on them.

And the Wii U shouldn't have any problems with eight Ice Climbers, since the GameCube could handle six of them.

D

Deleted member

Sad thing about polls in general is that no matter how much we try to prevent factoring in "likelihood", people will still consider it when voting for who they want. Ice Climbers probably would top the poll if that wasn't the case.

Steelia

Smash Champion

Granted, there are definitely characters who I think actually are overrated. But being overrated in and of itself shouldn't deter you from supporting a character. Most characters with large fanbases have them for a reason. It's only natural that they'd have a proportionally large amount of support.
When it comes to supporting chars, I have yet to see "supporting suchandsuchcharacter is overrated". Mewtwo had/has THE biggest following throughout Smash 4's development, and it never withered to that whole "overrated" hipster mentality. Seems when people are rooting for a character, they tend to stick with them through thick and thin, whether it be due to nostalgia ("K. Rool would be great because I loved DKC as a kid") or from an attachment to the character ("K. Rool is so bold, conniving, and over-the-top, he's awesome").

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If I had to guess, the Ice Climbers aren't higher because they're the epitome of people liking a character for their moveset alone, rather than the character itself. It's clearly a shame to lose their mechanic and they were lost for such a BS reason when the Wii U had them up and running, but when you have unique characters who people love outside of Smash, such as Mewtwo or Wolf, those are always going to rank more highly.

Would totally not be surprised to see Wolf stepping into Mewtwo's old role as the one Nintendo request ranked more highly than K. Rool, albeit with a lesser margin between them than there was between Mewtwo and Rool.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
It's only impossible if they truly gave up. The GameCube handled them fine, and the 3DS is more powerful than that in some respects. They may have had initial problems getting them to work with the hardware, but you can bet that there is some kind of a way that they could have made them work. I can understand that they wouldn't want to waste too much development time on them in order to finish the games, but with DLC, they have all the time they need to continue working on them.

And the Wii U shouldn't have any problems with eight Ice Climbers, since the GameCube could handle six of them.
Running multiple characters the way ice climbers need to is a particular weakness of the 3ds. I wouldn't count on them for dlc

StormC

Smash Hero
Sad thing about polls in general is that no matter how much we try to prevent factoring in "likelihood", people will still consider it when voting for who they want. Ice Climbers probably would top the poll if that wasn't the case.
I'd say it's more that people don't want something very unrealistic. Ridley is not a poll option, for example.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Maybe yes, maybe no. I bet a ton of those people think the only DLC characters with any chance are cut veterans plus Dixie, and yet their votes reflect desires far beyond that narrow of a scope.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Oh my... K. Rool has one vote more than Wolf... It's down to the wire...

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So I've taken the plunge and bought Donkey Kong Country on the Virtual Console. I'm enjoying it so far, I got it this morning and I'm at the snow world.

Oh, and I've also dispensed with my civic duties and voted on the poll. I realise that I've lurked here for a while, but I've never actually formally stated my support - permission to come aboard, ye swashbuckling scallywags?

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Would someone please link me to the poll? I can't seem to find it.
Here
So I've taken the plunge and bought Donkey Kong Country on the Virtual Console. I'm enjoying it so far, I got it this morning and I'm at the snow world.

Oh, and I've also dispensed with my civic duties and voted on the poll. I realise that I've lurked here for a while, but I've never actually formally stated my support - permission to come aboard, ye swashbuckling scallywags?
My pleasure!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Thank you muchly, my friend~

I should add that that's the first time I've actually watched the video.
Life-changing experience, isn't it?

I haven't updated the OP since the thread closed, but I'll get around to it once my schedule clears up. I'll probably collapse all of the outdated stuff intended on pushing K. Rool as a candidate for the default game and replace it with the DLC write-up I made in the backroom.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Oh my... K. Rool has one vote more than Wolf... It's down to the wire...
You make that sound like a bad thing :p K. Rool being up in the leagues of cut characters is an amazing achievement. Some of us were expecting he'd get floored by the likes of ICs, Snake, and Lucas as well, but nope. Pretty surprised at the amount of Wolf support, though, I thought for sure the ICs would be top contender here. But Smash could use more villains, so I ain't salty.

Top Bottom