• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Here Kutthroats, have the 4th entry in the K. Rool Pic of the Day reboot series!

Now that I have done his costumes (I may do his pilot one in the future) I will now crack down on moves. Don't mind that triforce over there. Leave any suggestions in a conversation for Monday's pic.

Last edited:

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I've already made the DLK pun! When I first posted in this thread! ...Don't copy my jokes! :C
Will the Kutthroats list still be updated? Yes? Great! Because I totally want to see my name on it!
DLK for Smash! (Get it? GET IT!?! :D)
(I also drew something for King K. Rool on deviantART, but I can't post links... :/ )
"Downloadable K. Rool/Kontent" That's my pun! My treasure! :C

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Donkey Kong's cartoon voice actor, Richard Yearwood, has just tweeted the #BringBackKRool movement unsolicited, asking how he can help out and wishing us a happy Halloween. I've asked him to follow the account so I can message him a proposal that I think would go over quite well relating to reaching out to new supporters.
I knew it, I knew he would be willing to help! I feel so proud of myself. :D

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I knew it, I knew he would be willing to help! I feel so proud of myself. :D, he responded asking me the same thing.

Last edited:

Kaptain K. Roolenstein

Smash Apprentice
Donkey Kong's cartoon voice actor, Richard Yearwood, has just tweeted the #BringBackKRool movement unsolicited, asking how he can help out and wishing us a happy Halloween. I've asked him to follow the account so I can message him a proposal that I think would go over quite well relating to reaching out to new supporters.
That. Is. Amazing. Guys, I don't think we can possibly fail now. In fact...

Happy Halloween!

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Not that any of it really matters because F-Zero is six feet under, but hey.
It hurts.

Woah. Pretty cool.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
It's somewhat disappointing to see the King being dethroned, but he's still towering as the most wanted newcomer by far.

StormC

Smash Hero
Okay, so. I think it's probably a safe bet that most of us would like to see both K. Rool and Dixie Kong as DLC. Unfortunately, various circumstances often pit them against each other, either by game development choices or angry video game fans on the internet. SO, I decided to work on something: How many times both K. Rool and Dixie have been in a game, and if their role (and the game) was major or minor.

So... without further ado:

Super NES
K. Rool
-Major role in a major game (Donkey Kong Country)
-Major role in a major game (Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest)
-Major role in a major game (Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble)

Dixie
-Major role in a major game (Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble)

Game Boy
K. Rool
-Major role in a minor game (Donkey Kong Land)
-Major role in a minor game (Donkey Kong Land 2)
-Major role in a minor game (Donkey Kong Land III)

Dixie

Nintendo 64
K. Rool
-Major role in a major game (Donkey Kong 64)

Dixie
-Nothing

Game Boy Color
K. Rool
-Major role in a remake (Donkey Kong Country GBC)

Dixie
-Nothing

Nintendo GameCube
K. Rool
-Minor role in a minor game (Donkey Konga)

Dixie
-Major role in a minor game (Donkey Konga 2)
-Major role in a minor game (Donkey Konga 3)
-Major role in a minor game (Mario Superstar Baseball)

Game Boy Advance
K. Rool
-Major role in a remake (Donkey Kong Country GBA)
-Major role in a remake (Donkey Kong Country 2 GBA)
-Major role in a remake (Donkey Kong Country 3 GBA)
-Major role in a minor game (DK: King Of Swing)

Dixie
-Minor role in a minor game (DK: King Of Swing)

Wii
K. Rool
-Major role in a minor game (Donkey Kong Barrel Blast)
-Major role in a minor game (Super Mario Sluggers)

Dixie

Nintendo DS
K. Rool
-Major role in a minor game (DK: Jungle Climber)

Dixie
-Minor role in a minor game (DK: Jungle Climber)
-Major role in a remake (Diddy Kong Racing DS)
-Major role in a minor game (Mario Hoops 3-On-3)

Wii U
K. Rool
-Nothing (as of now)

Dixie
-Major role in a major game (Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze)

Nintendo 3DS
K. Rool

-Nothing (as of now)

Dixie
-Nothing (as of now)

What's the point of all this? Well, I just did this as a bit of an exercise, you can draw your own conclusions. But, in my mind, until Tropical Freeze came out, K. Rool was definitely top dog, then one game made everyone consider him ancient history and Dixie the star of the current state of the franchise.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Okay, so. I think it's probably a safe bet that most of us would like to see both K. Rool and Dixie Kong as DLC. Unfortunately, various circumstances often pit them against each other, either by game development choices or angry video game fans on the internet. SO, I decided to work on something: How many times both K. Rool and Dixie have been in a game, and if their role (and the game) was major or minor.

Super NES
K. Rool

Dixie

Game Boy
K. Rool

Dixie

Nintendo 64
K. Rool

Dixie
-Nothing

Game Boy Color
K. Rool

Dixie
-Nothing

Nintendo GameCube
K. Rool

Dixie

Game Boy Advance
K. Rool

Dixie

Wii
K. Rool

Dixie

Nintendo DS
K. Rool

Dixie
-Major role in a minor game (Diddy Kong Racing DS)

Wii U
K. Rool
-Nothing (as of now)

Dixie

Nintendo 3DS
K. Rool

-Nothing (as of now)

Dixie
-Nothing (as of now)

What's the point of all this? Well, I just did this as a bit of an exercise, you can draw your own conclusions. But, in my mind, until Tropical Freeze came out, K. Rool was definitely top dog, then one game made everyone consider him ancient history and Dixie the star of the current state of the franchise.
That's a really good analysis you've put together. Regardless, I think that in terms of seniority, King K. Rool is still the king, even if by a small margin. I think the fact that King K is still spoken about and discussed today by the supporters shows how much love and dedication goes into seeing him in Smash Bros. It'd be great if both Dixie and King K made it in as DLC together, but I think what is commonly agreed is that King K. would offer a lot more to the table than Dixie, and has more and more growing support from big names like Richard Yearwood, who voiced King K's archenemies Donkey Kong in the cartoons. The debate of King K. Rool VS Dixie Kong is a constant one, but I think it's also the actions of the supporters that make this debate more interesting.

EDIT: In response to how many games they appeared in, I counted at least 15 for King K, 16 for Dixie Kong. So close!

New Edit: That makes 16 equal games for both King K. and Dixie.

Last edited:

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman

Super NES
K. Rool

Dixie

Game Boy
K. Rool

Dixie

Nintendo 64
K. Rool

Dixie
-Nothing

Game Boy Color
K. Rool

Dixie
-Nothing

Nintendo GameCube
K. Rool

Dixie

Game Boy Advance
K. Rool

Dixie

Wii
K. Rool

Dixie

Nintendo DS
K. Rool

Dixie

Wii U
K. Rool
-Nothing (as of now)

Dixie

Nintendo 3DS
K. Rool

-Nothing (as of now)

Dixie
-Nothing (as of now)

Interesting. I believe K Rool and Dixie both deserve a spot on the roster (voted on both of them in the DLC poll) but overall K Rool has better resume of the two.

On a different note, I've decided to download one of the DK games off the eshop. Which one do you guys recommend to start off with?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Oh, the DKC games were released on virtual console? That's great news, as I must admit (as I have said a few times before here) that I haven't played any of the original DKC games...I've always kind of been leaning towards 2 as my would be favorite, but I wouldn't know until I actually play them. Might start with the first one.

And have personally I think K. Rool and Dixie both deserve to get in, and I feel that if we do get any more DLC characters at all (which I'm almost certain we will) we'll get both of them at some point. :p

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Super NES
K. Rool

Dixie

Game Boy
K. Rool

Dixie

Nintendo 64
K. Rool

Dixie
-Nothing

Game Boy Color
K. Rool

Dixie
-Nothing

Nintendo GameCube
K. Rool

Dixie

Game Boy Advance
K. Rool

Dixie

Wii
K. Rool

Dixie

Nintendo DS
K. Rool

Dixie

Wii U
K. Rool
-Nothing (as of now)

Dixie

Nintendo 3DS
K. Rool

-Nothing (as of now)

Dixie
-Nothing (as of now)

You actually missed "Major role in a Minor game" for King K. Rool on GBA. You mentioned Dixie for King of Swing, but King K. Rool is the main antagonist and final boss of King of Swing.

I've always seen K. Rool as top dog, and numerous people on the Internet do, too. There's only a vocal minority of people who consider K. Rool "ancient history" due to one game.

Regardless, though, I agree with the general consensus, and I always have. Both Dixie and K. Rool deserve to be playable. If we HAVE to pick one, its K. Rool, he's far more iconic and far more important to the DK series than Dixie Kong, and that won't change. But both are very big DK characters.

However, quite blatantly, as a huge fan of Dixie Kong there's no way I can say she's more important than K. Rool. Dixie has had TWO 6-year absences, the first time being 8 years between DKL3 and Konga 2. K. Rool has only had one 6-year absense (and counting, though his appearance as a trophy in 3DS could count as a minor role, unless you count them more of a "cameo").

StormC

Smash Hero
Ah, you're right, I did miss King Of Swing for K. Rool. Editing that in.

On a different note, I've decided to download one of the DK games off the eshop. Which one do you guys recommend to start off with?
The first DKC.

EDIT: On a side note, I feel like the fact that K. Rool appeared in the first Donkey Kong Country gives him a pretty big priority. It's part of what makes me think Dedede and Falco are more important to Kirby and Star Fox than Meta Knight and Wolf, despite some not agreeing with that.

Last edited:
NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
this just came to my mind but there really isn't many traditional pirates in nintendo games, the only ones that come to my mind is kaptain k rool, if you guys know anymore please share them with me, not counting ridley, just ocean pirates

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
this just came to my mind but there really isn't many traditional pirates in nintendo games, the only ones that come to my mind is kaptain k rool, if you guys know anymore please share them with me, not counting ridley, just ocean pirates
Captain Syrup is the only one I can think of who is a recurring character. There are plenty others, but they're mostly oneshots.

Last edited:

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
I think he has a very strong chance (especially considering Sakurai threw the west a bone with Little Mac) but the problem is he competes with his own franchise not including him, and Dixie is a hard contender to fight against. Hell even Mario is considered more of a 'villain' to DK at this point (what with all the Mario VS. DK games being **** out no offense I love the games but damn they made a lot in the DS era). Problems are how recognizable he is in Japan and Sakurai considers him important enough to have a trophy of him in Melee, Brawl and for3DS but important enough for a character.

Japan at least also wanted Mewtwo really badly, we may need a third DK game by Retro to end an amazing trilogy with a fight against K.Rool in order to make his chance better for next time (Smash 5) or for DLC.

StormC

Smash Hero
Both Donkey Kong Country and K. Rool are quite popular in Japan, so I don't think that's an issue. By most accounts, K. Rool is just as high in demand in Japan as he is in the west.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
Both Donkey Kong Country and K. Rool are quite popular in Japan, so I don't think that's an issue. By most accounts, K. Rool is just as high in demand in Japan as he is in the west.
I'm thinking it's bigger in the west (considering DK in general is bigger in the west) also the fact that Kaptain K.Rool and Baron K. Roolstein are different characters in Japan doesn't help, but either way I don't think this will affect movesets.

I'm in total support of K. Rool, but I am scared of his chances.

StormC

Smash Hero
It's probably a safe bet that it's bigger in the west, but they certainly have their fans in Japan and the original DKC series was quite successful when they were released there.

Also, by all indications, the K. Rool trophy thing was either a) the trophy writers getting their facts wrong (not the first time by any means), or b) a joke that went awry. Every other source confirms all the K. Rool personas are treated as the same character in the Japanese games.

EDIT: Also something important to mention. The DKC cartoon was HUGELY popular in Japan.

Last edited:

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
It's probably a safe bet that it's bigger in the west, but they certainly have their fans in Japan and the original DKC series was quite successful when they were released there.

Also, by all indications, the K. Rool trophy thing was either a) the trophy writers getting their facts wrong (not the first time by any means), or b) a joke that went awry. Every other source confirms all the K. Rool personas are treated as the same character in the Japanese games.

EDIT: Also something important to mention. The DKC cartoon was HUGELY popular in Japan.
Can you post those other sources? It's hard to find them since you know 2008 wasn't the best at keeping information down.

Only one I can find is http://starmen.net/forum/?t=msg&th=44330

I looked into it, and according to the Nintendo Database forums, the Japanese continuity considers them brothers (and apparently, Baron K. Roolenstein is their cousin, but I'm still not sure about that). Brawl is actually full of things that they translated directly from Japanese but without editing them to their standard localization since the K. Rools were implied to be the same character in English releases.
Would love to see a source disproving this but either way I don't think it affects the character itself too much. There's errors in trophies all the time and having Nintendo of Japan localize things rather than us localize for the NoJ definitely makes it harder to figure out.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm thinking it's bigger in the west (considering DK in general is bigger in the west) also the fact that Kaptain K.Rool and Baron K. Roolstein are different characters in Japan doesn't help, but either way I don't think this will affect movesets.

I'm in total support of K. Rool, but I am scared of his chances.
I'm sure the Japanese have learned they aren't different characters by now

I think they even said something on a Japanese trophy of K Rool

StormC

Smash Hero
Can you post those other sources?
The best I can do offhand is this:

In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, K. Rool's trophy information erroneously states that Kaptain K. Rool is the brother of King K. Rool, which lead to some fans theorizing that King K. Rool and Kaptain K. Rool are separate characters in the Japanese script of Donkey Kong Country. However, Japanese material (such as the intro of the Japanese Game Boy Advance version of Donkey Kong Country 2) also portray Kaptain K. Rool as a disguise, and thus the trophy description is merely an error.
http://www.mariowiki.com/King_K._Rool

Japanese Wikipedia also reports that K. Rool is considered the same in Japan, but I'm not sure what page, sorry.

Last edited:
NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
since k rool is supposedly the most requested character worldwide now (don't quote me on that) do you guys think nintendo are pushing sakurai to put him in the game as dlc? its the smartest business decision

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
since k rool is supposedly the most requested character worldwide now (don't quote me on that) do you guys think nintendo are pushing sakurai to put him in the game as dlc? its the smartest business decision
I think they'd be pushing for King K. Rool if there's enough support for him from Japan, overseas and from affiliates of Nintendo, like the President of Retro Studios and Richard. At the moment, I don't think they'd be implementing him immediately until they've seen the support and demand for him as DLC, and we Kutthroats have plenty of determination.

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
Good to hear Richard Yearwood is offering support, Now if we can get someone big in the video game world or even better from Nintendo to support K. Rool. the odds of getting him in the game would drastically increase.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
Good to hear Richard Yearwood is offering support, Now if we can get someone big in the video game world or even better from Nintendo to support K. Rool. the odds of getting him in the game would drastically increase.
Well technically he's not from Nintendo but the president of Retro is supporting the movement. That's probably the best person besides from Miyamoto, Iwata or Sakurai to help support us.

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
Why should Miyamoto support KKR? Doesn't he hate DKC and Rareware and so the Kremlings?

Last edited:
Top Bottom